The Original Knockoffs

So I've been looking at some of the characters from Thracia 776 and I've noticed some characters look oddly familiar. And looking at their designs, backgrounds, and personalities, there are quite a few parallels.

So here we go.

Creidne/Radney & Machyua

Spoiler

latest?cb=20110112173807latest?cb=20110917064343

• same class
  • similar color palettes
  • both have bold personalities, and are ready to fight when they're introduced.
  • similar appearances (slender, sharp jawlines/chins, short black hair and grayish eyes)

latest?cb=20110930052336latest?cb=20121112130205

Laylea & Lara

Spoiler

latest?cb=20110112174022latest?cb=20100831194351

• same class (Lara can class change into a dancer)
  • similar hairstyles (ponytail with stripes. Lara's stripes is fainter, but they're there)
  • softer facial features
  • both orphans that have been dancing since their youth. (Sisters???!!!?!)
  • similar color palettes (Laylea's primary color is orange. Lara's colors are red and yellow. What do you get when you mix red and yellow? ORANGE!)
  • both of their personalities are a little bit cynical, they're not happy-go-lucky dancers.
  • both meet the protagonist in a dungeon. Laylea is rescued in Bramsel's dungeon by Celiph and Aless, meanwhile Lara helps rescue Leaf in a dungeon.
  • both have a love interest/a certain person they enjoy dancing for
  • their names begin with 'La' and end with an 'a'. Lara has the same amount of letters as the person Laylea replaces (Lene). 

latest?cb=20120406065455latest?cb=20100719003001

Hermina & Karin

Spoiler

latest?cb=20110812031123latest?cb=20100830014944

• both Pegasus knights
  • both hail from Silesia
  • both introduced alongside a male character early in the game (well, Hermina is early for Gen 2). The introduction includes teasing in it.
  • green eyes + green hair
  • same bangs
  • both are searching for a sage (Karin is looking for Ced, Femina is looking for Ced's replacement, Hawk- so almost the same person)
  • white is a prominent color for both of them. Orange/brown is also used a lot.

latest?cb=20111031192818latest?cb=20100830014955

NOTE: Yes I'm aware Femina has an unused portrait for Thracia 776. However, Karin looks more like Femina than Femina does herself.

You vs the Femina they tell you not to worry about:

latest?cb=20110812031123latest?cb=20110814194528

Tristan & Carrion

Spoiler

latest?cb=20110812031610latest?cb=20100829194858

• both mounted units that specialize in swords
  • both have a conversation with another mounted unit that will lead to a special bonus (Oifay and Selfina)
  • both feature blue in their portraits and battle models (strangely enough, Carrion's TCG art has in red, even though in-game it's blue). Also feature black and gold
  • both brunettes with a middle part.
  • similar facial structure (sharp chin/jawline, both are looking to left in their portraits, eyebrows are in a similar angle, serious expression)
  • their fathers were both knights that have died on the battlefield. They were later taken and trained to be knights like their fathers. (both fathers could potentially be seen being killed in the events of FE4, with Tristan's father in Ch.2 or Ch.3 and Carrion's in the Yied Massacre.)
  • both end with 'n'.

latest?cb=20120406033915latest?cb=20100829194909

Linda & Miranda

Spoiler

Portrait_linda_fe04.pnglatest?cb=20100902232824

• Sorry it's smaller. I couldn't find a source where they were both bigger. How ironic. Anyways...
  • both are princesses
  • both are initially hostile
  • both fall in love with Leif (Linda can optionally)
  • both have short brown hair, with two longer strands in the front. They both wear headbands as well.
  • brown eyes
  • both are mages
  • both have the skill Wrath
  • both come from a similar place of origin. (Miranda hails from Alster, and Linda was a stone's throw away)
  • both are rescued
  • both take part in liberating their homelands
  • both are hard to train, but generally turn out great.
  • both wield swords upon promotion
  • both kind of screwed over on promotion (Linda needed to become a mage knight instead of mage fighter because FE4 is horse emblem. Meanwhile Miranda's growths are better tailored to that of a sage, not a mage knight). They should switch.

latest?cb=20090629203012latest?cb=20100711143800

Bonus: Jeanne and Tanya have similar facial features and accessories. And Shannam is literally a Shannan impersonator.

Hey. You show more respect to Machyua. She's the VERY first proper Merc/Hero in the franchise.

Edited by Slumber

This topic is mean.

27 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Hey. You show more respect to Machyua. She's the VERY first proper Merc/Hero in the franchise.

Completely forgot about that, yeah. Actually mistook her for Mareeta, at first sight.

Well, Thracia does have several unused portraits for FE4 replacement characters (and Arthur for some reason), so chances are they were meant to play roles that would eventually go to original characters. Like, it would not take a lot of imagination to imagine Femina and/or Arthur ending up in a dungeon in Manster in their search for Sety/Tinnny respectively.

Edited by BrightBow

Glad to know I apparently managed to inspire another topic with my own. It's little things like that that make my existence seem worth it. Unless this is just a coincidence, in which case I'll just off myself as penance.

21 hours ago, Slumber said:

Don't worry I like her more than Crudne.

20 hours ago, Gruntagen said:

Glad to know I apparently managed to inspire another topic with my own. It's little things like that that make my existence seem worth it. Unless this is just a coincidence, in which case I'll just off myself as penance.

Yeah I brought it up in your topic and thought I should just make a separate thread about it.

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Don't worry I like her more than Crudne.

Machyua would be a pretty amazing unit if she didn't have Orsin as direct competition.

Actually, all of the FE5 counterparts are way better than the subs.

Machyua's just all around really good.

Lara is a great utility unit and can potentially promote three times.

Karin's a solid unit and flyers in general can become great if they get scroll'd to be a bit tankier.

Carrion's one of the few worthwhile mounted units in the game.

Miranda's legitimately one of the best units in the game, even if she does promote to a less ideal class.

As opposed to trash, utility trash, flying trash, mounted trash, and decent, but unmounted in a game that really punishes unmounted units.

Edited by Slumber