What's the point of Fire Emblem if there's no Fire Emblem in the game?

Ok, I just looked at the Wikis on this information. Are you telling me the Fire Emblem ISN'T present in this game??? I know that the Fire Emblem in this universe is the Shield of Seals and is still in Archanea (if I'm correct), but... what's the point of the title Fire Emblem if there is no Fire Emblem present? I guess the Fire Emblem couldn't be removed from Archanea without plot holes, but seriously just why? 

"Let's make a Fire Emblem game... but let's not put the Fire Emblem in the game."

Great logic Nintendo. Must've been hard to do that while taking out the Waifu Simulator at the same time when making the remake.

The original game's title was Gaiden (外伝), meaning side story. In the Archanean continuity, which Valentia is a part of, the Fire Emblem is still on Archanean soil, as Gaiden (and SoV) takes place in-between FE1 and FE3. 

There are quite a few FE games that have the Emblem and only mention it once or twice, so not having it at all isn't too bad, especially when you know the FE1 connections.

It's just a fancy title.

The Fire Emblem was basically absent from Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 as well.

What makes a Fire Emblem game isn't its namesake, but it's story and gameplay.

There have been a bunch of Zelda games without Zelda, for example.

7 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

It's just a fancy title.

The Fire Emblem was basically absent from Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 as well.

What makes a Fire Emblem game isn't its namesake, but it's story and gameplay.

There have been a bunch of Zelda games without Zelda, for example.

That's true, but at least when Zelda is present she's actually relevant. 

Going a bit off topic here, but I feel like the title Fire Emblem is pretty dumb to have on a game series where half of its games either don't show off the Fire Emblem until the very end of the game, it's present however irrelevant because the plot probably states that there's no need of it to complete the story, or it's not present at all.

But I'm no expert on this type of stuff, I did come into the series when Path of Radiance was still the most recent FE game. Even then when I was playing it through, I was wondering the entire time, "What is a Fire Emblem? Did I miss one of those while playing?"

51 minutes ago, Krysis said:

But I'm no expert on this type of stuff, I did come into the series when Path of Radiance was still the most recent FE game. Even then when I was playing it through, I was wondering the entire time, "What is a Fire Emblem? Did I miss one of those while playing?"

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn actually have one of the most plot relevant Fire Emblems in the series, though, considering it was essentially the thing that Ashnard was after to release Yune and destroy everything, and it caused Ike's mom to die. 

Like, I genuinely question the reasoning behind the name as well, considering the Fire Emblem in FE1 amounted to a glorified lockpick representing House Archanea and nothing else (FE3 book 2 made it actually do things).  But Path of Radiance really isn't the example you're looking for of not doing much with its Fire Emblem.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

You may as well be asking why Bleach is called Bleach despite bleach cleaner never ever being relevant. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Japan likes to use words that sound cool, and I guess "Faia Emburemu" fit the bill. Heck, I like how Japan says it with such vigor.

We don't need a Fire Emblem in every game, particularly if it somehow detracts from the plot. Treat the series name as a vestige of its past. There isn't anything fiery about the original emblem even, so even then the title didn't make much sense.

There are worst item-based titles for games by the way, I once heard of an NES game called Ironsword. You don't have to be an FE fan to realize how pathetic that sounds, a name worse than Falchion for a blade of legendary power.

Just a fancy title, like most have said.  The actual Fire Emblem in most games aren't really relevant anyway unless it's the Tellius series and Awakening.  Even in OG Fire Emblem it was just kinda there and slightly used as a plot device, but not really.  And then in SoV/Gaiden, it is a side story as the title of Gaiden implies so....there's that.

1 hour ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

You may as well be asking why Bleach is called Bleach despite bleach cleaner never ever being relevant.

oritscalledBleachbecauseIwantedtobleachmyeyesanddrinkitbecauseoffillers

2 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

You may as well be asking why Bleach is called Bleach despite bleach cleaner never ever being relevant. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Japan likes to use words that sound cool, and I guess "Faia Emburemu" fit the bill. Heck, I like how Japan says it with such vigor.

It's called Bleach because the soul reapers are purifying/bleaching the souls.

14 hours ago, David Boey said:

Speaking of FE9, I don't remember any paths in that game, let alone one of radiance.

Not literally, ya doofus. :P:

Path of Radiance/Trail of the Blue Flame tells of the figurative path our main "lord" Ike trod to eventually earn his revered title of Radiant Hero/Hero of Blue Flames.

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light: Glorified lockpick.
Gaiden: "Um, Palla? Before you go rescue your sister, can you... not take the sacred artefact of Archanea with you?"
Mystery of the Emblem: Anti-Earth-Dragon
Genealogy of the Holy War: "Oh, and BTW, our royal crest is called the Crest of Flames. It's not relevant to anything, but thought you ought to know."
Thracia 776: "Does anyone here even come from Velthomer?"
Binding Blade: Key to Zephiel's throne room.
Blazing Blade: It got stolen that one time. Anyone remember that?
Sacred Stones: Literally destroyed before the game even started.
Path of Radiance: Gives the final boss an extra form in Hard mode.
Radiant Dawn: Secretly the good half of God.
Awakening: "What do you mean, it's broken? And why are the pieces scattered literally everywhere?"
Fates: "CHAINSAW SWORD!"
Heroes: "Goddammit, another Fir? What do I even do with her?"

4 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

One, Saias.

Two- you need the Fire Emblem to unlock the Binding Blade/SoS, and afterwards it's inserted into the weapon. So the Fire Emblem is sorta kinda the titular weapon itself.

Also, you forgot TMS. Where the Fire Emblem is another name for the Opera of Light necessary for defeating Medeus.

We have to treat the Fire Emblem as symbolic sometimes if we want to have any real meaning. Even though the symbolism can come off as stupid. The Fire Emblem is symbolic of Corrin's specialness, a banner of hope in Archanea and FE6, as standing in for some of the dramatic pageantry that unfolds in child Zephiel's life. In Jugdral- House Velthomer is host to Victor, Arvis and Julius, (and to lesser extents Cigyun, Deidre and Julia) all of whom taint the family's name and end up being responsible in some way for why things turn out badly in FE4. The Fire Emblem also plays an important role in Ike's personal life, as it is responsible for his parents fleeing Daein and his mother's death. Not to mention Ike more or less in the embodiment of sheer power and chaos- that which the fire of the emblem represents.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, you forgot TMS. Where the Fire Emblem is another name for the Opera of Light necessary for defeating Medeus.

Honestly, I probably know less about that game than I do Fates. Granted, most of that is Heroes having added Fates characters, but still... that's saying something. I'm honestly half-surprised I know the Yato is the Fire Emblem.

2 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

The Fire Emblem is in Heroes? I don't think I heard it mentioned.

I'm fairly sure they said the Breidbalik is the Fire Emblem.

To be fair, the Fire Emblem is really just a plot devise that does whatever the writers need it to do.

The seal of a dragon? Done.

The crest of a royal family? Done.

Some goddess whoopla from a game god knows I'll ever own a copy of? Done.

A chainsaw sword that doesn't even appear in 2/3 of the games it hails from? Done.

I mean, what do you even do with a plot devise like that when Mila and Duma are already dying and Duma just needed a good stabbing with a fancy Wyrmslayer?

On 7/9/2017 at 4:04 AM, phineas81707 said:

Just throw her on the pile with the others, I'm sure Glacies will be relevant one day.

Edited by Xenomata

On 7/4/2017 at 9:51 AM, Krysis said:

That's true, but at least when Zelda is present she's actually relevant. 

Going a bit off topic here, but I feel like the title Fire Emblem is pretty dumb to have on a game series where half of its games either don't show off the Fire Emblem until the very end of the game, it's present however irrelevant because the plot probably states that there's no need of it to complete the story, or it's not present at all.

I just don't get your reasoning. Why is the title so important to you? Just like people have said about Zelda - there are Zelda games without Zelda (and even Zelda games without the Triforce, which is basically the Zelda universe's version of the Fire Emblem). There are Metroid games where Metroids are irrelevant, insignificant, or even nonexistent. What the heck does "F-Zero" even mean? Dozens of Harvest Moon games don't even MENTION the "Harvest Moon." I'm still trying to figure out what "Baten Kaitos" means. And the Tales games: what the heck is a "Symphonia," "Zestiria," "Berseria," "Vesperia," or "Xillia"? "Final" Fantasy was never even meant to be the "final" game, even from the first one (it was going to be called "Fighting Fantasy" but there was a copyright conflict so they changed the name), and some of the games are far more science-fiction than fantasy. 

You see this with innumerable game franchises. Branding is a big deal, and when it comes to series, whatever you call the first game, if it's going to be a major series, you probably want to keep that title going, even if later games in the franchise don't necessarily fit the title as well. Fire Emblem games don't need the Fire Emblem - the name is synonymous with strategy RPG titles set in a fantasy world with lots of characters, perma-death, classes and promotions, and dozens of other series staples; the "Fire Emblem" itself isn't what's important to the franchise. 

tl:dr - don't obsess over game titles. Most of them don't make sense. Many others are parts of long-running franchises that don't want to be limited by having to stick to what's in the title: Zelda games don't need Zelda, Metroid games don't need Metroids, and Harvest Moon games don't need the Harvest Moon. 

2 hours ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

What the heck does "F-Zero" even mean? Dozens of Harvest Moon games don't even MENTION the "Harvest Moon." I'm still trying to figure out what "Baten Kaitos" means.

F-Zero: Formula Zero. Theres this thing in reality called Formula One racing which involves the vehicles going really really fast, F-Zero is basically saying "we're cranking that up to a futuristic 11".

Harvest Moon- name for a moon that falls in late summer or early autumn, around the time when a farmer is going to harvest their crops. It's just an artsy way of expressing the agrarianism of the games with their emphasis on farming.

Baten Kaitos- Arabic meaning "belly of a whale" it's the name of star in the constellation Cetus. Outside of Anuenue (which uses Hawaiian names) and a few other locations like the Lesser Celestial River and Endmost Bethel, all the places in BK have stars for names. The game takes place in the sky, and the stars are in the heavens above that- it's all about being non-earthy.

20 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

F-Zero: Formula Zero. Theres this thing in reality called Formula One racing which involves the vehicles going really really fast, F-Zero is basically saying "we're cranking that up to a futuristic 11".

Harvest Moon- name for a moon that falls in late summer or early autumn, around the time when a farmer is going to harvest their crops. It's just an artsy way of expressing the agrarianism of the games with their emphasis on farming.

Baten Kaitos- Arabic meaning "belly of a whale" it's the name of star in the constellation Cetus. Outside of Anuenue (which uses Hawaiian names) and a few other locations like the Lesser Celestial River and Endmost Bethel, all the places in BK have stars for names. The game takes place in the sky, and the stars are in the heavens above that- it's all about being non-earthy.

You just blew my mind XD. I knew about the Harvest Moon, I was more pointing out how in the early games it actually was talked about and even celebrated within the games themselves, while now it's literally just the title of the games. But F-Zero... how did I not get that? I know about Formula One, I just never thought of it as F-1, thus not making the connection. And Baten Kaitos... thank you. I feel enlightened now.

On 7/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, phineas81707 said:

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light: Glorified lockpick.
Gaiden: "Um, Palla? Before you go rescue your sister, can you... not take the sacred artefact of Archanea with you?"
Mystery of the Emblem: Anti-Earth-Dragon
Genealogy of the Holy War: "Oh, and BTW, our royal crest is called the Crest of Flames. It's not relevant to anything, but thought you ought to know."
Blazing Blade: It got stolen that one time. Anyone remember that?
Sacred Stones: Literally destroyed before the game even started.
Path of Radiance: Gives the final boss an extra form in Hard mode.
Radiant Dawn: Secretly the good half of God.
Awakening: "What do you mean, it's broken? And why are the pieces scattered literally everywhere?"
Fates: "CHAINSAW SWORD!"

Simply beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that I had this question before and posted it like it meant something.

The thing I guess the fire emblem is suppose to do was to communicate between humans and dragons or atleast to try to unite them together.

Instead the thing is hardly mentioned nor does it serve much of a plot device since the IP itself is now known as Fire Emblem.

I guess the metaphor here is that when you start your journey, you will face sorrow, despair, pain, hate, and other sad things and when you have accomplished your journey, you bring peace and people will worship you as a legend..hence the term Fire Emblem..atleast to me that's how I think it sounds considering that nearly every game has consistent challenge.