What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

12 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

From what I can tell, the reason Mangs thinks Jaffar is only meh is because he's in a class with only 6 Movement that's locked to 1-Range fighting.  From this perspective, being the best in a subpar class is not particularly impressive.

I'm not saying this is the right way to think, I'm just trying to help you understand.

It's also due to subpar caps in areas like strength.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

The issue is the class Jaffar is stuck in. Like what does his class have anything to do with him being just meh? And that is what I don't get. Saying that he is meh because he's an assassin is really an odd reason especially when you consider that he's the best assassin in the entire game because he doesn't need much of investment. 

Maybe it's because Assassin's caps are pretty bad. Also, he is sword locked and has no mount. Also, I think you are missing the point that Mangs was doing a ranked run. Jaffar isn't worth the deployment slot since he is promoted, so he gets less exp and you would prefer to use an unpromoted thief for stealing to help your funds rank.

In any normal playthrough, Jaffar is one of the better units, especially if you haven't trained Legault or Matthew.

Unpopular opinion: Micaiah is definitely not a Mary Sue, but I wish she was one. I'd take a Mary Sue over an extremely hypocritical, morally evil person almost always.

Another unpopular opinion, Nohr Corrin is way less annoying than Micaiah. Never did Corrin claim the Nohr invasion of Hoshido was right. In fact, the fact he was so apologetic is why so many hate him. Micaiah, on the other hand, blamed Daein's fate on Crimea and Ike, even though it was 100% her country's fault, for invading Crimea, which was known for being pacific, and never once felt the need to apologize for her awful actions. She'd kill everyone else in the world to save Daein. I find that extremely despicable, specially considering Daein is a racist, war crazed country. She should be blaming Ashnard for everything, not the biggest victims, who only fought back.

Edited by Nobody

18 hours ago, Harvey said:

From this video....

There are a lot of things that I disagree with.

1. I don't understand how they tend to bash both Wil and Rebecca and yet give high praises for Louise. Archers in Blazing Blade are 2 ranged locked so they are obviously not going to be used in frontlines unless when it comes to fliers in which case, none of them will be able to one round then unless the archers are given enough investment. I can understand why they don't want to use either of the archers but saying that Louise is better than both combined is just downright wrong and unfair.

2. Raven getting a low rating is odd unless you're talking about his character. His bases are really good even without hard mode and he can also get access to axes making him a 1-2 range killing machine. That low luck doesn't mean much to him in the long run because enemies don't have enough luck to crit him except the ones with killing edges.

3. The other thing that I don't get is how Lyn gets horrible ratings when Florina, Fiora get higher ratings than her when both of them have horrible bases at their join time.

4.  Renault may not be a good unit in terms of combat but he is certainly one good staff bot as he is the only way to get the fortify staff which is very useful especially towards the endgame.

5. Saying that the Assasin class being the worst and then saying that Jaffar is ok because of his bases is just downright pitiful. If Jaffar has good bases, he's got good bases and being an assasin has nothing to do with his bases. 

Louise is way better than Wil and Rebecca because the core issue with Archer is exp acquistion while Louise arrives pre trained. Reb and Wil both had shit base. In a comparative sense Rath didnt get rated that poorly. The optimal choice for Archer is indeed Louise because its better to bench Rebecca and Wil in favor of Sain and then pick up Louise later in the game for free

Mekkah actually praised the fuck out of Renault. Like seriously hes probably the one person you would think off when talking about someone who hyped Renault. The thing is being alvailable for practically 1 chapter had its downside. By all means Renault is arguably a 3.5 star unit

Also Assassin and base is relevant. Matthew did not get any STR on promotion and comes with rather shit base. Jaffar had an ok enough base to the point that hes a prime bosskiller in FE7 late game 0% growth. The statement mate there is more along the lines of "Assassin is quite a terrible class but Jaffar is ok"

35 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

On Reddit, Mangs gave Louise a two-star. The five stars was obviously a joke. She does buff Pent and gets buffed by Pent in return. Pent is probably the second best unit in the game so that must count for something. 

Interesting.  I never knew that.  Then again, I don't use Reddit.

Wait are people actually taking Mangs' videos seriously?

They guy's a living meme. His videos are almost always shitposts even when it's unintentional. 

If you're taking him seriously you're a manic.

Thant being said I love Mangs because of his status as a complete and total failure. His videos are hilarious because of it and with Mekkah there to chide him it's way more entertaining than any mediocre FE LP. While not particularly amazing at FE the fact he's been able to make a fairly popular brand off of him being a failure, intentionally or not, is amazing and you have to respect him for that.

@Mangs beat all FE games except FE12 on their hardest difficulties (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). He tends to fuck up majorly and in entertaining ways, but he's not a bad player by any means - not to mention the difficulty of playing and commenting at the same time. Calling him a "complete and total failure" is insulting and incredibly arrogant.

6 hours ago, Greencapps said:

They guy's a living meme. His videos are almost always shitposts even when it's unintentional. 

Thant being said I love Mangs because of his status as a complete and total failure. His videos are hilarious because of it and with Mekkah there to chide him it's way more entertaining than any mediocre FE LP. While not particularly amazing at FE the fact he's been able to make a fairly popular brand off of him being a failure, intentionally or not, is amazing and you have to respect him for that.

I hope you realize that he's an actual member here.  If you don't like him, that's fine.  But it is NOT okay to insult other people like this.

7 hours ago, Greencapps said:

I know it's the wrong place to argue about LPers, but I'm honest enough to say, when I came to his channel and watched his FE9 LP back in 2014, I was seriously thinking he's a troll. I never ever saw someone failing in the prolog and complaining that Berserk Ashnard actually moves in hard mode. It felt like bad comedy for me. Still funny enough to rewatch it. I don't share his playstyle and some of his comments. Nevertheless he has done some very informative videos which include serious content. So it's wrong to discredit his seriousness.

Ok yikes. 

First off I don't hate the guy. I love Mangs and his content. He's probably my favorite FE Youtuber at that moment. So no disrespect to the guy.

Secondly when I was talking about how much of a failure he is I was being hyperbolic. He clearly does have enough skill to get through some of the things he's done. I was more referring to the fact he has made a brand around the fuck ups. 

I apologize if my statement came off as rude because that wasn't the intention.

In retrospect it probably would have been better to point of that many of Mangs' initial ranking of the units were pretty ill informed and changed by the end of the series so taking that as a popular opinion came off as comedic to me. That and taking one person's opinion as a popular opinion as also quite hilarious.

Again though I apologize if I came off as rude or flamey in that post. I didn't intend it that way and I'll try to make it clearer in the future should a similar situation arise.

18 hours ago, Nobody said:

Unpopular opinion: Micaiah is definitely not a Mary Sue, but I wish she was one. I'd take a Mary Sue over an extremely hypocritical, morally evil person almost always.

Another unpopular opinion, Nohr Corrin is way less annoying than Micaiah. Never did Corrin claim the Nohr invasion of Hoshido was right. In fact, the fact he was so apologetic is why so many hate him. Micaiah, on the other hand, blamed Daein's fate on Crimea and Ike, even though it was 100% her country's fault, for invading Crimea, which was known for being pacific, and never once felt the need to apologize for her awful actions. She'd kill everyone else in the world to save Daein. I find that extremely despicable, specially considering Daein is a racist, war crazed country. She should be blaming Ashnard for everything, not the biggest victims, who only fought back.

The way I see it, Micaiah's blaming of Ike for Daein's destruction is justified by the point of view. The average citizen of Daein most likely only knew that Crimea was invaded, and they were probably given reason why by Ashnard. They probably thought they were in the right, and then this army comes, invades Daein, kills the king, and hands over control to Begnion, who then put the country through hell. Of course people would blame the leader of the army that invaded. In Micaiah's mind, her country was destroyed by someone. Of course, she would hate and blame Ike rather than Ashnard, because Ashnard was the ruler of her country. As far as the racism of Daein, they entire country seems to have been raised like this, and probably think that it is the right way of thinking.  

Note: I apologize if my response seems poorly written or repetitive. The tl;dr is basically the idea of "My country, right or wrong," (although the phrase is usually used improperly, like how I am using it here), or the idea of Nationalism (extreme patriotism)

Edited by FRZNHeir

I'm probably going to get some flak out of this but I think Ryoma should have been a gotoh unit.

What I mean by this is that he should just come at the endgame and not earlier than that. 

I think FE13 and FE14 poisons its archetypes and ruins all of them by association. 

Nobody will be able to look at Innes and Navarre seriously after what New FE did to them.

Innes and Lon'qu are pretty much the same as Takumi and Navarre with the only difference that Navarre and Takumi have less personality than Innes and Lon'qu.

Edited by Harvey

26 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Innes and Lon'qu are pretty much the same as Takumi and Navarre with the only difference that Navarre and Takumi have less personality than Innes and Lon'qu.

I think you mixed up Takumi and Innes in your post.

Edited by Gruntagen

A big problem with Fates is the lack of good male characters, either as playable characters or as villains.  Quite a few of them are these weird effeminate types that irritate me, and have these ridiculous dialogues.  Whatever happened to making a badass character like Hector, Black Knight, etc.?  I didn't like Owain, Izuma, Zola, Jakob, the irritating guy with the "greatest hair in the realm" that traps you in his castle, Iago.  The list could go on and on.

I don't want 3rd tier promotions to come back. Ever. It's nothing but a spectacle gimmick and a waste of resources. Just make the 2nd tier promotions look as cool as the third tier designs you have planned and use all those model, sprite and animation resources that would've gone into making the middle tier to make a wider range of different classes to use.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I don't want 3rd tier promotions to come back. Ever. It's nothing but a spectacle gimmick and a waste of resources. Just make the 2nd tier promotions look as cool as the third tier designs you have planned and use all those model, sprite and animation resources that would've gone into making the middle tier to make a wider range of different classes to use.

That's not at all why they were in RD. They existed because

A) Radiant Dawn was a full 10+ hours longer than pretty much any FE, and to keep the gameplay feeling like it was progressing, characters couldn't just stop at the second tier. They could have if they shifted focus a bit, or if they chopped the game down, but that's clearly not what the developers wanted from RD. They definitely wanted a big, long, epic game.

B) From a narrative standpoint, you would either have to reconcile that either Ike's now legendary crew of mercenaries were just as strong as a batch of ragtag orphans and nobodies from Daein fighting for independence, or that they were incapable of getting much stronger throughout the entirety of RD. Either one of these two scenarios isn't compelling.

Third tiers only ever exist in FE2/15 outside of this, and that games has a wildly different class structure that isn't really comparable to anything else in the franchise.

If you don't like third tiers, cool, but they weren't just thrown into RD for spectacle. It was a huge game, and even with the huge roster, they needed to expand the standard class system for both gameplay and narrative reasons.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

A) Radiant Dawn was a full 10+ hours longer than pretty much any FE, and to keep the gameplay feeling like it was progressing, characters couldn't just stop at the second tier. They could have if they shifted focus a bit, or if they chopped the game down, but that's clearly not what the developers wanted from RD. They definitely wanted a big, long, epic game.

B) From a narrative standpoint, you would either have to reconcile that either Ike's now legendary crew of mercenaries were just as strong as a batch of ragtag orphans and nobodies from Daein fighting for independence, or that they were incapable of getting much stronger throughout the entirety of RD. Either one of these two scenarios isn't compelling.

Third tiers only ever exist in FE2/15 outside of this, and that games has a wildly different class structure that isn't really comparable to anything else in the franchise.

If you don't like third tiers, cool, but they weren't just thrown into RD for spectacle. It was a huge game, and even with the huge roster, they needed to expand the standard class system for both gameplay and narrative reasons.

Just out of curiosity, exactly how long is it compared to other FE games?

Because when looking at the main story side of things alone, Its only a few hours longer compared to PoR and Mystery of the Emblem(if the fire emblem list doesn't show up, you have to type Fire Emblem in the search bar for the list to show up due to website issues).

Now I haven't played RD or PoR. Its just that the hour difference isn't that significant when comparing them both.

I actually really liked Warriors' story, and I feel like Rowan and Lianna learned a lot from Marth and Caeda. This comes from the ending cutscene when everyone goes home, Marth and Caeda are the last to speak to the twins.

Nyna was a really good character. She's so wise, and her relationship with Camus was tragic af. She's also got a really nice design.

I don't mind "Route the enemy" maps. It gives me EXP and it's fun to just slaughter everyone. It's probably why I like Awakening so much.

I never liked reclassing. I prefer to stick with the classes which make sense in the story. Though, Awakening's second seals have a certain appeal...

Sometimes, the older pairings are the best: Marth x Caeda, Alm x Celica, Roy x Lilina, Eliwood x Ninian and Hector x Lyn.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

The problem with third tiers in FE10 is that the game's split up between multiple parties.  If it was just the Dawn Brigade through the whole game with the length left alone or something, then yeah, I'd say that third tiers are absolutely justified.  

However, that's not how it is in the actual game.  The Dawn Brigade has to deal with a lot of catching up while only getting slightly more chapters that the mercs to do it in.  I'd actually argue the three tier system is and the Mercs basically not dealing with it is part of the reason FE10's character balancing is so skewed in the Merc's favor.  It just handicaps the Dawn Brigade by forcing them through an entire extra strength tier and not giving them nearly enough time to go through a second with more than like, one unit.

For most characters Radiant Dawn is a two tiered game and the Dawn Brigade is essentially a party of trainees in comparison.  

The two solutions to this are 1. Axing third tiers and dialing back the Merc's initial strength or 2. Adding way more "tier 2" Dawn Brigade Chapters.

2 hours ago, Lau said:

I actually really liked Warriors' story, and I feel like Rowan and Lianna learned a lot from Marth and Caeda. This comes from the ending cutscene when everyone goes home, Marth and Caeda are the last to speak to the twins.

Except when Ceada says to support each other like they do, and I"m like, "But not exactly like them." We don't need another Ephraim and Eirika.

I like having the multiplier in Heroes's Voting Gauntlets.  Even if it means there's a chance that my favorite character gets upset out of a victory, it's still more exciting because it feels more like a battle and not just a boring popularity contest.