Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

Good thing I decided to look forward to the Christmas Lotto instead of going all in for Gilfest. Christmas Lotto has Bones, Dragon Fangs, Horseshoes, and Octuplet Crystals, which I desperately need. So, my 94 Golden Apples that remain (out of the original ~210 or so) are safe.
-- 171 Lotto Boxes for Gilfest helped out a lot for leveling up my Servants as well as giving me substantial QP. Now I'm just back in material hell so I can continue leveling up everyone with ascensions and skills...

In the meantime, I'm getting back into doing the story mode as I think the upcoming Halloween event requires LB2 to be cleared. While I could skip the Epic of Remnant, I want to do everything in order, so there's a lot of story I need to get through before Haloween!
-- Currently on the Megalos (Super Herc) fight in Agartha. At least some of the fights are interesting for the chapter.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm down to about 10 Gold Fruits, but I might just keep grinding for now.  I def need Bones and Fangs, but I don't know if I'll actually have time to grind around Christmas much.  It seems like I always have less free time around then.

13 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I'm down to about 10 Gold Fruits, but I might just keep grinding for now.  I def need Bones and Fangs, but I don't know if I'll actually have time to grind around Christmas much.  It seems like I always have less free time around then.

I wouldn’t worry about apples, from this event to Christmas 4 we’re gonna get about 81 Golden Apples(counting 2 silvers as one golden and doing a similar thing to bronze).

Plus Christmas Lottos are different in that the best node for lotto farming only unlocks on the last days of the event. It’s really only about few days of lotto farming. 

The final CQ felt a bit under-tuned. Took two attempts because I played the 1st attempt amazingly stupid* + didn't use optimal damage dealers, but it was pretty easy once I swapped to Achilles + Caster Nero in the back rather than Eresh + Medusa Lily in the back.

* Took me like 6 turns before I went, 'hey, maybe I should kill the 100k hp beserker that prevents damage buffs---and I also killed 2 or 3 other people after that before finally killing bride. 3x Guts is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as damaging NPs not doing anything (this would be less annoying if I ran a double damage dealer comp, though, since 10 face cards in 3 turns is a lot more comfortable than 5 face cards in 3 turns---single damage dealer comps only get away with only 5 cards in 3 turns because you have NP cards).

I do like how the buffs gives you a choice of going the face card route by leaving Bride alive or the NP spam route by killing her quickly, though.

It was also slightly disappointing that Archer Gilgamesh didn't show up---expecting to face Archer Gil is basically why both my damage dealers were Lancers my first time around.

The last CQ was a joke compared to all the other hellish stuff (looking at you Taiga and MHXA). It took 2 tries because 1st try I tried to zerg it with Skadi and ended up running out of steam with the Sure Hit and Triple guts on the foes. 

2nd try I went with good ol' reliable BB/Jeanne/Merlin/IDK carriers and it wasn't even close. Bride's NP dmg nerf meant nothing when I used BB's NP for the buff resist down and NP charge for the other two, after all she has enough killing power with the dmg CE, Self Modification and Merlin's Hero creation so killing those guys one by one was a non issue. It took exactly 30 turns, not bad for a stall team.

Finished Agartha a few days ago. Yeah, it was something all right, even with it going through the localization filter.
-- When the storyline was finished, I think I could see what the author was going for. When dealing with such themes, such depictions in Agartha are to be expected, but I feel like it could have been executed in a more refined fashion instead of the vulgarities we ended up with.
-- Seeing "what could have been" has made Agartha slightly more bearable in hindsight, but I'm more than happy to be done with it.

Now I'm in Shimosa. Loving the aesthetics and the overall themes, but the story drags on for the first three chapters or so. While I did enjoy a few of the hype moments, there was a little too much redundant text for me.
-- Currently on Chapter 5 and things seem to be picking up, which is good.
-- I was hyped for the story arc, but it left a poor first impression.
Finished the final CQ using a Cu Alter support with taunt tanks and Herc Insurance. Leaving Nero alive and using the taunts with a combination of Guts and Invul work wonders.
-- Again, I'm glad I grailed my George. George and Leonidas are miracle workers when it comes to these things, as well as OG Mash.

Now I just have to figure out how to outlast MHXA's CQ, and I'll be done with Gilfest proper.

Edited by Sire

Completed the final CQ twice, first was Amakusa/Merlin/Jeanne and it went well and then I tried to do a semi Herc solo. It’s was pretty Herc, a bunch of taunters, Avicebron with taunt as well and Abigail as the last one. It went pretty well, though at the end I was down to only Abby but she won in the end.

34 minutes ago, Sire said:

Finished Agartha a few days ago. Yeah, it was something all right, even with it going through the localization filter.
-- When the storyline was finished, I think I could see what the author was going for. When dealing with such themes, such depictions in Agartha are to be expected, but I feel like it could have been executed in a more refined fashion instead of the vulgarities we ended up with.
-- Seeing "what could have been" has made Agartha slightly more bearable in hindsight, but I'm more than happy to be done with it.

Now I'm in Shimosa. Loving the aesthetics and the overall themes, but the story drags on for the first three chapters or so. While I did enjoy a few of the hype moments, there was a little too much redundant text for me.
-- Currently on Chapter 5 and things seem to be picking up, which is good.
-- I was hyped for the story arc, but it left a poor first impression.
Finished the final CQ using a Cu Alter support with taunt tanks and Herc Insurance. Leaving Nero alive and using the taunts with a combination of Guts and Invul work wonders.
-- Again, I'm glad I grailed my George. George and Leonidas are miracle workers when it comes to these things, as well as OG Mash.

Now I just have to figure out how to outlast MHXA's CQ, and I'll be done with Gilfest proper.

Question, what’s your opinion on Fergus’ motivational speech to Schez? It’s widely considered the worst thing from Agartha. And yeah while Shimosa has awesome scenarios it is pretty wordy. Lots of battles being “explain”. Salem is also pretty wordy but in a good way, as in its not redundant.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Question, what’s your opinion on Fergus’ motivational speech to Schez? It’s widely considered the worst thing from Agartha. And yeah while Shimosa has awesome scenarios it is pretty wordy. Lots of battles being “explain”. Salem is also pretty wordy but in a good way, as in its not redundant.

It was terrible. [SPOILERS AHEAD]

Spoiler

All right, I understand that Young Fergus and "Normal Fergus" are supposed to be merged at this point. However, having "Normal Fergus" speak out of Young Fergus' body was off-putting, especially after all the reflection and thinking the young version did.

I get that it's supposed to be a "Shining Fergus Moment" and it does tie in to the growth of Young Fergus, but it brings back the vulgarity of the of the entire singularity to the one character who was somewhat exempt from that.

So in short, I disliked it. Give Young Fergus the spiral sword and maybe some wisdom, but keep it as Young Fergus instead of inserting the normal Fergus in there.

As an aside, I managed to clear the MHXA CQ, going again with Cu Alter. I decided to wait it out and mostly focus down the snacks with beneficial effects. I did get impatient and triggered it early on Turn 7 instead of waiting it out completely, but still managed to pull it off. Cu Alter was MVP due to his high damage and survivability, and Herc 

Team Comp: Support Cu Alter, Irisviel, Waver // Georgios [Bond, 90], OG Mash, Herc [Bond, 100]

Taking it slow may be better as killing each "snack" does reduce the wait time by 1 turn, which means one less turn of having to deal with super MHXA. This has to be done before she transforms, as when she does so, the snacks are only for buffs and debuffs.

Now I am officially done with Gilfest. Back to story stuff so I can be prepared for the Halloween event after the revival.

It's too bad Penthesilea exists, because otherwise I might use mecha liz more. : /

Part of it is because I'm too lazy to swap mecha liz in and out depending on whether the map has Knights or not, though, so I just stick with the lazy option of Lancer Liz, Pent, and a support caster for everything, at least for now. (Also helps that there simply isn't a lot of sabers for whatever reason.)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished 100 missions for the Halloween event. The CQ was easy with a support Tamamo Lancer (Scathach, Waver, Tamamo Lancer Support), and managed to beat it in 9 turns with some RNG manipulation.
-- Essentially, I burned down the first bar with normal attacks and crits, with NPs dealing with the 2nd and 3rd bars.
-- I had a Herc in the backline for insurance, but since I reset the turn if one of my Lancers died, I didn't need him.
-- I managed to invincible the Archer's NP after delaying him with Waver and other CC effects.

However, I didn't clear out the shop. Probably not going to do so since I need to blast through story mode so I can finish LB2 before the next event.
- Man, I need a time machine so I can get everything done. Time Manipulation superpowers when?

Nobukatsu

G6DJnd7.png

It only took like, 3 and a half years?  

But like, everything about him is just total memery and it's beautiful.  His kit, his ascension designs, him being a 1* instead of a standard welfare, his animations summoning mini Nobus and the actual Nobu.  

But yeah, grailed him immediately.  I've waited for this!

2 hours ago, Magical Glace said:

Nobukatsu

G6DJnd7.png

It only took like, 3 and a half years?  

But like, everything about him is just total memery and it's beautiful.  His kit, his ascension designs, him being a 1* instead of a standard welfare, his animations summoning mini Nobus and the actual Nobu.  

But yeah, grailed him immediately.  I've waited for this!

It’s kind of interesting how he’s essentially a buff for Maou Nobu. I mean she still sucks due to the fact that she needs another Servant to work well, but still it’s sort of a buff.

I wonder if they'll add an easy way to get Nobu.  I missed the Guda 1 rerun, so I don't have her sadly, and shelling out the loads of rare prisms is a bit steep.

13 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s kind of interesting how he’s essentially a buff for Maou Nobu. I mean she still sucks due to the fact that she needs another Servant to work well, but still it’s sort of a buff.

Regular and Swimsuit Nobus too.  His ability to buff his sister is absurd.  And well, at least he's pretty easy to get, it really didn't take me much FP rolling at all to get him NP5'd.  

I really hope we get the Guda 1 Main Interlude soon.  I don't have any Nobus on JP and I'd be willing to dump 8 RP to NP5 her since I actually quite like her + she works well with Nobukatsu.

Nobukatsu feels like the idea behind Chloe's "buff" done right, thinking about it.  He's tailored to Nobu specifically, but the rest of his kit is supportive and he can function at least okay when supporting some other unit.  

Regarding Avenger Nobu, I think she's in an alright spot even without Nobukatsu, it's just that her particular niche is relatively rare. Face carding randos to death is pretty much only relevant in events where you have enemy encounter bonuses where you get waves like 5 or 6 waves of mooks to chew through. Or if you're farming bond points with a janky ass team, I guess.

The comparison with Avenger Ishtar is also a bit worse now that Caster Artoria exists, meaning Ishtar finally gets to leverage her good refund when you keep her NP as Arts for farming purposes, making it more of a loss to use Avenger Nobu for general farming. (Before Caster Artoria most of the difference in farming comes from Ishtar's better battery vs. Nobu's better face cards, but face cards don't matter nearly as much when you can just Arts loop.)

The real issue is that Buster has the weakest farming support, now, since Merlin has a mediocre battery and Buster NPs don't refund by default, but I don't see how you can fix that issue without giving a servant so much Buster Up buffing ability that you can consistently face card a wave down in a single turn (effectively saving 100 NP gauge from not needing an NP to clear a wave). And at that point they'd probably break CQs in half, especially considering the fact Merlin is already really good for CQs.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

I wonder if they'll add an easy way to get Nobu.  I missed the Guda 1 rerun, so I don't have her sadly, and shelling out the loads of rare prisms is a bit steep.

We'll have more rare prism income soon from welfare giving prisms if you already have a NP5 copy and same for unlocking costumes you already have, so the cost should be easier to swallow. That said, is Nobu even unlockable via rare prisms?

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

The real issue is that Buster has the weakest farming support, now, since Merlin has a mediocre battery and Buster NPs don't refund by default, but I don't see how you can fix that issue without giving a servant so much Buster Up buffing ability that you can consistently face card a wave down in a single turn (effectively saving 100 NP gauge from not needing an NP to clear a wave). And at that point they'd probably break CQs in half, especially considering the fact Merlin is already really good for CQs.

I'm honestly okay with Busters not being great farmers.  It helps to differentiate the different attack types if some are better than others for certain types of play.  I actually think it's kinda crazy that Quick was better than Arts for NP looping for 2 years.  Seems like it would have been better to focus more on the crit aspect of Quick Cards, since NPs are kinda Arts's thing.

22 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

We'll have more rare prism income soon from welfare giving prisms if you already have a NP5 copy and same for unlocking costumes you already have, so the cost should be easier to swallow. That said, is Nobu even unlockable via rare prisms?

The only welfare characters unlockable with RP so far are archer Altera, BB, and Bunyan.  

25 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

events where you have enemy encounter bonuses where you get waves like 5 or 6 waves of mooks to chew through.

Also this basically doesn't exist anymore.  Starting with Case Files collab, the mechanics around spawn bonuses change to only affect one enemy per node, a "rare" enemy.  The wave the Rare enemy appears in will only have 2 enemies if it doesn't appear.  

Finally finished Shimousa. Overall, it was pretty great and I enjoyed it immensely!
-- My one major complaint is that it takes a while to get going, and the slow start did not help my initial impressions (especially after finishing Agartha). However, once the story started moving, it became much more enjoyable.
-- I also believe it may be the first story to reference the Lost Belt arc which would happen down the line, or at least that's why I got during the ending scenes.

Now, onto Salem. Apparently it just have 10 chapters so I expect to finish it relatively quickly, and then I can get to the Lost Belts themselves. I may end up rewatching the prologue events in the archives to refresh my memories.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

I'm honestly okay with Busters not being great farmers.  It helps to differentiate the different attack types if some are better than others for certain types of play.  I actually think it's kinda crazy that Quick was better than Arts for NP looping for 2 years.  Seems like it would have been better to focus more on the crit aspect of Quick Cards, since NPs are kinda Arts's thing.

The problem with Quick Crits is that a Buster normal does about the same damage (Buster starts at 150%, Quick at 80%, and a Buster lead adds 50%---this 50% also applies to Quick cards, but obviously you can't have a Buster lead for a 1st card Quick), so if a Quick servant isn't spamming NPs the Quick servant is probably costing you damage. Skadi somewhat gets away with it with a 100% Crit Up on her card type buff, but even so Buster Crits would still significantly out damage Quick Crits in exchange for being more difficult to set up---Although not always, some Quick Servants have awful hit-counts on their Quicks so that their stargen isn't much different from a Buster servant, Scathach's 2 hit Quick and 6 hit Buster comes to mind, but even a more recent servant like Rider Ishtar is also 2 hit Quick and 5 hit Buster.

There's also a minor thing where Quick NPs do slightly more damage than any other NP type due to how the damage calculation works---A ST Buster is 600%, with the 1.5x buster bonus that's 900%, Arts is 1x of 900%, so exactly the same, but Quick is 1200% * .8, which comes out to 960%, so about 7% extra damage for being Quick. (This ~7% bonus is constant with respect to NP levels, Interludes, and AoE vs. ST.)

So because of how the mechanics of the game work Quick face cards are atrocious at dealing damage while Quick NPs are the best by default, which ought to mean Quick face cards should be used to generate crit stars and NP... yet there's a awful lot of Quick servants with awful hit-counts on their face cards for some bloody reason. (And Skadi's existence probably means this will continue to be the case, a Quick servant is probably never going to get a 6 hit Quick like Drake or Helena.)

Mind, I'm not complaining or anything, but it does weird like a weird design decision. It seems like it'd make more sense if Arts had the 80% base multiplier (which would also mean their NPs do ~7% more compared to the other two cards types---tying in with their NP spamming), while Quick has 100% for better face cards to tie in with their crits.

10 hours ago, Sire said:

Finally finished Shimousa. Overall, it was pretty great and I enjoyed it immensely!
-- My one major complaint is that it takes a while to get going, and the slow start did not help my initial impressions (especially after finishing Agartha). However, once the story started moving, it became much more enjoyable.
-- I also believe it may be the first story to reference the Lost Belt arc which would happen down the line, or at least that's why I got during the ending scenes.

Now, onto Salem. Apparently it just have 10 chapters so I expect to finish it relatively quickly, and then I can get to the Lost Belts themselves. I may end up rewatching the prologue events in the archives to refresh my memories.

Salem it’s not as short as it seems, because it’s extremely wordy. Not necessarily a bad thing, it’s my favorite EoR chapter actually. It’s characters interactions are great and it’s one of the rare Singularities/Lostbelts where all main Servants that appear contribute. They aren’t just “there”.

Finished Salem. It's definitely one of the better stories, but I'm debating if I liked it better than Shinjuku. I guess if I had to compare them, Salem was great overall, but Shinjuku had better hype moments. In other words, Salem is mostly consistent while Shinjuku has its highs and lows (and Shinjuku's highs are better).
-- I was expecting a bit more of the horror aspect for Salem for some reason, but all that was remotely scary were the hanging sequences and the shrouded reveal of the big bad. Oh, and maybe the sound effects of one of the monsters.
-- I loved the Servant interactions, each and every Servant present had screen time as well as their own "personal moments." Definitely a highlight of this story arc.
-- My only gripe is that I was so invested in the ongoing story that I disliked some of the character options Gudao is presented with, saying "I wouldn't do that!" Granted, I was more in "self-insert" mode instead of treating Gudao as a character this chapter, but I was that much invested in it.
-- Also, Salem's battle music is hype. I loved it.

Overall, I would probably rank the Epic of Remnant chapters like...
Shinjuku = Salem > Shimousa >>> Agartha

Whew, EoR is now done, and now its onto the Lost Belts proper! I'm gonna go through the Prologue again in the archives to set the scene, and then its to LB 1. Now we get back to "20 Sections" worth of story instead of like "10-16."

Edited by Sire

Shoutouts to @Rezzy for being THE ONLY PERSON ON MY FRIENDS LIST WHO HAD AN MLB OF THE EVENT *4 CE. I mean, sheesh. I know Osakabehime isn’t exactly desirable gameplay wise and it doesn’t help that she’s in the permanent pool anyways, but I’d think finding mlb’d gacha CEs wouldn’t be quite as miserable. Trying to farm the two higher currencies has been nothing short of a bottleneck for me and I essentially gave up on the cookies. I’m all but ready for Oniland.

1 hour ago, Silverly said:

Shoutouts to @Rezzy for being THE ONLY PERSON ON MY FRIENDS LIST WHO HAD AN MLB OF THE EVENT *4 CE. I mean, sheesh. I know Osakabehime isn’t exactly desirable gameplay wise and it doesn’t help that she’s in the permanent pool anyways, but I’d think finding mlb’d gacha CEs wouldn’t be quite as miserable. Trying to farm the two higher currencies has been nothing short of a bottleneck for me and I essentially gave up on the cookies. I’m all but ready for Oniland.

Honestly, I gave up on farming this event as soon as I was done with the missions.  Spawn bonus in the old style makes farming really tedious.  Combined with the lack of support CE's I just decided it would be better to rush the rest of the plot and farm hands.

I didn't need much from the silver shop anyway so it was pretty easy for to me farm the bronze & gold. (The gold node takes like 8 turns on average for me, but eh.)

Honestly I'm fine with the spawn bonus where you have to face card grind things down as long as the drop rates are good. If you end up only getting as much per run as a regular event then it's just stupid, but if it's like a 50% increase then I don't really mind taking twice as long for a single map. I guess it helps that I'm used to loading up to the gills with drop bonuses (skipping non-event Servants and CEs) and taking ages even for regular events, though.