Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

8 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Random fun fact: We only noticed how strong Medb is around a month ago lol. Shes considered really weak when shes actually so strong she completely shits on the compeititon

I think the reason no one noticed Saber Medb’s strength is because I’ve heard she quite disliked in JP, so people didn’t talk much about her. And her niche probably wasn’t noticed she had to compete with Summer Jeanne’s looping and Summer BB’s card locking and other OP skills(I don’t think she aged well though). Summer 3 was also when people found out about Skadi looping she that also took attention away from Medb. I also heard good things about Summer Ibaraki so maybe Medb had to compete with her for attention too.

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the hydra hunt was a wyvern hunt instead, want the fangs a lot more than the wines. (Not sure I'll run out of wines even if I end up pulling every servant that uses them...)

Thanks to the hydra taking up 3 people's worth of space, and the 'boss' slot too, the fangs are so much worse than bones in terms of drops.

On 5/28/2020 at 2:35 AM, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

IMO Saber arts ranking right now is Caesar > Twins > or >= Medb > Saberlot = Hokusai but yeah a lot of people does tease me about Hokusai when she was released(i actually joked about it as well) but after testing her some things just doesn't click

Just out of curiosity, this is if you not count SSR sabers right? yeah must be

And if you don`t mind, as someone who doesn`t play nor even follows jp too much, why was Medb not considered so strong? Or why it took so long for jp to realize it? Just giving a quick look her kit seems fairly decent no?

Charisma + crit dmg  / battery (20% x 3) and extra stars are always nice / charm + arts resist down on AoE

8 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

I wish the hydra hunt was a wyvern hunt instead, want the fangs a lot more than the wines. (Not sure I'll run out of wines even if I end up pulling every servant that uses them...)

Thanks to the hydra taking up 3 people's worth of space, and the 'boss' slot too, the fangs are so much worse than bones in terms of drops.

yeah... the bone node was pretty good but this one is meh TwT

back to Deming

59 minutes ago, QKumber said:

And if you don`t mind, as someone who doesn`t play nor even follows jp too much, why was Medb not considered so strong? Or why it took so long for jp to realize it? Just giving a quick look her kit seems fairly decent no?

Charisma + crit dmg  / battery (20% x 3) and extra stars are always nice / charm + arts resist down on AoE

That’s cause Saber Medb was really unpopular in japan. 
Here’s the explanation from Reddit from this thread: 

Hype-Backlash explanation: Medb (Swimsuit)

Medb's swimsuit in terms of appearance and design-wise, which is looked down upon by most fans due to shown with mediocre design especially her infamous second ascension’s bust-size becoming a meme. Not just Japanese fans feel distracted about this, even some feel the same way too, like this one for example. Her third ascension is based on fashion choice for gravure idol.

There was a JP blogger posted the rant topic of her breast anatomy explanation.

Biidama [ビー玉], literally translates to marble ball, referring to the shaped-sized of Medb Summer’s breasts. Surprisingly her original counterpart didn’t get this term because Dead Heat Summer event shows she is being endowed, as what Conditioner1000 has explained in their comment.

The most popular criticism about why Medb Summer gets overshadowed, in terms of appeal and craziness factor: Many summer servants we’ve seen so far have crazy background story or meme behind their design: Leviathan Ballerina, King Bunny-girl, Flying Jetpack Shinsengumi, Maid Rider, Space Office Lady, One Punch Saint, Cowboy Samurai, Medjeb, Chuunibyou Doujin Artist, and the list goes on. The criticism sounds reasonable for some feel disappointed when they see Medb lacks craziness factor and being a generic gravure idol.

It’s confirmed that her draft design got rejected according to her profile from FGO Material VII:

Artist Comment

I also got some really extreme Medb-like suggestions from Takeuchi, and well after I kept stacking things on her the design was obviously rejected (lmao).

Although the character design is not a major issue there, it's her plot-relevant is what people find it underwhelming

• Medb barely contributes to the Servant Festival’s central plot, despite she has her own role centers around her being an idol rich girl, and rival of Ushiwakamaru, Some fans feel this way about her plot-relevant does not impact the overarching conflict between Jalter’s circle, Jeanne's circle, BB and Mysterious Foreigner. She did help Guda and others to fight the XX temporary because she thought the alien stole her limelight (OH DEAR...).

• Several criticisms of the character are her gravure idol-persona gets flak for being obnoxious and egotistical in a bad way when comparing to Nero, Lambda or Elizabeth, her rivalry with Ushi does not last long then ends up a one-note, and gets her seen as a wasted potential of character writing. Which speaks volumes why she gets a swimsuit but gets the weakest contribution to the plot.

Related to the fanart discussion. When Lambda made her debut, she stole Medb’s thunder for being another character has associated with the penguin Leviathan. It’s barely to see fanart of Medb hanging out with them.

It’s kind of difficult to find Medb Summer on Twitter fanart these days

3 hours ago, QKumber said:

Dioscuri (aka Twins) is an SSR.  It's specifically a comparison of ST Arts Sabers, regardless of rarity. 

Caesar being 'ranked' is a riff on the fact that Caesar is basically one of the best ST Sabers in general for JP right now, and is extremely accessible, so why bother with any of the Arts Sabers.

5 hours ago, QKumber said:

Currently in JP "meta" at least if were talking min max shit(TM) the meta is completely dominated by Quick memes, and Monarch abuse. This is because Skadi's skillset is extremely strong  in the right way - she boost NP damage by 95%, her critical boosting can add supplement to simple NP nuking, and she have 50% battery.

Arts generally did not have anything that can contend to that power level, and stalling is not THAT effective of an option because Tamamo's skillset are generally limited in what she can do.
Medb actually still isn't considered so strong, if you ask majority of people they'd tell you she sucks, and objectively speaking she's not that good, but recently we calced her numbers and turns out she have enough of a powerful traits that she's genuinely a pretty insane servant all things considered

- Loop specs on the level of Archuria - at 4.3 NP mod and 20 Regeneration, Medb is able to refill 32.9% of her NP without any buff outside of overkill. Arhcuria is 39%

- Lame turn 1 damage, but Nice Shot can potentially proc multiple times allowing her damage to snowball

- Fairly fine buffset of 20% Arts and 20% atk which is alvailable for full 3 turns

When considering her nice shot build up being ATK buff bracket, it stacks really well with atk buff-light pool that is arts. The key with her is to enable her to loop her NP, and do nice shot stack do the rest. Fairly weak first NP, but past that she picks up

People heavilly sleeps on her as early as they look at her 8000 atk cap and thinks her damage sucks. In reality her NP damage is only slightly lower than Saber Lancelot, and due to how arts are set up shes capable of hitting far above her weight

That being said investing on Saber Medb is not  a bad thing but its moreso because Summer BB is one of the most powerful tools to have and they share banner(its kinda like Ash, while hes much more solid overall than Saber Medb, you get a chance of him when your trying to get Asclepius and Arjuna Alter anyway)

Gonna add, I have Benienma, shes really good but the problem with her is her kit is not something that you can use for pure damage chasing, lack of critical consistency while not having powerful loop specs. Shes used when you want to have stally utility, her team battery is amazing, and her anti shenanigans gives her a lot of place to shine though so i'd easilly reccomend her as a very good servant. Shes easilly top 5 arts saber when were looking at overall value instead of damage output potential(Bride, Beni, Disocuri,

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Dioscuri (aka Twins) is an SSR.  It's specifically a comparison of ST Arts Sabers, regardless of rarity. 

Caesar being 'ranked' is a riff on the fact that Caesar is basically one of the best ST Sabers in general for JP right now, and is extremely accessible, so why bother with any of the Arts Sabers.

Yeah Caesar is so powerful that its actually completely out of mind

In a completely optimized state, Caesar is currently either the strongest or the second strongest Quick servant for damage,  provided he gets the right amount of stack(and non 5 stack Caesar is already pretty strong as is). Lets put it this way, Caesar is so powerful that his optimized damage is fairly close to NP5 Sigurd hitting Dragon

I mean, Sigurd's kit is basically comparable to a launch servant's kit, or a 4*'s. 50% extra damage on your NP from dragon effectiveness doesn't really matter when you're missing an interlude (about a 20% damage difference at NP5, assuming the interlude doesn't give anything but extra damage on the NP) and your kit is a bad joke.

50% Buster Up and 100% Crit Damage aren't bad, but if they're all you have your kit is pretty damn sad. It's also unintentionally hilarious that he has pretty much exact buffs Merlin gives too, so you even scale a bit worse in a Merlin comp since Sigurd's trying to look for Atk Ups which is Merlin's weakest buff. (Aside from NP Damage Up, which Merlin doesn't have---but Black Grail gives so much that NP Damage Up on skills isn't really interesting unless you give outrageous amounts of it.)

Dude feels like a (average level, not hilariously good like Chloe or Kintoki) free servant trapped in a 5*'s body.

Edited by DehNutCase

15 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I mean, Sigurd's kit is basically comparable to a launch servant's kit, or a 4*'s. 50% extra damage on your NP from dragon effectiveness doesn't really matter when you're missing an interlude (about a 20% damage difference at NP5, assuming the interlude doesn't give anything but extra damage on the NP) and your kit is a bad joke.

50% Buster Up and 100% Crit Damage aren't bad, but if they're all you have your kit is pretty damn sad. It's also unintentionally hilarious that he has pretty much exact buffs Merlin gives too, so you even scale a bit worse in a Merlin comp since Sigurd's trying to look for Atk Ups which is Merlin's weakest buff. (Aside from NP Damage Up, which Merlin doesn't have---but Black Grail gives so much that Np Damage Up on skills isn't really interesting unless you give outrageous amounts of it.)

Dude feels like a (average level, not hilariously good like Chloe or Kintoki) free servant trapped in a 5*'s body.

Sigurd is pretty weak i agree, its just that Double Merlin Sigurd is a level of damage power that you don't normally get from a servant, and the fact that Caesar is able to be stronger than that speaks volumes to how ridiculous he is

Thanks for all the replies everyone o/

Interesting to see all the numbers being crunched and all.

And no more love for Medb is a shame, I really dig her design. Oh well, what to do -> starts learnign how to draw =]

edit: I should learn how to calc those myself, but thinking of spamming Medb np and adding tons of def breaks seems pretty fun! I tried that a bit with my own Bride, and they do stack to decently high numbers since they last for so long

Edited by QKumber

The EXP from farming the hunting quests racks up really quickly, and that's not very good when I'm starting to run out of space (Second Archive is full already) to keep them...so yeah, time to level unused servants time! 

I'm not really hurting in any class so I'd like to know who has a more unique niche from this list. Farming is not something I value as much right now because I have plenty of reliable 3t setups that cover almost everything. 

Spoiler
  • Santa Alter
  • Taiga (Jaguar Man)
  • Nobu
  • EMIYA
  • Marie
  • D'Eon
  • Sumanai
  • Saber Lily
  • Lancer Vlad
  • Fionn
  • Caster Liz
  • Chacha
  • Passionlip
  • Chiyome when did I get her? She just appeared on the 2nd archive

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

The EXP from farming the hunting quests racks up really quickly, and that's not very good when I'm starting to run out of space (Second Archive is full already) to keep them...so yeah, time to level unused servants time! 

I'm not really hurting in any class so I'd like to know who has a more unique niche from this list. Farming is not something I value as much right now because I have plenty of reliable 3t setups that cover almost everything. 

Hide contents
  • Santa Alter
  • Taiga (Jaguar Man)
  • Nobu
  • EMIYA
  • Marie
  • D'Eon
  • Sumanai
  • Saber Lily
  • Lancer Vlad
  • Fionn
  • Caster Liz
  • Chacha
  • Passionlip

D'Eon has the somewhat unique niche of being a worse Mash, a role that's pretty much only filled by D'Eon and Mash.

In all seriousness, though, D'Eon and Fionn are both usable servants with taunt, so they're decent role players if you're into using taunt. (I only rarely use taunt, though, and most of the time I use a taunt is because it's stapled to Mash's hilariously overpowered Golden Rule.) Lancer Vlad also has a taunt, but his defense is just a 1 turn 40% defense rather than an Evade, so he's not as interesting for most purposes. Similar story for Passionlip, although bulky alter-ego that has a taunt might be interesting if you're into face card farming. She even has a triple buster deck to keep your other damage dealers full hp while you smack people with red cards.

Aside from that I'd just go for whichever servant you think looks the nicest.

(The true 4Head solution is to realize that FGO is a game about grinding. So if you've grinded enough that you have excess resources it's time to bust out your wallet and roll for SSRs to eat up your resources. So you can grind more, you see.)

9 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Hide contents
  • Santa Alter
  • Taiga (Jaguar Man)
  • Nobu
  • EMIYA
  • Marie
  • D'Eon
  • Sumanai
  • Saber Lily
  • Lancer Vlad
  • Fionn
  • Caster Liz
  • Chacha
  • Passionlip

Despite all the memes about him being bad, Fionn is actually quite good as a NP looper. He has a NP gain skill and his Arts buff works quite well with looping. He also gets a NP charge in January next year. That NP charge skill also have Taunt and Evade so it can work to avoid ST NPs. However it does have to at Skill level 10 to be a 100% evade.

Sumanai also has a bad reputation, but his buffs made him actually really good. With a Buster buff and NP gain buff on his NP he will hit hard and often NP. He also deals insane damage to Dragons even being better than class advantage in some cases. He’s the best dragon slayer in the game and beats Mordred at her own niche.

Emiya is arguably the best SR Archer other than Chloe. His Hawkeye skill gives a 100% Crit buff so his crits hits really hard. He also has a universal card buff so no matter the card color he will always deal good damage.

Edited by Water Mage

12 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

D'Eon has the somewhat unique niche of being a worse Mash, a role that's pretty much only filled by D'Eon and Mash.

In all seriousness, though, D'Eon and Fionn are both usable servants with taunt, so they're decent role players if you're into using taunt. (I only rarely use taunt, though, and most of the time I use a taunt is because it's stapled to Mash's hilariously overpowered Golden Rule.) Lancer Vlad also has a taunt, but his defense is just a 1 turn 40% defense rather than an Evade, so he's not as interesting for most purposes. Similar story for Passionlip, although bulky alter-ego that has a taunt might be interesting if you're into face card farming. She even has a triple buster deck to keep your other damage dealers full hp while you smack people with red cards.

Aside from that I'd just go for whichever servant you think looks the nicest.

(The true 4Head solution is to realize that FGO is a game about grinding. So if you've grinded enough that you have excess resources it's time to bust out your wallet and roll for SSRs to eat up your resources. So you can grind more, you see.)

Having more tanks than Mash/Leonidas/Georgios sounds interesting. From those you mention Lip sounds like a match made in heaven for Penthesilea, 6 buster cards, Penth buffs Lip's cards with her charisma and buster buff. Sounds like fun! Yeah, I think I'm going to level Lip then. She's cute too, so win-win.

Tfw you're a broke college student that can't even afford FEH pass

4 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Despite all the memes about him being bad, Fionn is actually quite good as a NP looper. He has a NP gain skill and his Arts buff works quite well with looping. He also gets a NP charge in January next year. That NP charge skill also have Taunt and Evade so it can work to avoid ST NPs. However it does have to at Skill level 10 to be a 100% evade.

Sumanai also has a bad reputation, but his buffs made him actually really good. With a Buster buff and NP gain buff on his NP he will hit hard and often NP. He also deals insane damage to Dragons even being better than class advantage in some cases. He’s the best dragon slayer in the game and beats Mordred at her own niche.

Emiya is arguably the best SR Archer other than Chloe. His Hawkeye skill gives a 100% Crit buff so his crits hits really hard. He also has a universal card buff so no matter the card color he will always deal good damage.

Thanks! Sumanai sounds interesting but I kinda can't bring myself to level him when he's only NP1 and Mordred is NP2, not to mention I'd rather bring Shiki to deal with the usual Rider dragons if only because I always look for excuses to bring her to the fray. 

Fionn is a no only because I don't like his smug face. Petty, I know. 

Emiya...hmm. I think I should level him, he's a bonus servant in events extremely often, I got him at NP3 from spooks and Hawkeye is a really cool skill despite me not liking his mismatched deck. Yeah, I'll probably level him up after Lip. 

5 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Having more tanks than Mash/Leonidas/Georgios sounds interesting. From those you mention Lip sounds like a match made in heaven for Penthesilea, 6 buster cards, Penth buffs Lip's cards with her charisma and buster buff. Sounds like fun! Yeah, I think I'm going to level Lip then. She's cute too, so win-win.

Tfw you're a broke college student that can't even afford FEH pass

Thanks! Sumanai sounds interesting but I kinda can't bring myself to level him when he's only NP1 and Mordred is NP2, not to mention I'd rather bring Shiki to deal with the usual Rider dragons if only because I always look for excuses to bring her to the fray. 

Fionn is a no only because I don't like his smug face. Petty, I know. 

Emiya...hmm. I think I should level him, he's a bonus servant in events extremely often, I got him at NP3 from spooks and Hawkeye is a really cool skill despite me not liking his mismatched deck. Yeah, I'll probably level him up after Lip. 

About Sumanai, even with Mordred at NP2 and Sumanai at NP1, Siegfried will hit harder because Siegfried has a skill that gives bonus damage against Dragons and the NP deals bonus damage to dragons so both of them together means HUGE damage against dragons. The reason I compared Siegfried and Mordred is that while their niches seem different at first, since Siegfried deals bonus damage to Dragons while Modred deals bonus damage to Arthur enemies, they are actually the same since all Arthur Servants are also Dragons so Siegfried is often the best Servant to kill all forms of Artoria. 

Of course it’s ultimately your own choice, if you prefer Mordred then use her. This is a primarily a waifu/husbando collecting game and gameplay is second. 

One thing that was on my mind was does every servant deserves a np interlude at some point?  I can think of the following to get an boost in power in the future.

Spoiler

Rama, Arthur, Nobu, Nezha, Ereshkigal, lancer Artoria, lancer Tamamo, Georgios, caster Gilles, Avicebron, caster Liz, Kato, Consort Yu, assassin Nitocris, Izo, Cursed Arm Hassan, assassin Scathach, assassin Li, Chacha, Paul Bunyan, Kiyohime, zerker Lancelot, Angra Mainyu, Kiara, Irisviel, Miyu, saber Gilles, Benkei, Caligula, Mata Hari, Gawain, Yan Qing, avenger Nobu, and Suzuka

But for the likes that already have sky high damage (Jalter, Musashi, MHXA) should they get a buff to have damage in the 6 digits easier?

16 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

One thing that was on my mind was does every servant deserves a np interlude at some point?  I can think of the following to get an boost in power in the future.

Reveal hidden contents

Rama, Arthur, Nobu, Nezha, Ereshkigal, lancer Artoria, lancer Tamamo, Georgios, caster Gilles, Avicebron, caster Liz, Kato, Consort Yu, assassin Nitocris, Izo, Cursed Arm Hassan, assassin Scathach, assassin Li, Chacha, Paul Bunyan, Kiyohime, zerker Lancelot, Angra Mainyu, Kiara, Irisviel, Miyu, saber Gilles, Benkei, Caligula, Mata Hari, Gawain, Yan Qing, avenger Nobu, and Suzuka

But for the likes that already have sky high damage (Jalter, Musashi, MHXA) should they get a buff to have damage in the 6 digits easier?

It’s worth noting that it’s extremely unlike for Summer Servants to get NP interludes, though some Summer Servants did get Rank ups. Welfare it’s kinda weird, I think Shiki got one but she’s sort of a special case.

Main issue with every Servant getting interludes is that certain Servants have issues even after having an NP interlude. 3* Medea and Beserker Vlad are the most obvious issues, since their post interlude numbers are either AoE level or pre-interlude level, but a lot of the earlier servants with Interludes are only barely staying ahead of non-Interlude competition that came later in terms of how good they are. Jack is also sort of here, since her Interlude is weaker than normal, but having half an Interlude still makes her better than people without Interludes, so as long as not everyone has an Interlude she's in a fine spot, but if everyone ended up with an Interlude her NP damage would suffer a bit in comparison. That said, Jack's kit and bases are pretty great, so she'll still be a good pick even in an everyone with Interlude situation.

Some servants also naturally have great numbers so an Interlude would push them even further into abnormal territory. Beserker Fran is one example, although the rest of her kit and bases means even an abnormally powered NP with an Interlude doesn't make her anything special. The one I'm thinking about is Artoria Alter, who has better than Interlude numbers even at base. (Buster AoE NP has 400% after Interlude at NP1, Alter has 450%.)

And it's a bit dangerous to just hand out Interludes to Beserkers in general. If every Beserker had an Interlude (which is relatively rare for the class), it's going to be pretty hard to find reasons to run anything else. Yeah, Foreigners are an issue, but you still run into them a lot less than, for example, running into Lancers with Archer servants.

Like, if everyone had to fight against Kintoki who has 50% battery, 50% Atk Up, and a ST NP with an Interlude on top of that it's going to be a bit hard on even 5*s. Or imagine bothering to get other farming Servants once you picked up Arjuna Alter with an Interlude.

I think before interludes for everyone they need to get better animations!

And I don`t think EVERYONE needs them, many can use some tweaks and polishing on their kits, specially the super old low rarity ppl like Sansom, Phantom, Geronimo. I few a couple could use some dmg interludes - like Medea... I don`t get why she does so little >>

Just otssing more NP dmg all around won`t solve everything, at least I believe

I started playing in January, here's my current roster, more or less.
ZgvHqpl.png
I got really lucky the last week or so and went from 3 to 5 5* servants after picking up Holmes and Anastasia.

42 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I started playing in January, here's my current roster, more or less.
ZgvHqpl.png
I got really lucky the last week or so and went from 3 to 5 5* servants after picking up Holmes and Anastasia.

That’s pretty good rooster. However I would not use those Rider Embers for now. You see the next event GudaGuda 3 is mission based event, like Shiki’s event was. And one of the missions is getting the welfare to the third Ascension, and the welfare is a Rider, so those Embers you have will save you a lot of time.

32 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

That’s pretty good rooster. However I would not use those Rider Embers for now. You see the next event GudaGuda 3 is mission based event, like Shiki’s event was. And one of the missions is getting the welfare to the third Ascension, and the welfare is a Rider, so those Embers you have will save you a lot of time.

Yep, Glac gave me the heads up, so I've been saving them, specifically.

And sadly, I was never able to get the last mat for Ryougi's ascension, so she's stuck at level 70 forever.

Edited by Rezzy

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Yep, Glac gave me the heads up, so I've been saving them, specifically.

And sadly, I was never able to get the last mat for Ryougi's ascension, so she's stuck at level 70 forever.

If it helps her performance won’t be to hindered by the lack of last ascension very much. Just treat her as a 3* and she should be fine. She has at least all of her 3 skills.

Speaking of giving heads up, did you know about the bonus bond points in the Part 1.5 chapters?

Parvati is a perfect example why "everyone get interlude" can be a damning move too

Shes the most powerful AOE Lancer in the entrie game atm in terms of damage output on NP. Despite having lower ATK at L100 than Lancer Alter at L80

Have fun trying to sell something with that around

an overarching interlude would also force them to do full game overhaul and it would simply reset things to square one

YOLO Ticket rolled again, and got another Shinjuku Assassin, hopefully, he can fill my assassin needs for me.