Photobucket, what...??

Xenomic

So, I just noticed this today with my avatar's image being not the usual "Cannot find image" thing (for whatever reason) and being something else entirely. And so I went to my site, just to check some things and noticed...a lot of my images are just not available anymore. They're THERE, but they're not there. Turns out Photobucket is being even MORE crappier than usual...

5534a4c4b051089f609f1a3e9b4901f0.png

Like seriously??? Now you're going to make people PAY to show images on sites now? Like...normally I wouldn't even bother bringing up topics like this at all, but this is just...wtf. I'm just wondering if anyone else that uses the site still has noticed this at all with images and the like. Worst part is, it's not even all images, it's just most of them, and pretty random at that. Like what??? Why??? Yes, I realize I could probably move anything that I use on Photobucket to elsewhere and whatnot, but christ the coding fixing I'll have to do for each of my site's pages.... Best part is, they pretty much block the image out with that message, so even if you WANTED to view it and save it, NOPE! It's blocked behind a paywall now!!!

Edited by Xenomic

Christ. I've hated Photobucket for a long time since it's literally impossible to view their images on mobile devices (it spends like 3 minutes loading ads and the image ultimately never even shows up, not that you'd be able to see it at the standard zoom anyway), and yet I somehow continue to be impressed that they find new ways to make their service even worse.

Of course, if this means that fewer people dare to waste my time with pointless Photobucket links then I'm all the happier for it.

2 hours ago, Xenomic said:

So, I just noticed this today with my avatar's image being not the usual "Cannot find image" thing (for whatever reason) and being something else entirely. And so I went to my site, just to check some things and noticed...a lot of my images are just not available anymore. They're THERE, but they're not there. Turns out Photobucket is being even MORE crappier than usual...

5534a4c4b051089f609f1a3e9b4901f0.png

Like seriously??? Now you're going to make people PAY to show images on sites now? Like...normally I wouldn't even bother bringing up topics like this at all, but this is just...wtf. I'm just wondering if anyone else that uses the site still has noticed this at all with images and the like. Worst part is, it's not even all images, it's just most of them, and pretty random at that. Like what??? Why??? Yes, I realize I could probably move anything that I use on Photobucket to elsewhere and whatnot, but christ the coding fixing I'll have to do for each of my site's pages.... Best part is, they pretty much block the image out with that message, so even if you WANTED to view it and save it, NOPE! It's blocked behind a paywall now!!!

That's 3rd Party hosting, dude.

Money is what they want.

About the random images you mention, I think that because they got the most view, and not a random thing.

Edited by hanhnn

3 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

Use Imgur!

Imgur does work fine, but it's disappointing how much focus they put on the community. I don't want to see any frontpage content, yet I have to go through it every time I use the app.

Alright, so I too a look.

Apparently all my images are unaffected (which is weird), but I think I'll switch anyway: Seems like a serious attempt to cashgrab and they might be in trouble now.

5 hours ago, hanhnn said:

That's 3rd Party hosting, dude.

Money is what they want.

About the random images you mention, I think that because they got the most view, and not a random thing.

That's the reality of image hosting nowadays.

Also, Imgur can block websites from showing images hosted there if they discover if said sites are hogging bandwidth. Metroid Construction, a site whose forums I lurk on, was blocked by them.

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

Imgur does work fine, but it's disappointing how much focus they put on the community. I don't want to see any frontpage content, yet I have to go through it every time I use the app.

What do you exactly mean with that?
Isn't this the case everywhere?

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I used Photobucket because of the large storage space, and kept my large ass gifs on imgur since they used to have a storage limit. Now there's zero reason to go back.

PB has a low storage actually - at least at the time when I used it.
When I used it for doing screenshot LPs I reached the capacity limit very early so I had to wait for an entire month till I could continue.
The main reason why I switched to imgur because it has no storage limit.

1 hour ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

What do you exactly mean with that?
Isn't this the case everywhere?

What I mean is that I prefer an image posting site that lets you post images for personal use rather than a community posting content with upvotes and the like.

You can use imgur that way, but it's inconvenient for me how the app takes you to the frontpage when you open it and I have to see content I do not want to see. 

That being said, postimage looks nice to use at a glance.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Rezzy's Sig 2017, Never Forget

Please remove/fix it, since that placeholder is ugly as hell.

For people on mobile using imgur, request the desktop site.  I refuse to download their app.

As for the topic, RIP Photobucket.

Edited by eclipse

Well, at least there's a method of saving your images, but it's cumbersome as all get out (go to image, click the magnifying glass, image should show up if site works properly, then go Right Click > View Image > Save Image and viola! Still, REALLY stupid that's how you have to get around the placeholder image and whatnot...). But yeah, at this point this is blackmail...

Also, Imgur totally doesn't allow for third-party hosting. It states it in their Terms.

There's a difference between uploading a picture to share, and third-party hosting.  Imgur was created because reddit kept overwhelming other image sites with their traffic, hence why uploading a picture there and sharing it should be okay.  Putting all your website's assets on imgur is a no-go.

I suppose that is true, aye. Pretty much everything on my site is hosted on Photobucket because 250 MB server space which isn't a whole lot to work with (that and I don't know if they'd allow me to put a good portion of the images I want on there. No, it's nothing THAT bad. Just a loooot of pixel art stuff and the like). I already use Imgur for all of my manakete stuff, so I know it's fine in that regards (though wish there was a nicer way to work with their albums...but at least it doesn't just randomize the images in said albums whenever you upload a new image like say...Photobucket did...).

7 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

PB has a low storage actually - at least at the time when I used it.
When I used it for doing screenshot LPs I reached the capacity limit very early so I had to wait for an entire month till I could continue.
The main reason why I switched to imgur because it has no storage limit.

Oh yeah, PB used to have a bandwidth limit for linking images. However, they removed that a long time ago, and gave everyone 10 GB of free storage, in exchange for the site becoming ad hell. Now they're just taking away linking unless you pay lol. While still keeping the 10 billion ads on there.

Before imgur did away with its Pro membership, non-paying members could only access 100 uploaded images at a time; you can upload a 101th picture, but then you'd lose access to the first one you uploaded (no linking etc.). However, they began letting people upload huge gifs with seemingly no size limit, which no other image hosting site did, so I had to be stingy with those 100 slots. Apparently they did away with the Pro membership in 2015, but I wasn't aware until recently because I had very little use for image hosting from 2015 to 2016.

That's kind of dumb that Photobucket went with the paid route because it caused ImageShack. As for alternates, I don't even know what is an alternate these days because I'm out of the loop with image hosting.

9 hours ago, Gemma said:

What I mean is that I prefer an image posting site that lets you post images for personal use rather than a community posting content with upvotes and the like.

You can use imgur that way, but it's inconvenient for me how the app takes you to the frontpage when you open it and I have to see content I do not want to see. 

That being said, postimage looks nice to use at a glance.

Ah, I get it now.

Yeah, I find it a bit uncomfortable too that your images on imgur aren't private. 

3 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Oh yeah, PB used to have a bandwidth limit for linking images. However, they removed that a long time ago, and gave everyone 10 GB of free storage, in exchange for the site becoming ad hell. Now they're just taking away linking unless you pay lol. While still keeping the 10 billion ads on there.

Before imgur did away with its Pro membership, non-paying members could only access 100 uploaded images at a time; you can upload a 101th picture, but then you'd lose access to the first one you uploaded (no linking etc.). However, they began letting people upload huge gifs with seemingly no size limit, which no other image hosting site did, so I had to be stingy with those 100 slots. Apparently they did away with the Pro membership in 2015, but I wasn't aware until recently because I had very little use for image hosting from 2015 to 2016.

Huh, PB removed the bandwidth!?

Anyways it's worth nothing for the mentioned exchange.
PB just wanted the money, and non members had a real bad time there.

Editing one single image on PB was a mess despite I believe PB had more editing options than imgur.

51 minutes ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

Huh, PB removed the bandwidth!?

Anyways it's worth nothing for the mentioned exchange.
PB just wanted the money, and non members had a real bad time there.

Editing one single image on PB was a mess despite I believe PB had more editing options than imgur.

Yeah, Photobucket is just ridiculous. It's like they're not paying attention to what's going on in the internet, since their business model is stupid and clearly not working if they have to restrict basic stuff like embedding for money. I think they actually got DDoSed or something yesterday, since I had a lot of trouble getting on their site to check how much storage they gave.