Squad Assault and Chain Challenge discussion thread

Alexmender

The app has been updated and the new Squad Assault mode is available to play.

The mode costs 20 stamina and it requires having 20 different units ready to battle through 5 maps to earn 2 orbs and a new seal called Squad Ace A 1.

It seems there are more assaults after finishing the first one which means more rewards down the line.

Chain Challenge seems to be a mode where you have to play combinations of the story maps to earn rewards, which go from feathers in normal and hard mode to orbs in lunatic mode. The stamina costs of the first two  maps is 20 stamina with the last one costing 30 stamina regardless of the difficulty you're in.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man the lunatic versions of these will be nuts. The 9/10 combo especially. 9-5 is horrible enough on its own, 10 has all the special defense maps...

SQUAD ASSAULT IS INSANE. The stat inflation is out of control.

Edited by r_n

Units are fixed so you can plan around them. In Tempest Trials, appearance of enemy units, their stats, and their non-default skills are randomized (the main exception being Veronica on the final map for the first Tempest Trials event).

Thoughts so far.

Chain Challenge: This mode is awesome. Tons of extra orbs and feathers, and in addition, the 3rd version of the normal mode maps are the best SP farming maps in the game period due to only costing 30 stamina for 10 pretty easy battles. Beats even Tempest. Plus, the 3.45 HM gain, while TT gives more, is still really good for farming. One of the best things to happen to this game. Shame that Hard mode doesn't give orbs but oh well.

Squad Assault: This mode sucks. It combines the really terrible aspects of inflated Tempest stats, GHBs forced deathless, and a new mechanic that prevents you from using the same team twice, as well as any duplicates of a character used. I legit cannot beat this mode right now, it's really dumb. And the rewards? 2 orbs, and another version of the HP +3 seal. Yeah, not touching this one for a while.

Seems like it's a good bit of content, and a TON of feather and orb rewards.

It'll be something to do AND plenty of rewards.

Which is good, I need to stock up for getting Lyn from the inevitable Choose Your Legends banner.

agree, Chain Challenge is pretty great. it's almost like preparation for TT: get feathers (for skill fodder promotion or just normal promotion), HM for more feathers, SP, and good leveling to get more 40's. much easier than the Training Tower and seems to give more XP..though i might be imagining that..

i haven't done the other mode yet. but really, a +3 HP seal reward? ==

Just now, Anacybele said:

What are you guys talking about? It's not available yet. I haven't been prompted to update my game or anything.

i didn't get an update prompt either, had to go into the app store to force an update. it seems like a lot of people are having this issue.

Just now, wizzard of soz said:

i didn't get an update prompt either, had to go into the app store to force an update. it seems like a lot of people are having this issue.

Oh. Huh, that is weird...

If you do a manual update through your app store, it should force the full update to download and it'll unlock the modes.

Haven't tried Chain Challenge yet, but jumped right into Squad Assault. It really does feel a bit overly extreme. I guess they thought taking the stats one step even beyond Lunatic Tempest, but giving them almost no skills would be interesting? I mean, it kind of was, but I can see it getting real old real fast.

Squad Assault wasn't too bad.  I expected inflated stats, but without any skills they're not all that threatening, especially since you can check the map beforehand and fill up your team with hard counters.

I'm still training Mae, so I'll hold off on the Chain Challenge for now.

Chain Challenge is brutal... I mean, on normal mode, it's not bad if you have a good setup, but I can't imagine what Lunatic is like.

Haven't tried Squad Assault yet. I want to level more characters to 40 first. Nino and Alm are still in progress, and I have Summer Female Robin, Ninian, and Summer Gaius I could get to 40 too.

16 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

Huh, I thought it was because I turned off automatic updates.

In any case, I will need some more 5* units to tackle squad assault. Who to promote...

So far, i'm liking the new Chain Challenge mode. It's essentially Tempest Trials, but done much better, i guess.

On the other hand, Squad Assault can go burn in a hole. What are even are those stats? Even my strongest units struggle. I beat the first map with some difficulty, then got completely destroyed by the second map, and it doesn't help that it's got that bullshit forced deathless mechanic. I've hated that ever since the first Grand Hero Battle. Squad Assault? More like Lunatic+.

I've tried Chain Challenge on normal and it is just running through the story maps in a row, the enemies don't seem to have any kind of inflation to their stats as far as I know. It seems like a good source for HM and training units in the 30-35 range and getting some feathers as a bonus.

The mode seems to be more like Tempest Trials-lite, it plays by the same rules. You have a set number of teams (2 in normal) to defeat all the maps, damage and skill charges carry over, Renewal and Quickened pulse reset every map. 

Sadly it has the same penalty as the vanilla story maps, after clearing for the first time you win less EXP and SP so you can't really farm these. 

2 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I've tried Chain Challenge on normal and it is just running through the story maps in a row, the enemies don't seem to have any kind of inflation to their stats as far as I know. It seems like a good source for HM and training units in the 30-35 range and getting some feathers as a bonus.

The mode seems to be more like Tempest Trials-lite, it plays by the same rules. You have a set number of teams (2 in normal) to defeat all the maps, damage and skill charges carry over, Renewal and Quickened pulse reset every map. 

Sadly it has the same penalty as the vanilla story maps, after clearing for the first time you win less EXP and SP so you can't really farm these. 

I don't think HM is affected though, so it should still be good for that. 

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Chain Challenge is brutal... I mean, on normal mode, it's not bad if you have a good setup, but I can't imagine what Lunatic is like.

Haven't tried Squad Assault yet. I want to level more characters to 40 first. Nino and Alm are still in progress, and I have Summer Female Robin, Ninian, and Summer Gaius I could get to 40 too.

I didn't notice that there were any modes other than lunatic at first, and oh boy it is definently deserving of the title 'lunatic'. It is however definently doable since the maps and units never change. 

Oh my god my new Reinhardt is at level 30 and the perfect level to raise him the rest of the way on normal mode maps. Perfect.

Also, I cannot wait to see the strats from all those youtubers with their 3 and 4 star free units.

Edited by Gustavos

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So far, i'm liking the new Chain Challenge mode. It's essentially Tempest Trials, but done much better, i guess.

On the other hand, Squad Assault can go burn in a hole. What are even are those stats? Even my strongest units struggle. I beat the first map with some difficulty, then got completely destroyed by the second map, and it doesn't help that it's got that bullshit forced deathless mechanic. I've hated that ever since the first Grand Hero Battle. Squad Assault? More like Lunatic+.

Nah, these guys hardly even have any skills. Lunatic+ has enemies bring interesting skill combos. This is just like if they decided they should just tack extra stats onto vanilla Lunatic and call it a day.

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I don't think HM is affected though, so it should still be good for that. 

Yes, it seems HM is unaffected, so these are the most efficient way to grind HM at the time, while Tempest trials are still the best source for SP. 

1 minute ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Nah, these guys hardly even have any skills. Lunatic+ has enemies bring interesting skill combos. This is just like if they decided they should just tack extra stats onto vanilla Lunatic and call it a day.

By interesting, do you mean bullshit? Because i don't think Luna+, Pavise+/Aegis+, and Vantage+ are "interesting". Though, i guess, you do have a point in that Squad Assault isn't exactly Lunatic+ levels of bullshit. But the stats on Squad Assault enemies are too high imo.

Is there any reward for either of these modes after the first clear?

Is that Seal reward basically a second HP+3?