Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, The Geek!
- - - - - - - - - -
I sent a few friend requests to those who have their IDs in this topic. Carrymeplz

For reference, here is my Friend Code / ID: 815 519 689 (Username: Sire).

So, I finally finished up Orleans, with the "penultimate boss" giving me some trouble. I managed to get the boss down to just 200 HP before it wiped my party, so I had to do my first ever mass-revive with the Command Spells. I had some close calls before, so I have a feeling I really need to start optimizing my party.

I swapped out Mash for Georgios because of his tanking ability and man he does a good job (until he faces Assassins, this is how I learned how effective the "Weapon Triangle" actually is in FGO.) I am a little disappointed in his Noble Phantasm since Tamamo Cat can basically do that amount of damage with ~2 Buster Cards, but then again he is a tank. Tamamo Cat remains my MVP, although I am starting to wish I had excellent single-target burst. The characters in the support slots are Cu Caster, Caesar, and Hassam. I mainly put them there to raise bond points, but I have invested some levels into them.

Anyways, since I am uncertain to do with my Quartz Crystals, I mostly been hoarding them. However,  I did try out a full Story Summon...

GMIPxgx.png

Medea and Medusa seem interesting, but I would like to focus on my core team before focusing on other characters. The rest I am mostly indifferent about. The 5-Star Crafting Essence is nice, but I do not have anyone trained to be spamming NPs yet.
- - - - - - - - - -
That aside, some questions.

1. Is it best to focus on a core team or spread out EXP? I've been focusing on a core team that is mostly one character per class.

2. Should I bother trying with the Halloween Event? My team is mostly around level 25 and I don't know if doing the Event will be worthwhile. Those Golden Apples look useful though...

3. How long is the main story in the global release of FGO? I heard that it is behind the JP release.

Thanks for the help so far!

@Sire You wanted DPS, and Euryale and Medea answered the call. I recommend building them up, the former for hard content down the line and the latter for her NP spam. Medusa is ok for farming Quartz doors.

1. Build a core team with one servant of each class. Once you have a servant in that class built up, spread out so you can unlock interludes for more quartz.

2. Go for the Apples. They’ll help you get ready for the next event. Caster Liz is alright for grinding hands but Nobu in the next event is so much better.

3. NA is two years behind JP. Next is London but we still need Camelot, America, Babylonia, Solomon, Shinjuku, Agartha, and finally Epic of Remnant. I might be missing one or two though.

Why didn’t you add me ;_;

To expand on an answer to your first question:

Get a single team to a good level (I'd recommend around 40) then start grinding EXP and create single class teams (these make chapters that are single enemy types much easier since you can just pick your team that is all the class that beats them).  I'd say having 2-3 Servants of each class and then pick a Support Servant of the same class is good.  Remember when making your teams to ensure that there is good synchronization of each Servant's card decks.

18 minutes ago, Sire said:

I sent a few friend requests to those who have their IDs in this topic. Carrymeplz

LIES! Send you one if you need the Heracles carry.

1. Is it best to focus on a core team or spread out EXP? I've been focusing on a core team that is mostly one character per class.

One character per class is recommended. The diversity helps a lot due to the Class multiplier system.
... But if you want one advice; don't level up Gilles. Just ... don't.

2. Should I bother trying with the Halloween Event? My team is mostly around level 25 and I don't know if doing the Event will be worthwhile. Those Golden Apples look useful though...

Yes, you should. Apples aside you get a 'wellfare' 4* Servant which is equivalent to a TT reward. You should be able to get her ascension materials and NP5 plus anything you have left over can be used for more ascension materials. If you only want 1 specific thing I would recommend farming for Halloween Princesw which is arguably one of the best CEs at the moment. It's not that hard to to do the main quest and some of the Hero fest at your Level.
There is literally no reason not to do an event. The story won't run away while events are only happening once in a year (with reruns of course).

Edited by Talandar

4 minutes ago, Talandar said:

Apples aside you get a 'wellfare' 4* Servant which is equivalent to a TT reward. You should be able to get her ascension materials and NP5.
There is literally no reason not to do an event. The story won't run away while events are only happening once in a year (with reruns of course).

The issue is less that the event isn’t worth doing (it definitely is) but rather if he’ll be able to grind all the mats quickly enough for NP5 4th ascend Liz before it ends. Is 30-40 AP even possible for his team? 30 AP I can see, but he needs Trick Bats and for the Maid CE you’ll have to do 40 AP several times unless you luck out on a Guerilla quest.

Edited by MrSmokestack

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

Is 30-40 AP even possible for his team?

I would argue it's possible. Though for his team 30 AP may be even tougher than 40 because of Vlad + Evil Wyverns. 40 AP is not that difficult in comparision.
If everything fails getting in a high-level Heracles/Kintoki in Support + Tank trio for the super carry is an option.

Also, Guerilla and Party quests definetly contribute to Bats and Pumpkins gain. Considering they stack and won't be lost until the end of the event he can get some resources. The 20 AP ones are really easy. Getting at least max. Liz is still reasonable.

Core Team (One Servant Per Class)

Right, so I was on the correct track. Currently I am focusing on...

1. Berserker - Tamamo Cat (MVP)
2. Rider - Georgios (Current Tank)
3. Caster - Cu Chulainn (I like him, but perhaps I should focus on Medea due to her NP Single-Target spam. Although if I get Medea, I should find someone who should synergize with her...)

? Saber - Caesar (Doing the long term deal since he is supposedly a good support unit.)
? Assassin - Hassan of the Cursed Arm (Doing the long-term investment with him. I have Mati Hari on stand-by for the interlude.)

?? Lancer - Leonidas I? (I did not start raising him yet.)
?? Archer - ??? (I have no idea who to raise as an Archer. Apparently I should focus on Euryale?)

At the moment I have benched Mash. I rather use the "General EXP" on my main guys first and get through the story before refocusing on raising her.

In terms of branching out and leveling more units, I do not think I'm at that stage yet. Once I start hitting the "soft-caps" of level progression I'll start using other characters. I imagine having dedicated counter teams to be really useful.

Halloween Event

When I asked about if the event was worth doing, it was more a question of "Is my team good enough for the event to be worth my time?" I know events tend to give out good stuff, but if we were to take the Fire Emblem Heroes analogy, I would be playing Tempest Trials on Normal or lower tier Hard instead of getting maximum gains doing Lunatic.

At the moment, I am Level 25 and only naturally have 50 Stamina. I'm also just on the "Dancer's Castle Gate" of its mini-storyline. Essentially, I do not know if I could get the "good stuff" with the amount of time left on the event. Should I focus on the story and raising my guys, try to nab as much stuff as possible from the event, or just grab a few things and not worry too much?

Here is my main team for reference.

Spoiler

clmAXl8.png

Current Content & Friend Requests

I see. So I still have Septem (my current arc) and Okeanos to go through before I am done with the story content the global release has. Then I can go back and do all of those "Free Quests" to claim the Quartz and stuff. It sucks global is two years behind the JP release, but hopefully we'll catch up and just be a month or two behind, right?...

As for the friend requests, sorry if I missed you! I read through the whole topic once out of curiosity, then I decided to try the game. Then the Friend Codes came around, I did a quick search function to find them. Friend Codes for FGO are rather buried in this thread, so it is easy to miss them... (I sent requests!)

Again, thanks for all the help and tips! It is greatly appreciated!

21 minutes ago, Sire said:

(snip)

If you ever pull Martha, you can pull some serious shenanigans with her and Tamamo Cat.  But alas, she's a 4*, so. . .

Caster: Current event servant's not bad - it's basically her lancer self as a caster.  Medea's great because she dispels buffs, but I find that I don't spam her NP that often (due to NP stacking).
Archer: Robin Hood for a really good debuffing skill.  David is probably better due to Charisma (which is one of my favorite skills), but it takes a VERY long time before he gets it, and you'll need to get through Okeanos (as he's the freebie).  Eurayle also works.
Lancer: If you ever pull Cu Chulainn, use him!  You'll want the original, not the prototype.  Gae Bolg has an unfortunate typing, but you're using Cu to survive everything.

Halloween:

Grab a good support hero (as in, level 80+) that isn't at a disadvantage, and you should be able to go fairly far.  If you wait three days, you'll replenish your command spells.  Use this on one of the later battles (hint: Berserker spam).  You'll want to go as far as you can, because the extra quests give Golden Fruits, which fully restore your stamina.  Shove some (a lot) of levels into Hassan, so he's not dead weight.

You'll want to nab as much as possible from the event.  There's a TON of grinding involved, but your stamina fills in about three hours, tops.

Good luck~!

29 minutes ago, Sire said:

Core Team (One Servant Per Class)

Right, so I was on the correct track. Currently I am focusing on...

1. Berserker - Tamamo Cat (MVP)
2. Rider - Georgios (Current Tank)
3. Caster - Cu Chulainn (I like him, but perhaps I should focus on Medea due to her NP Single-Target spam. Although if I get Medea, I should find someone who should synergize with her...)

? Saber - Caesar (Doing the long term deal since he is supposedly a good support unit.)
? Assassin - Hassan of the Cursed Arm (Doing the long-term investment with him. I have Mati Hari on stand-by for the interlude.)

?? Lancer - Leonidas I? (I did not start raising him yet.)
?? Archer - ??? (I have no idea who to raise as an Archer. Apparently I should focus on Euryale?)

Hmm... right now your front team is a little unfocused.  You have TamaCat who is very Buster-focused while Georgios is focused on Quick and Arts and Caster Cu (naturally, as a Caster) is Arts-focused.  This means that you'll have trouble forming Chains in your attacks and Chains are incredibly useful (Arts Chain automatically adds 20% to the NP gauge of every participant, Quick Chain gives 10 Critical Stars that help you to land Critical Hits, and Buster Chain gives a raw damage increase to all attacks).

For recommended changes, keeping Tamamo Cat is fine, though as a Berserker she can very easily be killed off during boss battles.  Personally I'd swap out Georgios for a different Rider as his NP isn't that great.  Ushiwakamaru is a strong Quick-focused Rider and one of the few low-rarity Riders with a strong single target Noble Phantasm.  Medusa is the same deal except her NP is AOE.  Alexander I haven't used all that much so I can't comment on him.  Boudica is a decent replacement for Mash if you're determined not to use her (since her NP and Mash's are essentially the same).  If you're just looking for someone to act as a tank, I believe Leonidas is generally considered to be the better option.  Caster Cu is decently strong and has his dodging skill that's good for keeping him alive so I see no problem with keeping him if you aren't worried about Chaining.

Could you tell me again what SR Servants you have (since I assume you'll have all or at least most Servants who are 3 star or lower.

And yeah, Eurayle is a good pick for an Archer.  She's especially good against male Sabers (who just so happen to start showing up at around the time that the game goes through a serious difficulty spike)

For Assassin you can't go wrong with the REGEND (Sasaki Kojirou) though Hassan is also very good.  

Most 1 and 2 star Servants aren't really considered worth using for the most part (the obvious exceptions being Sasaki Kojirou (decently strong NP and good for gaining Critical Stars), Arash (very strong AOE nuke NP if you're willing to sacrifice him for it), Spartacus (good for farming the daily missions), Hassan (same deal as Kojirou), Andersen (good at keeping the rest of your party alive), and Leonidas (good tank).

Halloween

Main quest wise, I'm now at the Tamamo Cat boss fight. Since she kicked my but (Georgios, Tamo Cat, and NPC Kiyohime aren't working that well) I been diverting some of my attention to pick up the Golden Fruits. I think I'll be able to build up a decent supply of them since I think I now know how these "Event Quests" work, but am still unsure what to purchase from the shop.

A part of me is thinking about picking up the event character, but I wonder if I'll be better off skipping the servant and going straight for the Crafting Essences. At least with the CE I can put them on anyone and they are supposedly pretty good.

@eclipse

Archer: I do not have Robin Hood and would like to start training an archer, so I guess I'll go with Eurayle.
Lancer: At the moment I have not invested in any lancers, and getting Cu Chulainn would be nice. For now though, I'll probably stock up on the EXP cards or train up Leonidas.

@The Geek

My team composition mostly revolves around duos (currently Georgios and Tamamo Cat) and whatever Support Option is available. I also use NPC Guests whenever possible, so I'm stuck with Kiyohime for the Halloween main quests and she is a bit lackluster (despite her Buster Card synergy with TamaCat). I have not put serious thought in whoever is in the sub-member slots.

My reasoning for Georgios and TamaCat is the "Tank + Berserker" combo. Georgios takes the hits while Tamacat deals the damage. My support varies, especially if doing story missions, but if I use people off of the Friend List I find myself using Jeanne for extra protection (+ her high level) or eclipse's Sakata Kintoki because he hits very hard. Using Georgios is my natural evolution since I was using Mash + TamaCat before.

As for servants... (No idea what SR means, so I'll just list them.)

fSyX92R.png

In terms of team composition, I think I remember reading somewhere I could move the support slot to a sub-member so I have three characters of my own that can synergize, but at the moment I am still reliant on supports.

I think it would be a good idea for you to hold back for now and just do some grinding until you can build up a bigger Servant roster (remember you can do a free 10 roll of the Friend Point Gacha once per day which can give you up to 3 star Servants and Craft Essences)

And there's no need to restrict yourself to using the story support Servants unless you want to since all you get out of it is more Friend Points which are easy to come across.

Also SR is a notation of rarity that parallels the star ratings.  SSR=5 star, SR=4 star, R=3 star, UC=2 star, C=1 star

17 hours ago, Sire said:

When I asked about if the event was worth doing, it was more a question of "Is my team good enough for the event to be worth my time?" I know events tend to give out good stuff, but if we were to take the Fire Emblem Heroes analogy, I would be playing Tempest Trials on Normal or lower tier Hard instead of getting maximum gains doing Lunatic.

5 hours ago, Sire said:

Main quest wise, I'm now at the Tamamo Cat boss fight. Since she kicked my but (Georgios, Tamo Cat, and NPC Kiyohime aren't working that well) I been diverting some of my attention to pick up the Golden Fruits. I think I'll be able to build up a decent supply of them since I think I now know how these "Event Quests" work, but am still unsure what to purchase from the shop.

There are Tempest Trial-esque events but not this one. This is more like an extra story chapter (kinda like paralogues).
I'm bit surprised you failed the Tamamo Cat fight. Was it her NP that wiped you out?

5 hours ago, Sire said:

A part of me is thinking about picking up the event character, but I wonder if I'll be better off skipping the servant and going straight for the Crafting Essences. At least with the CE I can put them on anyone and they are supposedly pretty good.

Well, a free 4* Servant is a free 4* Servant. You get her by completing the main story of the event which is the easiest part of the event and getting her to the max potential is easier than the average Servant since her ascension materials and NP Level can be bought from the shop.
The thing with the event CEs is that the only good one is a 5* called "Halloween Princess". 5* CEs will eat up a lot of capacity which can hinder you from fielding more Servants.
If you are only interested in getting everything of Caster Liz and Halloween Princess you need:
- 10 Pumpkins (1x Caster Liz)
- 530 Bats (4x Halloween Princess, 1x Caster Liz, 4x Twinkle Candy)
- 100 Candles (1x Caster Liz)
- 500 Cupcakes (1x Caster Liz)

The easiest part here are Pumpkins and Cupcakes. You get 1 Pumpkin each from Surprise Quests which are of varying difficulty (the first one is very manageable). 10 are dirt easy to get. Any additional Pumpkin can be used to exchange for Cupcakes (1 Pumpkin for 50 Cupcakes).
Bats are the most important currency because it gives you 4 copies of Halloween Princess + the ascension materials for Caster Liz. There are commonly dropped by Servants so if you do the Party Quests for gold apples you are working towards that.

I don't know if you noticed but Event CEs increase the amount of a specific event currency. Halloween Princess and Jack-O-Lantern give you more Candles for each drop. Maid in Halloween and Halloween Arrangement increase Bats. That's why a lot of people prefer to get Maid in Halloween in the shop first to increase the amount of bats. In my last run I got almost ~50 bats due to having 3 Servants + Support with Maid in Halloween (shoutout to @MrSmokestack's d'Eon).
But since you struggle so much I would just recommend to search for a high-level Support Servant that has the CE "Maid in Halloween" during Party Quests.

Edited by Talandar

So about the twinkle candies, do they stay in your inventory or will they disappear along with the other candies?

Edited by Emeraldfox

1 hour ago, Emeraldfox said:

So about the twinkle candies, do they stay in your inventory or will they disappear along with the other candies?

They should stay, since the event guide only mentions the other exchange items (Bats, Pumkin, Cupcake, Candle) disappearing after the exchange period ends.

Besides, it would be dumb to have exchanged those items for the candies only for them to disappear a short time later, since it makes the the candies little more than a middleman.

57 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

According to Reddit, they stay in your inventory. "Unless the game tells you otherwise nothing will ever disappear on you. // They stay. Take your time." Only the "currency items " disappear I think.
So I finally cleared out the Halloween Story. Leveling up my characters and swapping one or two out did the trick.

At the moment, I am contemplating trying to farm for Halloween Princess so I can try to max it out. I doubt I'll be able to do this completely or effectively due to my current party strength, but nothing else in the shop really interests me (aside from getting one copy of Maid in Halloween and the EXP Cards). I got the free event character copy and am not interested in trying to max her out, so I will not be getting her ascension materials or duplicates.

Other than maybe trying to get more Halloween Princess CEs to make it more powerful, I'm probably going to end up going back to the story. It's going to be a bit easy now since I'm fighting level 17 enemies while my guys are now above level 30 (Tamamo Cat is now 40 and ascended).

@Sire Supports are stronk. I'd say that farming for Halloween Princess is a worthwhile proposition.
A Limit Breaked Halloween Princess grants the Servant +20% to NP damage, and a massive 50% starting NP charge, which effectively makes it a limit breaked Dragon's Meridian with more cost but with the big hefty boost to NP damage.

I dunno if I can help but, I got a lvl 67 Vlad on me if you so desire it.

EDIT: Also, when you find the mats to do so invest in Hans. The guy's considered one of the BEST Support Casters for a damn reason.
Hint: His NP (and the fact that accuracy doesn't really matter as he's a 2* in the friendpoint gacha which basically entails him being able to actually reach NP5 of which the accuracy for that NP is at a 80%), and his second skill which grants 50% NP gauge at lvl 1.

Also, a guy on the /r/grandorder discord (not me btw) found a hilarious vid of a nongrailed Eurayle and double Waver rekting face in EoR 2. I can PM it to people if they want

Edited by N30

Anyone wants to join me in the litanies of agony (aka seeing a gold drop during Atalanta party but it is a freaking monument ... thrice!!!)?

Cleared the shop, so I'm resetting the 20 AP Lunatic party that I saved for 5th Halloween Princess. @eclipse Kintoki came in handy several times for pumpkins (and 1-shot bosses with GOLDEN SPARK Buster chain).
Might farm for candles during that period to get some free Lancer/Caster pieces/monuments since I don't have any in stock for Cu and Medea. 

Anyone wants to join me in the litanies of agony (aka seeing a gold drop during Atalanta party but it is a freaking monument ... thrice!!!)?

>Looks at CE list
>Looks at all 5 Halloween Princesses
>Laughs

Uncle Vlad dropped that one for me man.
I also basically cleared out the shop - if anything, I'm just trying to get monuments and some pieces from the shop now.

Now, that GUDAGUDA Event is coming I got this important question for you all:

Okita or no?

(Personally it's a no from me but I'd like to hear your guy's opinion on her)

@N30 Same here. It dropped for me without really having to go out of my way for it, haha.

I’m only missing one Reverse Scale and the Berserker statues/monuments from the shop, so I’ve been going back to doing Embers to get EXP for Caster Liz.

Okita is great, but I’m going to pass on her. I personally am waiting for Jeanne Alter to come to NA even though the temptation to roll Tamamo now grows stronger and stronger.

You?

@MrSmokestack (nah I was farming right and Vlad eventually dropped it. I got the screenshot and everything hue.)

Mm. I'm just not the biggest fan of quick servants >_<
Servants I'm looking forward to? Well, I'm just gonna include SR and SSR (mainly because I know I will get the 3*s without trying to - other than more Bediveres for NP5 but that's besides the point) for each class (no particular order, including some wellfares).

Saber: Arthur, Musashi, Mordred, Saber Empiero

Archer: Gilgamesh on one of the reruns, Archuria, Demiya/EMIYA Alter (despite what I may say about him, it's another EMIYA), Chloe, Inferno Archer, Shinjiku Archer, and my guy Tesla. Obligatory comment about a SF servant I want here but can't have till the damn book series is done.

Lancer: EXTRA!Vlad, Shisou/Scathach, Bryhildr, Lancer!Artoria (both variants), Enkidu, and Li Shuwen.

Rider: Kintoki, Iskandar, Ozymandias. I'd like a certain Fake Rider to be a thing but strange fake isn't done yet so... rip again :<

Caster: Merlin/dick wizard/troll, Irisviel, Caster!Gil, Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Edison, Ilya, Caster!Nero, Helena, and Xuanzang.

Assassin: King Hassan/gramps, Oskabahime, Cleopatra, Shiki Ryougi, EMIYA, Kato Danzo, and Shuten Douji.

Berserker: Beowulf, Nightingale, Berserker of El Dorado, Cu Alter, Cacha, and Hijitaka.

Others: All the other Rulers, All the Avengers (shouts out to Edmond and Gorgon in particular), BB, and all the Alter Ego. 

Yeah, I am setting myself up for disappointment. But, I'm also looking forward to a lot of 3*s as well (Hozoin, Billy, Bedivere, and KoGil to name a few).
But seriously, strange fake servants other than Gil and Enkidu u goddamn MEMEERS when? I wanna see how Fake Berserker gets shown in here and how cancerous DW can make fighting True Archer in Nerofest or something.

Also, that goddamn Halloween 2017 event in JP right now is making me laugh my ass off so far (just from the 2 translated chapters I've read thus far)

Edited by N30

Regarding the Halloween Event, I basically need 100 more Bats to get the last Halloween Princess from the shop. As for obtaining a 5th one, I have not been farming for it as I've been focused on clearing out the event quests. Other than that, I ignored the event character and went straight for the EXP cards and whatever materials my characters need.

Also, I'm feeling quite happy with my party's progression. I've only been playing for about 10 days or so and the event helped out leveling my guys a lot. I just need to ascend Georgios again so he can keep up the tanking. I'll optimize the sub-member slots later to build a "Buster" oriented team with Georgios and Mash as tanks. (I know Leonidas is probably better for this than Georgios, but I like the guy too much.)

Spoiler

4NEIaVG.png

For future heroes, despite having no real knowledge of the franchise, I am looking forward to Ishtar, Scathach, Christopher Columbus, and King Hassan. I am probably screwed since most servants I am interested in are either limited/seasonal and the rates are abysmal...

I was able to buy all the copies of Halloween Princess and Maid in Halloween in the shop just by doing all the single time battles for pumpkins and apples.  Just need to get one to drop/get one in the gacha and I'll be able to LB it.

Also @Sire why are you saying no to a free NP5 4 star Servant?  You've at least been getting her ascension materials, right?

After I finish all the one time missions I'll probably go back to beating up Vlad in hopes he drops another Halloween Princess.

7 hours ago, N30 said:

>Looks at CE list
>Looks at all 5 Halloween Princesses
>Laughs

7 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

ame here. It dropped for me without really having to go out of my way for it, haha.

... Commencing ... purification.

7 hours ago, N30 said:

Okita or no?

No. Unless you like her she is not good because she is Quick-based. Right now Quick-based Servants are pretty much inferior in teams compared to other options. The lack of consistent damage output really hampers them which is a shame for Okita's decent ATK.

4 hours ago, Sire said:

went straight for the EXP

Maybe one piece of advice for the future: 90% of the time buying EXP cards with Event items or Mana Prisms is a scam. The amount of resources and AP you have to invest can be better used to do the 30/40 AP quest which give you far more EXP for your AP.

I'm looking forward to:

Spoiler

Saber: Fergus (he should be added with the Scathach banner, right?), Lancelot (Saber), Yagyu Munenori, Musashi, Arthur (Prototype)

Archer: Tomoe Gozen (one of the few Servants that match their gender and original legend)

Lancer: Scathach

Rider: Iskandar

Caster: None (not really interested in Merlin)

Assassin: Ryougi Shiki, EMIYA

Berserker: None (really don't care about them outside of Heracles and Lancelot)

Other: Edmond Dantes, Sherlock Holmes

Edited by Talandar