Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally done with Shimosa! The story was decent but nothing super awesome, doesn't help that it really showed favoritism for those that know Japan's history and folklore. I was able to get a few references here and there but many flew over my head which led to me having a "huh" reaction most of the time. Oh well, Grandpa Shiromasa, Musashi and Danzo were the stars of the show with a small cameo from Kotaro, the others were there but it was kinda forgettable. 

As for the duels, I'd rate it from hardest to easiest: Shuten/Raikou>Paraiso>Empireo>Purgatorio>>Limbo>>>>>>>Inferno.

I had to use CS for the Shuten Raikou one because NP drain effect is no fun and after losing 3 times I went "fuck it, let my own Raikou destroy these worthless Oni worms with back to back NPs). Yagyu was technically stronger than Paraiso but Paraiso was a bigger pain to deal with (stupid evade spam), Yagyu is not immune to effective dmg from Euryale so he went down fast although it took me 2 tries because at first he decided to lock on Euryale and managed to kill her before she broke his 2nd bar. Limbo was booring, and poor Tomoe ended up being pathetically easy against Tamalancer.

The final boss got BB'd (he managed to kill the other 2 I had but by the time he got his NP off he was basically dead, and even then he couldn't kill BB).

I kept one person in my front line with Sweet Crystal the whole time through Shimousa just to smack the people who want to evade spam. Honestly I'll probably level 100 a copy of it eventually, since it's such a good general purpose CE, but it'll be awhile since it basically takes a whole year to get enough exp to max level a 5* CE.

Parasio kicked my ass the first time I fought her since I was still running a full Knight Class lineup up to that point---after that I decided 'fuck it' and started running actual min-maxed comps. Caster Nero punched Parasio's face in once I actually brought her to the fight, though. (Yagyu was pretty lulsy for me since I brought in Black Grail Archer Archuria for his fight, so his third break bar of only taking NP damage was pretty hilarious, especially since he was kind enough to give everyone NP gain up.)

IRRC the two Hells and Parasio were the major fights that took two attempts, everyone else had issues that made them far less of a threat. (The two Hells technically took 4 attempts between the two fights, since I didn't know they'd retreat after losing a single hp bar the first time---saw the 500k break bars and nope'd out with my Bond farming team.)

I remember losing more fights than just 3, though, so I probably lost a few to trash mobs as well from running Bond farming comps.

So, uh, this happened:

Spoiler

After 300 SQ and an additional big SQ bundle I finally rolled one copy of Tomoe Gozen.

... I also got NP3 Musashi. Alongside a Rama spook for NP2 and Archer is now my first SR at NP5 (actually fitting as he was my starter Servant).
And yes, I lost some 1-Ups on the way.

Dunno how I feel about that. I will have to forget about KH unless they give us a lot during Thanksgiving which I highly doubt at this point.
Oh well, time to save up for the Apocrypha event.

Still doing Shimosa though I will have to say; despite being of much higher writing quality this is basically Nero's Septem for Musashi.
Good for people like me who enjoy her, not so good if you don't.

47 minutes ago, Shiki said:

Still doing Shimosa though I will have to say; despite being of much higher writing quality this is basically Nero's Septem for Musashi.
Good for people like me who enjoy her, not so good if you don't.

Is it really? I thought many people’s issue with Septem or at least with Nero in particular was that the narrative really pushed her as a Mary Sue and failed miserably at it. I don’t think that’s the same case with Musashi. She’s pretty open about her flaws and the story never passes over the idea that she can do no wrong nor is she some unflappable juggernaut.  

11 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Is it really? I thought many people’s issue with Septem or at least with Nero in particular was that the narrative really pushed her as a Mary Sue and failed miserably at it. I don’t think that’s the same case with Musashi. She’s pretty open about her flaws and the story never passes over the idea that she can do no wrong nor is she some unflappable juggernaut.  

That was whats usually said but honestly if you actually reread Septem(please no, don't hate yourself that much, there are better things in life to live for etc) its primary glaring issue is that the story is just boring with nothing really fucking happening. While older FGO story is not that good as a whole they at bare mnimum tend to have something actually happened - Orleans had the whole Jeanne and Jeanne Alter story arc, Okeanos had the whole plot by Jason as a central story.

London....

Actually London is also shit too for largely the same issue as Septem - nothing. happened. Its touted as "investigation" and played as "go around do nothing" but the final parts of the story is such a high octane moment you'd be forgiven if you think otherwise.

You CAN make a story with 90 billion character shilling and still make it work, Septem's issue is they did the character shilling on the canvas of the shitty nothing happened that is Septem. THERE IS A WAR YOU GO IN CAVE THEN YOU RETURN ALSO LEV DIED. There, Septem summarized. The way i see it is once you left the nothing behind you get only the character shilling making it as if that was the entire thing.

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner Yeah, that’s true. That’s actually why I hate London so much is because you said, 3/4ths of the story is you fucking off while killing the occasional servant that shows up for a minute like Mephisto/Paracelsus/Babbage and the last quarter is a complete shitshow. It also gave me a bad first impression of Mordred since I played this before watching Apocrypha (which has its own can of worms but that’s another story), and here she just comes off as “hi I’m tsun and got angst I hate my daddy”. Funnily enough, she ended up being one of the better parts of Apoc and largely redeemed her in my eye but again, Apocrypha is a whole different animal.

While objectively Septem is probably worse than London or Agartha, I still prefer it to either of them because at its worst I simply find it a meh nothingburger. It helps that I have a soft spot for Umu as well, even if the narrative does her absolutely no favors. I think what brought us to talking about Septem in the first place was that Shiki compared Shimosa to it, or at least compared Nero and Musashi. I called that into question because it seemed odd to me considering how different the writing portrays both of them. 

7 hours ago, Silverly said:

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner Yeah, that’s true. That’s actually why I hate London so much is because you said, 3/4ths of the story is you fucking off while killing the occasional servant that shows up for a minute like Mephisto/Paracelsus/Babbage and the last quarter is a complete shitshow. It also gave me a bad first impression of Mordred since I played this before watching Apocrypha (which has its own can of worms but that’s another story), and here she just comes off as “hi I’m tsun and got angst I hate my daddy”. Funnily enough, she ended up being one of the better parts of Apoc and largely redeemed her in my eye but again, Apocrypha is a whole different animal.

While objectively Septem is probably worse than London or Agartha, I still prefer it to either of them because at its worst I simply find it a meh nothingburger. It helps that I have a soft spot for Umu as well, even if the narrative does her absolutely no favors. I think what brought us to talking about Septem in the first place was that Shiki compared Shimosa to it, or at least compared Nero and Musashi. I called that into question because it seemed odd to me considering how different the writing portrays both of them. 

I feel Mordred in London is "OK" in that she MOSTLY acts very tame. She shows some "daddy hate angst" and "tsun"ness but for the most part she's just a stand in "nice" character who act nice, and is largely only used to set up her Camelot appearance where she's the equivalent of a kicked puppy

Seriously if you want to see how much of an unfair person Artoria is, look at Camelot and her treatment to the Knights.

She's also like that for the most part in Apocrypha, but her interaction with Shishigou carried it out. Of all character in Apocrypha, she ranks along the lines of the siblings for me at second place, the first place being Shishigou and Gordes. Gordes is just a really glaring example of a massive character development and a really good character progression that is so uncharacteristic of Apocrypha its actually ridiculous

I think its KINDA(kinda) fair to call something "X version of  Septem" to notes out "this story REALLY heavilly focus on these bunch".  Theres actually going to be one other story thats been described along the lines of Septem later down the line but it was never as bad as Septem.

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

On 10/14/2019 at 4:05 AM, Silverly said:

Musashi being handled better is part of the improved writing quality but it doesn't change the fact that this entire chapter revolves around her. If someone doesn't care about or even dislike her then they will get bored quickly.

Speaking of which, I have finished Shimosa. Overall, it's a great EoR chapter. I put it on an equal or above level to Shinjuku but it's still 2nd place to CCC.

Spoiler

Gameplay-wise it's not difficult by any means. I think that Agartha is definetly harder than this and even the supposedly hardest fight with the Hell duo was nothing to write home about. I don't think this fight was a taste of what's to come with LB3 either.

The difficulty spike does exist but it's completely artifical due to forced supports. Many people rely on their FL for full team setups and being denied of that means you might be missing out on vital Servants. I'm lucky enough to be able to form proper teams with my own roster but others might struggle a lot here, especially if they didn't bother to train any of the free Servants to have some kind of replacement.

In terms of story fights I would rank it like this: Empireo > Hell > Paraiso > Limbo > Amakusa > Inferno > Purgatorio
I was surprised to hear that Lancer gave anyone trouble. This is the one fight where the forced Musashi support can actually be useful. Buff removal completely destroys his Crit gimmick and NP buffs so Musashi with decent Support makes short work of him.
Inferno isn't anything special. The burn gimmick doesn't do anything to make the fight more difficult. If it wasn't for the fact that they force Musashi on you I would have put this below Purgatorio.
Amakusa got nerfed hard. Whenever this guy appears he is annoying because his Ruler class makes it so much harder to kill him which in turn makes his NP a lot more dangerous. As an Avenger though he is a joke.
Limbo is a big Ghost mob and you know what they say: The bigger they are they better you can stuff pyramids in their gaping mouths. or something like that
Paraiso was unexpectedly annoying with her random stun and NP seal. Still not that difficult and falls to the same Rule Breaker spam as other Assassin bosses.
Hell's difficulty lies entirely on Samghata. AoE Charm is never fun, so is her impeding your NP usage with her normal attacks. If you manage to get her out of the way though this fight is pretty straightforward. Kalasutra can dish out some scary damage but it's not something some good old counter-classing can't solve.
Empireo is the only one who forced a retry but that's more because I didn't know about his gimmick. After using all my buffs to only stare down a naked frontline was already a red flag, it then got worse when he got that damage immunity for his last bar without Euryale having her NP ready. 
But once you know about that good ol' Matcha tea here made short work of him.

I already said this but I do enjoy Musashi's character therefore Shimosa didn't have to do much to make like it.  But they characterized her pretty well and there was a lot of good things here.
As someone who has an interest in japanese mythology the references in both history and text are great. It can be a bit lengthy but if it enriches the experience I take as much as I can. If anything the things I didn't get gave me some pointers where I want to read in next.
But people are absolutely right when they compared this to Makai Tensho. This IS Makai Tensho, an almost too-faithful rip-off. They just replaced Jubei with Musashi and shuffled around some of the undead' identities.

Fuuma was a good companion for this. tbh he is the only ninja Servant in Chaldea but I do like him and giving him more exposure is always good in my books.
Surprisingly enough I liked the way Shuten and Raikou were handled here compared to anything before it. Both of them are used in a much more comical fashion but them displaying their personality traits in this rather serious setting worked pretty well. Does that mean Kintoki is the culprit? Noooooooo.
On the other hand the original characters sans Munenori were cut a bit short. Aside from some exposition that hinted to their true identity there wasn't that much to make people invested in them. At least Tomoe will get Setsubun but I don't think Chiyome has anything to make her stand out more.
Muramasa got a lot less time than I anticipated. He is not around for the entire middle part and really doesn't do anything significant until the very last moment. Though I guess that's all too fitting for a Shirou Pseudo-Servant.
The Servant cameo were ... bizarre. Was it really necessary to have Tamamo and Kiyohime as different characters? They weren't even Servants. I would have preferred them as NPCs like Onui and Tasuke.

One thing I found weird is Ashiya Doman. I'm not sure I understand how this guy survived being struck down twice and manages to be in LB4. Is he supposed to be immortal? Even if he is Musashi should have been able to cut him down regardless as she affects his Karma with the Muramasa (which is the entire reason why she can put the Swordmasters out of their misery).

Edited by Shiki

Gotta say, Amakusa’s boss fight may seem scary at first due to his NP, but Nightingale and BB completely trivializes the fight. I had a combination of BB and support Nightingale, I won rather easily. Shimousa is full of bosses that seem scary at first, but are rather simple when you fight them.

I got a robot! After doing a couple yolo rolls before the specific rate ups, Danzo showed up, who I wanted the most. Now that I got her for certain, I’ll definitely hold off until the Raikou/Danzo/Yagyu rate up (don’t really care about Shuten). I’m in dire need of more berserkers and Raikou could be a lifesaver for farming/quests, Danzo is more NP copies for my selfish needs, and Yagyu is a solid saber I guess though I don’t really need him. However, I probably will save some leftover quartz for the Rins, especially Ishtar because she won’t get another rate up for two years whereas at least Eresh comes back next Christmas if my shot at her is a bust. 

@QKumber I saw your message board and that sounds horrible. Around 700 quartz and only one SR? Was the servant in question even on rate up? My fullest condolences for RNGsus cursing you.

My girl Rin is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! Oh and Calamity Jane is cool too, but RIN.

Sadly I don’t play JP so I gotta wait eons for this one. 

On that topic, DW seemingly decided to deliberately annoy just about everyone with this announcement, specifically two things

1. No welfare!  The Voice actresses in the stream seemed so puzzled when that was mentioned...
  2. The only servant who boosts Artorium is OG Artoria.  

I wanna be hype for all the recent Ishtarin love but the no welfare announcement kinda killed the hype badly for me.  Hopefully this gets made up for somehow, a new years welfare or something...

2015: 3 new welfares due to only from August onwards. Caster Liz, Nobu, and Rider Artoria
2016: 7 new welfares. Shiki, Irisviel, Rider Kintoki, Summer Scathach, Chloe, Saber Liz, and lancer Jeanne 
2017: 5 new Welfares Chacha, BB, Paul Bunyan,  Rider Ishtar,  two Liz mechs, and archer Attila
2018: 5 new welfares: Sieg, Ryoma, Berserker Jeanne,  Caster Shuten, and Ruler Quetz
2019: 3 Welfares so far: Gray, Kagetora, and saber Hokusai.

2019 felt like largely slow year for FGO with only one lost belt chapter released this year (next one should be out by the end of the year.) Reruns all over the place. Filter events,. DW wants to push Ishtar/Rin so much due to the Babylonia anime at the cost of others. Please let Jane and Rin not be that stupid gunner/hunter class idea. I hope DW has more eventful (pun unintended) goals for next year.

I 'like' how the maps with big enemy mobs in them only show 2 mobs at first even when there's 3 total. The third one shows up next turn even if you don't kill anything, though, which is interesting.

Mind, that only costs a turn at most, and I think my max turn count was something like 11 or 12 for the map with the mass production models. Really feels like they meant you to do the event over the whole 2 weeks rather than chugging apples like I'm doing, considering how grindy the missions are.

Edited by DehNutCase

I'm just glad the monotonous pattern of seasonal reruns is finally being broken with this new event.

The complaints about no welfare are honestly being overblown. There is no obligation to give the players a free servant nor is there any guarantee that servant would be good. People just dislike the event because it's related to Saber Wars.

Looking at that break down if we didn't get wellfare for Halloween season but get one on Chr we'll get 4 Wellfare to the "actual average" of 5 so really its not too bad anyway

I won't deny i'm bummed my no new wellfare since lets be honest Wellfare is blatantly overpowered but eh

@MrSmokestack Said it before and said it again. While Saber Wars is a "lame" event off of being an early event. It was never close to the shitshow that was Onigashima, GudaGuda1, and Journey Japanese Run/Journey NA part 2

In fact in this year alone and last year Ooku and Summer 3 is THE grand champion of pretty darn shitty event and the former is apparently popular lolw

The "issue" with Saber wars is a myth since the ONLY reason you want Saber for that is because you want to farm Scathach, something Saber Lilly and Okita friend is perfectly servicable for. For points Lilly + Okita friend farming Scathach is all you need. Otherwise you should realize how minimal the loss of "not using Sabers" are and just use fucking Heracles unless your one of those idiots who unironically thinks Heracles is only good for meme bond CE

Its shit because Ladder but it is what it is

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

10 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

In fact in this year alone and last year Ooku and Summer 3 is THE grand champion of pretty darn shitty event and the former is apparently popular lolw

I'm pretty sure the main appeal of Ooku was the writing in the first half of it, I remember a lot of complaining about the Labyrinth of Loading screens part of it on Reddit back when the event was running.

Granted they did patch the load times a bit over halfway through the event, and it gave a lot of basically free mats once you got past all the loading screens.  

Anyway, grailed Lanling to 100 and got him to 10/10/10 on JP.  I'd been debating myself on who I should spend grails on on that account and that's who I decided on.  

Even though I know she’s not very useful, I rolled Osakabehime and managed to get her in in 5 rolls! But I do hear she’s very good at solo battles. Is she really? Does the healing from NP really keep her going?

Also, when I got her, it was a silver card that turned gold. Those feel soooo good, don’t they? Who else has a big stupid grin when that happens?

47 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Even though I know she’s not very useful, I rolled Osakabehime and managed to get her in in 5 rolls! But I do hear she’s very good at solo battles. Is she really? Does the healing from NP really keep her going?

Also, when I got her, it was a silver card that turned gold. Those feel soooo good, don’t they? Who else has a big stupid grin when that happens?

I had bigger grin when seeing the Rainbow Rolls. Looks so satisfying

Its not that Osa is "good solo". I would argue for soloer shes mediocre at best it just so happen people saw like 2 video of her doing stuff solo >_> Granted she is very bulky

Osa excels in endurance battle against Rider where the enemy NP is not strong enough to outright kill you. Her NP is on the tier of Mash and her skills and class advantage comes into play big time. The problem is such a fight is VERY rare(according to the guy i asked about this on gamefaqs Gugallana is pretty much the last fight that fits the criteria and nothing ever got upscaled from there) and if Osa is forced to play like generic support she suffers from underwhelming button, and having 1 less arts card

To put this into perspective, Tamamo already suffers from terrible button issue and Osakabehime's skillset, bar fox wedding is actually better, but not better enough to give her fantastic button quality. You CAN transform NP into a pseudo button but the problem is NP buff duration is 1 less than advertised if you consider you don't get the full benefit until the next turn

I personally think Osakabehime is either perceived as Quick support when she really isn't intended as one, or is made by someone on DW who tried to make "classic quick playstyle" a thing, a playstyle that was never truly viable and really only ever become a thing because content simply had too few stats for anything to matter. The game intended or not is balanced around Arts and such Arts playstyle is really the only playstyle thats viable

Reason why i think the latter is because Osa explicitly have Teamwide Quick buff(instead of the all in approach of normal support), and her cardset is set up as really good AAQQB - Osa's deck is 1.6 Arts and 3.2 Quick which is ridiculously good for AAQQB standard. Contrast this with Skadi who'se AAQQB is set more towards really really good Arts and mediocre but not bad 2.56 Quick. The so called Quick playstyle would prioritizes Quick chain the same way Buster and Arts prioritizes Quick chain. It.... doesn't work since NP is the strongest mechanic and Quick have much worse NP gen unless you involve arts in it, and they were never good at producing stars to begin with

8 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

I had bigger grin when seeing the Rainbow Rolls. Looks so satisfying

Its not that Osa is "good solo". I would argue for soloer shes mediocre at best it just so happen people saw like 2 video of her doing stuff solo >_> Granted she is very bulky

Osa excels in endurance battle against Rider where the enemy NP is not strong enough to outright kill you. Her NP is on the tier of Mash and her skills and class advantage comes into play big time. The problem is such a fight is VERY rare(according to the guy i asked about this on gamefaqs Gugallana is pretty much the last fight that fits the criteria and nothing ever got upscaled from there) and if Osa is forced to play like generic support she suffers from underwhelming button, and having 1 less arts card

To put this into perspective, Tamamo already suffers from terrible button issue and Osakabehime's skillset, bar fox wedding is actually better, but not better enough to give her fantastic button quality. You CAN transform NP into a pseudo button but the problem is NP buff duration is 1 less than advertised if you consider you don't get the full benefit until the next turn

I personally think Osakabehime is either perceived as Quick support when she really isn't intended as one, or is made by someone on DW who tried to make "classic quick playstyle" a thing, a playstyle that was never truly viable and really only ever become a thing because content simply had too few stats for anything to matter. The game intended or not is balanced around Arts and such Arts playstyle is really the only playstyle thats viable

Reason why i think the latter is because Osa explicitly have Teamwide Quick buff(instead of the all in approach of normal support), and her cardset is set up as really good AAQQB - Osa's deck is 1.6 Arts and 3.2 Quick which is ridiculously good for AAQQB standard. Contrast this with Skadi who'se AAQQB is set more towards really really good Arts and mediocre but not bad 2.56 Quick. The so called Quick playstyle would prioritizes Quick chain the same way Buster and Arts prioritizes Quick chain. It.... doesn't work since NP is the strongest mechanic and Quick have much worse NP gen unless you involve arts in it, and they were never good at producing stars to begin with

Long story short, Osa is a mediocre support who happens to be decent at solo? 
Mean as it sounds, I wasn’t expecting much from her anyway so it doesn’t bother me. I wonder if Osa would have been better with a triple Arts deck and an Arts np.

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Long story short, Osa is a mediocre support who happens to be decent at solo? 

NEET just doesn't know what she wants to do.

While her buff value is pretty good, she misses having NP charge making her worse than the Big Four supports. Her NP not being Arts also hurts NP consistency due to less Arts chaining. Especially if the DPS is not using an Arts NP.

Most of the defense for her being good is based off of theorycrafting. She has done almost nothing of note in the two years since her release. Her one notable use was in GUDAGUDA 3 CQ as PG fodder and that's it.