Are there any fans of Peri here in Serenes forest?

BlackSymphony

So over a few forums and places to talk about FE, Peri seems to be on some receiving end of hate, which does irk me due to how hate can be used. I can most certainly understand some disdain for her, but outright hate does not seem reasonable.

What I wish to know is, is there any people who seem to like her? I mean, I like her character, but I can see why some don't... but outright hate is another thing entirely.

I'm not a big fan of Peri, but she's not my LEAST favorite unit. There are units much worse than her for me, but there are units much better than her too, so she kind of falls in the middle. I can get through her "stabby-stabby" thing, but the thing that steers me away from Peri is that she's a Cavalier. As in my previous post on one of your forums, I'm not a big fan of cavaliers. When I played Conquest, I used Peri as soon as I got her, but then dropped her a few chapters later because she wasn't really doing anything for me, and part of that I think is that she got stuck in Conquest, which wasn't her fault. Her stats were decent and balanced, but at the same time, she didn't excel in anything either, which was a problem for me. Compared to Silas and Xander, she kind of falls short. I think that if they made her a Mercenary or Dark Mage (with rebalanced stats, of course), and gave her a better storyline, then she would be a much better unit and wouldn't get as much hate. But you can't avoid the haters. There are characters that everyone looks highly of, like Ike and Hector, and there are units that are the target of attention and are constantly bullied by everyone (Camilla, Faye, Lucina, and Corrin to name a few).

I like her a little bit. Gameplaywise she is pretty good. Storywise, she has psychotic mental health problems, which is fine. That's just how they made her.

Title should say "Are" not "Is"

Edited by Hawk King

• BlackSymphony changed the title to Are there any fans of Peri here in Serenes forest?

Watch as most just say "not a big fan, but..."

There aren't many fans of her here... but I know one of the mods actually likes her quite a bit.

I myself...  Well, I used to really not like her (I almost seldom use "hate" as a word to describe things), but then it just sort of became a bit of indifference.  I feel like they could've done her character better, partially by limiting her support options so that she isn't bonding with people she really has no chemistry with (something almost everyone in the cast could benefit from), but she's better written than some Fates characters.  At least she has a bit of a character arc which is well explored in her supports with Laslow.

I'm indifferent towards Peri.  Her psychology and story really interests me, but I never really used her as a unit.  The only thing that really bothers me is that she can ruin the characterization of other characters due to their supports.  But she has some good ones too.

I do often see Peri as the FE version of Harley Quinn, especially with the multi-colored hair, which is probably the reason why I don't outright dislike or hate her.  I don't know why, it just is.

My problem (and it seems a lot of people's problem) with Peri is that the script seems to play her biggest flaw, her one-woman genocide against servants, for laughs. If we assume that I am actually role-playing as Corrin (a stretch, I know, but hear me out), and either I witness or are informed by witnesses that one of my brother's retainers has been trying to physically harm or murder my retainers/servants, who I see as pretty much a second family, I would immediately move to have Peri either sectioned, removed from the army, have an "accident" arranged for her, or at least get her moved as far away as possible from any of my people. And yet, that doesn't happen in the game. Rather, it seems that the opposite happens. Characters seem to repeatedly shrug off her murderous tendencies, seeing them as a boon to the army, rather than a ticking time bomb that could go offat any moment. And while there are a few supports where she does slowly learn to try and develop as a character, a lot of them just seem to ignore or worse, enable the worst aspect of her character. The S-support with Corrin is particularly vile, where Corrin promises to ensure that there will be "tough servants" who won't fall in one blow. Yeah, I am sure that Felicia, Flora and Jakob appreciate being locked into a house/castle/astral-acid-trip with a woman who would kill them for looking at her funny.   

I have nothing against a character being murder-happy, but for me at least, I want to see two things; I want to know why they are such a blood knight, and I want to see some development either away from the trope or a further descent into madness. Henry gets away with it because of his shit childhood and we get to see how deep down, he is a caring man who hides behind his blood knight mask. Peri only gets that development in a few supports, and even then the only one that stands out to me is her support with Laslow. If Fates were more serious about not playing it's character's issues for laughs, I would be a lot less harsh to Peri. She has plenty of positive traits certainly, such as her steadfast loyalty to those she does consider to be a friend, like Xander and Laslow. Plus her skill in the kitchen means that you better hope that the RNG gods will bless you before a difficult chapter and place her in the mess hall so you can buff all your troops to heaven and back. Alas, we have what we got, and what we got is a distinctly average (in a game that demands specialization) caviler with a excellent personal skill, oddly-colored hair, heterochromia and the personality of a murderous child. The sad thing is that I wanted to like her. If they had just taken her character a bit more seriously and actually had her develop in more supports other than the one with Laslow, I would have really enjoyed using and learning about Peri. 

As a final aside, if nothing else, Peri offers a rare bit of world building into the world of Fates. Keep in mind that this is very much my opinion and is subject to how I interpreted Peri's supports and scripts. In my view, she gives us a window into how the nobility of Nohr view those beneath them in social status, as well as their willingness to rely on... less than honorable means to dispose of problem members of the family. We see that her father has the influence and wealth to cover up his daughter's repeated acts of murder against his household servants without causing a serf riot, as well as him possibly "washing his hands" of Peri by placing her in the tournament to determine who will be Xander's new retainers. Whether she wins and becomes a retainer, or is left on the ground and bleeding out in the arena, either one is a win for her father, who can now try to run his household without his mad daughter mauling every servant in sight and having to worry about a revolt cause by his daughter's actions. This interpretation of Nohrian society may really be reading in between the lines, but given the utter lack of world-building in Fates beyond Nohr=Vaguely Medieval Europe and Hoshido=Vaguely Edo-Period Japan, anything is welcome.

If you are a fan of Peri, then by all means, keep being a fan of her. Don't let some idiot on the internet (i.e me) tell you what or who to like. That was just my view on why I personally don't like her, and why I consider her to be yet another prime example of Fates's wasted potential. I don't abjectly hate her, but I can't call myself a fan of the cotton-candy haired not!harley quinn. 

She definitely has her fans here, but more people dislike her than not.

Like Warchief said, her biggest flaw is that the game doesn't take her murderous habbits seriously. This is a game where characters denounce vile butchers like Hans but view Peri's violence as just a quirk.

• 2 weeks later...

I like her at start but after I feel like her be writed by more than 3 different writers without any sort of coordination. There are parts that are interesting and make sense, parts self-contradicted and parts that are pure no sense. Common fates' problem.

Ignoring all this stuff, I still like her. Just less.

Just like almost every other Fates character she suffers from learning something from a support, but then keeping her same character with the same issues. Peri would have been better by having a Laslow support, then becoming more merciful as a character after the support.

Not a fan of her cotton candy hair. Looks too modern for a "medieval" setting in Fire Emblem standards. I usually have a pet peeve when teenage or adult women speak like little girls so that's another reason I'm not crazy about Peri. I'm indifferent to her and just never use her.