What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

I'm sorry, but "exeedingly charming" is not a descriptor that springs to my mind when I think of Peri :lol: Aren't most characters pretty weirded out when they interact with her, at least until Fates' fundamental force of Must Produce Offspring kicks in? I can't say that I'm an avid reader of her supports, though, so I might be off target here.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, ping said:

I'm sorry, but "exeedingly charming" is not a descriptor that springs to my mind when I think of Peri :lol: Aren't most characters pretty weirded out when they interact with her, at least until Fates' fundamental force of Must Produce Offspring kicks in? I can't say that I'm an avid reader of her supports, though, so I might be off target here.

It' been a while since I've read a good majority of her supports but from what I can remember she knows how to get her way. Crocodile tears, compliments, gifts, etc. All ways she uses to get something out of someone. Which again is a symptom of antisocial personality disorder

16 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Here’s an opinion that I’ve stated before in another thread but have now gained a slightly better understanding of. I believe Peri is a very believable, realistic, and well written character. 

Lol yeah, I dont think you have read all of her supports like I did.

They all basically are 

Other dude=OD
P=Peri

OD:Yo I've heard bout you
P: WHAT TELL ME WHAT!
OD: Uhh.. nvm I think it will be very mean
P: TELL MEEEEE WAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAA

*B support*
OD: Peri they say you kill for fun, is that true?
P: Yes, there's nothing wrong with that is there
OD: (Uhm yes) No
P: YES I am just average girl. I like killing and dismantling people!
OD: Ok... bye

*A support*
P: Hey I can cook
OD: Now I forgive all of your sins
P: Wait I had sins???
OD: Um
P: WAAAAAAAAAA SO MEAN I HATE YOU
OD: (Damn it) You cook well tho
P: Thanks you are my best friend.

*S support*
OD: You know I've only met you for like 1 week and all you've done is be a colossal annoyance but I love you
P: YEEEEEEEEEEEEES I will cook a lot for you. SInce you know, cooking is a part of my personality only to give me a bit of redemption for all my killing.

Her best suupport is with Leo but you get the point, she just kills and thinks it's funny and cries a lot and cooks "well". Her reasons for growing like that don't make sense either. Like yeah her mother died, and what motivation did she have to start killing people cause that aint reason enough, not even at age of 5 or whatever. And then why did her dad never stop her?

Peri was given a personality first and then written and got lame excuses to cover for it. This may sound a bit rude but your opinion does have no basis on anything.

One of my many unppular opinions is that Neimi is actually worth it because she can become a Ranger.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Actually even that makes sense when you realize one simple thing. Peri, as far as I can tell anyway, has anti-social personality disorder. These kinds of people are infamous for being exceedingly charming and manipulative. Hell my psychology professor knew someone who was treating someone with it and even they got pulled in by their patience’s charms. It can happen to anyone and xander is just someone who fell for it.

Those types of personalities really only work on people with less power than themselves(Peri's a minor noble, Xander is the prince of Nohr, doesn't check out) and people who don't know that the person in question has their negative habits and tendencies(Xander is fully aware of what Peri does). Ted Bundy only got away with it for so long because nobody knew what he was doing, and Charlie Manson was the self-made head of the "Manson Family", getting everyone else desperate enough to kill for him.

Nothing about the relationship makes any goddamn sense. Xander wants to help Nohrian people and feels a deep responsibility to do so. Peri sees them as living pin cushions.

Edited by Slumber

39 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Those types of personalities really only work on people with less power than themselves(Peri's a minor noble, Xander is the prince of Nohr, doesn't check out) and people who don't know that the person in question has their negative habits and tendencies(Xander is fully aware of what Peri does). Ted Bundy only got away with it for so long because nobody knew what he was doing, and Charlie Manson was the self-made head of the "Manson Family", getting everyone else desperate enough to kill for him.

Nothing about the relationship makes any goddamn sense. Xander wants to help Nohrian people and feels a deep responsibility to do so. Peri sees them as living pin cushions.

that's fair I suppose not gonna argue with that

40 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Lol yeah, I dont think you have read all of her supports like I did.

They all basically are 

Other dude=OD
P=Peri

OD:Yo I've heard bout you
P: WHAT TELL ME WHAT!
OD: Uhh.. nvm I think it will be very mean
P: TELL MEEEEE WAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAA

*B support*
OD: Peri they say you kill for fun, is that true?
P: Yes, there's nothing wrong with that is there
OD: (Uhm yes) No
P: YES I am just average girl. I like killing and dismantling people!
OD: Ok... bye

*A support*
P: Hey I can cook
OD: Now I forgive all of your sins
P: Wait I had sins???
OD: Um
P: WAAAAAAAAAA SO MEAN I HATE YOU
OD: (Damn it) You cook well tho
P: Thanks you are my best friend.

*S support*
OD: You know I've only met you for like 1 week and all you've done is be a colossal annoyance but I love you
P: YEEEEEEEEEEEEES I will cook a lot for you. SInce you know, cooking is a part of my personality only to give me a bit of redemption for all my killing.

Her best suupport is with Leo but you get the point, she just kills and thinks it's funny and cries a lot and cooks "well". Her reasons for growing like that don't make sense either. Like yeah her mother died, and what motivation did she have to start killing people cause that aint reason enough, not even at age of 5 or whatever. And then why did her dad never stop her?

Peri was given a personality first and then written and got lame excuses to cover for it. This may sound a bit rude but your opinion does have no basis on anything.

One of my many unppular opinions is that Neimi is actually worth it because she can become a Ranger.

yeah that support is bad

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:
6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

that's fair I suppose not gonna argue with that

yeah that support is bad

No matter this though youll still just beleive Peri is a believable character right? And no it's not just *that* support, all of her supports except the one with Niles and Leo are like that.

55 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

No matter this though youll still just beleive Peri is a believable character right? And no it's not just *that* support, all of her supports except the one with Niles and Leo are like that.

yeah? and what exactly is so wrong about that? I know peri isn't the best character out there but I am of the opinion she's a better written character than people say she is anyway. You're acting as If I'm some unreasonable blind awakening fanboy that isn't open to new opinions. Like geez dude calm down. I consider myself a fairly open minded person and am always open to civilized discussion.

Edited by Ottservia

4 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

And then why did her dad never stop her?

Just pretend her father spoiled her rotten. And that Xander never chose her but instead her father pulled some strings with Garon when his daughter dearest complained about wanting to work directly with royalty. And those strings were pretty strong, since Duke Durceal Losots supplied Garon with all those Talon Ballistae and magibeams and Fire Orbs which you don't see. Sadly, he never finished his masterpiece of alchemy in time- the enormous revenant wyvern known as The Great Hooter, which could've fireballed Hoshido without the slightest fear of retaliation.

13 hours ago, zuibangde said:

just finished FE7 and I actually searched up how long reinforcements last in 'Victory or Death' and the longest stretch is from turns 25 to 35 with apparently a grand total of 131 units you had to deal with.

Why would one have to confront all those units though? The map can proceed faster than that, and will if you're on Hector Mode and shooting for The Value of Life.

As for Awakening, I'm pretty darn sure most people just leave it unsaid that game is hordes of enemies throughout. It has the same problem as BR.

8 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

On the other hand a lot of my distaste of birthright comes from the second half of the game where you are bombarded with just crappy levels which is a major contributor to peoples dislike of the game.

Yeah, that handful of midgame battles really does drag down BR, before the lategame spike. Shame the difficulty, if still easier than CQ, was not better distributed with maps a little better designed. It'd make it notably more fun.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

yeah? and what exactly is so wrong about that? I know peri isn't the best character out there but I am of the opinion she's a better written character than people say she is anyway. You're acting as If I'm some unreasonable blind awakening fanboy that isn't open to new opinions. Like geez dude calm down. I consider myself a fairly open minded person and am always open to civilized discussion.

The fact you're wrong is what's wrong. Facts are facts, that's simple. Oh don't play the "I am an awakening victim" thing but even if I did think of you as a unreasonable awakening fanboy I would have reason to support it like that premonition exaggeration analysis eh? But nonetheless I don't consider you a blind awakening fanboy, only as someone whose opinions I see as wrong and viceversa so I go out and engage them and bring my own points. 

Calm down for what too? Like I am already pretty calmed down and was when I sent that, you're making up stuff. And please explain to me what is so uncivilized of "No matter this though youll still just beleive Peri is a believable character right? And no it's not just *that* support, all of her supports except the one with Niles and Leo are like that." If anything I was referencing to the fact that arguments rarely sway people so even if I showed that she was a badly written character you would still hold to your opinion. And I never said there was anything wrong with your opinion or "that" so please stop making up stuff.

Also just because something is repeated a lot (like Peri bad) doesn't make it lose it's validity when it's said more times, it's something I'm personally tired of hearing, Peri is still a terrible, terrible character and if I repeat that more times it won't make her supports better and reasonable to consider "underrated".

15 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Her character makes sense in a vacuum. What does not make sense is that the fucking Camus is bringing her along of all people. If she was a retainer of Camilla or even Leo she could make sense, but how am i supposed to take seriously the allegedly lawful good paladin when he bring along a serial killer?

Peri's placement at Xander's side is indeed the biggest problem. There's no reason for Xander to oppose Iago and Hans so much when he accepts the same behavior from his own retainer. 

Peri would have been a lot better if she had been Garon's retainer and if Xander took her in out of pity rather than because he was thinking with his pants. 

With the new Three Houses trailer I got a new unpopular opinion: I like the highschool setting in TH.

Granted, this is mostly from the fact that we are playing as a teacher instead of a student, and because of all the doodles on Twitter by artists showing hilarious shenanigans between Byleth and the three lords. Concerning whether a highschool setting will lead to highschool cliches, I’m not really worried since there hasn’t been any dialogue or characters that lean in that direction, though it may change later based on the final product. Fates didn’t take place at a highschool, and I’d say the Fates cast is the most anime of all FE casts.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why would one have to confront all those units though? The map can proceed faster than that, and will if you're on Hector Mode and shooting for The Value of Life.

As for Awakening, I'm pretty darn sure most people just leave it unsaid that game is hordes of enemies throughout. It has the same problem as BR.

Multiple reasons why I waited til the end.

1. It was my first time playing through FE7 and it was a secondhand copy so I was playing Eliwood Hard Mode and I had no idea the reinforcements would last that long (I don't look up guides).

2. Was grinding supports. 

3. Was levelling up some units because I expected the final chapters to be hard (but it wasn't). 

On 2019-02-12 at 10:09 PM, DarthR0xas said:

I'm not a particular fan of the term myself. It's too much of a blanket term, and sometimes can be used in places where more detail would really add to a discussion. That and whenever I see the word I hear one of those Anti-SJW Youtuber say the word in a sneering voice and it's so annoying.

I'm one of those SJWs those Youtubers warned you about. :)

The term isn't very nice, but it's needed sometimes. Some works really do have (consistently) problematic views on women, and I think it's important to call that out when we see it. It doesn't you automatically must dislike the work in question (though when the work in question is Echoes' story I personally don't see much to like in the first place, but that's an aside!), but we can still address and discuss the problems.

I brought it up in the Direct thread as a concern about the franchise, but I'll say it here since it's probably a bit more appropriate:

I think the micromanaging aspect of the games has gotten out of hand and aren't executed well at all. It all amounts to busy work, and the end product is a less interesting game due to how the balance of FE games is.

I don't mean to rag on 3H, I'll wait until the game is released before I form any opinions on the game, but there is one, just one, little, itty bitty thing I want to get out of my system.

NO MORE GREEN HAIRED MANAKETES! 

Tiki and Nagi/a were fine, Nowi and canon Nah were okay, but Mila and Duma pressed against a line for me which 3H has now broken. Any color but green! Not all Archanean Divine Dragon Manaketes even had green:

chainy

-but clearly this guy is being forgotten.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

@Dark Holy Elf You are free to think that way about echoes story but I was thinking about what would make you feel those negative feelings towards it and I have some answers that may instill some hope in it for you, or maybe not who knows?

I will agree that women are on the weaker side in the game, but it was the same in Gaiden for the most part and echoes did a few things to not only stay true to the original but to make said characters more than damsels in distress.

Spoiler

Mathilda was massively upgraded from gaiden and there are many feats she achieved that I could list off for you. When only talking about story wise it can be hard to say which one actually the tougher one because Clive and Mathilda are both praising each other to no end, but a villager tells us that Mathilda is every inch as strong as Clive which is all we really have to go off of. Also it may seem weird that she submits herself to absolutely anything that Clive says but Clive does the same thing, this praising  goes both ways and I find that it really self aware which is why their supports make me smile even though it obviously was supposed to be cringy. In fact in their supports there is a time when Mathilda is ashamed that she is showing up Clive on the battlefield (not that hard btw) because she feels it will shame him because of the pressures of the world wanting women to be secondary supporting figure to which Clive disagrees with saying something along the lines of "such an old fashioned idea" or something like that, to which that idea they are getting out of can be attributed to the time period they have established. I for one find this relationship to be refreshing, it's nice to see to people madly in love already rather than a crew full of people who are single and ready to mingle.

Also as a side note I found the scene with Mathilda in the prison with Fernand to be made with the intent if dis empowering her but rather to sneak some fan service in, to which I have my own problems about.

Spoiler

Claire has become a major character and gets a ton of lines throughout the game and even speaks more than Gray and Tobin in the last half of the game, and while she is obsessed with Clive I find her to be a hilarious character and she has no problem tearing into Gray for his view and treatment of her, in fact in their supports you can tell Gray had to really get better to win Claire over in the end and get out of the childish mindset he had on woman that Claire called him out on.

Spoiler

Rinea was poorly handled and it saddens me that they never really gave said character and of her own moments, but her relationship with Berkut I find to be one Berkut's flaws and one of the things that makes him a human character. The problem with media now a days from my standpoint is that people are too afraid to make characters with controversial views out of fear of public backlash and the product of this are weaker characters as far as I'm concerned. As long as the controversial view was shown to be a flaw and something to be overcome I wouldn't even mind having a protagonist that was Racist, as it could bring more interesting events to the story for said character to overcome.

Ive done research on this and watched some videos and this is the example that one of them made.... Take 2 characters, one of them is Superman who always does good and helps people in any way he can because he was raised to be a good lad. And now take someone who has the exact same powers as superman but had a experience when he was younger that made him despise people of a certain skin color. Now take both characters and have them see a burning building with someone of said skin color trapped inside.

Which is more interesting, Superman saving the person? or the latter saving that person despite their hatred towards the said race?

While Berkut doesn't hit this mark anywhere close it shows his treatment of Rinea as a flaw of his from what I see, as if Berkut listened and cared at all enough for what she was saying his entire conflict would of been avoided, but his ignorance and pride continued to get in the way until he lost everything. You may find it weird that he is redeemed at his end but for me it still doesn't change the fact that he lost everything to do it and his personal views kept him from making the right choices.

Berkut is a mixed bag for the fan base, but the reasons above is why many find him to be a human character, including myself to an extent. But it still doesn't change the fact that Rinea wasn't really a character but rather a tool to humanize Berkut, but I don't think her existence had any purpose to dis empower woman at all.

These are only a few examples and there are many more but the theme of these events, to me at least, seems to be that the world order has these views that you mentioned but it seems like to me that the characters are fighting against it and shows the consequences of these old age and outdated views that the game is getting accused of. I think game needs a lot of work in the story department but because of the state of the world and the positions they were in, the females, to me at least, are even stronger because of it.

8 hours ago, Lief said:

With the new Three Houses trailer I got a new unpopular opinion: I like the highschool setting in TH

I agree with you, however for a completely different reason...

I didn't feel like it was even a high school to begin with. It was much more magic and Hogwarts like and feels like it.

Usually, i pretty much dispise the school setting, but this one is making me excited for how fresh & new it looks for FE.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

I brought it up in the Direct thread as a concern about the franchise, but I'll say it here since it's probably a bit more appropriate:

I think the micromanaging aspect of the games has gotten out of hand and aren't executed well at all. It all amounts to busy work, and the end product is a less interesting game due to how the balance of FE games is.

Are you talking about customization? Because that's one thing i pretty much prefer in the newer games, and as We saw in Conquest, it doesn't make the game any less interesting.

It all comes down to map design.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Are you talking about customization? Because that's one thing i pretty much prefer in the newer games, and as We saw in Conquest, it doesn't make the game any less interesting.

It all comes down to map design.

To some degree it's customization, but I don't think units should be entirely inflexible or anything, as much as I prefer units to have a set role or style that you have to work around. What I really dislike is the constant busy-work that goes into building units, and how the game keeps shoving these mechanics in your face.

FE11 gave us reclassing, which changed up your units' stats and growth rates. By and large you really didn't have to do this, and leveling was limited, so the benefits of doing so were pretty small outside of a few fringe cases. And on top of this, you could only have a finite number of each class. Ultimately, you weren't encouraged to be constantly reclassing and building units by this method, because it wouldn't be super effective for more than a few units at a time. Though the endgame results didn't really deter you from just making as many high level Dracoknights as you were allowed and just rushing, which hurts the endgame of FE11 and 12 in my mind.

FE13 started snowballing things out of control, and it's where I find that the mechanics became incredibly intrusive to the core gameplay. Beyond reclassing, skills were now tied to classes. And instead of skills being permanently tied to classes or units like in FE4/5, or a finite resource that were mostly on a unit-by-unit basis like FE9/10, Awakening allowed you to take skills from classes and bring them to other classes. And reclassing only changed your stats based on the bases of the classes you change between. The game now incentivizes and rewards you for constantly changing the classes of your units and getting new skills for them. To add on to this, the way certain skills worked(Like Armsthrift), things like forging now became much more important than it was in previous games. Now you're going around scrounging for weapons to forge for each character, which is just a huge random chance deal, and switching everyone to the best classes available with the best skills available. In the base game you can mostly avoid this(Though it doesn't stop the game from shoving second seals in your face constantly), but it's pretty much a necessity for the DLC, and changes the whole feel of the game when you prepare for this by making as many Armsthrift Sorcerors/Dark Fliers with forged Aversa's Night as possible, or any other combo of insanely busted classes, weapons and skills. And there's not much of an alternative to doing this, which is where it starts hurting the game in my mind. You ignore these mechanics only at a detriment to yourself.

Fates stripped back the insane character building by limiting levels, reclassing potential and increasing the difficulty of grinding, but it, instead, adds MyCastle. What used to be a pretty straightforward SRPG series with a structured and deliberately paced campaign is now mostly an RPG with some strategy elements where you're shoved into an insanely grindy village/farm building sim every 30 minutes, with some weirdo mechanics like a lottery sprinkled. You gotta build your MyCastle to maximize your material yields, and you have to build around certain facilities in the MyCastle, but you can only get some materials and facilities in a given playthrough, so you have to tediously visit other MyCastles if you want to get resources you don't have, buy weapons you can't get at your own Castle, or get skills you've locked your own characters out of. And the game keeps encouraging this by making you build up points that you can get through online interactions which then unlock rewards in your own game, some of which are only obtainable through this method, and can require thousands and thousands of points which you build up at a pitiful rate. And then, if you decide you want to play one of the other routes, you have to do this all over again.

Which, again, wouldn't be too big of an issue if the game gave you incentives to not do this. But it makes MyCastle a core mechanic, and constantly makes you go back. It's even harder to ignore than reclassing in Awakening. I don't think MyCastle would have gotten hacked to hell and back if it wasn't so essential for certain aspects of the game. If it was more ignorable, or if it was more fun, I don't think hacking would have been so prevalent, and hacked Castles wouldn't be so popular for visitors.

And Three Houses seems to be diving headfirst into micromanaging and busywork again, possibly even more than what Fates did.

Edited by Slumber

16 hours ago, Slumber said:

To some degree it's customization, but I don't think units should be entirely inflexible or anything, as much as I prefer units to have a set role or style that you have to work around. What I really dislike is the constant busy-work that goes into building units, and how the game keeps shoving these mechanics in your face.

Despite only quoting the first bit, this is something I agree with whole-heartedly. I should be able to play the game through REGARDLESS of whether I reclass units or not. It's one thing if it's for a unit like Donnel or Mozu who starts as a villager, but when "optimal skillset" becomes necessary for DLC, it becomes far too grindy for me to bother with. Actually a reason I like the "Rise of the Deliverance" DLC (not the only example, but a good one never-the-less). You don't have to grind at all to beat it. Everyone has set levels and stats in it and that means you're working more on strategy based on what you're given than building an army to counter the enemies. I feel it should be possible to beat a Fire Emblem in entirety without reclassing. I do feel reclassing should exist for people who want to play optimally. So basically what I'd like is a compromise.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:17 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tiki and Nagi/a were fine, Nowi and canon Nah were okay, but Mila and Duma pressed against a line for me which 3H has now broken. Any color but green! Not all Archanean Divine Dragon Manaketes even had green:

chainy

Doesn't his status has a shapershifter leave some room for doubt that red is a normal color for divine dragons?

Personally, I'm okay with them making green the hair color of the tribe. What I'd ask for instead is other dragon tribes to show up. Green shouldn't be the color of new dragons unaffiliated with Divine dragons (which may be the case for Three Houses). We really don't need another Tiki expy.

I've thought of a few more to add:

• The desert maps in Echoes are actually the pretty fun. The land is close enough to the forts that they don't take too long to get to, and you have to plan around how to enter the buildings and take out the ranged units, as well as who to heal with physic.
    • Swamp maps still suck, though. Mostly because, unlike desert maps, there are few ways to speed through it.
  • As a unit, Deen is reliable if uninteresting, but as a boss, he's one of the most engaging opponents to fight in the game.
  • The dungeons in Echoes are great for exploration, world building, and gaining new equipment, but TERRIBLE for the purposes of grinding.
  • Reclassing is a great addition for ironmanning.
  • People focus too much on Celicas actions in Acts 4 and 5, and forget what she accomplished in Acts 2 and 3.
  • A heavily modified version Shadow Dragons Gaiden chapters would be neat to see return. Less "kill off your units to unlock a side mission" and more "you lost a fair amount of your army, here's a chance to get some more characters, experience, and items so that the game doesn't become impossible to beat".
  • A Fire Emblem parody game needs to become a thing at some point.

34 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

A Fire Emblem parody game needs to become a thing at some point.

Can we get like a carnival phantasm anime but for fire emblem? I would legit pay so much money to make that happen 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't mean to rag on 3H, I'll wait until the game is released before I form any opinions on the game, but there is one, just one, little, itty bitty thing I want to get out of my system.

chainy

Same, I am so tired of Tiki clones!

More Xane clones, we only have one pseudo Xane clone in TearRing saga.