Do you think the Cipher TCG can see an international release?

BlackSymphony

Thanks to the Cipher Companions DLC in Echoes, people may be interested enough to warrant an international release of Cipher. If the Cipher OCs get into Heroes, then that chance might go up even further.

There's a lot of cool FE merchandise that never makes it overseas. The Cipher TCG is huge, so they may want to start with something small, such as the FE Drama CDs.

Because of the DLC in Shadows of Valentia, I don't think it's an impossibility. However, it is unlikely. Take, for example, the last DLC for Fates. It has been over a year since Fates has been released in the U.S., and it hasn't been released, and likely never will.

I mean, it's not impossible that Cipher won't be released, just unlikely, and probably not anytime soon.

I mean, it's not impossible, but personally, I highly doubt it will be at this point. I mean, we're nine sets and two years into the Japanese release. If they were going to localise it, I'd think they'd have shown some signs of doing it by now. Sure the Cipher mascots making it into Echoes, and potentially Heroes some time down the line, could generate more interest the characters and the game, but I'm not sure how translating however-many lines of dialogue for digital content compares to translating 900+ cards which need to be printed physically.

6 hours ago, BlackSymphony said:

What really bothers me is that it's very popular in a lot of other places, but it has not seen a western release yet.

One thing you have to take into account is that internationalizing a TCG is a huge business decision. They have to figure out if it would actually sell enough around the world to make up the cost, and with most kids and their parents putting all their TCG money into Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and/or Magic, Cipher would have a tough time establishing itself, at least in the USA where I am. Two years seems like forever, but I think they could actually go a little longer to make certain it's not just a fad that'll die out.

As much as I would love to see FE Cipher make it over to the west and actually be able to put my cards to actual use instead of being beautiful art pieces in a binder, I don't think Cipher will do all that well in a broad demographic.  Cipher will have a pretty difficult time getting established, even though FE is a fairly popular Nintendo franchise now, I don't think it'll do as well as other TCG games that have had a foundation for years now.  Even the Final Fantasy TCG is having a pretty rough time finding a foundation of dedicated fans in the west despite Final Fantasy being a pretty well-established franchise, though I am looking forward to Type-0 cards.

However, it's not impossible like others have said.  If it does make it to the west, I will welcome it with open arms.

16 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

FINAL FANTASY HAS A TCG?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lol yup.  I think they're preparing for Opus II or III (basically series 2 and 3).  And there are some starter decks based on certain FF games.

zero chance, way too late in the game now.

Japanese infrastructure supports a tcg release, western doesn't.  Much easier to built a tournament support system in japan, then the us and europe where int sys has no presence.

On June 29, 2017 at 0:06 PM, MediocreLee said:

Lol yup.  I think they're preparing for Opus II or III (basically series 2 and 3).  And there are some starter decks based on certain FF games.

Dude, screw you - I already spend too much money on card games and now I've got another one I've gotta go find and blow more money on. Mostly joking on the screw you, but dude. Just. AGH.

10 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

Doubt it will get a release any time soon. Hope for the best though.

I've spent too much xD

Same, Aquantis alone has made like $500+ from me on this game, not to mention the boxes and Structure Decks I got from the official people, and I'm probably on the low end.

Edited by SoulWeaver
Realized I sounded like a douche

Fire Emblem Cipher TCG won't make it to the West. Even if it did, it will become rare for any store to even carry booster boxes like FF Opus. lol stores like Walmart, Toys R Us and etc. don't carry FF Opus, it won't become popular. 

If you are collecting for the sakes of collecting, just collect it from Japan. I am already 8/9 complete series, have all the PR's so far and marker cipher cards. It's extremely expensive as a completionist. Jobless right now, so I can't get series 9 and series 10 is around the corner in September. Yikes.

Furthermore, If it's already been 9 series into the TCG it's pretty much too late for it to come out to the West. Even if it did, it would only last the first 1-4 series before it dies down and becomes overshadowed by another TCG or Pokemon lol.