What it looks like to absolutely hate FE14

Gruntagen

14 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:

Ah. I have it, actually:

https://pastebin.com/e5fpH6m6

I will admit that the C and B parts still may be....off-putting, but the A and S parts are really good. Honestly I'm probably making it a bigger deal than it is, so I apologize if that's the case.

Nice.

I think that may be the case for a lot of the supports. I just briefly read through the Laslow x Mozu support, and, while I'm not sure if it's the translator taking liberties, they have Mozu speaking with a Cockney accent. I'm caught between horror and amusement as I keep imagining Yangus from DQ8 speaking.

I believe she likely spoke with a Japanese dialect that is difficult to translate well into English, but I feel like we often forget that, just as there were supports that were made worse in the English version, there were indeed some that were made a bit better as well.

Edited by saisymbolic
grammar

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Slumber said:

I won't argue the second part(I think compared to the game it followed, which seems to have a cast people LOVE, it has the stronger cast), but I really don't think any other story in the franchise can be picked apart like Fates'.

The badness of Fates' story is so unique, even in the context of the franchise. Some games have boring stories(The Archanea games) or stories that go nowhere for dozens of hours(Sacred Stones), but nothing is flat out... baffling like Fates' story is.

That said, I hate how the person in the link is presenting their gripes.

I can never really tell which is more popular cast wise. I want to say Awakening but I don't know for sure.

7 hours ago, spiderbrush said:

Ah. I have it, actually:

https://pastebin.com/e5fpH6m6

I will admit that the C and B parts still may be....off-putting, but the A and S parts are really good. Honestly I'm probably making it a bigger deal than it is, so I apologize if that's the case.

Thank you for pulling it.

Actually, I do like this a bit more...  Then again, it's competing with what was pretty much already trite.  The B support reminds me a lot of Robin x Tharja's B support with Rhajat trying to act like a "normal girl" and it freaking the avatar out, but... it seemed just better done.  And the A support brought out more of what I like about Rhajat over Tharja, and it made the (much better done) S support feel more natural.

7 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

Nice.

I think that may be the case for a lot of the supports. I just briefly read through the Laslow x Mozu support, and, while I'm not sure if it's the translator taking liberties, they have Mozu speaking with a Cockney accent. I'm caught between horror and amusement as I keep imagining Yangus from DQ8 speaking.

I believe she likely spoke with a Japanese dialect that is difficult to translate well into English, but I feel like we often forget that, just as there were supports that were made worse in the English version, there were indeed some that were made a bit better as well.

I actually remember reading through one of Mozu's supports...  Holy hell, was it weird.  She didn't ever pronounce H's, and would always replace "of" with "o" which didn't always flow well.

Also while I was looking for Rhajat x Corrin, I came upon Niles x M!Corrin...  That one was nice as well.  I don't know why Treehouse felt the need to remove the unique gay supports and replace them with shared ones...

7 hours ago, 1japanfan said:

I can never really tell which is more popular cast wise. I want to say Awakening but I don't know for sure.

I think it's difficult to discern because you've got so many more characters in Fates.  I do think that no matter how "bad" they are, each character has their own following.  I suppose what it really comes down to is how many people bought which games.

I do think Fates slightly edges out Awakening just because it has two solid major characters (the younger royal brothers), though then again Chrom and Robin are significantly better than Azura and Corrin, so...  I'll say it's a draw for now.

48 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also while I was looking for Rhajat x Corrin, I came upon Niles x M!Corrin...  That one was nice as well.  I don't know why Treehouse felt the need to remove the unique gay supports and replace them with shared ones...

My guess is because--at least with Rhajat--at one point during the S support, she said she wished she was a man. To Treehouse, that might have come across as homophobic, but...they could have removed only that part, and everything would have been fine. Getting rid of the entire Support was...pretty unnecessary.

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I don't know why Treehouse felt the need to remove the unique gay supports and replace them with shared ones...

My best guess is they felt that they might have been pushing things just by having same-sex S-Supports in the game to begin with and decided to try and make it as small of a change from the regular S-Supports as possible. There's also the fact that NoA insists on treating its audience as if they're way more sheltered than NoJ does for theirs. Personally, I'm not complaining because I don't really care - I don't really want RhajatxFCorrin or NilesxMCorrin but I'm not going to freak out about the pairings because I can just not S-Support Rhajat or Niles easy - but it is troublesome when localization removes…anything, really, with some few exceptions.

Why do you think it was deliberate removal instead of laziness and/or human error? 

Also, why do people get upset at the Nintendogs feature getting removed when it was just disgusting?

Edited by Gruntagen

On July 1, 2017 at 10:28 PM, I'm a Spheal said:

Don't be an asshole about your opinion and enforce your dislike for game like people on this site do when it's uncalled for and you should be fine. 

Cheers  

On July 2, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Ronnie said:

I will never understand how people can be so passionate about hating a game. I can't see where they get the energy to write a "1-page" essay about their dislike for the story or its gameplay or how a fanfic has a better story. I guess it doesn't mean much coming from an indifferent person such as myself. I don't hold many strong opinions unless I really like something then I could write a whole paragraph about why I like Fire Emblem Awakening. Reading that linked comment reminds me of several comments I read on Youtube comments or GameFAQs discussions. I've even read people saying they cringe at the thought of reading Fire Emblem Fates's title or its characters names like how???

Yeah, i dunno. I find it extremely unhealthy to dwell that much on something like this. It's ultimately not that important in the grand scheme of things, ya know? I understand being disappointed, or really disliking a game. But literally going on and on about it? Even attacking other people in posts about it? Ruining other people's fun? Come on, grow up. I hate Final Fantasy VIII a lot but if someone enjoys it (and i know many who do. That and Kingdom Hearts which i loathe) im just gonna be like "cool, dude." Im certainly not gonna bring other people down just cuz i dislike that. 

Also, why do people get upset at the Nintendogs feature getting removed when it was just disgusting

Whether its gross or not, is subjective. But the fact the people calling it super gross, were the same people screaming about its removal/modification, bothered the fuck out of me. It's hypocritical to cry about how nasty or undesirable a feature was, and then do the proverbial equivalent of tossing poo at everything when its removed. H o l y  s h i t. "It's removing content! It's censorship!" But, its like, they hated the feature to begin with, wtf do they even care? Ugh. 

Anyway, OP, the way you stop yourself from getting as bad as the tosspot in that link, or some of the more bitter people around these parts? Well, my tactic was to stop caring about it and play the game if you feel like it. If you dont feel like playing it, dont. Come up for air. Maybe put it down and play something else. Get into another game in the series, maybe? Either way, it boils down to not putting that much energy into the negative. Good luck, mate. 

4 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Whether its gross or not, is subjective. But the fact the people calling it super gross, were the same people screaming about its removal/modification, bothered the fuck out of me. It's hypocritical to cry about how nasty or undesirable a feature was, and then do the proverbial equivalent of tossing poo at everything when its removed. H o l y  s h i t. "It's removing content! It's censorship!" But, its like, they hated the feature to begin with, wtf do they even care? Ugh. 

I don't really think that's hypocritical. You can hold the principle that you wouldn't want anything removed from the original design without the original developers guidance and then still be upset that something is really dumb. It's kind of, to a much lesser extent, the principle that free speech should be for even speech that you don't like. I would want something to remain in its original form (in terms of features, not necessarily remake convenience changes or such) even if I didn't like it - if it's that big a deal, I won't buy/play it. Most people thought it was pretty dumb, but I don't know why they would put that in just to remove it in international release - just made it more tumultuous, and they (localisation) didn't exactly convey its removal well (or at all). That said, even if I did dislike it, I'm ignoring the people who went overboard with it even if they already didn't like it.

Edited by Tryhard

I don't really hate Fates, but regardless the biggest flaw of Fire Emblem Fates is the fact that the current forging and to some extent mess hall exist, and this almost ruined the entire game for me

Like holy fuck, is it THAT hard to spot how fucking dumb those are? Yes, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery Forge is broken, and it was pretty dumb in Awakening, guess what?

1. The "balancing" system they implemented literally does NOTHING

2. They already fixed the issue in previous iteration of forging with pretty much everything Conquest added

For as many flaw Awakening had, this kind of flaw is something it never have.

Edited by JSND

On 7/1/2017 at 9:43 PM, Slumber said:

I won't argue the second part(I think compared to the game it followed, which seems to have a cast people LOVE, it has the stronger cast), but I really don't think any other story in the franchise can be picked apart like Fates'.

The badness of Fates' story is so unique, even in the context of the franchise. Some games have boring stories(The Archanea games) or stories that go nowhere for dozens of hours(Sacred Stones), but nothing is flat out... baffling like Fates' story is.

That said, I hate how the person in the link is presenting their gripes.

I agree with you a lot. No game in isolation is as bad as Fates, or even within the context of the FE Universe. I do think that when comparing casts, there's not much to say from FE1-12 since really characters didn't even had a voice or dialogue. I think that Fates are the least forgettable even if you hate them just because they have a looot more screen time.

On 9.7.2017 at 11:58 PM, MeDicenWera said:

I agree with you a lot. No game in isolation is as bad as Fates, or even within the context of the FE Universe. I do think that when comparing casts, there's not much to say from FE1-12 since really characters didn't even had a voice or dialogue. I think that Fates are the least forgettable even if you hate them just because they have a looot more screen time.

If you're talking about Corrin, Octopus and the Royals, then yes, they do have a lot more screen time, whether that's for the better or worse, I'd rather not say, though chances are you know my opinion on the subject, since I WAS an asshole about it (still disgusted at myself for that). The other characters were sadly just as throwaway as in past games, the only difference being that everyone could support with pretty much everyone in Fates.
Though I'd argue that only very few of them are memorable, some for all the wrong reasons, others are a part of what I still like about the game.

As someone who was in the illusion of liking Fates in its entirety because I DESPERATELY wanted to like it, I have since come around to loathing most of it, due to how much of a disappointment it ultimately ended up being. Bad story, horrid writing and awful, awful focus characters (that's what I call characters that get a lot of / most screentime) aside, the game itself, Conquest especially in my opinion, is incredibly unfair, most maps are gimmicky as hell or just not memorable enough - or, like some characters, memorable for all the wrong reasons - and character balance is utter bullplop, especially in Revelation. In Conquest's case, the fact that the game becomes almost unwinnable if you don't use certain characters (a.k.a. Royals) goes against everything past Fire Emblems have taught me: except for your main lord, whom you have to field for very obvious reasons, you can use any character and beat the game just fine on Normal and Hard difficulty settings (I discount any Lunatic modes, since I never bothered to touch those), which, for me, is Fire Emblem's main appeal and makes it replayable in the first place. Birthright, to an extent, gives you that freedom, Conquest and Revelation on the other hand, don't.

I really REALLY wanted to like Fates. I really did. I even lied myself into liking it, defending its crappy story, even.
But now, the only parts that I can even remotely like are the music (except for that one song that's grating on my ears like nails on a chalkboard - which isn't the singer's fault. Rena Strober's voice is beautiful, it's just that the song itself is not that good that is to say crap), the overall character design (with two conveniently both blue haired major and some minor exceptions) and a small portion of the cast.

I'm not saying liking Fates is a bad thing, mind you. I'm just saying why I started to dislike it. Maybe I always disliked it but I was too dumb / stubborn to admit it? I honestly have no clue anymore...

Edited by DragonFlames

On Thursday, July 06, 2017 at 1:45 PM, JSND said:

I don't really hate Fates, but regardless the biggest flaw of Fire Emblem Fates is the fact that the current forging and to some extent mess hall exist, and this almost ruined the entire game for me

Like holy fuck, is it THAT hard to spot how fucking dumb those are? Yes, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery Forge is broken, and it was pretty dumb in Awakening, guess what?

1. The "balancing" system they implemented literally does NOTHING

2. They already fixed the issue in previous iteration of forging with pretty much everything Conquest added

For as many flaw Awakening had, this kind of flaw is something it never have.

Mess hall would be alright if it didn't stack with tonics imo.

My only gripe is how rediculously OP my castle visiting is.

Edited by joshcja

52 minutes ago, joshcja said:

Mess hall would be alright if it didn't stack with tonics imo.

My only gripe is how rediculously OP my castle visiting is.

The dumbest thing about Mess Hall is more because they took it to the irrelevant -> inconvenient system. All they really need to do is balance it do like from start to ch. 14, 1 stats. To ch 22, 2 stats. 23 - Endgame 2 stats allows mixing. 

Slapping an ingredient system basically makes it a grind for no reason. Same with forging and their dreaded gem system

And worst of all they cant even use excuse that "Odin would be unfair" because you need dupe to forge D Rank Siegfried anyway

Edited by JSND