Grand Hero Battle: Clarisse!

Vaximillian

@XRay Would you believe me if I told you she was -RES? 

@mampfoid I was looking forward to Berkut, but you see how that went. I'm pretty much done at this point. There's no challenge left on the backend. Camus and Saias are the next big challenges, and I'm not expecting too much of a challenge at this point. If there isn't a Raven tome I'm confident my team is going to crush it, and even if there is my team will still crush it. If Saias is anything like Valter, Takumi or F!Grima though, that should be the next big thing.

@NegativeExponents- Thank you. Your clear was pretty awesome as well. I have a *4 +7 Seliph who will likely be seeing use in the coming Tempest. Albeit with a Silver Sword.

@mcsilas I actually had Cancel Affinity at the ready. Just seemed like too much work when the cav was easy to snipe with Ayra. Matthew pretty much can make just about anyone a tank, but the defense tile helped too. Noticed Joshua as well who I don't see often. Any thoughts as to who you've considered giving DC to yet?

@Fei Mao Oh my God a KUF player! Yes I played both The Crusaders and Heroes. Fantastic games! I miss them. Almost used one of the map themes for the Legion fight too.

@Alexmender You should play it. XIII-2 expanded on the gameplay mechanics and improved on what people thought was XIII's biggest flaw: Linearity. But by pretty much every other stretch of the imagination, the first one was better.

Edited by Zeo

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Would you believe me if I told you she was -RES? 

I believe anything at this point. Matthew's Rogue Dagger is pretty neat at making everyone on the team absurdly tanky.

Have you tried using Smoke Dagger on Matthew yet? Between Rogue and Smoke, which do you find more useful?

16 minutes ago, XRay said:

I believe anything at this point. Matthew's Rogue Dagger is pretty neat at making everyone on the team absurdly tanky.

Have you tried using Smoke Dagger on Matthew yet? Between Rogue and Smoke, which do you find more useful?

I think Smoke Dagger would be more useful on another dagger user instead. It's also impeccable for Gunnthra and could have great synergy with both her and ploy mages. Matthew's spread compliments Rogue Dagger and Smoke Dagger doesn't quite have the same synergy as Rogue Dagger+ for him and his team because you can't do ATK Seal/Smoke + DEF/RES boosts for that delicious 11 damage reduction. Which is taken up to 17 if you have Smoke in your C slot and run Close or Distant DEF in his Seal slot, or anyone else's you want to tank a specific threat.

I doubt I'll give Matthew a Smoke Dagger any time soon. Especially since I want to raise a Sothe (potentially a Close Counter one) who's a dreamlike combination of Rogue and Smoke Dagger+. That and being one of the more underwhelming launch units Matthew himself could get a Prf down the line and who knows what they would do with that considering he and Jakob are still considered the worst dagger units and some of the worst units in the game period.

Edited by Zeo

17 hours ago, Zeo said:

@mcsilas I actually had Cancel Affinity at the ready. Just seemed like too much work when the cav was easy to snipe with Ayra. Matthew pretty much can make just about anyone a tank, but the defense tile helped too. Noticed Joshua as well who I don't see often. Any thoughts as to who you've considered giving DC to yet?

Still no thoughts- although this account doesn't have spare Hectors anyway.

As for my other account- still no decision yet. Not Joshua though, I'm neutral to him and I like Close Def. If I had to pick a favourite, maybe Lloyd? But still unsure at this point- I think an armour seems logical. 

18 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@mcsilas the first is my favorite, red head Emblem + Escape Route action, nice. 

Why don't your give your Bladetome mages some A-Skills (even if they do their work regardless)? Also Oscar is without A-Skill (and even without 5* promotion). 

Nino actually has Fury, but I was testing out different A skills at the time since as I mentioned, 2 blues and fliers against the map can be tricky, and Nino lost too much health in one attempt.

I think during those attempts, I took off LaD from Corrin as well for similar reasons. In the end it didn't matter though, because Desperation too good,

@mcsilas Considering Armors are what you run in your Arena core, it would be a solid investment. Especially if you use an armor you can potentially merge down the line if you change your mind about merging (like Effie).

7 hours ago, Zeo said:

@mcsilas Considering Armors are what you run in your Arena core, it would be a solid investment. Especially if you use an armor you can potentially merge down the line if you change your mind about merging (like Effie).

True. Although Lyn already fills the blue armour niche that i lacked.

originally it was either going to be Berkut’s lance Eliwood or my +Def/-spd Effie (also Berkut’s lance as the plan). Haven’t upgrade Effie yet (instead a +2 merge at 4 stars since earlier Effies wereneh natures). Eliwood would be nice but he is limited in merges if I ever go down that route.

i hear sheena becomea really great as well with her mixed bulk- I have a +Res/-Spd one at 4 star. But i already have a lot of green armours and if I ever get Grima i’m sure he will be a more used Armour as well

So now that I put some effort into blessings I've decided to start attempting the quests for completing the battle with a team of all one blessings, this is the first GHB so far I've completed all quests for, I went into battle with whatever units I had for each blessing to see how it went, thanks to the new 0 mana cost I was able to do a few attempts to work out the tactics for each team.

@Zeo @mampfoid @Vaximillian @Cute Chao @Ginko @Poimagic (and a special mention to @DefaultBeep. Also @Hilda and @bethany81707 for Clair inspiration/focus/appreciation)

Here have another theme team clear (minimal skill inheritance). This time it's Clarisse's GHB, where she is challenged by people with similar names to her. In other words- Clair/Clarine vs Clarisse. Klein is there because Clarisse's Japanese name is Kleine.

(Or accidental Blonde Emblem)

As for natures, Clarisse is obviously neutral, Clarine is +HP/-Atk, Clair is +Spd/-Def and Klein is +Atk/-Res

Music is Deserted Town from the King of Fighters 2002 soundtrack.

-----

A few notes-

-Yes I start out the battle by having Clarisse facetank the swordie. Sounds crazy but she has the most Defense so she could take a hit.

-And yes you saw that. Clarine is 3 star and somehow has Martyr. That's because I sacked a 4 star Clarine and gave her Martyr because that was the missing link in this run.

Why didn't I use a 4 star Clarine? Because for some reason, Clarisse moves down instead of right if I use a 4 star Clarine. This is also why I didn't merge the other Clarine, because it took me hours to get to this point where I only needed Martyr and this 3 star is my last Clarine- I was so close to figuring it out and it worked! Yes Rehabilitate is also an option but I like how Martyr works because Clarine can learn it in higher rarites

-At 1:20 Clarisse uses her bow to great effect! The debuff effect was needed so my +Spd Clair can double the thief.

-I was inspired by @Hilda's Clair and really wanted to use her somehow. I'm glad she turned out well and was the MVP in this run. She may not have Berkut's Lance or DC like Hilda's (low priority in building her right now) but darn is she bulky with just Distant Defense. Tanking the TA Gronnraven mage and the blue mage without a defense tile is pretty impressive. Of course, she can't take repeated TA Gronnraven hits, so Clarine's Martyr really made this run work.

Sure she may have been a pitybreaker but I like Clair as a character so it's great that she got a chance to shine!

-At 2:00- Clarine turns the enemy's Savage Blow to her favour! Clarine absorbs the Savage Blow damage and powers up her Marytr heals- since Clair's health needed replenish to take on the TA Gronnraven mage which decimates my team of 1 blue and 3 colourless. And she does this without actually participating in battle!

-At 2:28- Klein specifically needs a 3 charge special to ORKO Clarisse, because even at +Atk Clarisse would still have some HP left.

@mcsilas You really put some effort into this one, well done! It looks easy, but there are so many close situations where your units survive by few HP or get a crucial kill barely done. Bold move to go with 3 colorless units (one even at 3*) and one blue unit against a TA Gronnraven mage, your units are at disadvantage on so many levels, that is hard to top. 

Your Clair is pretty cool, I'm curious how you will build her in the future. Adorable pity breakers with perfect natures are the best. 

1 hour ago, Poimagic said:

@mcsilas Nice vid. I actually have a Clair that I have yet to train up. She is +def and I’m gonna try and run some sort of mixed tank build

Wow you seem to have a lot of fliers :D

She's a great magical tank though. I don't use her as much since I use Hinoka as a lance flier although Summer Corrin has mostly usurped her role. Still, Clair is great if you need to bait mages.

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

@mcsilas You really put some effort into this one, well done! It looks easy, but there are so many close situations where your units survive by few HP or get a crucial kill barely done. Bold move to go with 3 colorless units (one even at 3*) and one blue unit against a TA Gronnraven mage, your units are at disadvantage on so many levels, that is hard to top. 

Your Clair is pretty cool, I'm curious how you will build her in the future. Adorable pity breakers with perfect natures are the best. 

3 colourless and 1 blue Flier in an Archer GHB even!

It's amazing how Clarine needed to be 3 star for the strat to work.

But yeah took me hours but it was worth it in the end. I tried to limit the inheritance, which makes it fun. 0 Stamina GHBs are great since I can be more creative.

In the process of making this I tried many different strats, like Clair being a Ploy bot or letting Klein bait the enemy on turn 1. It turns out even at -Res with the Distant Def SS and QR3, he can survive with single digit health against the Gronnraven. Actually even Clarine can survive the TA mage with the DD3 seal. Unfortunately none of the earlier strats worked after the first few turns.

But yeah the Distant Def seal was really useful for this map.

And yeah I hear horror stories of people being disappointed with pitybreaking Clairs, but I really lucked out because it saved me 20k feathers and I got a pretty good nature, too. (Fun fact this was in Shiro's debut banner while I was searching for a non -Atk Shiro). One day if I ever get enough Hectors, she'll be great with DC and Berkut's Lance. Just a bit sad her Atk is a bit on the low side. For now I don't really have a good filler A skill, so maybe a stat boost skill like +Atk will be a cheap alternative. Distant Defense A slot could be interesting but that's a rare skill. B skill could either be Guard or QR if going for the DC anti-mage. C skill is Goad Fliers (she already has it inherited but not learned).

3 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

So my Roy is -Def =P .

Haha, oh you could take the other route. Funnily enough: With Summoner Support your Roy would have had the same problem like mine (-HP). Congratulations, you seem to have no problem keeping the pace! 

Btw: I'm curious how you'll do Narcians GHB. Roy could get problems surviving and killing that Zambato. Your red and blue Fliers can't kill Narcian taking enough damage for WoM at the same time. 

Btw2: I just got my first 3* Cordelia! It hurts to not merge her, but I already promoted her and foddered her to Oscar. While I don't know if I'll have the time on Saturday for Valter, I guess Zephiel on Monday should be no problem to record. 

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Haha, oh you could take the other route. Funnily enough: With Summoner Support your Roy would have had the same problem like mine (-HP). Congratulations, you seem to have no problem keeping the pace! 

Btw: I'm curious how you'll do Narcians GHB. Roy could get problems surviving and killing that Zambato. Your red and blue Fliers can't kill Narcian taking enough damage for WoM at the same time. 

Yeah, Summoner Support would definitely have complicated it. On the pace: yeah, the battling/recording part I can keep up with, but I keep getting distracted from some of the uploading. I actually have recordings for Narcian, Navarre, Legion, Zephiel, and Valter that I just haven't gotten around to putting up. I'll probably get Narcian taken care of later today.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Btw2: I just got my first 3* Cordelia! It hurts to not merge her, but I already promoted her and foddered her to Oscar. While I don't know if I'll have the time on Saturday for Valter, I guess Zephiel on Monday should be no problem to record. 

Congrats! I'm looking forward to those.

47 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Narcian, Navarre, Legion, Zephiel, and Valter that I just haven't gotten around to putting up. I'll probably get Narcian taken care of later today.

Uh, then you already took the lead. I'm looking forward to see your solution of those.

My Zephiel solution is nearly Cav-only for example, while Valters solution got a similar opening but has more GF. 

@Zeo I'm really, really late, and I apologize for that, but... wow. The clear itself was great as always (and the song choice was particularly nice, even if I still need to beat the first game, heh), but I can't express how honored I am by this. I'm extremely glad that my own personal project was able to be so much of an inspiration, especially when you were the one who inspired my own project in the first place! I didn't expect this when I logged back in to SF, but... thank you. Thank you again for inspiring me, and thank you for considering my own efforts and clears inspirational at all. And I guess you're welcome as well, but mostly thank you still. Heroes may not last forever, but at least we were both able to find a way to enjoy the game in our own way, which I think is much more worth remembering than what Heroes itself might have done on its own. And may we both continue to build our teams and clear these maps, in the name of character bias and unorthodox builds! For... as long as Heroes remains enjoyable/active, I suppose.

Also, thank you to everyone else who tagged me in your clears as well. Even though I've been kinda dead in activity on SF lately, I'm flattered that I'm still remembered for my relevant bias here, haha~

...And now the great irony is that I haven't actually done a Clarisse clear of this yet, but I'm gonna work on it, I promise!

• 5 months later...

This battle takes a special spot i my heart, as it is the first Heroes related video i brought to my channel.

To "celebrate" the one year of Heroes video on the channel, i revamped the battle (like i did with Michalis, Arvis and Berkut), this time using the very same charachters (not the sets tho). It resulted in a 90% copy of that very first video (becuase of Distant def seal).

Here are both of my clear, the old and the new one (so that it can also prove the evolution of my Heroes videos)

(lol same thumbnail)

• 2 months later...

@mampfoid @mcsilas @Alexmender @eclipse @DefaultBeep @Landmaster @Nanima @Azuris @ruruo @SatsumaFSoysoy @XRay @Rafiel's Aria @Cute Chao

Old Matthew Clear:

Spoiler

It saddens me that it took so long to realize the practical application that Sol provides Morgan. As long as he isn't fighting blue RES tanks (which he needs Luna to punch through) it's even more like using Matthew. Sucks I've made this discovery so close to the end. I'll be continuing to play around with it, but you guys won't be able to see it, and that's a shame, but enough of that.

The Matthew clear was so perfect I didn't even want to revisit this one, but going back and doing all these again, it wouldn't be right to leave this one. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

No special clear. I'm perfectly happy with the two I've done, and so now we let Clarisse sleep.

5 hours ago, Zeo said:

It saddens me that it took so long to realize the practical application that Sol provides Morgan. As long as he isn't fighting blue RES tanks (which he needs Luna to punch through) it's even more like using Matthew. Sucks I've made this discovery so close to the end. I'll be continuing to play around with it, but you guys won't be able to see it, and that's a shame, but enough of that.

I slept on Sol/Noontime as well until my Tiki needed it for Abyssal Ryoma, now I use those skills a little more also on other units. Especially the newer using units have so much ATK, they often don't need a damage special. 

Well, this clear was also a perfect Matthew clear. Just give Morgan a defense tile and Sol, her becomes indestructible!

Congrats! 

14 hours ago, Zeo said:

@mampfoid @mcsilas @Alexmender @eclipse @DefaultBeep @Landmaster @Nanima @Azuris @ruruo @SatsumaFSoysoy @XRay @Rafiel's Aria @Cute Chao

Old Matthew Clear:

Reveal hidden contents

The Matthew clear was so perfect I didn't even want to revisit this one, but going back and doing all these again, it wouldn't be right to leave this one. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

No special clear. I'm perfectly happy with the two I've done, and so now we let Clarisse sleep.

It's easy to overlook Sol but it can have it uses as we see here~ Morgan didn't really need any help at all with that Defensive tile, nice way to end off Clarisse~

@Zeo

Oh wow, you revisit every single one of these, you really want to end it with a grand finale.

Morgan just flat out defeated everyone himself this time, I guess this map just wasn't a match for him.

And yes Sol and Noontime can be a big help, especially when you don't bring a healer. I have them as alternatives on my most used units.

@Zeo Wow, really impressed with Morgan just being a self-healing debuffer! Give him Aether to get both the benefits of Sol and Luna!

Clarisse never saw it coming as soon as Morgan hit her and healed 1 HP short of full health. Really great use of Sol, I should use that more often as well if I had the fodder. Great PvE skill

• 1 year later...