Old tempest thread, plz delet

V-raptor

1 minute ago, r_n said:

I think it'd be fine if there was an alternative reward for people who already had the seal. Like some extra shards or whatever.

I’d be fine if the reward was 1⋆ Celica.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed in the decision to bring Tobin in as the reward character for this TT.  I really wanted them to keep adding in unique skin characters like Masked Marth, or perhaps NPC-only characters.

Not to say I don't like Tobin or anything, only that he seems to fit better in a new heroes banner.

Time to waste all the stamina pots I won during the arena quests! 

Last time I was lucky that the 40% bonus included Lucina, but this time the only bonus unit I have is Lukas+2 (and Sharena but she's still 3* while I try and think about a nice build for her) who only gives a 20% which translates to having to do around 5 more runs per day if I wish to keep the 10k a day I did last time.

31 minutes ago, KatarinaCS1 said:

I'm disappointed in the decision to bring Tobin in as the reward character for this TT.  I really wanted them to keep adding in unique skin characters like Masked Marth, or perhaps NPC-only characters.

Not to say I don't like Tobin or anything, only that he seems to fit better in a new heroes banner.

This just made me realize something. Tobin could have been introduced alongside Gray, Kliff, and Silque which would be an archer, sword, mage -- not sure which color Kliff would be --, and healer banner. Isn't that basically Alm's starting party along with Clair, Faye, and Lukas? Well, whatever.

I love how mediocre all of the bonus heroes are (not counting Tobin, obviously, since I don't know shit about him).  I wouldn't want to use any of them besides Lukas and Sharena (who are both 20%) even if I had all of them.  Thanks IS!  I'll just sack my shitty 4* Mae (+HP/-Atk) before every run, I guess.

All the people complaining about the bonus units not being good makes me a little sad. I think a good part of the fun in this game can come from making units that aren't great to start out work! But I get that that isn't for everyone, so I'll just be over here throwing resources at Alm and Boey. :D

2 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

All the people complaining about the bonus units not being good makes me a little sad. I think a good part of the fun in this game can come from making units that aren't great to start out work! But I get that that isn't for everyone, so I'll just be over here throwing resources at Alm and Boey. :D

it is a bit sad.

Help me make my Boey good!

Just now, salinea said:

it is a bit sad.

Help me make my Boey good!

People will play how they want I guess :P

I don't know how much help I can be as my Boey is still stuck at 4* for the time being, but I think I want to try running mostly his default kit with maybe savage blow for extra damage! 

Well, this is going to suck. I do not have any of the 40% bonus units (Alm, Faye, Mae, Boey). I do have Clair that I field with my makeshift Flier Emblem team, but Sharena is my best bet here for the 20% bonus. I suppose I'll be keeping the same "multi-team" strat, but not getting that extra 20% does neuter my enthusiasm a bit.

Seeing Tobin as the reward is a surprise, but I guess we can never count Tobin out. I guess he will be representing the Villager class from Echoes, and if he gets a "proper version," he may be represented as an archer there. I look forward to seeing his stats and weapon because I like Tobin as a character.

In terms of maps, anyone else looking forward to Boats? Boat maps, ahoy! Nuibaba's Manor may be troublesome in terms of speed clears, but Novis Cemetery may cause problems for Cavalry teams (not a problem for me though! :D). I also wonder what theme they will use for the finale of this Tempest Trial. Lord of a Dead Empire (Rudolf's)? Praise This Despair (Berkut Finale)? Twilight of the Gods (Final Map Theme)? The Saint and the Sacrifice (if we are fighting a brainwashed Celica)? There are plenty of excellent songs from Shadows of Valentia to use...

Lastly, I'm really hoping for a Rudolf and Berkut GHB to keep with the Echoes theme, if just to hear their music play. Having them as playable characters will also be a lot of fun, Berkut's VA is amazing and I wish he was playable in Shadows of Valentia.

Edited by Sire

8 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

People will play how they want I guess :P

I don't know how much help I can be as my Boey is still stuck at 4* for the time being, but I think I want to try running mostly his default kit with maybe savage blow for extra damage! 

I'm not sure i want to change his tome because it's a +Tome and Owl can help out his Speed and Att a little at least which he does sorely need. A skill I could shift... TA might work, even without a Raven tome (he's +def so he already tanks very well) not sure what else would be good (i wish Close Counter were available without drawing a 5* unit, he'd love it). I'm annoyed because I like Renewal as B skill during Tempest for obvious reason, but Lancebreaker or Quick Riposte would make a big difference to double and make his job easier. Ignis is good, Bonfire might be better, but then again I could just give him QP. Reciprocal Aid if I keep Renewal, Pivot/Swap if not... C skill Hone Speed/Att/something else depending on what seems handy for the team; unless i go with BoL.

Edited by salinea

11 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

Yeah, that's my thinking. Last TT, I spent half the time using 4* Tharja as my bonus unit and it was a lot of fun, as well as getting a ton of Hero Merit for a character I wouldn't use otherwise. If my only option for a TT bonus hero was Hector, I'd be annoyed because he's already hit his HM cap, but instead I get a reason to use Boey more.

15 minutes ago, Refa said:

I love how mediocre all of the bonus heroes are (not counting Tobin, obviously, since I don't know shit about him).  I wouldn't want to use any of them besides Lukas and Sharena (who are both 20%) even if I had all of them.  Thanks IS!  I'll just sack my shitty 4* Mae (+HP/-Atk) before every run, I guess.

That seems to be the main issue for a lot of people. I have all of those units, but they're just so 'meh' compared to my other alternatives that I didn't want to invest in them. I would have really happy with Lukas being 40% since he takes 0 to single digit damage from nearly everything and strike back with Ignis to blow them up. I ran him on my main team last TT and he was amazing.

6 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

The main things that prevent me from agreeing with this in regards to the trials is that resources are limited. I won't sacrifice my lone Death Blow 3 fodder to make Faye usable for the TT when my Reinhardt would make much better use of it in every other game mode. Add that SP grinding is such a chore and spending that much time and resources in making a sub-par character decent is kind of unattractive. This is especially true with this batch of heroes, since most of them need different weapons to be the best they can, which requires sacrificing a 5* unit. And it doesn't help that taking advantage of Owl tomes requires to keep your characters together which can tank your Speed score and using a sacrificial team with a bonus unit makes you start with a Survival handicap.

Probably just salty that I need to rely on Faye as my bonus unit instead of my +5 Lucina.

32 minutes ago, Sire said:

Well, this is going to suck. I do not have any of the 40% bonus units (Alm, Faye, Mae, Boey). I do have Clair that I field with my makeshift Flier Emblem team, but Sharena is my best bet here for the 20% bonus. I suppose I'll be keeping the same "multi-team" strat, but not getting that extra 20% does neuter my enthusiasm a bit.

Seeing Tobin as the reward is a surprise, but I guess we can never count Tobin out. I guess he will be representing the Villager class from Echoes, and if he gets a "proper version," he may be represented as an archer there. I look forward to seeing his stats and weapon because I like Tobin as a character.

In terms of maps, anyone else looking forward to Boats? Boat maps, ahoy! Nuibaba's Manor may be troublesome in terms of speed clears, but Novis Cemetery may cause problems for Cavalry teams (not a problem for me though! :D). I also wonder what theme they will use for the finale of this Tempest Trial. Lord of a Dead Empire (Rudolf's)? Praise This Despair (Berkut Finale)? Twilight of the Gods (Final Map Theme)? The Saint and the Sacrifice (if we are fighting a brainwashed Celica)? There are plenty of excellent songs from Shadows of Valentia to use...

Lastly, I'm really hoping for a Rudolf and Berkut GHB to keep with the Echoes theme, if just to hear their music play. Having them as playable characters will also be a lot of fun, Berkut's VA is amazing and I wish he was playable in Shadows of Valentia.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if the "final boss" of this TT will be the next new GHB unit. It'd be a good time to finally introduce an Echoes one, especially since people have had time to play through it and get acquainted with its villains.

Is there any real reason people don't think Veronica will be the final boss of every tempest? At least for the remainder of the "season"?

She's the one most interested in doing this nonsense and she's the big final boss you otherwise only ever fight her on 9-5. Until Bruno or Loki step up to the plate to usurp her fb status she's probably going to be it for the time being. Being a green unit also works on a meta level since it means the common red units can more easily counter her.

56 minutes ago, salinea said:

I'm not sure i want to change his tome because it's a +Tome and Owl can help out his Speed and Att a little at least which he does sorely need. A skill I could shift... TA might work, even without a Raven tome (he's +def so he already tanks very well) not sure what else would be good (i wish Close Counter were available without drawing a 5* unit, he'd love it). I'm annoyed because I like Renewal as B skill during Tempest for obvious reason, but Lancebreaker or Quick Riposte would make a big difference to double and make his job easier. Ignis is good, Bonfire might be better, but then again I could just give him QP. Reciprocal Aid if I keep Renewal, Pivot/Swap if not... C skill Hone Speed/Att/something else depending on what seems handy for the team; unless i go with BoL.

I think Owl+ works pretty well. Stick him on a defense tile and have at least two other units next to him and he should do pretty well I do believe. I was thinking about switching earth boost for t-adept since my Boey is -Hp but I think I'm going to scrap that idea because of a crippling lack of t-adapt fodder. The missing Hp can also be easily made up for with the hp seal anyway. Ah man close counter would be so much fun on Boey! Sadly it definitely nothing more than a dream for me. I've never summoned one Takumi never mind a second or third for SI. Yeah renewal will definitely be nice for during the TT. I think I'll be switching it out for quick repose at some point afterwards. With +def bonfire almost might make more sense with its lower cooldown especially if you're also running renewal. Hone stuff is always a pretty good bet, and with his owl tome keeping allies close anyway Boey might be a good one for spur skills!

54 minutes ago, Othin said:

Yeah, that's my thinking. Last TT, I spent half the time using 4* Tharja as my bonus unit and it was a lot of fun, as well as getting a ton of Hero Merit for a character I wouldn't use otherwise. If my only option for a TT bonus hero was Hector, I'd be annoyed because he's already hit his HM cap, but instead I get a reason to use Boey more.

I ended up dusting off Linde and using her a tone during the first TT, I had originally not expected to ever really use her for whatever reason. As tedious as the Trials get I like any game mode that forces me to use units I ordinarily wouldn't!

25 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

The main things that prevent me from agreeing with this in regards to the trials is that resources are limited. I won't sacrifice my lone Death Blow 3 fodder to make Faye usable for the TT when my Reinhardt would make much better use of it in every other game mode. Add that SP grinding is such a chore and spending that much time and resources in making a sub-par character decent is kind of unattractive. This is especially true with this batch of heroes, since most of them need different weapons to be the best they can, which requires sacrificing a 5* unit. And it doesn't help that taking advantage of Owl tomes requires to keep your characters together which can tank your Speed score and using a sacrificial team with a bonus unit makes you start with a Survival handicap.

Probably just salty that I need to rely on Faye as my bonus unit instead of my +5 Lucina.

I totally get where you're coming from. The resource thing is an absolute pain to manage and as someone who just spent two days trying to get Celica from 70 some SP to 300 for moonbow my tolerance for SP grinding is low too. I will also say that building up a sub-optimal character is largely only enjoyable if you like the character in question which is why I'm fine spending my time and resources making units like Boey, and Alm(and to the greatest degree for me personally Seliph) usable. Regarding the Owl tomes I do think that you can probably make use of some swap/reposition/dance shenanigans to at least partially make up for needing to keep your units together. I'll have to experiment with that when the time comes. 

(I would be salty about having to use Faye as my only bonus unit too pfff)

6 minutes ago, r_n said:

Is there any real reason people don't think Veronica will be the final boss of every tempest? At least for the remainder of the "season"?

She's the one most interested in doing this nonsense and she's the big final boss you otherwise only ever fight her on 9-5. Until Bruno or Loki step up to the plate to usurp her fb status she's probably going to be it for the time being. Being a green unit also works on a meta level since it means the common red units can more easily counter her.

I think the final boss last time was Loki who took Veronica's form, instead of really Veronica. In which case, there's no real reason for it to be Veronica again, but it might just be the case anyway.

1 minute ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I totally get where you're coming from. The resource thing is an absolute pain to manage and as someone who just spent two days trying to get Celica from 70 some SP to 300 for moonbow my tolerance for SP grinding is low too. I will also say that building up a sub-optimal character is largely only enjoyable if you like the character in question which is why I'm fine spending my time and resources making units like Boey, and Alm(and to the greatest degree for me personally Seliph) usable. Regarding the Owl tomes I do think that you can probably make use of some swap/reposition/dance shenanigans to at least partially make up for needing to keep your units together. I'll have to experiment with that when the time comes. 

(I would be salty about having to use Faye as my only bonus unit too pfff)

I have to admit that Valor skill and double SP week-end reduces the pain a bit. My Summer Robin had 2000 SP by the time she was 40, meaning I was able to fully kit her with SI for the next arena season without further grinding.

Other part about that discourages me from using resources on sub-optimal characters is that I own the 'upgraded' version of those characters. Kind of don't want to waste resources on Alm and Boey when I have a +5 Lucina and a +2 Julia. Though I definitely understand the bias thing. 

Sadly she's the only one of the 40% bonus that I own that is fully kitted.

6 minutes ago, r_n said:

Variety. No reason to make different versions of TT more repetitive than they have to be, and the final boss can be a big influence on how they play out. In the first one, it was important to always have a red unit prepared to take on Veronica, so it'd be nice for other months to switch that focus to different colors and playstyles. They can come up with story justifications for anyone to show up there, and if they want to give more chances to fight her, they can add her to additional maps elsewhere like they did with adding "Bruno" to new story chapters.

So I still don't quite understand all the finer points of what the Tempest Trials actually are. Are there any repercussions of failing, apart from wasting stamina? Like, does your score get reduced? Are all the enemies level 40? If I bring in the Clair I just got, will I get a 20% bonus to the score regardless of whether or not she survives, or is the important part just that she's brought in?

Also, about the score itself: do you compete against others in rank, or do you spend your score like currency?

So who else is anticipating Mage Gray and Cavalier Kliff when they get added?

I tried summoning from the banner but sadly it does not want to give me good things. Guess I'm taking Lukas out of retirement and settling for the 20% bonus.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

So I still don't quite understand all the finer points of what the Tempest Trials actually are.

1. Are there any repercussions of failing, apart from wasting stamina?  Like, does your score get reduced?

2. Are all the enemies level 40?

3. If I bring in the Clair I just got, will I get a 20% bonus to the score regardless of whether or not she survives, or is the important part just that she's brought in?

4. Also, about the score itself: do you compete against others in rank, or do you spend your score like currency?

1. You lose out on your score for that run.  The scoring in Tempest Trials is entirely cumulative, sorta like Arena but without the cap of seven in a row.

2. Depends on the difficulty, I think.

3. Yeah, doesn't matter if they die.  Last trial I simply sent a male Robin to die at the start of each run.

4. There's a both a ranking system (ranking well gives more feathers) and rewards for certain milestones in your cumulative score (orbs, shards/crystals, seals, Tobin).  

1 minute ago, Glaceon Sage said:

1. You lose out on your score for that run.  The scoring in Tempest Trials is entirely cumulative, sorta like Arena but without the cap of seven in a row.

2. Depends on the difficulty, I think.

3. Yeah, doesn't matter if they die.  Last trial I simply sent a male Robin to die at the start of each run.

4. There's a both a ranking system (ranking well gives more feathers) and rewards for certain milestones in your cumulative score (orbs, shards/crystals, seals, Tobin).  

Noice, thanks a lot. Just to clarify though, you just lose out points on that run, then? You don't lose any score you've already gained?