What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it would be a good idea to tie the rewind mechanic to a specific character or class. A Seer or fortune teller who has medium combat ability at best but who has the rewind mechanic.

It would make it easy for people to opt out of the rewind mechanic while also creating a certain risk to the mechanic since it limits your offensive abilities. 

Back to unpopular opinions:

I actually think the Dawn Brigade is a great idea for a starting party, just executed terribly. It's actually kind of fun to be training a team of scrubs from nothing to a highly-dangerous threat to the Empire- in fact, part 1 of RD (on easy/normal) is actually pretty fun for me (apart from 1-3, but that map just sucks in general). But the PROBLEM with the Dawn Brigade is that not only are they outclassed at lightspeed, but the game scales too quickly for them to catch up- even though they have 5 more maps than the Laguz Alliance by the time you get them back, their shitty bases more than likely haven't caught up to the game's level curve- it's adjusted for if this were a regular Fire Emblem game and the Dawn Brigade were all in decent levels of use, but by the time you get them back in 3/6 they've only had 11 maps and they all started at tier 1- and many of them may not even be at tier 2 yet- while all of Ike's party, and pretty much everyone that isn't a non-Sothe unit who joined from 1-P to the end of 1-4, OR Fiona (who joins on 1-6 but is still a measly cavalier), have been tier 1. Furthermore, while the enemy levels haven't changed much since 1-E, their classes have- instead of L15 Knights, Myrmidons, Soldiers, Archers and Mages, now you're fighting a bunch of L15 Laguz- which as far as I'm concerned are basically tier 2 units- and, with the exception of Sothe's Beastkiller knife and the Beastfoe scroll- both of which are missable- you have no way of doing bonus damage to them due to Tormod and Ilyana jumping ship.

Edited by GlitchWarrior

2 hours ago, GlitchWarrior said:

Back to unpopular opinions:

I actually think the Dawn Brigade is a great idea for a starting party, just executed terribly. It's actually kind of fun to be training a team of scrubs from nothing to a highly-dangerous threat to the Empire- in fact, part 1 of RD (on easy/normal) is actually pretty fun for me (apart from 1-3, but that map just sucks in general). But the PROBLEM with the Dawn Brigade is that not only are they outclassed at lightspeed, but the game scales too quickly for them to catch up- even though they have 5 more maps than the Laguz Alliance by the time you get them back, their shitty bases more than likely haven't caught up to the game's level curve- it's adjusted for if this were a regular Fire Emblem game and the Dawn Brigade were all in decent levels of use, but by the time you get them back in 3/6 they've only had 11 maps and they all started at tier 1- and many of them may not even be at tier 2 yet- while all of Ike's party, and pretty much everyone that isn't a non-Sothe unit who joined from 1-P to the end of 1-4, OR Fiona (who joins on 1-6 but is still a measly cavalier), have been tier 1. Furthermore, while the enemy levels haven't changed much since 1-E, their classes have- instead of L15 Knights, Myrmidons, Soldiers, Archers and Mages, now you're fighting a bunch of L15 Laguz- which as far as I'm concerned are basically tier 2 units- and, with the exception of Sothe's Beastkiller knife and the Beastfoe scroll- both of which are missable- you have no way of doing bonus damage to them due to Tormod and Ilyana jumping ship.

How is this an unpopular opionon? That seems like a cold take that pretty much everyone agrees with. =p

On 2/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, Sasori said:

There are a lot of complaints about axes in fe6 and I certainly get why, but I also don't really dislike the idea of axes having some accuracy issue's. Because in some games their drawbacks are barely present, while their advantages make them the best weapon type by far. This was especially noticeable in Path of Radiance where axes where just almost always the best choice.

But at their best axes have good 1-2 range with hand axes, Steel weapon access at E rank, Higher MT and not having to deal with weapon weight past early game or at all. So in the games where their accuracy drop is barely noticeable they become by far the best weapon type.

There are some good points here, but out of the games, the only ones I can think of where axes are legitimately the best weapon type, or at least a contender for such, are Blazing Blade and Path of Radiance (and Shadow Dragon as well, to an extent); one thing those all have in common is having the enemy lineup heavily favor lances, which makes axes more useful. Contrast Holy War, where axes are mega-heavy, with the Brave Axe being the one exception (there's a reason why most people see it as the only good axe in Holy War). Or Three Houses, where throwing weapons in general are at their nadir (simply put, between their high weight and low might, among other factors, there's almost no situations where I'd be better off using a hand axe or javelin instead of something else).

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

the only ones I can think of where axes are legitimately the best weapon type, or at least a contender for such, are Blazing Blade and Path of Radiance

Radiant Dawn as well, surely.

I think they at least have a case in some others, but RD's axes are great: high power, fine accuracy (Hand Axe is actually more accurate than Javelin or WInd Edge, and in general the main time enemy evade is a serious problem is the final battle and oops, Urvan has 110 hit), their weight basically never matters, hand axes are forgeable and one of the easiest ways to carve through maps. On top of that, they're the weapon of choice for Haar, generally considered the best unit in the game, as well as Titania, Jill, and Nolan, who are all excellent as well.

Is it just me, or does anyone else thinks Glen's "Dying like a true knight" in 3H feels more like Edo-era/WW2 Japan's toxic bushido?

Edited by henrymidfields

14 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else thinks Glen's "Dying like a true knight" in 3H feels more like Edo-era/WW2 Japan's toxic bushido?

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. The old lie has been repeated by many cultures across many time periods. I don't think that it makes sense to single out any one of them over others as the source of that character.

2 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. The old lie has been repeated by many cultures across many time periods. I don't think that it makes sense to single out any one of them over others as the source of that character.

Didn't know that, and Googled it. Thanks!

Edited by henrymidfields

3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if it's an unpopular Fire Emblem opinion, but I wouldn't call that attitude deceitful or toxic. Regardless of whether I agree with it or not, it has some merits.

I'm sure there are merits in moderation. And yeah, every country has this mentality to some degree. But Japan has taken this to an extreme in WW2 (to the detriment for everyone involved of the conflict), and whenever Felix calls this out, that's what I start thinking of. (Source: Stories from my grandad.)

Edited by henrymidfields

@henrymidfields Speaking as someone who has read a lot of Arthurian texts written in the middle ages, I can say that whether dying in battle like that was noble or not was a topic of heavy debate back then. A lot of texts lean towards not, but a lot of those texts were written by clergy. One thing I can say is that the "not" answer became a lot more common after the plague, the Hundred Years War, and the War of the Roses.

One thing to note about knighthood in the Middle Ages was that chivalry was not a standardized set of rules; it was a topic of debate and discussion, with everyone having different ideas on what it meant to be a true knight.

Edited by vanguard333

On 2/22/2022 at 11:17 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Radiant Dawn as well, surely.

I think they at least have a case in some others, but RD's axes are great: high power, fine accuracy (Hand Axe is actually more accurate than Javelin or WInd Edge, and in general the main time enemy evade is a serious problem is the final battle and oops, Urvan has 110 hit), their weight basically never matters, hand axes are forgeable and one of the easiest ways to carve through maps. On top of that, they're the weapon of choice for Haar, generally considered the best unit in the game, as well as Titania, Jill, and Nolan, who are all excellent as well.

Fair enough. It didn't come to mind because its enemy lineup is more diverse compared to those other games I mentioned, where lances were pretty much everywhere. Also, I'd say 1-E is an instance where enemy evade is a serious problem, for most of your units at least (though that's for different reasons).

-Sothe and Micaiah are a good match

-fates birthright is a dating simulator

-marth is a boy

-alm and celica are kind of annoying but it’s still a great game

-Henry is best boy

-Ephraim is great

-Lilina is annoying

Unsure of how unpopular this is, but I think Master Knight or a Master Knight-like class should return in some capacity, specifically for characters like Donnel, Mozu, or the Sacred Stones trainees. I often feel like most villager units in the series fail to pay back the investment because they don't really offer anything unique in return for all the EXP you sunk into them. They just kinda end up as another strong unit, and I think instead of that they should offer a unique class or skill instead.

33 minutes ago, Roy's Our Boy! said:

-Edward is a good unit

You and I are definitely in agreement about this. He is the second-trickiest to train out of the five trueblades (the trickiest being Lucia), but he is worth the effort because of how extremely strong he is as a unit.