Fire Emblem: Wrath of the Divine

Nohr Crystal

They stared at Cinyr as he walked through the town square.  Women were huddling in their children saying, "Don't get near that boy, he's a Manakete." Cindy tried to ignore all the harsh looks and words he was receiving.  "It'll be OK," he thought.  "This war will end soon enough...I hope."

Seeing the people shunning the Manakete was just heart breaking. But there was nothing Aleister could do about it at this point. He was just a blacksmith's assistant. Deciding to get back to work before he could get yelled at, he took his eyes off the person and began to sharpen the forged weapons.

Cinyr turned around the corner and walked into the fields.  The air was filled with the smell of rotting fish and smoke.  He clutched his dragonstone tightly as the Resistance soldiers gathered in the distance.  He knew he would be dismissed as an enemy immediately, but the least he could do was try.

Today hadn't been really eventful for Fern. Just like the day before...and the day before...and so on. And, as usual, she decided to go on a little pleasure flight. As usual, it was fantastic. The wind in her hair, the sun in the sky, the...smell of smoke? As she flew over the fields, she decided to lay back on her mount. It usually worked...except this time, it didn't. She fell off her steed and plummeted to the ground, landing square on her back, knocking any wind in her out of her. She could do nothing but lay in the grass and gasp for air.

Cinyr heard a loud thud behind him.  He faced away from the gathering soldiers and headed towards the noise.  A young-looking girl with green hair and blue eyes lay panting on the ground.  He figured that she probably fell from some sort of height.  "Hey...are you alright?" he said out of subconsciousness, knowing that was probably a rhetorical question.

"Guuuuuuuuuuuuuh...hoooooooooo...guh..." Amidst the gasping and blurred vision, Fern managed to make out...well, someone's voice. She had no idea who it was, but she intended to answer the question...too bad she could hardly breathe, let alone speak. "Ah...faaaahhhhhhhn...guuuuh..."...Ah fah? What in Naga's name was that supposed to mean? And no sooner had the gibberish escaped her lips than her somewhat-too-loyal mount, Fauna, landed beside her.

"That makes sense," Cinyr thought as he saw a Pegasus land beside her.  "Why did she fall, though?" he wondered, looking back at the girl.  "Here," he said, extending his left hand out to her.

Finally, Fern started to catch her breath and...well, be able to SEE again. And what was the first thing she saw but a young boy reaching his hand out to her! She started to reach for it with her right hand, but realized midway that would just be clumsy and switched within a heartbeat. "Heh, thanks. And...to properly answer, I'm fine. Just a little winded, is all. Funny, laying back usually works..." A quick glance to the side and she saw Fauna, affectionately staring as per usual. "...Are you getting thinner? 'Cuz that happens, right? Am I underfeeding you?..."

"Oh, um...alright." Cinyr said, retracting his hand.  He looked over at the friendly-looking pegasus.  "You probably fell, huh?" He looked up at the clusters of white clouds as they slowly moved across the sky. "Good to see that you're okay, though."

"I mean, I give you the same amount of food that I always...Muh?" In her brief tangent, she had actually forgotten about the boy. It wasn't until he spoke again that she remembered his existence. "Fell?...Yeah. Don't worry, though, Fauna here's an excellent flier. We practice every day! I mean, we never do anything other than a nice, gentle pleasure cruise, but hey, I love being in the air and she gets to stretch her wings! I just tend to fall off sometimes you know?" Almost before she was done with the sentence, her face drooped. "Aw, man, and I was setting a new accident-free record! I made it two weeks without dropping out of the sky!" Her gaze shot back over to the boy, "Have you ever fallen out of the sky before? I tell ya, hurts like there's no tomorrow, but eventually you get used to it...ugh, I still fall the most out of anyone I know..."

"Once," he replied.  "I was too young to remember what it felt like."  He turned his attention back to the soldiers on his right.  "Are you with the Resistance?" he asked.  He was nervous about revealing his identity to her, since it was likely she would turn on him.

"See, I told them! Everyone falls off their mount at some point. I'm just taking a little longer to-" Fern was cut off by the boy(I really should ask his name or something, she thought), asking if she was part of...the...Resistance? What Resistance? Last she checked, there wasn't any rebellion. Or much of a reason to start one. "Part of the what now?"

"Oh." Cinyr facepalmed and sighed.  "Don't you know? They're, like, the only people keeping us alive in this war?" He said, fixing his golden headband.  "And by the way, what's your name?"

Fern was visibly stunned at the boy's words. The only people keeping us alive...war? What war? She paused for a moment, but stopped pausing once the boy asked a question she DID know the answer to. "Oh, I didn't...well, I'm Fern. And, in case you didn't catch it before, this beautiful creature here..." She stroked Fauna's wing as she said this, "...Is Fauna. What's your name?" She reached her hand out. "And if you don't mind my asking, what war? I don't remember any war going on..."

"I'm Cinyr," he sighed as he grabbed her hand.  "And the degenerating Manaketes against us is the war we're currently in."  Saying the name of his own species again out loud made Cinyr feel hopeless.  "Why am I even fighting against them?  I'm a traitor..." he thought.

Fern took...Cinyr's...hand and shook it for a second, before bringing her own behind her head. However, what he said...confused her. Manaketes degenerating? That didn't make sense. I mean, sure, there's always a couple wackjobs out there, but an entire species can't go insane...besides, she thought, I've never met anything with wings that I didn't like. Except maybe wasps. "Um...what do you mean, Manaketes are 'degenerating'? As in, insanity? Dragons do that? But aren't they the 'appointed mouthpiece of the gods' or something?"

"Yes," he replied somberly.  "Following Grima's defeat, the Manaketes began to degenerate because of their power going unchecked.  That's just what happens to them, I guess."  Cinyr pointed to the soldiers.  "And those are members of the Resistance, along with me," he said, trying to stay off the subject of Manaketes.

...Fern was at a loss for words. And she was NEVER at a loss for words. Manaketes going power crazy...something just didn't sit right. How did Grima hold back all the dragon's power? And since the Fell Dragon is gone now...doesn't that mean there's LESS evil? "So...this Resistance," she finally spoke, "Are they...taking down all the insane Manaketes?"