Which Nintendo franchise do you think has the best music

Armagon

Which Nintendo franchise do you think has the best music?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which Nintendo franchise do you think has the best music?

• Super Mario (includes spin-offs such as Mario Kart, Paper Mario, etc. Also includes the Yoshi series)
    • The Legend of Zelda
    • Kirby
    • Donkey Kong
    • Metroid
    • F-Zero
    • Earthbound/Mother
    • Pokemon
    • Fire Emblem
    • Kid Icarus
    • Xenoblade Chronicles
    • Star Fox
    • Other (specify in comments)

Nintendo games likely hold a special place in our hearts. And one thing i've always liked about Nintendo games, is that they can have really good music. So my question to you is, which Nintendo series do you think has the best music? I know it's probably hard to choose, because there's so many good options. Of course, given the context of this question, for many of us "best" may also end up meaning "favorite".

For me, the Xenoblade Chronicles series has the best music out of any Nintendo series, and i say this as someone who likes Fire Emblem a bit more than Xenoblade Chronicles. The songs do an amazing job at capturing the feel of the environment, emotions, basically anything. Xenoblade music is so good! And while X doesn't have as amazing of a soundtrack as the original, there are a decent amount of songs in Xenoblade Chronicles X that are really, really good! And after hearing the four music tracks on the official Japanese website of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, i'm fully convinced that Xenoblade Chronicles, as a series, will never be topped when it comes to music.

While Xenoblade Chronicles has the best music in my opinion, honorable mentions need to go to Fire Emblem, Kirby, The Legend of Zelda, and Kid Icarus (Uprising specifically) and Super Smash Bros but that doesn't count.

I went with donkey kong.  DKC and DKC2 are amazing. DK3C and DKCR have some memorable tracks although yeah I prefer the somber. occasionally dark tone of the music in the first two games. DK64 actually has pretty solid theme music, the creepy castle level holds up really favorably with mad monster mansion in banjo kazzoie imo. 

As for the other options- Mario is really underrated soundtrack wise. I really wanted to go with it just to represent how much of SMW and 64's music is still instantly recallable to me at any time. Yoshi's island and many of the boss themes of the n64 paper mario are alwso personal favorites of mine. I guess I don't like galaxy's soundtrack as much as some people. I want to give a shoutout to mario tennis and ceirtain mario party minigame music

F-zero's music was always divisive to me. I adore X but I'm in the camp that hates the track themes from GX, although I like the pilot themes.

I really like Kirby's music even though gameplaywise I rag on it the most of all nintendo's franchises.

For zelda, LttP has some of my favorite music ever, and I like some highlights of TP, OOT, and MM, but unfortunately I'm inclined to judge by GB standards, and personally I remember playing the oracle games/awakening at the same time as Final Fantasy Adventure(Seiken Deketsu 1). Perhaps it's unfair to judge music by a system with such bad output, but in my mind zelda and FFA are permenently linked, and the former succumbs to the limitations of the system, while the latter is one of the few carts to ever get a good sound out of it.

Metroid- Super and Prime 1 kinda dominate the series music, I liked the GBA games and prime 2, but I don't really like the representation of the whole series.

I feel like the rest are on the whole good (star fox suffers when  being judged  as a franchise with 64 predominating over all other entries imo) but I'd say for me DK>Mario>F-zero>Kirby>Zelda>Metroid>Rest.

Edited by Reality

i'm not a big fan of video game music, and most of these don't stand out to me much, but I picked donkey kong

the first two snes donkey kong country games have really, really great music. the songs all fit perfectly with the levels they're in, and even without taking a single look at a level, you can already get a good idea of what it's like by just listening to the music, because it matches that well. and at the same time, it all manages to be really catchy and memorable

the third game's music is great too, completely different style from the first two and not quite as fitting at times, but still really good overall. there was also a gba version of DKC3 that used a different soundtrack by the same person who composed the music for the first two games, and that was really great too. i thought a lot of the songs there were more fitting than the ones in the SNES version, and I think it was one of the few games where the music wasn't really hurt by being on the gba at all. which i think is actually why it was done in the first place, a lot of the songs in the gba versions of the first two games sounded pretty awful

i never finished dkc returns, but that had great music too. the remixes of the songs from the first game were really good, and the new songs were nice as well. the rocket barrel theme was probably the most memorable of thw new ones. there was a lot of variety in different styles and sounds there. haven't played the second one, but the songs i've heard from it were all pretty great, and I think the same applies

same with dk64 i've never played it but all the songs i've heard from it sound great

so yeah every donkey kong game has good music i pick that one

Edited by unique

Gonna go with Star Fox, since most of the themes are catchy/epic/space operatic and such very fitting of the tones of their stages very well. 

Most of the other franchises have really good tunes as well but I enjoy Star Foxes the most of the Ninty lineup.

Can I cheat and say Smash Bros?

I mean for real though, Brawl and 4 have loads of great songs considering it includes music from multiple Nintendo franchises and Sonic, and 4 has songs from Street Fighter, FF 7, Bayonetta, Megaman, and Pacman, while Brawl has music from Metal Gear Solid. That's an amazing amount and variety.

But if I have to pick from what you said, then Xenoblade. I liked 1's soundtracks.... and while I don't remember too much of X, I liked it a bit too.

Donkey Kong. Zelda's good, too, but honestly, as possibly blasphemous as this may be to say, everything outside of DK and Zelda is pretty "meh" to me. Obviously they all have standout, iconic tracks, but on the whole I don't think most of Nintendo's OSTs are particularly outstanding.

Edited by Slumber

I don't want to be that guy, but I'm going to throw out Fire Emblem just because of the sheer amount of tracks and the amount of memorable tracks. I think Nintendo OSTs in general are very high quality, but Fire Emblem tends to go from memorable and dramatic tracks (The Devoted as an example) to peaceful (much of Echoes' OST) to a building symphony (FE9's OST, my favorite in the series tied with Echoes). It's a matter of my taste, because Zelda's music has certainly enhanced the experience by a lot with its timing.

I can't choose between FE and Zelda. They both have amazing music. Though I also have to give a shoutout to the Mario Galaxy games for having masterpieces like Gusty Garden Galaxy and Buoy Base Galaxy!

Zelda will alway be number one for me, though I do think Fire Emblem has the most underappreciated music of all of Nintendo's franchises I wish more people would give it love. 

My Runners-up are

1. Fire Emblem
  2. Xenoblade
  3. Metroid
  4. Donkey Kong Country
  5. Smash

Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Pokemon are imo way ahead of the other nintendo franchises in this department. I went with Xenoblade because both of the games have fantastic soundtracks, while there are some Pokemon and Fire Emblem games whose soundtracks I find just okay.

Also, Xenoblade X's OST is not only fantastic but also unique and diverse, so even more points to it.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:19 PM, Reality said:

star fox suffers when  being judged  as a franchise with 64 predominating over all other entries imo) but I'd say for me 

I disagree

64 has some nice melodies (Star Wolf, Zoness) and more atmospheric tracks, but I think that the unique style of the SNES OST or the beautiful orchestrations of Assault are stronger.

I have a soft spot for F-Zero music. The character themes from GX that had the collaboration with Dakota Star in particular are really cheesy and fun. 

Though I think it's hard to beat the Donkey Kong soundtracks. I'll also mention the DK Land OST because its overshadowed by the other music in the series.

Voices of the Temple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqyyFV9XF2g

Would be even correct to count the DK series as Nintendo since the classic games including soundtrack were made by RareWare?

RareWare did the best soundtrack in videogaming. I love the very most themes from the DK country triology, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, Banjo duology, Conker's Bad Fur Day and GoldenEye 64.

Still so sad that Microsoft killed it.

Edit: I voted for DK because it was on the list.
Normally I'd not associate the parts from the 90s with Nintendo. 

Edited by はたの 秦 こころ

I'd say Donkey Kong. I am absolutely IN LOVE with David Wise's Tropical Freeze soundtrack for one, never seen an entire OST be that perfect since perhaps Sonic Adventure for me.

Edited by DragonLord

14 minutes ago, DragonLord said:

I'd say Donkey Kong. I am absolutely IN LOVE with David Wise's Tropical Freeze soundtrack for one, never seen an entire OST be that perfect since perhaps Sonic Adventure for me.

A man of refined taste. 

6 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

Would be even correct to count the DK series as Nintendo since the classic games including soundtrack were made by RareWare?

RareWare did the best soundtrack in videogaming. I love the very most themes from the DK country triology, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, Banjo duology, Conker's Bad Fur Day and GoldenEye 64.

Still so sad that Microsoft killed it.

Edit: I voted for DK because it was on the list.
Normally I'd not associate the parts from the 90s with Nintendo. 

nintendo owns the donkey kong series, so it's a nintendo series.

Also, Rare made games exclusively for nintendo in the 90s. They were second party for nintendo. If donkey kong games from the 90s aren't nintendo games, then neither is any pokemon game, since gamefreak is a second party developer as well (they in fact released a bunch of PC games the past few years)

Edited by Nobody

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

A man of refined taste. 

Ah, I'm not surprised to see you agree with me being a big Sonic fan yourself. Seriously though, I've always believed SA1 has the greatest OST for any videogame, period. It's also one of the many reasons SA1 is my second favourite game of all time. Many Sonic fans say Sonic CD, but I digress. I'd have to say a close second would be perhaps Sonic Heroes, although I'm not too set on that.

Edited by DragonLord

2 hours ago, DragonLord said:

Ah, I'm not surprised to see you agree with me being a big Sonic fan yourself. Seriously though, I've always believed SA1 has the greatest OST for any videogame, period. It's also one of the many reasons SA1 is my second favourite game of all time. Many Sonic fans say Sonic CD, but I digress. I'd have to say a close second would be perhaps Sonic Heroes, although I'm not too set on that.

I'll reply to this then stop derailing haha. 

SA1 has an amazing ost yeah, atlhough I always want to cheat and say Generations, I generally love most Sonic ost's as a whole, hell 06 despite what it is, probably has one of the top tier ost's of the franchise too. 

Heroes also has a nice set of tracks, I quite like Power Plant among other things.