How is "Falchion" pronounced?

Skynstein

Basically, this.

When I got Awakening I pronounced it "Fall-key-on", but Rey in his LP of the game pronounced it as "Fall-shee-on". In Japanese it's "Farushion", but things get adapted, so...

"Fall-shee-on" feel so weird to me, but I actually believe it's the right one. I thought it had to do with birds (an adaptation of "falcon", of course), but it's probably wrong as it's linked to dragons instead.

According to Google, it's pronounced "fal-chin".

And a falchion is actually just a type of sword, from European origin if I can remember my random trivia correctly.  Fire Emblem, among other games, glorified it to be a special weapon.  Probably because the way the word looks is pretty cool. xP

Edited by MediocreLee

1 minute ago, MediocreLee said:

According to Google, it's pronounced "fal-chin".

And a falchion is actually just a type of sword, from European origin if I can remember my random trivia correctly.  Fire Emblem, among other games, glorified it to be a special weapon.  Probably because the way the word looks is pretty cool. xP

The funny thing is that Falchion doesn't even look like a falchion.

...Yeah, Dictionary.com says what the two posts above do. Which is strange, because I could swear that I heard "FALL-key-in" somewhere in the FE series. But I guess that was incorrect either way. :/

In French Falchion is either pronounced "Fal-chion" or "Fal-kyon". It depends of where you are.

Fal-chion, the "ch" is basically the same as a "sh" sound. The end "ion" is the same sound you can find in "attention" be careful though it's the french "attention" not the english version.

Fal-kyon, it's the same as before but we replace the "sh" sound with a "k" (or q) wich gives "kion" (or "qion").

That's a little bit confusing.

I pronounce it fal-KEE-on (fal as in pal) but given everything in Archanea I've pronounced wrong so far I wouldn't be surprised if that was incorrect.

While we're on the subject of Archanea-related pronunciations, I'm rather pleased to see the official pronunciation of "Archanea" itself follow that of its old fan name "Akaneia" by being pronounced {R-kuh-NAY`-uh} rather than something like {R-KAY`-nee-uh}. I've pronounced it like the former ever since the OVA, the only real difference is that the first syllable is now "Ar" instead of "Ack".