What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

8 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I wasn't talking about platonic relationships but yes Eliwood and Hector's relationship is better written IMO. Their relationships with Lyn are good too, especially Lyn and Hector, but Lyn does feel like a third wheel at times so they aren't as good IMO.

When I talked about romantic relationships, I meant canonical ones and I don't think Hector or Lyn have any canonical relationships. I do think Eliwood and Ninian is canon despite Eliwood having other pairings. 

First, I want you to read my Micaiah personality analysis so you can understand some references. 

Alright, the reason why I think Micaiah X Sothe is the most developed relationship that ends up in a romantic pairing at the end is because we see in the story itself how much each of them mean to each other. Every single death quote of Micaiah references Sothe and she has a mental breakdown when Tibarn captures and drops him which causes a moral dilemma for her as she's forced to choose between Sothe or continuing the war. Similarly, Sothe's forced to choose Micaiah over Ike despite Ike having the moral high ground. So their relationship has an effect on how the plot goes and further shows just how important they are for each other while also putting them in tough situations. Sothe's obsession with defending Micaiah's life as well as honour can be quite endearing. But when Sothe takes it too far and is too overprotective, Micaiah herself reprimands him which is a natural course of action and she sort of acts like the audience's surrogate for being irritated at him. Also, Micaiah plays around with Sothe and teases him several times throughout the game and it's nice to see that side of her when she's usually very polite and to the point with others.  

Finally, I like how their relationship is more compelling than love at first sight and both have compelling reasons to be close to the other. Sothe was a homeless dude so Micaiah taking care of him meant she's the only one who nurtured him. Micaiah herself remained isolated from people so the only one she had more a large portion of her life is Sothe. So the weight these two have with each other is bigger than the other lord pairings. 

I see. I agree with your reasoning for Micaiah although the relationship being romantic instead of platonic has some strange implications. I would consider Lyn to be the closest thing to a canon love interest to Hector if only for their chemistry and shared scenes as main characters.

There aren't a lot of canon lord pairings to compare to. Marth and Caeda, and Sigurd and Deirdre come from very underwritten games so there isn't a lot to say there. I don't know about Leif but Roy, Eirika, Ephraim, Ike, Chrom and Corrin don't seem to have canon love interests (although some have more probable love interests). Alm and Celica have negative chemistry, in my opinion (Alm's saint like patience could make him a partner for anyone).

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I see. I agree with your reasoning for Micaiah although the relationship being romantic instead of platonic has some strange implications. I would consider Lyn to be the closest thing to a canon love interest to Hector if only for their chemistry and shared scenes as main characters.

If you look at Support growth in FE7, you find:

• EliwoodxHector- has a growth rate of 3, the median/faster average value, and a base point total of 72, so in three turns they can get a C.
  • EliwoodxNinian- has a growth rate of 5, the highest in the game no other support has; definitely compensates for a 0 base.
  • EliwoodxLyn- 10 base, 2 growth, the slow/slower average value.
  • LynxFlorina is her fastest support, it starts at 76 points and has a growth of 4, the "high" value. They can get a C after just one turn.
  • LynxRath, starts with 15 points, growth of 4.
  • LynxKent- base of 20, growth of 3.
  • HectorxLyn- base of 0, growth of 3.
  • HectorxMatthew- base of 20, growth of 3.
  • HectorxFlorina is 15 base, 2 growth, and Farina is the bare minimum- 0 base, 1 growth.

Note that +4s are found also on the following pairings:

• IsadoraxHarken (40 base)
  • BartrexKarla (5 base)
  • FlorinaxFiora (35 base like her Farina, but that is +3)
  • FlorinaxNinian (0 base)
  • RathxGuy (0 base). This one makes little sense when compared with the rest of the +4s, since these two are neither siblings nor BFFs nor lovers nor involve somebody with availability issues. Their support's dialogue isn't exactly stupendous either (but from the opening, I think it had potential). What was IS thinking here?

45 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

RathxGuy (0 base). This one makes little sense when compared with the rest of the +4s, since these two are neither siblings nor BFFs nor lovers nor involve somebody with availability issues. Their support's dialogue isn't exactly stupendous either (but from the opening, I think it had potential). What was IS thinking here?

Aren’t they from the same tribe (both Kutolah)?  That’s my guess

9 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

There aren't a lot of canon lord pairings to compare to. Marth and Caeda, and Sigurd and Deirdre come from very underwritten games so there isn't a lot to say there. I don't know about Leif but Roy, Eirika, Ephraim, Ike, Chrom and Corrin don't seem to have canon love interests (although some have more probable love interests). Alm and Celica have negative chemistry, in my opinion (Alm's saint like patience could make him a partner for anyone).

Leif is supposed to get with Nanna, but like the GBA lords it's not set in stone. If you play Thracia it's pretty obvious honestly. There is even a character who Leif rejects because of his feelings for Nanna.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

• EliwoodxHector- has a growth rate of 3, the median/faster average value, and a base point total of 72, so in three turns they can get a C.
  • EliwoodxNinian- has a growth rate of 5, the highest in the game no other support has; definitely compensates for a 0 base.
  • LynxFlorina is her fastest support, it starts at 76 points and has a growth of 4, the "high" value. They can get a C after just one turn.
  • HectorxFlorina is 15 base, 2 growth, and Farina is the bare minimum- 0 base, 1 growth.

Note that +4s are found also on the following pairings:

• IsadoraxHarken (40 base)
  • BartrexKarla (5 base)
  • FlorinaxFiora (35 base like her Farina, but that is +3)
  • FlorinaxNinian (0 base)
  • RathxGuy (0 base). This one makes little sense when compared with the rest of the +4s, since these two are neither siblings nor BFFs nor lovers nor involve somebody with availability issues. Their support's dialogue isn't exactly stupendous either (but from the opening, I think it had potential). What was IS thinking here?

It's quite interesting that Florina is one of the only characters with multiple high-growth supports; and that she is also able to support Serra (the character with the most supports with bare minimum growth), and probably funnier is the fact that Hector's growth with Florina isn't as bad as one would expect from a girl scared for men (specially the big, huge, intidimating ones like Hector); and of course, it's her only male support.

The only other characters that lack multiple opposite sex supports have canon couples/spouses or are a bit too old like Marcus.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Support points and growths are an interesting point to look at. One could look at them and make the argument that those that start with the most points and have the fastest growths are the best pair and most rational conclusion for "closest thing to canon" but I'd argue this can be misleading. In the case of Chrom, he has the fastest support with Sumia but it's also backed up with them sharing a cutscene (dubbed "Love Birds" in the localized version) and Sumia clearly being the mother of Lucina in the opening video. Robin is also a likely candidate (despite being in the slowest growth tier) but it gets a little murky when Robin can be a male just as often. The Awakening support growth speed can be rather arbitrary at times, like Gaius being the fastest support for Tharja of all people.

FE7 takes a different approach where people with established relationships understandably have high starting values and generally higher growths. Based on these values, one might assume that Hector x Florina, Eliwood x Ninian and Lyn x Rath (Lyn doesn't have any established children in the future so she could remain single) are the most likely. Lyn is Hector's second slowest (and Hector is Lyn's slowest) support which would make them seem an unlikely couple. But that's exactly the story being told. Lyn thinks very poorly of Hector at first but very gradually develops a strong bond. It's not until the conclusion of the game that she admits that she was completely wrong about him. Look at the emotional connection those two had compared to the likes of Hector and Florina who had one comedy scene in the game and a support where they barely talk to each other.

That's my take on it, anyway. I know it's largely subjective how one would weigh each factor in determining the best pairings. If you think Eliwood x Tuberculosis, Hector x Armads or Lyn x Plains is canon, more power to you.

5 hours ago, Tuvy2 said:

Leif is supposed to get with Nanna, but like the GBA lords it's not set in stone. If you play Thracia it's pretty obvious honestly. There is even a character who Leif rejects because of his feelings for Nanna.

I see. There are definitely some implied partners in the series. My memory of FE6 is foggy but FE7 seemed to imply that Lilina would be Roy's eventual partner as well.

Edited by NekoKnight

33 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I see. There are definitely some implied partners in the series. My memory of FE6 is foggy but FE7 seemed to imply that Lilina would be Roy's eventual partner as well.

Well, you can more or less apply the same support base and growths logic there as well. RoyxLillina has a 56 base with a +4 growth. That's just one turn away from C support. Also, fun little facts. That +4 is the only one in the game. It's also the highest support growth. That 56 base is also the highest. I'd say that speaks a lot, if only just from a gameplay perspective.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, you can more or less apply the same support base and growths logic there as well. RoyxLillina has a 56 base with a +4 growth. That's just one turn away from C support. Also, fun little facts. That +4 is the only one in the game. It's also the highest support growth. That 56 base is also the highest. I'd say that speaks a lot, if only just from a gameplay perspective.

Isn't Lilina the only one of Roy's lady friends that actually gets a custom scene at the end of the game, too? During Guinivere's crowning, I believe. The rest only get the modified "where are they now" blurb for the character records.

And it might also be worth pointing out that Lalum, Shanna, and Sophia's supports with Roy are all literally as slow as they can be (1 base and +1 growth), which combined with FE6's limitations to building supports almost puts those romances into Easter Egg territory. Cecilia is a bit more reasonable (20 base, +2 growth), though.

Edited by ping

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

FE7 takes a different approach where people with established relationships understandably have high starting values and generally higher growths. Based on these values, one might assume that Hector x Florina, Eliwood x Ninian and Lyn x Rath (Lyn doesn't have any established children in the future so she could remain single.) Lyn is Hector's second slowest (and Hector is Lyn's slowest) support which would make them seem an unlikely couple. But that's exactly the story being told. Lyn thinks very poorly of Hector at first but very gradually develops a strong bond. It's not until the conclusion of the game that she admits that she was completely wrong about him. Look at the emotional connection those two had compared to the likes of Hector and Florina who had one comedy scene in the game and a support where they barely talk to each other.

That's my take on it, anyway. I know it's largely subjective how one would weigh each factor in determining the best pairings. If you think Eliwood x Tuberculosis, Hector x Armads or Lyn x Plains is canon, more power to you.

I was just offering up the support data to see what it suggests. I wasn't actually arguing it always leads to a certain conclusion. And I'm an ELywood person myself, mostly because the relationship is so natural (unlike NinianxEliwood, which is heavier with cliche than the FE7 Durandal).

And your interpretation of the relative sluggishness of LynxEliwood is interesting.

Lastly, I did write a vignette of Rath x Plains once.

5 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Aren’t they from the same tribe (both Kutolah)?  That’s my guess

It is just weird when you consider who isn't a +4. Jaffar and Nino aren't, Raven and Priscilla or Lucius aren't, and Rebecca and Wil are childhood friends sharing a brother/best friend. Although I perhaps I overestimate the importance of growth over base. Although even here, NinoxJaffar seems lacking at 25 points.

And just to include more of the GBA support factoids while I'm at it.

For Binding, only 60/120/200 points are needed, unlike the 80/160/240 of Blazing. Although there is no limited in Blazing on the number of supports obtainable in a given chapter. So they're actually slower in FE7 if of the same value between the games.

Only RoyxLilina is +4 (+5 does not exist), and beyond that there is 14 supports of a +3 growth. Blazing has 34 supports that are of a +3 growth, despite a roster that is a bit smaller.

Sacred Stones keeps the 80/160/240 of Blazing, but got rid of the +5. In this roster of 33, there are only four supports of a +4 value:

1. EirikaxEphraim
  2. RossxGarcia
  3. MyrrhxEphraim
  4. TethysxGerik

ColmxNeimi has the highest base value, 80, so they can C rank instantly- as if to quietly teach you supports exist.

Most supports in SS are +2 (43) or +3 (35), there is only one +1, RennacxTethys. For Binding, there are 58 +2s and 67 +1s; for Blazing it is 49 +2s and 23 +1s. Even as the cost for supporting went up, the quantity of the lower values went dramatically down.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, Tuvy2 said:

No, it's pretty set in stone.

FE5 says Nanna becomes queen of Thracia, with Leif being king.

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

No, it's pretty set in stone.

FE5 says Nanna is the queen of Thracia, with Leif being king.

I believe the whole permadeath thing is counted here as "not set in stone". Even Marth's games aknowledge the scenario of Caeda dying during the course of the games. Though we know it's canon she lives. So far that's not the case for Nanna... I think... Could be wrong here.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I believe the whole permadeath thing is counted here as "not set in stone". Even Marth's games aknowledge the scenario of Caeda dying during the course of the games. Though we know it's canon she lives. So far that's not the case for Nanna... I think... Could be wrong here.

We know it's canon that she survives Thracia 776, which is where the ending comes from. So I'd say it holds up.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

We know it's canon that she survives Thracia 776, which is where the ending comes from. So I'd say it holds up.

Does it? This here shows there is a character ending for Leif if Nanna died. Her survival is not guaranteed. The game itself, at least, is not a source to canonize her survial, or death.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Does it? This here shows there is a character ending for Leif if Nanna died. Her survival is not guaranteed. The game itself, at least, is not a source to canonize her survial, or death.

There's an ending that she dies for Thracia, but she's canonical to FE4, which takes place after the events of FE5, so...

It'd be like arguing that it's not canonical that anybody besides Ike, Mist and Sothe survive FE9, even though we have a sequel that shows that yes, everyone's alive and well(Except Largo).

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

There's an ending that she dies for Thracia, but she's canonical to FE4, which takes place after the events of FE5, so...

It'd be like arguing that it's not canonical that anybody besides Ike, Mist and Sothe survive FE9, even though we have a sequel that shows that yes, everyone's alive and well(Except Largo).

Canonical only up to the beginning of Genealogy's Chapter 7, which only covers up to Chapter 19 of Thraccia. Anything afterwards is fair game. We need to also keep in mind that Thraccia takes precedent whenever it retcons or changes anything stated in Genealogy. In Genealogy, Finn states everybody in the Alster raid died. Thrccia, however, retcons it that there were indeed survivors.

Before Radiant Dawn's existence, that argument's validity could indeed be the case. Radiant Dawn canonized that everybody lived.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Canonical only up to the beginning of Genealogy's Chapter 7, which only covers up to Chapter 19 of Thraccia. Anything afterwards is fair game. We need to also keep in mind that Thraccia takes precedent whenever it retcons or changes anything stated in Genealogy. In Genealogy, Finn states everybody in the Alster raid died. Thrccia, however, retcons it that there were indeed survivors.

Before Radiant Dawn's existence, that argument's validity could indeed be the case. Radiant Dawn canonized that everybody lived.

The entirety of FE5 takes place before Nanna shows up in FE4, though. I'm confused as to how she could have died anywhere after chapter 19 of T776 and not shown up for chapter 7 of Genealogy. There are events of FE4 that happen concurrently after chapter 20 of FE5(Like the liberation of Alster), but Nanna joins Seliph's army in FE4 after Leif liberates Leonster, post-events of FE5.

A minor retcon like "Everyone died in Alster" to "Almost everyone died in Alster" isn't really applicable as it has very little impact on FE4. Nanna dying prior to joining Seliph's army would be a pretty huge retcon in comparison, and there'd have to be some attention paid to it.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

The entirety of FE5 takes place before Nanna shows up in FE4, though. I'm confused as to how she could have died anywhere after chapter 19 of T776 and not shown up for chapter 7 of Genealogy. There are events of FE4 that happen concurrently after chapter 20 of FE5(Like the liberation of Alster), but Nanna joins Seliph's army in FE4 after Leif liberates Leonster, post-events of FE5.

A minor retcon like "Everyone died in Alster" to "Almost everyone died in Alster" isn't really applicable as it has very little impact on FE4. Nanna dying prior to joining Seliph's army would be a pretty huge retcon in comparison, and there'd have to be some attention paid to it.

That's not correct. The liberation of Leonster is not the end of Thraccia. That's just Chapter 18 of Thraccia's 25 (not counting the gaiden chapters). Nanna shows up in Genealogy at the point the events of Chapter 19 of Thraccia happen. Chapter 20 of Thraccia happens during the time Seliph departs from Rivough until he reaches Alster (Thraccia states six months pass between chapters 19 and 20). The Chapter 7-8 intermission of Thraccia happens here, in the Chapter 20-21 intermission of Thraccia. It's where Diarmudd joins Leif, after all. Chapters 21 to 23 is the journey to Manster, which is when Chapter 8 of Genealogy takes place. Thraccia ends two-thirds into Genealogy's Chapter 8, when Seliph kills Blume and takes Connacth. Sety killing the Loptyr Bishop in Manster in Genealogy is the same event that happens in Thraccia's Chapter 23. This is why I said that Nanna's survival is only canon up to Chapter 19 of Thraccia. Just like in Genealogy after she shows up, her survival beyond Chapter 19 of Thraccia is not a sure thing. Heck, I would even say Nanna showing up in Genealogy wasn't canon before Thraccia. Only until that game came into existence, which canonized Nanna and Diarmudd's existence, Sety's existence as well as being Lewyn's son, and also that Corpul exists.

Not for Genealogy, but the Alster raid bit it's still a retcon.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's not correct. The liberation of Leonster is not the end of Thraccia. That's just Chapter 18 of Thraccia's 25 (not counting the gaiden chapters). Nanna shows up in Genealogy at the point the events of Chapter 19 of Thraccia happen. Chapter 20 of Thraccia happens during the time Seliph departs from Rivough until he reaches Alster (Thraccia states six months pass between chapters 19 and 20). The Chapter 7-8 intermission of Thraccia happens here, in the Chapter 20-21 intermission of Thraccia. It's where Diarmudd joins Leif, after all. Chapters 21 to 23 is the journey to Manster, which is when Chapter 8 of Genealogy takes place. Thraccia ends two-thirds into Genealogy's Chapter 8, when Seliph kills Blume and takes Connacth. Sety killing the Loptyr Bishop in Manster in Genealogy is the same event that happens in Thraccia's Chapter 23. This is why I said that Nanna's survival is only canon up to Chapter 19 of Thraccia. Just like in Genealogy after she shows up, her survival beyond Chapter 19 of Thraccia is not a sure thing. Heck, I would even say Nanna showing up in Genealogy wasn't canon before Thraccia. Only until that game came into existence, which canonized Nanna and Diarmudd's existence, Sety's existence as well as being Lewyn's son, and also that Corpul exists.

Not for Genealogy, but the Alster raid bit it's still a retcon.

I think I should replay FE4 again, because I completely blanked that the conquering of Manster happened "concurrently" in both games.

I've taken Leif's full-fledged allegiance to Seliph at the end of FE5 to be him joining the game proper in FE4, but that doesn't really make too much sense when I think about it.

Regardless, is there a single character in the franchise who doesn't have a plot-scripted death that isn't considered canonically alive? I've always assumed that "Everyone lives" is the default conclusions to these stories, besides the cases where it's stated otherwise(The deaths at Belhalla and stuff like that).

Edited by Slumber

33 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Regardless, is there a single character in the franchise who doesn't have a plot-scripted death that isn't considered canonically alive? I've always assumed that "Everyone lives" is the default conclusions to these stories, besides the cases where it's stated otherwise(The deaths at Belhalla and stuff like that).

I agree in principle that we should assume that everyone survives unless explicitly stated otherwise. But what's your opinion on Pelleas and Sephiran? Not sure if their survival can be assumed to be canonical. 

I suppose it could be an unpopular opinion if I state that I don't necessarily take that assumption?

Actually, I'm going to take it a step further in that I don't assume everyone was necessarily recruited, either. Certainly, that's likely to be a rarer opinion on the matter. Outside certain situations like the Arran/Samson situation in Shadow Dragon, FE itself never outright states when someone didn't join.

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I suppose it could be an unpopular opinion if I state that I don't necessarily take that assumption?

Actually, I'm going to take it a step further in that I don't assume everyone was necessarily recruited, either. Certainly, that's likely to be a rarer opinion on the matter. Outside certain situations like the Arran/Samson situation in Shadow Dragon, FE itself never outright states when someone didn't join.

It's never explicitly stated but the sequel implies Arran was the canon choice by him being the Jagen replacement.

21 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I agree in principle that we should assume that everyone survives unless explicitly stated otherwise. But what's your opinion on Pelleas and Sephiran? Not sure if their survival can be assumed to be canonical. 

That's a tricky one, but I'd say Pelleas lives, Sephiran dies. Pelleas dying, while an interesting plot point, does feel pretty out of character for Micaiah. Sephiran, meanwhile, has no real reason to continue living past the events of RD. For the guy who orchestrated everything that happened, it feels like he gets off with a slap on the wrist.

But it's not a hill I'd die on. I could accept any variation of "Pelleas lives/dies and Sephiran lives/dies".

12 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

It's never explicitly stated but the sequel implies Arran was the canon choice by him being the Jagen replacement.

New Mystery also implies that Marth visited all the Gaiden chapters in SD (except Nagi's, I believe) despite everybody from that game still being alive. I'm never quite sure how to feel about canon in the Akaneia games, tbh.

2 minutes ago, ping said:

New Mystery also implies that Marth visited all the Gaiden chapters in SD (except Nagi's, I believe) despite everybody from that game still being alive. I'm never quite sure how to feel about canon in the Akaneia games, tbh.

I think for that case it's "Killing your units to recruit other units is a dumb, arbitrary gameplay mechanic and doesn't transltate to the story".

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

But what's your opinion on Pelleas and Sephiran? Not sure if their survival can be assumed to be canonical. 

Retcon by FE13- multiverse means all possibilities are real and canon.

To assume the happiest and complete to be canonical, both must live. Not to say this is the best idea, since there are plenty of people out there who criticize Fates Revelation as being a bad idea, despite it being the happiest ending. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Sephiran, meanwhile, has no real reason to continue living past the events of RD. For the guy who orchestrated everything that happened, it feels like he gets off with a slap on the wrist.

Although if you really wanted to punish him, death is not the answer. Yes, for a normal and sane person, death is probably the most severe punishment you can give them. But Sephiran isn't a sane person, it is explicitly stated they are suicidal (and also know they should die). Death is therefore mercy to them, and if punishment is not to be mercy, then one could do better than death for punishing Sephiran. Maximum punishment would have to be some form of prolonged torture with no ceasing, either physical abuse; or gluing their eyes to endless scenes of prejudice, hate, and war- basically everything that has made him longing for death.

Of course, we aren't given a choice to torture, only to kill or let live in penance sans torture. In which case, if one seeks to punish, one has no perfect option: death might seem to some too harsh if you consider Sephiran's obvious potential to be a productive member of society and their mental illness, but no death is too little for their crimes.

Although bringing up mental illness, we'd now have to go before a court and determine whether an insanity defense would work here. I doubt it.