Old tempest thread, plz delet

V-raptor

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Major means 5⋆-locked? Where did this terminology come from?

It's been my preferred use for a while. I... don't know if the concept has caught on.

Regardless, is failing Lunatic still better? I'm having fun on Hard. (Also, I need slightly less than 100 runs now that the top reward's been knocked down, which I think I'm still good to meet anyway...)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My final match-up was Celica, Gordin, Abel, Fir, and Tharja.
Team: Ryoma, Ninian, Reinhardt, Tharja.

Let's say people died by a lot of lightning bolts.

I would have had a perfect run first time, but my x1.4 bonus unit is Boey and he's not fully trained or 5*. I'll just do the "surrender with bonus and switch to best team" approach. I'll suffer minor points each time that will stack up, but there's no way my Boey will be built more optimally with Tempest Trials sapping the stamina. I would have made him a physical tank (+Def/-Res) with Gronnraven, Bonfire, Reciprocal Aid to couple with the Renewal he comes with. A niche healer of sorts.

Tharja's more consistent as a healer, however. Even if it means I need to position her and the ally properly.

Just now, Korath88 said:

And yes, I did end up sacrificing Boey to make healer Alm.

My Boey is scared.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

It's been my preferred use for a while. I... don't know if the concept has caught on.

I think you're the only person who uses that terminology.

It also seems weird that you'd call the 5-star-exclusive skill "major" when I think "major" is "something you are more proficient at at any given point in time" and therefore the skill that caps at 4-star rarity.

I realized the moment I started the first map that I had forgotten to teach Draw Back to Tharja and Reposition to Cecilia. But I still got a perfect score anyways, so all's well.

Also, I assume it's coincidence, but I had Athena spawn on the final map in the infantry melee position, just like in the screenshot.

I'll try again more in the morning...it's super late (err, early?) for me, and I really goofed up my final map on my second attempt (I beat it my first try, but not...super well). Losing on the second level lunatic with only a 20% unit gets you only ~115 points. That's...pretty low. Guess I'll just stick to the higher lunatic...luckily the new seal's a whole 10k lower, so I won't have to stress about it as much~

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I think you're the only person who uses that terminology.

It also seems weird that you'd call the 5-star-exclusive skill "major" when I think "major" is "something you are more proficient at at any given point in time" and therefore the skill that caps at 4-star rarity.

Honestly, makes sense, especially when you consider that what is now known as the 'minor' is also the more desirable.

I just use the terminology as shorthand. I frequently find myself considering at which rarity level 3 skills are unlocked, and having a way to say it without typing the whole thing is helpful. Especially since I change the way I say the long form all the time.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Especially since I change the way I say the long form all the time.

But muh consistency.

I think I’m the only one here who refers to natures with Awakening’s term “assets and flaws”. Many call them “boons and banes” à la Fates.
Then again, I’ve never played Pokémon, so both “natures” and “individual values” are just words for me.

This tempest is a lot easier.  Much improved, though the rewards aren't as good.

I did find out what was missing from my last tempest experience.  I taught Bride!Cordelia Breath of Life 3 just cause and let me tell you, it's a HUGE help.  While not that great in arena, this skill got my team back to 100% health before the last map often.  When there's one character left, because Bride!Cordelia can kill almost anyone with a dancer, if I place an ally near her and kill the unit it heals 7 or 14 health depending on how many hits the enemy took.  I could now ditch a healer on my team because this was plenty.  Still struggle with the last map because no one can kill Celica on this team but getting there is literally 10x easier w/ Breath of Life on one of my units.  Highly recommend for anyone whose team is based around baiters like Lloyd and Spring!Camilla.  Could also be useful if you have duelest units - basically anyone who takes gradual damage.  

Ardent Sacrifice and Renewal is the more obvious strat, but I didn't have any Renewal fodder.  Besides, I don't know who I would want to give Renewal to on my team because B slot is so valuable.  

If you don't have a good healer, make one with regular units and healing / sacrifice skills
even if you do, these kinds of units can be better anyways.

Edited by Lushen

7 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But muh consistency.

I think I’m the only one here who refers to natures with Awakening’s term “assets and flaws”. Many call them “boons and banes” à la Fates.
Then again, I’ve never played Pokémon, so both “natures” and “individual values” are just words for me.

I play Pokemon a lot more than I play Fire Emblem, so calling them natures further cements my assumption that this game is Pokemon: Waifu edition.

This tempest is a lot easier.  Much improved, though the rewards aren't as good.

I did find out what was missing from my last tempest experience.  I taught Bride!Cordelia Breath of Life 3 just cause and let me tell you, it's a HUGE help.  While not that great in arena, this skill got my team back to 100% health before the last map often.  When there's one character left, because Bride!Cordelia can kill almost anyone with a dancer, if I place an ally near her and kill the unit it heals 7 or 14 health depending on how many hits the enemy took.  I could now ditch a healer on my team because this was plenty.  Still struggle with the last map because no one can kill Celica on this team but getting there is literally 10x easier w/ Breath of Life on one of my units.  Highly recommend for anyone whose team is based around baiters like Lloyd and Spring!Camilla.  Could also be useful if you have duelest units - basically anyone who takes gradual damage.  

Ardent Sacrifice and Renewal is the more obvious strat, but I didn't have any Renewal fodder.  Besides, I don't know who I would want to give Renewal to on my team because B slot is so valuable.  

If you don't have a good healer, make one with regular units and healing / sacrifice skills
even if you do, these kinds of units can be better anyways.

Healer Alm I recommend to build since he is a bonus unit anyways.

My own Alm is able to both hold his own in battle AND can afford to lose 20 hp every battle because Renewal 3 and Falchion both trigger at the beginning of each battle. It lets me almost full heal Nowi or Nino where Priscilla's Rehabilitate can only heal a smaller fraction.

Also can I say, TA3 QR3 Nowi trivializes Celica. Nino can just Drag Back Nowi to a spot where she is within Celica's range, which thankfully is not within any other units range, and Celica just dies. Boom, never stood a chance, Nowi OP plz nerf.

Edited by Xenomata

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But muh consistency.

It's mostly because there are a lot of ways to say "a skill chain that has fully unlocked at 5* rarity", especially in a number of contexts and surrounding grammar.

If it weren't for the fact that there is no HP altering nature in Pokemon, I'd totally try and match up my Heroes' natures to the Pokemon ones and see if their personality matches. I think my Klein is 'Naive' (+Speed -Special Defence), which doesn't fit him. It does fit Nino, though.

(Also, it makes my Linde 'Rash', my Olivia 'Timid' and since my Lilina is +HP, I can't consider her. Two out of five...)

Alrighty, got 3 near-perfect scores (676 with 40% bonus and B-rank in survival). Seems like sticking with my guns (Bride Lyn, Olivia, Tharja, and Reinhardt) is working out for me!

I found myself having to suicide on the last map one time out of three, since I haven't brought a bonus unit along, since I'm saving that for my final team. I'm going to take some time out to build up a healer Alm build, since he's my only one. If only I had Boey - then I'd be fully set. Reinhardt still tears up nearly all his enemies, with Azura and Xander helping with those he can't manage.

Currently sitting at just under 2k points after 3 runs - first run, I made a mistake so ended up using three teams instead of two ^.^

This tempest is a bit easier altogether. Also the final boss is a red and then the game gives me Effie...

Really, REALLY tempted to feed my +SPD/-ATK Hinoka to her for Brave Lance for oneshotting Celica purposes (But she's my only source of hone fliers so no)... I may still just slap an ordinary Brave Lance on her though, she needs to be trained STAT. Blue seems to be the color for this tempest.

Also Tobin is bad. Like, REALLY bad, stats, skills, weapon. Everything sucks. What were they thinking? Eh. Free five star is free, I'll be grateful. At least he has a skillset.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

My brain is currently frazzled and I don't know why. My first three runs of Tempest consisted of Draw Back not going in the directions I want, and me ragequitting immediately.

It was too early to go back to Tempest is probably what your brain was telling you.

Reinhardt can survive Celica initiating on him if he sits on the defensive tile that's in her range (the top-right one). And he can do so without needing Red Tomebreaker. With that, he'd pretty much be in position to ORKO her in the following player phase.

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Reinhardt can survive Celica initiating on him if he sits on the defensive tile that's in her range (the top-right one). And he can do so without needing Red Tomebreaker. With that, he'd pretty much be in position to ORKO her in the following player phase.

My surprise when he could actually survive something on enemy phase. Granted, defense tile. Still good enough!

7 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Also Tobin is bad. Like, REALLY bad, stats, skills, weapon. Everything sucks. What were they thinking? Eh. Free five star is free, I'll be grateful. At least he has a skillset.

I feel like he is suffering from a SEVERE case of SEVERA... or Selena, wanna go an ruin my fun...

Painfully average across the board, no exceptionally good stat, can't do anything, even with an Armorslayer, that others can't do significantly better due to no specialty, and at the end of the day at least Selena has natures to fall back on.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

I feel like he is suffering from a SEVERE case of SEVERA... or Selena, wanna go an ruin my fun...

Painfully average across the board, no exceptionally good stat, can't do anything, even with an Armorslayer, that others can't do significantly better due to no specialty, and at the end of the day at least Selena has natures to fall back on.

Severa have wtf defense and lolhuge speed

Tobins highest non HP stats is 33

5 minutes ago, Dual Dragons said:

My surprise when he could actually survive something on enemy phase. Granted, defense tile. Still good enough!

He also had a Fortify Res 1 buff on him thanks to Olivia carrying the seal - Draw Back is great on him so that Olivia can move and Reinhardt can pull her up so that Olivia would be next to him when Celica strikes. Also had Tharja be put on the bottom left defense tile so that she'd be next to Olivia and be just outside of the leftmost ranged infantry's attack range.

Edited by Roflolxp54

4 minutes ago, JSND said:

Severa have wtf defense and lolhuge speed

Tobins highest non HP stats is 33

They're defensive in their own rights. Severa can avoid being doubled at the bare minimum. Tobin basically needs the better HP if he wants to not die from being doubled by the likes of anything that has anything better than good speed.

Man, I shoulda seen this coming to... I forgot Tobin has trash speed in Echoes because of Hunter's Volley.

Edited by Xenomata

Okay, now that I have Draw Back and Reposition correctly learned and equipped things are a lot easier.

I'm also running Elise with Wrathful Staff and Gravity, which is really, really fun to abuse with mobility assist skills. Cecilia got hit by Panic Ploy from Gordin (teaches me to actually look at enemy skills) on the final map on my last run with Roderick right next to her, and Elise managed to save the day by stalling out one turn.

20 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

It's mostly because there are a lot of ways to say "a skill chain that has fully unlocked at 5* rarity", especially in a number of contexts and surrounding grammar.

If it weren't for the fact that there is no HP altering nature in Pokemon, I'd totally try and match up my Heroes' natures to the Pokemon ones and see if their personality matches. I think my Klein is 'Naive' (+Speed -Special Defence), which doesn't fit him. It does fit Nino, though.

(Also, it makes my Linde 'Rash', my Olivia 'Timid' and since my Lilina is +HP, I can't consider her. Two out of five...)

Since Pokémon has Attack and Special Attack split, but Fire Emblem Heroes has only Attack, you can map Fire Emblem Heroes's HP to Pokémon's Special Attack (or Attack, perhaps depending on the weapon type) and voila, you have a one-to-one mapping from Fire Emblem to Pokémon.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Since Pokémon has Attack and Special Attack split, but Fire Emblem Heroes has only Attack, you can map Fire Emblem Heroes's HP to Pokémon's Special Attack (or Attack, perhaps depending on the weapon type) and voila, you have a one-to-one mapping from Fire Emblem to Pokémon.

For the advanced version, map each FE:H unit to the pokemon they match best in competitive environments! IE, anything with more than 40 base attack after natures is probably a legendary pokemon or Garchomp!