What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

8 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Reminds me of Triangle Strategy, where horse units are weak to lance weapons.

I don`t hate Three Hopes Claude. In fact, I kinda wish they leaned further into his pragmatism and him alienating his allies. My gripes are that

Hide contents

1) Him making Leicester a Federation changes nothing. He still has meetings, him being King is no different from him being the Alliance leader and nothing that requires him being King happens at any point. It makes me wonder why they made him King in the first place.

2) He only has to suffer consequences from his actions if you don`t recruit Byleth. If you do, his plan works perfectly with no drawbacks

3) His intense hate-boner for Rhea, in my opinion, is poorly justified. She does nothing that makes his extreme dislike of her feel earned.

I made a thread about that.

It would be necro to post there now, but you can see how people tried to justify it narratively. I'm personally still in full agreement with you, though.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having such a miserable time playing awakening that I decided to play fe1 for a laugh instead and I ended up enjoying it way more lol (well until the lategame, by then i began to become overwhelmed by the tedium. Book 1 was right to cut a few maps). Maps are much better too lol.

I might even dare to say it's better than it's soulless ds remake, considering i've dropped that one multiple times midway lol. Outside of general usability and giving ballistas long range (though that kinda ruins their gimmick map), almost every single other change it made is for the worse.

Edited by Mars of Aritia

2 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

I was having such a miserable time playing awakening that I decided to play fe1 for a laugh instead and I ended up enjoying it way more lol (well until the lategame, by then i began to become overwhelmed by the tedium. Book 1 was right to cut a few maps). Maps are much better too lol.

I might even dare to say it's better than it's soulless ds remake, considering i've dropped that one multiple times midway lol. Outside of general usability and giving ballistas long range (though that kinda ruins their gimmick map), almost every single other change it made is for the worse.

Making the game actually have some semblance of difficulty was a pretty good change imo.

Not every change... The less train trading the better in my humble opinion (though I don't think this is unpopular).

An actual unpopular opinion: I don't mind avatars being added to remakes as long as the Lords are still the main characters while do everything they did in the original and they aren't hilariously overpowered.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Scarlet Blaze (plus recruit Byleth) IS the Golden Route. It is the best possible outcome for Fodlan.

Well loookong at this objectively, all Three Houses routes are out the window. As the war starts earlier and lasts longer in Three Houses, definitely a worse outckme for everyone in Fodlan.

Scarlet Blaze and Golden Wildfire go down pretty much identically. The only difference being that the Agarthans dont show up in Golden Wildfire because...well honestly I dont know why. Them showing up in Scarlet Blaze is honestly kind of random. But I guess we can assume they survive and could provide trouble in the future. But even then, you never actually rout them completely in any route as you never take on Shambala (unfortunately) only defeat Thales.

In addition to Scarlet Blaze you do fight them in Azure Gleam. But thats probably the worst route since the Agarthans ridiculously evil and incompetent rule of Adrestia was good for no one. On the other hand, Scarlet Blaze ends with Edelgard fully intending to continue war with Dimitri just for the sake of it even though Rhea and Thales are dead. So it would come down to how many more months (or years) of war everyone has to deal with to satisfy Edelgard's ego versus how bad those months of Agarthan rule is.

I think I'd go Golden Wildfire. Claude's increased power there helps maintain the balance of power better and rein in Edelgard more. The only issue is Thales not being killed but in all Three Hopes routes Shambala stands anyway meaning the Agarthans will always come back to cause trouble.

Edited by Jotari

Well looking at this objectively, all Three Houses routes are out the window. As the war starts earlier and lasts longer in Three Houses, definitely a worse outcome for everyone in Fodlan.

Disagree. Battles in Three Houses involve fairly few people on both sides, whereas battles in Three Hopes are a slaughterfest with a carnival-like atmosphere of killing as many faceless peasant conscripts as you possibly can. In one side mission Shez might kill more people than the death toll of all chapter battles in a given FE3H route post-timeskip combined. Even after spanning five years, a given Three House iteration of the war is probably less bloody than a given Three Hopes iteration of the war.

Edited by Hrothgar777

8 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

Disagree. Battles in Three Houses involve fairly few people on both sides, whereas battles in Three Hopes are a slaughterfest with a carnival-like atmosphere of killing as many faceless peasant conscripts as you possibly can. In one side mission Shez might kill more people than the death toll of all chapter battles in a given FE3H route post-timeskip combined. Even after spanning five years, a given Three House iteration of the war is probably less bloody than a given Three Hopes iteration of the war.

That's taking the face value of the gameplay at a disproportionate level of gameplay story integration. You honestly thing in the same universe, the same conflict simultaneously invplves aboutna dozen people and several thousand? Why would there be such a massive discrepancy? Why would everyone on all sides purposefully deploy fewer soldiers in Three Houses?

On 10/24/2022 at 11:39 PM, Jotari said:

Making the game actually have some semblance of difficulty was a pretty good change imo.

Yeah they made it more difficult by:

- Raising the stat caps and not bothering to adjust unit bases or weapon ranks to compensate, meaning most units went from servicable to completely useless.

- Adding a pointless weapon triangle in a game where axes pretty much disappear past early game.

- Nerfing Mars into the ground so that he is now completely worthless. he can't even reliably beat the final boss anymore, and he's the main character!

- Raising early game boss stats sky high so that beating them pretty much comes down to luck (they even intentionally added save points to encourage save scumming!)

And mitigating that difficulty is even easier than the first game, as the dumb forge system allows you to buff effective weapons to one shot the majority of threats in the game. and now that there is crit avoid, warp skipping is safer than ever. (The one thing they should've nerfed in this remake they didn't, which says it all). There's also the invincible general Wolf thanks to the poorly thought out reclass system to help you cheese the game.

5 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

(they even intentionally added save points to encourage save scumming!)

DSFE's save points are, by a country mile, the best in-chapter save system of the series and I will not stand for this slander.

6 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

And mitigating that difficulty is even easier than the first game, as the dumb forge system allows you to buff effective weapons to one shot the majority of threats in the game. and now that there is crit avoid, warp skipping is safer than ever.

Still harder than just generally playing the original without paying attention to what you're doing.

• In general, I think the cast of Three Houses is pretty good! But the more I think about Hapi, the more I realize...I don't like Hapi at all. Her sighing gimmick is really dumb, I don't care for her design, and her personality in general kinda irritates me.
  • "Everyone can marry the avatar no matter the gender" would be a bad way for the series to go that would only further the bad player worship aspect while also restricting character personality for the cast as a whole.

I actually kinda like the avatar mechanic. It was done very well in Fates from a gameplay perspective, which is the one of overriding importance, and let you do neat things like make any Conquest character you wanted an Oni Savage.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I actually kinda like the avatar mechanic. It was done very well in Fates from a gameplay perspective, which is the one of overriding importance, and let you do neat things like make any Conquest character you wanted an Oni Savage.

I actually reckon most people would agree with that opinion. They just don't realize they have it. People complain about Avatars a lot based on the story without really considering the benefits or drawbacks they bring to the game from a mechanical aspect. And that's kind of significant. Same with Fates's child units. I think I'm now at a point where I can say they were a good inclusion in the game. Yes, they were stupidly justified in terms of the story, but in their own right they're all decent characters and, while some of the paralogues are poorly balanced, they work functionally as units, doing a decent job of carving out niches for themselves in a game with one of the largest casts in the series. And to give some kind of defense of the narrative way they're used, both sides of the conflict do have a history of kidnapping children...Course the Deep Realms seem to be bandit filled realms of chaos anyway. Maybe there just shouldn't have been paralogues for them at all.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I actually reckon most people would agree with that opinion. They just don't realize they have it.

"Most Americans are libertarians."

-Gary Johnson

People complain about Avatars a lot based on the story without really considering the benefits or drawbacks they bring to the game from a mechanical aspect. And that's kind of significant. Same with Fates's child units. I think I'm now at a point where I can say they were a good inclusion in the game.

Yes. Come to the side that is right, Jotari. Gameplay is king, and Fates is cool.

Yes, they were stupidly justified in terms of the story, but in their own right they're all decent characters and, while some of the paralogues are poorly balanced, they work functionally as units, doing a decent job of carving out niches for themselves in a game with one of the largest casts in the series.

Other advantages of child units is that they:

1. Provide you with replacement units at an appropriate level for their join-time
  2. Are pretty flexible depending on their mothers and inherited skills

Both of which are pretty neat gameplay boons in their own right.

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

In general, I think the cast of Three Houses is pretty good! But the more I think about Hapi, the more I realize...I don't like Hapi at all. Her sighing gimmick is really dumb, I don't care for her design, and her personality in general kinda irritates me.

As someone who loves Hapi.....yeah her sighing gimmick IS really dumb. It sounds as if its a trait for someone's third rate OC. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

But the more I think about Hapi, the more I realize...I don't like Hapi at all. Her sighing gimmick is really dumb, I don't care for her design, and her personality in general kinda irritates me.

Agreed, i find her general personality quite annoying, her sighing gimmick only adds to that.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

As someone who loves Hapi.....yeah her sighing gimmick IS really dumb. It sounds as if its a trait for someone's third rate OC. 

This pretty much. Hapi the sharp-tongued cynic who throws shade at the church? She's great, I like her a lot. The sighing gimmick is a bit much for me to take seriously. It belongs in Awakening or Fates. (I say that with no shade intended towards those games, they just have a different tone than Three Houses.)

I feel similarly about Constance's exaggerated split personality and Yuri's incredibly convoluted backstory.

27 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

This pretty much. Hapi the sharp-tongued cynic who throws shade at the church? She's great, I like her a lot. The sighing gimmick is a bit much for me to take seriously. It belongs in Awakening or Fates. (I say that with no shade intended towards those games, they just have a different tone than Three Houses.)

I feel similarly about Constance's exaggerated split personality and Yuri's incredibly convoluted backstory.

Still, I'd say Hapi is a bad concept done well, which is better than a good concept done bad. I can live with her dumb monster gimmick since I appreciate the rest of her. And while a bad concept I think its at least incorporated in her personality well enough.

Constance split personality confuses me. It seemed as if its there because the writers really wanted a funny personality gimmick, but didn't realize that being a Fodlandian L'arachel already is the funny gimmick. 

I think the "unintentionally summons monsters" gimmick could have worked with a more logical queue. Like if they were attracted to your blood (obviously, tying that particular gimmick to a female character comes with its own problems). But like, imagine if every time a troublemaker like Balthus got in a fight and bled, monsters would show up. That has both comedic and dramatic potential. And also presents gameplay possibility of say... an overpowered high risk unit who summons monsters when dropping below 25% hp.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Out of the Wolves I consider Yuri to be the worst of them. His personality is fine but he's just so convoluted. Its like they stuffed the backstories of multiple different characters in him.

He's semi raised by an apostle, he was an assassin as a kid, then an adopted lord in the Kingdom, then became the maffia boss of western Fodlan while also being Aelfic's right hand and Rhea's double agent, on top of being Bernadetta's first friend too. 

Yuri's only barely an adult so I'm wondering where he found the time to do all of that. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its like they stuffed the backstories of multiple different characters in him.

Exactly my thoughts, his backstory felt too involved with too many different things.

With that said, Constance is my least favourite Ashen Wolf overall. Not only do I not find her personality endearing, her split personality feels like a gimmick that exists just to make you feel bad for her.