Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

What's the deal with the majority of them being about critical hits? Not that I'm complaining.

Critting is better than not critting.

MHXA and Raikou didn’t need these strengthens. Now they’re even better than before.

Wu Zetian’s best use is as a support, so this interlude doesn’t affect her too much.

Arthur and Osaka still suck.

Edited by MrSmokestack

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Critting is better than not critting.

MHXA and Raikou didn’t need these strengthens. Now they’re even better than before.

Wu Zetian’s best use is as a support, so this interlude doesn’t affect her too much.

Arthur and Osaka still suck.

Arthur is so close to be good in my opinion, mostly because the one thing he miss atm is Interlude and thats what would finally push him into a rather complete servant. Granted yeah his set up and load out isn't all that great

@The Geek@redlight a good chunk of why i predicted him to be Indra is exactly because he looks like Arjuna. That said part of it is because i find his banner looks rather simmilar to Vahsavi Shakti. Myth wise, Indra is often compared to Zeus who is confirmed as one of the Monarch so its a bit more likely ish

10 minutes ago, redlight said:

How would you improve Osaka?

Honestly the only way to really guarantee a huge "improvement" on Osaka succesfully is to make her battery teamwide.

Osaka's problem isn't so much that "shes a quick support that sucked" like people think, Her NP is essentially a form of "Lord Camelot" even if you remove the quick buff, her lack of turbo ability to crank her NP, along with underwhelming button held this back significantly, Castle Ghost is an OK mana burst esque skill that shouldnt really be a mana burst(consider that a 30% atk buff have much more going for them and can last 3 turns on Waver)

In other words, she have the EXACT same problem as Tamamo- really bad skills for what being a supportive party member demands you to have. Unlike Tamamo, her NP is just good, instead of wtf broken and Tamamo have always been an almost garbage servant who get carried by 2 broken mechanics

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

40 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Arthur is so close to be good in my opinion, mostly because the one thing he miss atm is Interlude and thats what would finally push him into a rather complete servant. Granted yeah his set up and load out isn't all that great

An interlude NP is what Arthur needs most, and JP refuses to give it to him.

12 minutes ago, redlight said:

How would you improve Osaka?

Give her team NP charge. All of the top SSR support Casters have passive NP charges in common. Skadi only targets one servant, but her battery is more than double Osaka’s.

Osaka in general is just greatly undertuned for being a support.

5 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

An interlude NP is what Arthur needs most, and JP refuses to give it to him.

Give her team NP charge. All of the top SSR support Casters have passive NP charges in common. Skadi only targets one servant, but her battery is more than double Osaka’s.

Osaka in general is just greatly undertuned for being a support.

>All

>ALL

Lets not talk about the trash that is Tamamo's skillset GudFace

4 minutes ago, redlight said:

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner Didn't Tamamo's curse skill get a team NP buff for 3 turns?

Yeah, im talking about how hilarious it is that Tamamo basically got carried by Arts cards being so broken(making Fox Wedding much more obnoxiously powerful than normal 3 turn card buffer) and her wtf insanity of an NP. When compared to each other, Osa and Tama's skillset is actually very simmilar, and generally speaking the issues you found on Tamamo is also found on Osa - the later actually have better skillset on the original form, excluding fox wedding - she just ddint have the WTF factor to carry her the same way it did for Tamamo

3 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

>All

>ALL

I mean, Eightfold Blessings does count, awkward as it is to use.

1 minute ago, redlight said:

Didn't Tamamo's curse skill get a team NP buff for 3 turns?

All Tamamo’s buff did was give her niche use as Poster Girl fodder. Her buff value is one of the best among Arts supports (if not the best if I’m not mistaken). Her kit in practice is barely adequate for hard content though.

If you need NP charge, Merlin outclasses Tamamo in that role. Has been for two years now.

5 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I mean, Eightfold Blessings does count, awkward as it is to use.

All Tamamo’s buff did was give her niche use as Poster Girl fodder. Her buff value is one of the best among Arts supports (if not the best if I’m not mistaken). Her kit in practice is barely adequate for hard content though.

If you need NP charge, Merlin outclasses Tamamo in that role. Has been for two years now.

in fairness Tamamo's buff does give Arts some form of damage bump making them able to stand up a bit better. I think Arts could keep up had we have a servant who is basically Fionn with better numbers lol

Its also a bit weird to say it like that since Super Kama is often done with 2 Tamas

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Critting is better than not critting

Aside from Raikou all of them fall into the category of "not critting" though so it's still a very questionable Strengthening round.
Scratch that, this round is just bad.

DW still trying to salvage Osakabehime. Cute.

Arthur's ... ok, I suppose? 30 Stars every 5 turns is pretty good but the Crit buff doesn't do much for him with him lacking a way to improve his star weight. At the very least his NPBB is going to hit hard but he is more in need of a NP Interlude. As it is Altera is just better at being the AoE Crit Saber (whatever that niche is worth) at the virtue of having Merlin around.

MHX Alter's puzzling, to say the least. A small Crit buff distributed to all of her card types is not good. This is one of the most wasteful buffs, DW has ever given out.

Wu's Strengthening is interesting in a sense that she already provides a solid damage buff for her team, now she can remove buffs on top of that. I would say she is the winner- oh wait there's one more.

Raikou's stupid. She is that one Berserker who doesn't need to get better. Why was this necessary again?

3 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Yeah, it's not like she doubles NP damage with her skills, right? Oh wait, she does.
The only thing that really sucks about her is Morph. At the very least you can just give her a Taunt CE and let her soak up damage.

8 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

Aside from Raikou all of them fall into the category of "not critting" though so it's still a very questionable Strengthening round.

Arthur's ... ok, I suppose? 30 Stars every 5 turns is pretty good but the Crit buff doesn't do much for him with him lacking a way to improve his star weight. At the very least his NPBB is going to hit hard but he is more in need of a NP Interlude. As it is Altera is just better at being the AoE Crit Saber (whatever that niche is worth) at the virtue of having Merlin around.

MHX Alter's puzzling, to say the least. A small Crit buff distributed to all of her card types is not good. This is one of the most wasteful buffs, DW has ever given out.

Wu's Strengthening is interesting in a sense that she already provides a solid damage buff for her team, now she can remove buffs on top of that. I would say she is the winner- oh wait there's one more.

Raikou's stupid. She is that one Berserker who doesn't need to get better. Why was this necessary again?

Yeah, it's not like she doubles NP damage with her skills, right? Oh wait, she does.
The only thing that really sucks about her is Morph. At the very least you can just give her a Taunt CE and let her soak up damage.

In her original release she really is pretty meh. Drain is one of the weakest skill type in the game, and Shapeshift is something people would meme as something good. And the standard for support in this game is "it have to be basically DPS but hilariously broken" - Ozymandias vs Waver is a good example here, where the former is hilariously worse than the later if you do a simple side by side analysis - except thats the point you kinda can't use Waver as DPS so you still use Ozy

For what it worth im actually "ok" with current Tamamo. She boost NP by 95% in a pool where 80% is the norm with a much weaker skillset, but its not as embarassingly meh as it used to be

As for your comments on Arthur..... 30 Stars is actually enough to basically say "fuck you im critting" for a turn. Current Arthur is actually a better version of Lalter, who is a decent enough servant in her own rights. He really only miss Interlude now

20 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Its also a bit weird to say it like that since Super Kama is often done with 2 Tamas

Fighting Kama at full gauge has some gimmicks that make using Merlin more difficult. It has less to do with Tamamo herself.

Kama summons adds that don’t attack except when they use their NP. They can also cast NP seal which completely disrupts GoA flow. And the boss herself charges NP quickly. Illusion cycling in a double Merlin comp can’t keep up.

Ideally, the DPS should be AOE and inflict NP Seal. Paired with some charge drains Kama will never have a chance to NP more than once in the fight. Finally, a fight Edison is useful for

15 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

I agree that this batch of strengthens was bad overall. At least it’s like Mighty No. 9–better than nothing!

Her strengthen is a meme. Literally. From what I’ve heard it’s a reference to the Infinity Gauntlet.

It’s a strong buff in a vacuum, but I would have preferred NP charge instead. Raikou’s damage was never lacking.

6 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Her kit in practice is barely adequate for hard content though.

I mean one could say Tamamo still covers most of the important bases and can be used in all kinds of CQ while Skadi fails at anything that requires endurance. So Skadi <<< Tamamo, right?

tbh the more I hear these kind of discussions or arguments about those 4 I grow more apathetic to them.

6 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

As for your comments on Arthur..... 30 Stars is actually enough to basically say "fuck you im critting" for a turn. Current Arthur is actually a better version of Lalter, who is a decent enough servant in her own rights. He really only miss Interlude now

As I said, Altera did this before and she didn't go anywhere. Arthur only has his battery over her and that's not that much of a difference.

I agree that this batch of strengthens was bad overall. At least it’s like Mighty No. 9–better than nothing!

Die in a fire.

Her strengthen is a meme. Literally. From what I’ve heard it’s a reference to the Infinity Gauntlet.

... why must MHXA reference the Avengers again? I thought she was based of another franchise.

It’s a strong buff in a vacuum, but I would have preferred NP charge instead. Raikou’s damage was never lacking.

Hold it, Satan. Stop breaking the game when we don't have to.
As long as we don't ram the buff cap (which never happens unless you deliberately try to reach it) more damage isn't exactly bad. If anything it is another source of Crit Dmg she would lack without Merlin or Zhuge Liang around.
Though I don't see the reason why she is the one who gets an upgrade, especially through an Interlude. There are so many other Servants that need heavy touch-ups

I mean one could say Tamamo still covers most of the important bases and can be used in all kinds of CQ while Skadi fails at anything that requires endurance. So Skadi <<< Tamamo, right?

tbh the more I hear these kind of discussions or arguments about those 4 I grow more apathetic to them.

I mean, there are situations that Tamamo is good for. She becomes a lot more useful in general once she gets her Curse buff too.

My issue with Tamamo is that she's very one-note. She doesn't help your team crit, nor does she gain NP very fast. She was my first SSR in NA. Having used her, getting to that first NP feels like an eternity. Especially when the boss is someone like Ibaraki who can delete someone in as few as 2-3 hits. It only gets worse from here on out.

You'll most likely be using her in stall teams, but Jeanne and Merlin have her beat there. Blitzing is a superior strategy compared to stalling--or even just playing slow--the vast majority of the time. That makes Tamamo even less relevant for JP content. ...As a frontliner, anyway. She's still very good with Poster Girl.

Hold it, Satan. Stop breaking the game when we don't have to.
As long as we don't ram the buff cap (which never happens unless you deliberately try to reach it) more damage isn't exactly bad. If anything it is another source of Crit Dmg she would lack without Merlin or Zhuge Liang around.
Though I don't see the reason why she is the one who gets an upgrade, especially through an Interlude. There are so many other Servants that need heavy touch-ups

Extra damage is definitely useful for stuff like raids. When it comes to the average AOE CQ with 1-2 breakbars though, the extra damage may not be needed. And pre-buff it was not.

Raikou would have benefitted more from an NP battery or something that improves her durability. In JP there isn't much reason to use her over Gil for challenge content. Her NP gain isn't as good, and thanks to 'Zerker class she can get offed very easily.

Edited by MrSmokestack

13 hours ago, redlight said:

New batch of interludes. @Jingle Jangle @Water Mage @Alexmender @Jedi Looks like you guys need to wait 2 years. Raikio, Arthur and MHXA skill interludes

Raikou: Looks like her crit gather has +crit strength up 3 times, 3 turns.

Osakabehime: Def buff has +All Party crit strength up 3 turns.

Arthur: Instinct now gives more stars and +crit strength 3 turns.

MHXA: Heal skill has +Quick card crit strength up 1 time 3 turns, +Arts card crit strength up 1 time 3 turns, +Buster card crit strength up 1 time 3 turns, +additional heal per turn for 3 turns added.

Wu Zetian: NP stronger, dispels buffs on enemy.

MHXA's skill seems a little iffy outside of the extra heal, like yeah crits are cool but they only work once each and with her you want to either BNPB pre-Skadi or NPQQ post-Skadi meaning only one of her cards is going to get the bonus (and from what I saw it is ~30% which is meh). Not that it matters that much, if I manage to gather the luck for double Skadi+Summer BB memes MHXA will be more than set for life.

50 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

... why must MHXA reference the Avengers again? I thought she was based of another franchise.

Her first skill has always been an Infinity Gauntlet reference, its name is Infinity Bean Paste (or Infinity Chocolate during Valentines, or Infinity Chestnut Paste after her strengthening now), and her profile states that it is made of 6 fundamental forces, she just doesn't know how to properly use it.  This just memes it further.

MHX is mostly a Star Wars reference, but they threw an SAO reference in there for her NP (likely because BUNBUN is the artist).  MHXA is Star Wars + Avengers.  MHXX is mostly SRW I think apparently a bunch of tokusatsu references, though her first form seems to reference Angel Notes, I guess?

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

She doesn't help your team crit, nor does she gain NP very fast.

On the other hand none of the others can provide skill upkeep at the levels of her. Which can include Crit buffs and batteries from other sources.
With the exception of Merlin they also lack her capability of providing consistent sustain. Skadi and Zhuge Liang have defense buffs but that's hardly a replacement and precisely the reason why these two ultimately fail at certain type of quests (at least Skadi, Zhuge Liang usually leeches off from another Support).

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

You'll most likely be using her in stall teams, but Jeanne and Merlin have her beat there. Blitzing is a superior strategy compared to stalling--or even just playing slow--the vast majority of the time. That makes Tamamo even less relevant for JP content. ...As a frontliner, anyway. She's still very good with Poster Girl. 

And this kind of thinking made stop caring because in the grand scheme of things no strategy is better or worse than the other. The FGO "meta" doesn't exist in the first place and there is no need to establish one.

"Blitzing" might be better for most quests but then outright fails in others. How can this be the "superior" strategy? It fails to cover a portion of the game.
On the other hand "slow-play" will always work. It takes time (Jeanne teams especially *cough*) but you will complete the quest in a reliable manner. Pre-Skadi (or even Pre-Merlin) era is the perfect proof that it works and even now Arts team are seeing widespread use, even in JP (which means less relevant doesn't apply in the first place). Considering there is demand for them dismissing them is incredibly foolish.

This obviously doesn't excuse actual bad Servants. e.g.  Osakabehime, Yu and Miyu are still very much bad for gameplay purposes and there exists a relative scale of whether something is better or worse (nobody is stupid enough to put Hans over Merlin). It's the reason why I created my F2P list in the first place.
But in case of these Casters; e.g. Tamamo in particular may lack the sheer broken skill sets of Merlin or Skadi but on the other hand she is very much carried by what kind of Servants you pair her up with and she ultimately makes up an important for 2 of 3 commonly used Arts teams. By that point we're comparing card teams and in my eyes it's so unnecessary to discuss this.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Her first skill has always been an Infinity Gauntlet reference, its name is Infinity Bean Paste (or Infinity Chocolate during Valentines, or Infinity Chestnut Paste after her strengthening now), and her profile states that it is made of 6 fundamental forces, she just doesn't know how to properly use it.  This just memes it further.

MHX is mostly a Star Wars reference, but they threw an SAO reference in there for her NP (likely because BUNBUN is the artist).  MHXA is Star Wars + Avengers.  MHXX is mostly SRW I think. 

My head hurt after typing this wall above.
Now I got a seizure trying to comprehend the individual who mashed all these sci-fi franchises together.
Just ... why?

Edited by Magus of Memery

11 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

On the other hand none of the others can provide skill upkeep at the levels of her. Which can include Crit buffs and batteries from other sources.
With the exception of Merlin they also lack her capability of providing consistent sustain. Skadi and Zhuge Liang have defense buffs but that's hardly a replacement and precisely the reason why these two ultimately fail at certain type of quests (at least Skadi, Zhuge Liang usually leeches off from another Support).

Skill cooldown reduction is a utility. Like any other utility, it's dependent on your team composition. The team NP battery on Eightfold Blessings is the more important effect in the majority of situations.

I have yet to run into a situation in JP where Tamamo's cooldown reduction was actually needed to cycle a skill for an enemy NP or something. And even then I'd much rather rely on a harder defense like AOE charge drain on Prince's March or Jeanne's team Invuln.

In fact, I never use Tamamo in JP at all, and I run Arts teams full-time.

And this kind of thinking made stop caring because in the grand scheme of things no strategy is better or worse than the other. The FGO "meta" doesn't exist in the first place and there is no need to establish one.

It's not about enforcing a meta. It's about determining which servants are best in certain team comps. I can acknowledge what the best teams are without having to use them myself. I mean, what did you expect from the guy that grailed BB to 100 instead of like, Gil or something

In JP, the best stall team you can currently have is Qin Shi Huang with Jeanne and Merlin, or double Merlin. Tamamo being "usable" in this comp doesn't mean she's good for it. There's a big difference between servants being usable (which virtually every servant is) and servants being good.

"Blitzing" might be better for most quests but then outright fails in others. How can this be the "superior" strategy? It fails to cover a portion of the game.

On the other hand "slow play" will always work. It takes time (Jeanne teams especially *cough*) but you will complete the quest in a reliable manner.

Blitzing is the superior strategy because it will get you through the vast majority of content more reliably than stall. A small subset of quests being more feasible to stall for most people doesn't suddenly make stall the superior strategy. If anything it's a last resort.

In recent JP CQs, the longer you take to complete a quest, the more likely you are to lose. Enemies are now hitting harder than before, and can stack buffs to make themselves more dangerous. Blitzing is very effective in these scenarios because they limit the number of turns the enemy has to act.

So yeah, that second line is patently false, at least in JP. Stall teams have in fact become increasingly difficult to use, especially if you aren't using the stronger options.

45 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

My head hurt after typing this wall above.

Now I got a seizure trying to comprehend the individual who mashed all these sci-fi franchises together.
Just ... why?

Because the writers and character designers are huge dorks that like to have fun by cramming shout-outs into their joke characters.  Brave Liz mashes together DQ, Ys, and Combattler V (two of those are fantasy RPGs and the last is a mecha series).  Nobu has explicitly been described as fighting like Tomoe Mami from Madoka (not in FGO, but somewhere in the GudaGuda comics IIRC). Okita is a bunch of references to Ruroni Kenshin.

Normal servants aren't really immune to this either, though it's usually more subtle, like Sigurd mentioning Fafnir was white with blue eyes, or various servant animations being based off of Gundam or SRW.  Unless you're Rider Kintoki, who is basically a Kamen Rider and is all but called that in his profile, to the point that his intro during the Temple of Time was literally a Kamen Rider transformation.

My gacha luck seems to be on a roll lately.In FEH it's Adrift M!Corrin + Julia in a session, followed by FGO with 2 Moriarty+Yan Qing in a 10-roll. 

Regarding Yan Qing, should I prioritize training him over Hassan of Cursed Arm? I tried to google but there isn't direct comparison between two of them. I just want to have a ST Assassin for star gen & deal with rider in story campaign. 

14 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

Regarding Yan Qing, should I prioritize training him over Hassan of Cursed Arm? I tried to google but there isn't direct comparison between two of them. I just want to have a ST Assassin for star gen & deal with rider in story campaign. 

It’s a bit difficult to say. Hassan is probably better for the rarity he’s in, while conversely Yan Qing is considered to be a very lame assassin, and one of the weaker 4*s overall. Plus the former should be easier to level up. However, Hassan also has significantly lower stats so you need to keep that in mind unless you plan to feed him a couple grails. 

14 minutes ago, Silverly said:

It’s a bit difficult to say. Hassan is probably better for the rarity he’s in, while conversely Yan Qing is considered to be a very lame assassin, and one of the weaker 4*s overall. Plus the former should be easier to level up. However, Hassan also has significantly lower stats so you need to keep that in mind unless you plan to feed him a couple grails. 

Yan is actually kinda legit after his buff. Just like..... uhhh 90% of servant out there his "issue" is the one thing called not having Interlude. Works well with Skadi etc

There was legit a time before his buff where NP5 Yan Qing is outdamaged by NP5 Kojiro ungrailed. That was quite a dark time