Breath of the Wild-Master Mode

Dai

My Switch is arriving on Sunday, and I have my copy of BotW already. I've beaten the game already on Wii U and am sitting at about 80% completion. I can't wait to replay and get destroyed on Master Mode, the footage I've seen has people struggling to even defeat the first Blue Bokoblin they encountered. I doubt anyone can defeat that Lynel at the start of the game, even with all the weapons available on the Great Plateau.

I've also heard there is a Gold Lynel somewhere else on the Great Plateau, can anyone here confirm?

Edited by DragonLord

I've scoured the  Great plateau over.  Unless it replaced the white Lynel, there isn't another in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine they would put a Gold Lynel there. It would be pointless considering the White Lynel is more then enough to kill you in one shot.

Anyway, I'm just about to leave the Great Plateau and so far this mode is a bit of a mixed bag. On the other hand the stronger opposition forces you to be more clever since the direct approach doesn't work all that well. But by upgrading all the enemies they are also amplifying a problem from the base game, that the HP of enemies increases at such a rate that a lot of ways to hurt them become quickly worthless. Those blue Boklins at the very start are already so tough that an explosive barrel barely puts a dent into them. Not to mention that by the time you can close the distance between them and you, they will already have healed must of the damage.

Not sure what the deal with those floating platforms is. So far they haven't been a threat at all.

So, I won't actually be doing Master mode, but I would like to ask for help on something. You guys remember the one puzzle Kass gives you in the Faron Woods area to find a shrine? I can't figure it out. I've done the others so far, but this one has me stumped entirely. Kass's song riddle says something about a shrine being at a serpent's jaws, but I can't find what this means at all. Can someone help me here? I've looked and looked.

I could also look it up online myself, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about that.

There's a shrine hidden inside a building shaped like a serpent with its mouth open. From Faron Tower, look North-West towards Dracozu Lake. That's where it is. Bring Farosh's Scale.

Edited by Dai

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

There's a shrine hidden inside a building shaped like a serpent with its mouth open. From Faron Tower, look North-West towards Dracozu Lake. That's where it is. Bring Farosh's Scale.

Oh, okay, gotcha. I'm not sure if I have that scale... I have that thunder dragon's scale, but no other scales.

10 minutes ago, Dai said:

If it's the Thunder Dragon, it's Farosh. The scales have names in the inventories.

Yeah, I know. I just couldn't remember the name.

Gotta say, the way they changed those walker Guardians is kinda... trollish. One of their legs now has several times as much HP as the other ones. Fortunately they are still as vulnerable to ancient weapons as always. But it seems like now I have to keep one of those around just to be prepared.

Btw, does anyone happen to know some good strategies to deal with them without severing the legs first?

Edited by BrightBow

Ancient Arrows are the only way I've been able to kill them easily. Two shots and bam.

Speaking of which though, I got a REALLY great picture of one of the moving guardians. I love this picture so much. :P I took it for that one shrine quest that requires you to show pictures of three kinds of guardians to this girl who otherwise won't let go of the orb you need to make the shrine appear. It's cute how she called it Roscoe. lol Though when I think of the name Roscoe, I remember the rat character of the same name from The Tale of Despereaux.

I also have two more shrine-related things I'm trying to figure out again.

First: I need another kind of scale to put in the Spring of Power, like how you needed Farosh's Scale for the Spring of Courage. I think it's Dinaal's Scale or something like that this time. But I can't find any other dragon. I've looked all over the Eldin and Akkala areas for one. I've not seen any dragons in any other part of Hyrule other than Farosh either.

Second: I found a spot where a shrine orb has to go, but I can't find the orb. It's near the fairy fountain in the wooded area past Kakariko Village. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

For Dinraal's Scale, go to the stable by the Great Tabantha Bridge, and sit by a campfire until morning. Go midway across the bridge, and Dinraal will be flying by from the north.

As for Kakariko, the orb is in Impa's home. You need to complete all the quests in Kakariko, first. The one you're most likely to miss is the girl outside Kakariko's clothing shop. Follow her to her home at night and talk to her, and she should give it to you. There's a journal in Impa's house by the front door that has more details.

Edited by Dai

1 hour ago, Dai said:

For Dinraal's Scale, go to the stable by the Great Tabantha Bridge, and sit by a campfire until morning. Go midway across the bridge, and Dinraal will be flying by from the north.

As for Kakariko, the orb is in Impa's home. You need to complete all the quests in Kakariko, first. The one you're most likely to miss is the girl outside Kakariko's clothing shop. Follow her to her home at night and talk to her, and she should give it to you. There's a journal in Impa's house by the front door that has more details.

Ah, okay. Thanks, Dai. Dinraal's Scale is the only shrine quest I have left on my current list. Though I'm sure there are still more I could be adding there. :P

On 7/21/2017 at 4:27 PM, BrightBow said:

Gotta say, the way they changed those walker Guardians is kinda... trollish. One of their legs now has several times as much HP as the other ones. Fortunately they are still as vulnerable to ancient weapons as always. But it seems like now I have to keep one of those around just to be prepared.

Btw, does anyone happen to know some good strategies to deal with them without severing the legs first?

I got pretty proficient with shield reflecting their laser beams in Normal Mode, so I attempted it on a moving Guardian in Master Mode. Turns out they sometimes delay the laser, so I was thrown off and I got killed reflecting at the wrong moment. That, and even when I reflected successfully, they regenerate health quickly. Guardians definitely got much harder in Master Mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I found ONE thing about Skyward Sword that I prefer over Breath of the Wild. Having the ability to roll your bombs would be pretty handy than simply throwing it or dropping it, and letting the wind blow it around or kicking it from there.

So now that I beat the four divine beasts and Ganon I feel confident in saying that this mode is kinda lacking considering that it's DLC. The game doesn't really do anything other then upgrading the grunts to the next level. And even then they are not as dangerous as one would think since their weapons aren't upgraded along with them. So all this means is that enemies take longer to kill and that weapon durability becomes more of an issue. Which are two things that were already annoying in the base game.

Still, it was a lot of fun to be able to play this game again from the very beginning. But now I can finally start my "skip-the-Sheikah-Slate-run". It's gonna be interesting to play this game without the map. After all, there is no reason to ever get truly familiar with the environment if you can just teleport all over the place.

Edited by BrightBow

15 hours ago, BrightBow said:

So now that I beat the four divine beasts and Ganon I feel confident in saying that this mode is kinda lacking considering that it's DLC. The game doesn't really do anything other then upgrading the grunts to the next level. And even then they are not as dangerous as one would think since their weapons aren't upgraded along with them. So all this means is that enemies take longer to kill and that weapon durability becomes more of an issue. Which are two things that were already annoying in the base game.

Still, it was a lot of fun to be able to play this game again from the very beginning. But now I can finally start my "skip-the-Sheikah-Slate-run". It's gonna be interesting to play this game without the map. After all, there is no reason to ever get truly familiar with the environment if you can just teleport all over the place.

I find Master Mode is just something that makes early game difficulty even harder, it's the same pretty much later on when you have powerful weapons that don't break as often.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_7287.jpgCompleted the Trial of the Sword. The Beginning is a pain in the ass, the Middle wasn't as bad, and the Final was surprisingly easy. I loathed the dark segments of the Middle, though.

Edited by Dai

12 hours ago, Dai said:

IMG_7287.jpgCompleted the Trial of the Sword. The Beginning is a pain in the ass, the Middle wasn't as bad, and the Final was surprisingly easy. I loathed the dark segments of the Middle, though.

Congrats man, I beat it on Master Mode about a month ago myself. Floor 10 of the Beginning Trials is an absolute nightmare, those two Silver Lizalfos can burn in hell for eternity. The Middle Trials were decent, and I found the Final Trials to be the easiest, due to better weapons, and the over abundance of Ancient Arrows. Like seriously, you can get rid of the Lynels and most of the Guardians, and have some left to spare. On top of that, you get so many Fairies. All around a great time though, looking forward to DLC Pack 2.

Edited by DragonLord

• 2 months later...

Right, so...the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 free DLC is out, but that's not what I'm posting about. I've noticed something...unusual with the game. It might just be master mode, but it feels like Link's been getting hit more often. Like...either the enemies are more aggressive, or simply touching them instigates a damaging hitbox, even if they aren't attacking, which I don't recall. I went from full to defeat in seconds, which usually never happens. Anyone else noticing something unusual?

Edit: Even freakier was walking into my house and having the weapons I'd hung up on the walls take several seconds to load into view.

Edited by Dai