What kind of characters do you wish to see in the next Fire Emblem title for the Switch?

I would't mind seeing an atheist or a less passionate priest in the next game. Not in the jerkass Azama way, but a character who was forced enter the clergy to advance his family's interests. From what i've read sons who weren't in line to inherit anything where often raised to make carreers in the clergy so those sons could further the influence of the family  from there. It would make for an interesting backstory and I don't believe Fire emblem ever had such a character before.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one thing, I'd like to see them bring back the classic archetypes, but play with them more.

Maybe have the Navarre be a Brigand with a Killer Axe or something, or maybe the Est could actually be an older veteran fighter who's gotten rusty, and whose high growth rates represent them getting back into their groove. Give us another Triangle Attack between three characters who aren't Pegasus Knights. Make the Cain/Abel duo of the game both be a class other than Cavalier, and make them both girls, or at least make the green one/Abel of the two the girl for once. Have the Jagen be something that isn't promoted from a Cavalier. Have a Lord who's totally different from the standard Nice Blue-Haired Noble Sword Boy the series loves to spam so much while changing maybe two of those listed traits if we're lucky. Make a main villain who's not a tin tyrant, evil sorcerer, cult leader, or superpowerful dragon or deific being or something. And, it'd be great to see more LGBTQIA+ and darker-skinned characters, too, as well as the aforementioned variety of body types. This sorta doubles as a worldbuilding desire, but I'd also love to see a visible difference in the cultures present in the game's world, and have that be reflected in the characters you get in your army, too.

Really just, keep it recognizably-Fire Emblemy, but get a little bold and switch things up, too.

Also make the characters actual characters and not walking, talking tropes and gimmicks, but that kinda stands to reason.

I want a return of some archetypes that have been shelved more recently.

First off, I want a Bord and Cord, we haven't seen a true Axe-Fighter duo since Garcia and Ross in FE8, I think it's time for a revival.

Second off, I want a Beowolf, These guys tend to be pretty varied, and I'm interested in what they would pick. (Dark Mage Beowolf? Myrmidon Beowolf?)

Lastly, I think another Pegasus Trio would be nice, I always like seeing the contrast between three opposing types, though I think this one could use a ''shake up'' to keep things interesting.

I recently had an idea for a Jagen-type unit.  How about having them be a Don Quixote-like character?  As in they have bad stats and growths because they are not and never were a fighter, but now have delusions about becoming a knight.

I also had this idea about pirate Pegasus Knights.  Pegasus Knight raiders who swoop in and steal.  Have them be some of the early-game brigands you fight and have one of your first Peg Knights come from their ranks.

On 2017-07-07 at 10:26 AM, The Geek said:

I recently had an idea for a Jagen-type unit.  How about having them be a Don Quixote-like character?  As in they have bad stats and growths because they are not and never were a fighter, but now have delusions about becoming a knight.

I also had this idea about pirate Pegasus Knights.  Pegasus Knight raiders who swoop in and steal.  Have them be some of the early-game brigands you fight and have one of your first Peg Knights come from their ranks.

Hell yeah, both ideas sound awesome! I'm not sure a Don Quixote-like character would fit in a major role, but it definitely sounds entertaining. It'd also be nice to see different kinds of Pegasus Knights.

8 hours ago, Thane said:

Hell yeah, both ideas sound awesome! I'm not sure a Don Quixote-like character would fit in a major role, but it definitely sounds entertaining. It'd also be nice to see different kinds of Pegasus Knights.

They could be an important official or close family/friend of the main character.  Actually, there's an idea.  Have the main character be the Sancho to the Jagen's Don Quixote.

A unit like Azelle and Elrean (story wise not stat wise) would be a really cool thing, because Azelle being related to Arvis actually makes him one of the more "unique" characters. It's like they were potential villains but for one reason or another (Azelle liking the female cleric which for the life of me I can't remember or Elrean being told by Wendell that the path he was going was the same path Gharnef chose to follow) and they end up being heroes. 

Spoiler

Because Azelle supposedly died a hero (he might have survived), and Elrean became a Bishop instead of a Sage like Merric and Wendell. That type of stuff always makes me be like "Here's a character I like!"

On 07/07/2017 at 5:26 AM, The Geek said:

While not exactly a Jagen, there is a character like that in Tharcia 776.

Back on topic, I would like to see some twists in the classic archetypes. Such as a trio of Pegasus brothers and a female axe wielding duo. A male Manakete that isn't an old man would nice as well. And I also love to see a female villain that isn't a magic user, seriously, other than Petrine and Clarisse, every single major female villain in the series was a magic user.

EDIT: I just remembered that Petrine uses a Flame Lance, which uses the unit's magic stat to deal damage. So really, Clarrise is the only one with no connection to magic.

Edited by Water Mage

I'd like to see more people with preexisting relationships. Some people who are married or had relationships in the past.

More characters to explore the conventions of magic.

A magic seal like Kishuna that is on the run from a magic based society.

A mature woman who is the genderswapped version of the womanizer archetype. Instead of being a hopeless romantic, she'd just know what she wants and goes for it.

A manakete that acts as a guardian for a tribe, watching and protecting them through the generations.

A sickly person that knows their time is limited and wants to contribute something to the world before the end.

I want somebody so socially inept that he ends up being an incoherent mess in their C-Ranks. Could go the easy route and have him engage with an overbearing happy-all-the-time character, or go a bit harder and have him talk with the resident edgelord.

I kind of want a kidnapped character to be forced into the army. Could go the dark route and have the character be kidnapped just to bear a child or something of that nature. Make them proud of who they were before being nabbed, yet distinctly understanding of the situation that they're in.

I want an asshole. Not some 'Heart of Gold' guy, I want somebody who's a legitimate ass to anyone and everyone they interact with that they aren't close to. Could make them the resident edgelord. Only makes friends in the A-rank support.

Also shota manakete after Nils would be nice.

7 hours ago, DaloDask said:

I want somebody so socially inept that he ends up being an incoherent mess in their C-Ranks. Could go the easy route and have him engage with an overbearing happy-all-the-time character, or go a bit harder and have him talk with the resident edgelord.

I kind of want a kidnapped character to be forced into the army. Could go the dark route and have the character be kidnapped just to bear a child or something of that nature. Make them proud of who they were before being nabbed, yet distinctly understanding of the situation that they're in.

I want an asshole. Not some 'Heart of Gold' guy, I want somebody who's a legitimate ass to anyone and everyone they interact with that they aren't close to. Could make them the resident edgelord. Only makes friends in the A-rank support.

Also shota manakete after Nils would be nice.

I believe these type characters have already appeared in Fire Emblem.

Lute and Miriel are both socially inept, even on their C-support. And if are shy characters you are talking about, Sakura and Florina can barely hold a conversation with some characters on their C-Support.

While she did join willingly, Jill's base conversation with Ike could imply that she is sort of a prisoner. 

And there already was an asshole character that isn't a "jerk with a heart of gold", but a genuine asshole. Lifis from Tharcia 776.

10 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I believe these type characters have already appeared in Fire Emblem.

Lute and Miriel are both socially inept, even on their C-support. And if are shy characters you are talking about, Sakura and Florina can barely hold a conversation with some characters on their C-Support.

While she did join willingly, Jill's base conversation with Ike could imply that she is sort of a prisoner. 

And there already was an asshole character that isn't a "jerk with a heart of gold", but a genuine asshole. Lifis from Tharcia 776.

But this isn't a conversation about what NEW types of characters you would want to see in the Switch FE, just what characters you'd like to see.

And in this regard, citing somebody from nearly 10 games ago kinda shows how few characters fit into that archetype.

I kind of just want to see what spin they'll put on these types of characters. We've seen previous spins, but to be honest, Lute and Miriel are not the type of characters I'm thinking of when I think socially inept.

I mean utterly, absurdly socially inept, not in a 'I'm a genius and can't talk with the normies well' kind of way, or the 'So shy it's painful' kind of way, I mean the 'I'm a normie with a knack for something but am fucking terrible at talking to people because small talk is suffering.' kind.

On 07/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, Water Mage said:

Also Azama from Fates.

30 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Also Azama from Fates.

Azama's jerkassery comes from his complete and utter lack of giving a fuck and his absurdist view on life. There's also the fact that, despite being kind of a dick when it comes to conversations, he doesn't do things that are openly malicious in nature, only in the manner of 'This'll be entertaining, I suppose'.

It IS a twist on the idea of a character who acts the part of the ass, but not in the blatantly malicious 'I care/love only myself, unless you've got a fine ass I'm not bothering' kind of way.

Then again, I suppose it would be hard for a player to like or empathise with a character so blatantly dickish unless he also came packaged with a 'Leash' character.

6 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

Azama's jerkassery comes from his complete and utter lack of giving a fuck and his absurdist view on life. There's also the fact that, despite being kind of a dick when it comes to conversations, he doesn't do things that are openly malicious in nature, only in the manner of 'This'll be entertaining, I suppose'.

It IS a twist on the idea of a character who acts the part of the ass, but not in the blatantly malicious 'I care/love only myself, unless you've got a fine ass I'm not bothering' kind of way.

Then again, I suppose it would be hard for a player to like or empathise with a character so blatantly dickish unless he also came packaged with a 'Leash' character.

Sounds like it fits your criteria. Being a jerk because the reactions of others amuses you is little different from malice. If Azama x Sakura isn't enough to convince you that he's a petty asshole, I don't know what else will. 

Azama was over the line and he felt out of place as a royal retainer. The question you have to ask for characters like these is, would anyone even want to interact with them up to an A support?

Characters that are ruthless, and end up winning because they were right to take actions that are normally viewed as immoral or harsh. Could be an enemy, or it could be an ally or perhaps both--depends all on the story.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Sounds like it fits your criteria. Being a jerk because the reactions of others amuses you is little different from malice. If Azama x Sakura isn't enough to convince you that he's a petty asshole, I don't know what else will. 

Azama was over the line and he felt out of place as a royal retainer. The question you have to ask for characters like these is, would anyone even want to interact with them up to an A support?

The difference is that Azama does it because he's bored. This hypothetical complete asshole does it because he legitimately wants to see the person he's interacting with suffer. He wishes to revel in the destruction of everything they hold dear. They're a complete asshole, through and through, is the variety of character I wish to see as a playable character. We see it as a villain all the time, but I want to see them try and make such a character any kind of sympathetic.

Azama's a troll. This other guy's a super-buff dude who will talk shit to your face and drink your salty tears, caring about approximately three people at all.

If you just include:

- A lord that's awesome and not gullible, like Hector

- A right hand-man that's reliable as Jeigan/Marcus

- A mother-like character that's as caring as Camilla Titania

- A red-green duo as enigmatic as Sain&Kent

- A manakete that's not another loli or geezer, like Yahn

- A triangle attacking trio in any form that's not a pegasus trio again

- An ally who constantly harries the lord character, motivating him to get better, like Shinon

- An recurring antagonist who parallels the lord character, like Berkut

- A major antagonist that's as unrelenting as Zephiel and/or as charismatic as Ashnard

There's a great game in the making already!

Just go less Awakening/Fates, more Echoes, including the story importance of more than a handful of characters and I'll be golden.

• 3 weeks later...

I really want an old priest who acts like your vietnam veteran grandfather, he's seen shit and he is perpetually angry at everyone and even if you gave him no reason to be angry he will find a reason, he could clash with the resident young jerk in the group, the main lord and the kinda nice mercenary, he likes to tell war stories and sounds like he smoked constantly during the war. 

I would also like another character like Mist, a younger sibling to the protagonist who remains plot relevant. Hopefully we can have a steammey incestous ending where they elope, but that is just me trying to make everyone uncomfortable. I wish Ike and Mist had an ending.

But let's not have a character like Ike, not that I don't like Ike, but I don't trust IS to write a character like that again without either being just a pallet swapped ike or completely lost why people liked Ike to begin with.

I honestly feel like the whole genderswapped archetypes angle that I've seen so much of here is a bit unoriginal.

It's easier to name the concepts I don't want to see - I never ever want to see another "Reimagined" child character who are carbon copies of popular characters from the last game, right down to the appearances and names being scrambled.

Also, no more "I'm just a kid but I can kick butt like an adult!" characters.

I want more Yaoi/Yuri options because they missed an opportunity with Silas (Became a soldier to find Corrin again, which sounds like the basis of a typical BL story if your Corrin is a dude) and Soleil (Don't need to explain this one). Also, I prefer if both options weren't evil jerks (Niles is alright. Can't stand Rhajat and I wish Soleil was the Yuri option instead.)

Dynamic characters. I don't want characters who just show off one trait and that's all they have throughout the entire game. I want to see them grow and change, like real people.

As for types, I would like to see a scribe of some kind. Someone who would be following us around and writing the story as we play. In the end of the game, we could see what he wrote about us, and our relationship and others with him would determine how they were remembered in history!

What is wish  to see is a moody Pegasus Knight  who doesn't get enough sleep. To constast there is a  young, friendly draco knight that wishes to see the world. To differ from  the usual nice girl Pegasus Knight , and grim draco knight.

The first healer in the game is actually leading bandits, that just pretends to be captured to get on the lord good side when being recruited.

A female pirate berseker that is the leader of a pirate nation. That has a flirty, laid back personality just to mess with people. Where in order to pass onward, the lord has to sing some silly pirate songs.

Edited by Jingle Jangle