Squad Assault and Chain Challenge discussion thread

Alexmender

Because I can't help myself I have completed all the Lunatic chain challenges (still have most of normal and one full chapter of hard mode).  Paralogue 7&8 combined and Chapter 9&10 combined are definitely the hardest 9&10 especially is insane took me no less then 2-3 Stamina Potions alone just to beat it (I think I got Paralogue 7&8 combined on like my second try it wasn't even half as hard once I learned how to work around panic ploy it was a piece of cake).  But I did it because I'm stubborn and I like a challenge took me a while but I finally a had a run where I didn't mess too much and made it's so my first and second teams didn't die too early.  Anyways I'm going to commemorate my teams for 9&10 because I can and I want to celebrate because that was really hard.

Beginning til mid Ursula (Killed Ursula and all but two units) Michalis, Est, Jaffar, Clarine

End Ursula til Last Map: Camus, Leo, Elise, Cecilia 

Last Map: Hector, Lyn, Kagero, Sharena

If you're wondering why Horse Emblem can't just go through all the maps it Ursula her map is horse emblem death it Murders them. The main reason it took me way too long to do this I didn't think about making Horse Emblem my 2nd team for a little bit and not 3rd Team.  

Anyways this thing is doable my successful run it was hardely perfect as you see I didn't even complete Ursulas map entirely with that team we know they could've (that team would've still died to the next map though). Also I flubbed a little bit on to 3rd to llast map and lost Camus way before I should have as I made a really bad placement. So on the 2nd to last map it ended up with Cecilia as the last man (well women) standing barely surviving the chapter all because I found a spot where no one could move to at the time. Then I used my last team to finish the last map in a timely manner which even my horse Emblem wouldn't have been able to do (too many range units).  Which is what I found out when I made it all the way with my horse and the team one time and inspired me to make them the second team.

Edited by Locke087

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The madman has done it!

Mkv's free 3*-only Squad Assault clear; no seals. 3* Niles and Est make their debuts (obtained from the first round of Sacred Seals quests and from the Pegasus Sisters quests).

Edited by Roflolxp54

Spent a few hours last night trying to do Chain Challenge Paralogue 5+6 (Echoes & Brides). I don't have Horse Memeblem units like Reinhardt so I can't just trot around curbstomping everything in sight. I have to abuse position-play and the weapon triangle to make headway on Lunatic Chain Challenges where stats are inflated beyond belief.

I was using Robin in to wall Faye and the swordie in the first stage, and to distract the ninja and axe in the second stage, while Clarisse and Delthea took care of everyone else. This was working fine, though Robin never survived to the third stage, he was not required as Delthea can take Alm and Lukas, Clarisse handles Clair, and the pair of them handle Faye.

Then I reach the Brides. Hory sheet. I took Lucina, Frederick, Sonya and Azura, and somehow I made it to the last stage. I even was left with Lucina vs B!Cordelia, and I resigned myself to defeat when I saw Lucina's health.

This was extremely silly as my Lucina is +SPD and has Fury 3, so B!Cordelia couldn't double her, so Lucina would have survived a shot at full HP, and of course Lucina regens health over time. So I could have technically won but I didn't realise that until about 30 seconds after I charged B!Cordelia for the fuck of it.

Anyway, I still don't know how I managed to reach the final stage with that team as it was, and after several failed attempts to repeat that success, I decided that Sonya needed TA3 so she could OHKO Charlotte and Caeda, as this would make the Bride stages much easier and enable me to drop Frederick and bring a lancer to kill the red mage.

So, TA3. No orbs to try and summon a Roy or anyone else, and chances are I would not have rolled him when I needed him, so I had a choice: I could sacrifice my Clair or my Robin to give her TA3.

Well, Clair's physical perfection, and more importantly the ideal candidate to handle the red mage on the second bride map, and also she was a 5 star where Robin was only a 4 star, so I sacrificed Robin because his damage output was pretty much atrocious. I will miss him but not enough to lose battles.

Anyway, so Sonya received TA3 and she almost soloed the last stages.

But with whom did I replace Robin?

I thought that I had no one else likely to do the job right.

Except Lukas. But at only 4*, could he really wall both a swordie and Faye on his own? And do damage to them? And survive to the second stage to handle the ninja as well?

Well it turned out that he could wall, and annihilate, both... and the ninja ... and Alm. Did it in one attempt.

So the moral of the story is... Robin doesn't tip the scales.

Edited by Wanda

YES! Took way too much stamina but I finally completed lunatic 9/10! I kept messing up on the 7th battle but once I got all my team mates to survive that map the rest was easy. (One of the main problems of having only a few built up units). MVPs were Nino+2, Reinhardt, Olivia, and Genny. They almost managed to complete the entire thing by themselves. Reinhardt died to Embla Ike on map 9 and Olivia, Genny, and Nino died on the last map (Time maps are a pain), leaving only Ike and the blue cav to be cleaned up by Sharena and Minerva. 

I already finished the paralogues so I only have chapter 11/12 left. This map set is going to be hard as well. Tempest is so much easier then these....

So, kinda been planning squad assault for a bit, and nearly have it.

Team 1: 4* Selena, Cherche, Est, Oboro

Cherche tanks Jagen with defence boost and then finished in 2 hits. Oboro then takes over and tanks Marth and Caeda. On next player phase Oboro hits and Cherche finishes Caeda, then being repositioned while Est is moved to be ready for next turn. Oboro tanks Marth again, hits him again and Est finishes. Could do in 4 turns if I hold my ground, though even accidentally charging forward is fine. Unfortunately Est is bad at taking hits, could be more interesting otherwise.

Team 2: 5* Camus, Xander, 4* Ursula, Frederick

This one was tough. Yeah, had to go all out on this one. Mount Emblem allows Ursula to 1-round Leo, Xander can beat Camilla on turn 2 after tanking in EP. Camus tanks on the next enemy phase while Ursula moves to bring Elise in for next turn. Ursula then kills Xander with her special, Camus moves close to Elise and Xander finishes her off (Yep, I did it. I'm terrible.)

Team 3: 5* Hector, 4* Draug, Zephiel, Wendy

This one is awkward, but essentially Hector tanks the blue cav and the archer while the rest take out the sword users (especially Wendy). Probably should give Draug reciprocal aid to help.

Team 4: 5* Azura, 4* Lilina, Roy, F!Robin

This one is a tanking map. Managed it, with Chrom being beaten by Azura, while Roy tanks Frederick, F!Robin and Lilina contributes beating him and then they get round to Lissa. Really, once that's sorted it'll be fine.

Team 5: tried with 5* M!Robin, Springcina, Eirika and 4* Lissa. Still lost.

Yeah, this one has me a bit down. Kinda stuck on what to do with the knives. What do people suggest? 

Edited by Dayni

54 minutes ago, Dayni said:

So, kinda been planning squad assault for a bit, and nearly have it.

Team 1: 4* Selena, Cherche, Est, Oboro

Cherche tanks Jagen with defence boost and then finished in 2 hits. Oboro then takes over and tanks Marth and Caeda. On next player phase Oboro hits and Cherche finishes Caeda, then being repositioned while Est is moved to be ready for next turn. Oboro tanks Marth again, hits him again and Est finishes. Could do in 4 turns if I hold my ground, though even accidentally charging forward is fine. Unfortunately Est is bad at taking hits, could be more interesting otherwise.

Team 2: 5* Camus, Xander, 4* Ursula, Frederick

This one was tough. Yeah, had to go all out on this one. Mount Emblem allows Ursula to 1-round Leo, Xander can beat Camilla on turn 2 after tanking in EP. Camus tanks on the next enemy phase while Ursula moves to bring Elise in for next turn. Ursula then kills Xander with her special, Camus moves close to Elise and Xander finishes her off (Yep, I did it. I'm terrible.)

Team 3: 5* Hector, 4* Draug, Zephiel, Wendy

This one is awkward, but essentially Hector tanks the blue cav and the archer while the rest take out the sword users (especially Wendy). Probably should give Draug reciprocal aid to help.

Team 4: 5* Azura, 4* Lilina, Roy, F!Robin

This one is a tanking map. Managed it, with Chrom being beaten by Azura, while Roy tanks Frederick, F!Robin and Lilina contributes beating him and then they get round to Lissa. Really, once that's sorted it'll be fine.

Team 5: tried with 5* M!Robin, Springcina, Eirika and 4* Lissa. Still lost.

Yeah, this one has me a bit down. Kinda stuck on what to do with the knives. What do people suggest? 

I used Hector to deal with the final map, as he can easily kill everyone exept for Navarre. A good Blue unit and him should do the trick. Distant counter in general is pretty neat against knives.

I think the problem is more that you use your stonger units early on, instead of saving them for the last map that has the most inflated stats. For instance, I imagine most bulky blue units (like a 3* Subaki) can keep Xander away for a turn, an that would let you save Camus for the final map. I also managed to clear the third map with a -Raven tome user, two somewhat tanky lance users (5* Sharena and 4* Wendy) and a healer. Cecilia dealing good damage to lance cav helped a lot though...

Maybe F!Robin, M!Robin, Zephiel and Wendy can clear it for you? (M!Robin takes the bow, Wendy tanks the lance and F!Robin kills him, and then your armours tanks the swordies while M!Robin helps damage them).

Other then that, you can always copy Mkv's  strategies (the video is still posted on this page).

Do you have any brave users left over? I see you also didn't use Olivia. Everyone on the final map has a ton of Spd and Res, but super garbage Def. This is pretty much makes them brave weapon food. Throw in Olivia and each side can be cleared rather quickly (although, if not using a blue brave user, you'll probably need to bring in another bulky blue lance to have it out with him once the brave clears the other three).

So, I'm a little late to the party on this one since I was pacing myself on Chain Challenge while Tempest was active, but TIL that Reinbow Pulse + Brave Axe+ Cherche + 2x 4* Olivia can beat Chain C11 + C12 deathless. Shout-outs to Reddit for reminding me of Cherche's awesomeness when I was feeling skeptical about putting her in.

Switched Team 3 to M!Robin (with Bowbreaker he was fine), Springcina, Donnel and Olivia, which worked fine, and made Team 3 my team 5. No other changes.

Hector laughs at the ninjas (Though Zephiel killed one), and so long as none of the swordies on my side died to Wrys (suboptimal placing left them in range) I was good to go. Navarre was doing 1 damage to Wendy on each hit. 

Yeah, I approached than map wrong before. Let's see what SA2 brings.

Took me a few tries since I wanted to save best units for last. Took some suggestions here, too.

ended up with:

1- Effie, Narcian, Gordin, Maria

2- Zephiel (Camilla bait), Clarrise, Ursula, Linde

3- Sharena (Lancebreaker), Nino, Robin M, Merric (with Gronnraven)

4- Tharja, Lyn (with Hone Speed and for bridge chokepoint), Lucius, Felicia (solos Lissa to the right)

5- Hector, Xander, Reinhardt, Camus (Quick Riposte makes short work of everyone here and all but Rein deals with thieves no problem)

in hindsight now I wish I didn't clear it yet since Map 1 is good for Effie SP and HM grinding which she really needs

Update 1.6 is available for download now and brings Squad Assault 2 with it. Was able to tackle it, but things are getting a little crazy. One of the blue armours had 83 HP. The final map has all units with 60 HP and around 30 of both Def and Res. Not a big deal, right? Well, the map's also 10-1 and brings all the normal map mechanics with it. The Squad Ace B 1 Seal is +1 Def. Not really sure what to do with it. I guess I could throw it on Lukas for the luls.

Dang, I don't think I'm ready for Squad Assault 2, haha. The 1st one was pretty hard, and still need to do some quests and the chain battles. With the new challenges happening soon, there's going to be too much to do again, haha.

That took a few tries, but I managed to beat it. I was a bit worried about the last level with Ike, but turned out I could beat it pretty easily with basically the same team as I beat the original lunatic map. (I just had to actually save those units for the last map) I'll post how in case it actually helps anybody get some ideas. Most builds are pretty standard, except the 4* units are vanilla.

Spoiler

Map 1: 4* Effie, 4* Caeda, Spring Camilla, Summer Robin

Brought Caeda just to Fortify Fliers on Spring Camilla. Camilla attacked Takumi, almost killed him, Robin repositioned her out. Effie stood at the top bridge waiting for Ryoma to suicide into her. Camilla bopped Takumi to death again and got Repositioned, again. Robin and Camilla killed Hinoka and Effie killed Ryoma. Camilla cleaned up Sakura after.

Map 2: 5* Xander, 5* Camus, Olwen, 4* Cecilia.

Cecilia did literally nothing but take up space. Xander baited the bottom Ninja and Camus gave everyone Fortify Cav. Next turn Move everyone back so Matthew attacked Xander again and Xander almost killed him from from Bonfire damage. Olwen moved adjacent to the mountains and killed Mathew, Camus Repositioned her out of the way and Xander moved away behind Camus. Serra suicided on Camus and next turn Camus killed the last ninja with Bonfire up.

Map 3: Eirika, Nino, Bride Caeda, Azama.

Azama just mean looked disapprovingly at everyone as he did nothing. Eirika-buffed Nino blew the blue armor knight apart and Caeda used drag back to get her out of Tharja's range and only into Robin's range. Robin suicided on Nino while Tharja and the axe cav moved up. Moved out of the axe cav's range but let Caeda bait Tharja. Almost killed Tharja, then killed her next player phase. Nino and Eirika killed the axe cav.

Map 4: Summer Tiki, Bride Cordelia, 4* Lillina, 3* Olivia

Grouped everyone by the bottom middle. Enemies moved up, Cordelia kills the blue flier and Tiki moves her out of the red mage's range with Reposition. Camus and the mage move down just in the right spot for Cordelia to move below him and shot over his head to kill the mage. Tiki moves and Repositions Cordelia behind her so she body blocks Camus for her. Michalis meanders towards Lillina and Olivia. Tiki eats an attack from Camus(no QR, she's vanilla besides Repositon), then attacks him on player phase. Cordelia finishes him off, and Lillina bodies Michalis in 2 hits with dance. (why is she so slow)

Map 5: Cordelia, Tharja, Hector, Alm (Renewal healer build)

Cordelia has Hone Spd and Hector and Alm both have Hone Atk. With buffs Tharja one rounds the archer by the wall, then Alm heals her back to full with Reciprocal Aid. Soren attacks her on enemy phase and they're both at 39 spd, so she can't hit back. Next turn she kills him and gets Repositioned back with Cordelia. Hector sits next to Cordelia to bait the blue lancer. He kills the lancer on enemy phase thanks to Bonfire, and I moved Cordelia to the right a bit waiting for the red mage to creep up the side. Tharja kills the axe cavalry that moved up. All the really happens after is Cordelia kills the red mage, then the archer that moved up, and nobody else makes it close enough before the timer runs out.

I guess the seal seems like it could be pretty useful. I'll probably give it to a tank unit with Bonfire.

Squad assault 2 was dumb and crazy but I beat it regardless.

Team 1:

4*

Narcian,

Clair (reposition),

Sharena (sapphire lance, Swordbreaker, Luna)

5* Lilina (bowbreaker, Reciprocal aid)

Spoiler

Narcian baits and kills Hinoka, Lilina kills Takumi, Clair repositions to safety, Lilina steals Clair's HP, Sharena and Lilina kill Ryoma, then corners Sakura and pokes to death

Team 2: Horse emblem,

4*

Cecilia (gronnblade, Fortify),

5*

Xander (QR, Fortify),

Camus (Fury, Vantage, Goad)  

Elise (Rehabilitate, Hone)

Spoiler

Xander QR kills all the thieves, Elise heals, then finish off Serra. The other cavs are just here for buffs and moral support lol

Team 3:

5* 

Delthea (Lancebreaker),

Mathilda (Darting blow, iceberg),

Gray (no relevant SI),

Eirika (Reposition)

Spoiler

Delthea wrecks Tharja and the lance knight, Gray kills the axe horse because Zanbato and Mathilda pokes Robin until Delthea can safely pick him off. Eirika buffs obviously 

Team 4:

5*

Michalis (QR, Hone speed), 

Ephraim (Speed+3, Hone speed, Rally Def, Hone Res seal),

Nino (Fury, Desperation),

3* Olivia (Ruby sword)

Spoiler

Michalis QR kills the lance flier, repositions Nino to kill the other Michalis, then QR kills Camus as well. Red mage cavalier goes on the opposite direction for whatever reason, buying me some time. Then speed buffed Ephraim kills the red cavalier. 

Team 5:

5*

Celica (Green Tomebreaker, Darting blow, Threaten Res, Draconic Aura)

Ninian (Hone Atk) *Didn't fight at all

Priscilla (Live to serve, Hone speed)

Zephiel (Threaten Atk, Bonfire)

Spoiler

Celica kills archer, gets healed and enemy phase kills Soren. Zephiel chokes point while Celica picks off the other ranged infantry. Priscilla keeps everyone at full HP while Ninian dances.

Edited by Korath88

Can someone tell me what the last map is? I haven't gotten there yet, and I'm now (for some reason) stuck on the 2nd map when I was able to make it to th 4th map the first time. If I can know beforehand what the last map is, I can decide if I can drop some of my stronger people on the 2nd map instead of saving them.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Can someone tell me what the last map is? I haven't gotten there yet, and I'm now (for some reason) stuck on the 2nd map when I was able to make it to th 4th map the first time. If I can know beforehand what the last map is, I can decide if I can drop some of my stronger people on the 2nd map instead of saving them.

The last map is that reinforcement map with Ike and Soren.

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

10-1, I think is the story chapter. Defend for 6 turns, with Ike at the bottom. Axe/Lance Cav, Red Mage, and infantry bow reinforcements.

Isn't map 2 the Raven/Adept = auto-win one? I know there was one where I literally deployed Sophia, Lachesis, and two random 3*s because it was only thieves and a staff.

Edited by LordFrigid

1 minute ago, LordFrigid said:

10-1, I think is the story chapter. Defend for 6 turns, with Ike at the bottom. Axe/Lance Cav, Red Mage, and infantry bow reinforcements.

Isn't map 2 the Raven/Adept = auto-win one?

Yes, it's that one. Kagero and M!Robin were easy-win units for that one.

Thanks. So I DO need to save my good units.

7 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Isn't map 2 the Raven/Adept = auto-win one?

It should be, but the Thieves have really high Res, so they don't die fast enough unless I have someone else also kill.

Also, I'm out of ideas vs Camus. I can't kill him, not with his Red Mage Cav buddy around.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Thanks. So I DO need to save my good units.

It should be, but the Thieves have really high Res, so they don't die fast enough unless I have someone else also kill.

Hm. Which are you using? iirc I shoved Sophia in everyone except Serra's range and it was over within 5 turns or so. Could be D-Fang doing work there, I guess. I know she got off a couple of them.

Just now, LordFrigid said:

Hm. Which are you using? iirc I shoved Sophia in everyone except Serra's range and it was over within 5 turns or so. Could be D-Fang doing work there, I guess. I know she got off a couple of them.

F!Robin lol, the only T-Adept Raven I have.

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

F!Robin lol, the only T-Adept Raven I have.

R.I.P. I guess you could hide a Brave Axe/Lance/Sword behind her?

On Camus, do you have a 5* Camus of your own? You can put him in the upper right deployment slot, and he can reach the red mage's range (on the opposite side of the forest tile) once the block is broken. I wanted to first-turn KO him (edit: "him" being the red mage) with Reinhardt, but that stat inflation is craaaaazy.

Edited by LordFrigid