Squad Assault and Chain Challenge discussion thread

Alexmender

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Also as a side note, I'm curious how MKV will tackle this one since he can only use Donnel once (He's probably had nightmares about this scenario).

Isn't subverting the dominant strategy the entire point of the mkv strats?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

If you kept every single free unit since release, you'd have 3 copies of Donnel.

You can’t reuse duplicates though. RIP Sakurawhale.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Unless I misunderstood, you're not allowed to use dupes at all. Even if it technically is a different unit.

OK, yeah, he can only use Donnel once. Can't spam dupes on the same team and can't use another copy later in the run.

Chapter 10 Chain Challenge was...actually not as bad as I thought it would be, though it's likely that some of my perceptions of its difficulty come from the quest clears which forced me to use units that aren't quite my usual team.

Meanwhile I just wiped it with my A squad. 10-5 Ike took maybe like, 3-4 turns too.

I'll have enough stamina to do the 9-10 combined but I think I can do it as long as I can keep Ryoma's HP above a reasonable level. I'll just have to BoL whenever I can.

Edited by Thor Odinson

So, the entire list of free units:

Spoiler

Anna (story)

Virion (story)

Alfonse (story)

Sharena (story)

Raigh (story)

Matthew (story)

Olivia (Hero Battle)

Sophia (Hero Battle)

Stahl (Hero Battle)

Gunter (Hero Battle)

Felicia (Hero Battle)

Hana (Hero Battle)

Subaki (Hero Battle)

Donnel (Hero Battle)

Cecilia (Hero Battle)

Lissa (Hero Battle)

Wrys (Hero Battle)

Narcian (Grand Hero Battle)

Female Robin (Grand Hero Battle)

Ursula (Grand Hero Battle)

Navarre (Grand Hero Battle)

Xander (Grand Hero Battle)

Zephiel (Grand Hero Battle)

Michalis (Grand Hero Battle)

Lloyd (Grand Hero Battle)

Camus (Grand Hero Battle)

Legion (Grand Hero Battle)

Clarisse (Grand Hero Battle)

Female Corrin (Android-only login gift)

Draug (quest)

Niles (quest)

Barst (quest)

Palla (quest)

Catria (quest)

Est (quest)

"Marth" (Tempest Trials)

36 unique free units (will be 37 once Tobin becomes available) in the game... wonder how Mkv and others would try and clear Squad Assault.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Map 3 of Squad Assault was perfectly made for Robin(M) 4* (Triangle Adept). He just needs someone who takes care of the blue guy one the horse.

72+ orbs and around 20k awards for chain challenges and 2 orbs plus seal for the squad assault, but my first thought was: why are there no quests? :D:

Edited by mampfoid
Typo: no / not

5 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

So, the entire list of free units:

Hide contents

Anna (story)

Virion (story)

Alfonse (story)

Sharena (story)

Raigh (story)

Matthew (story)

Olivia (Hero Battle)

Sophia (Hero Battle)

Stahl (Hero Battle)

Gunter (Hero Battle)

Felicia (Hero Battle)

Hana (Hero Battle)

Subaki (Hero Battle)

Donnel (Hero Battle)

Cecilia (Hero Battle)

Lissa (Hero Battle)

Wrys (Hero Battle)

Narcian (Grand Hero Battle)

Female Robin (Grand Hero Battle)

Ursula (Grand Hero Battle)

Navarre (Grand Hero Battle)

Xander (Grand Hero Battle)

Zephiel (Grand Hero Battle)

Michalis (Grand Hero Battle)

Lloyd (Grand Hero Battle)

Camus (Grand Hero Battle)

Legion (Grand Hero Battle)

Clarisse (Grand Hero Battle)

Female Corrin (Android-only login gift)

Draug (quest)

Niles (quest)

Barst (quest)

Palla (quest)

Catria (quest)

Est (quest)

35 unique free units in the game... wonder how Mkv and others would try and clear Squad Assault.

Through the power of a deity.

Did he get stuff from the first Tempest?

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Through the power of a deity.

Did he get stuff from the first Tempest?

He actually did get Quickened Pulse according to his Twitter page. And yeah, forgot about "Marth"; edited the post.

Edited by Roflolxp54

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

He actually did get Quickened Pulse according to his Twitter page.

So he's also got 7 seals to play with, plus a 36th choice (Enigmatic Blade Marth isn't listed)

8 (known) seals and a 37th choice (Tobin) if he waits a day.

tfw when your Tsubaki actually does 0 damage to the Xander..

edit: whelp..beat it on the second try..pretty much thanks to everyone's advice! knew to save the best for last and stuff. god those inflated stats though...

all vanilla unless otherwise noted (only noted if it may have been relevant)..

4* Tsubaki
5* Azura
4* Cherche
+ lvl 7 4* cheerleader Lukas that did nothing

5* Lon'qu (Fury)
4* Ursula
5* S. Lucina
4* Sakura

5* Camus (L&D)
5* Xander (Fury, QR)
4* Cecilia (Fortify Cavalry)
5* Priscilla
(ahem Horse Emblem gg..)

5* Tharja
5* Olivia
5* Cordelia
5* Hinoka (lvl 34, only there for Cordelia buffs, though idk if those were necessary...)

5* M! Robin (T-Adept 2)
5* Kagerou (Fury)
5* Klein
5* M! Corrin (Fury, QR)

fff my M! Corrin barely survived Navarre on the final map with 1 HP, i'm so proud..

Edited by wizzard of soz

These orbs actually scare me a bit. So many orbs have just been given to the player and yet something is fishy here. Giving you so many orbs means there is potentially another limited banner coming really soon. If you spend here you might be out of luck for August (could very well be the CYL banner).

Scares me a lot because not only do I want all the summer units but I also want a better Tempest unit... even Another Faye with a worse bane could still be used for SP grinding and a +1 for my current one. But what I need to spend to get these units could be any amount.

105 orbs total. Not counting daily and arena orbs. Could I pull a tempest focus AND the other 3 summer units with that alone?... it's ambitious. I know one thing though, if I pull a non-focus *5 from the Tempest banner I'm done with it.

Assault finished

Round 1: Narcius (lv.1), Sharena (5*), b.Lyn, Legion (4*)

Round 2: Lucina, Nowi (4*/lv.35), Effie (5*), Jorge (5*)

Round 3: TA Cecilia (5*), Jagen (lv.1), Minerva (5*), Cordelia (5*)

Round 4: Pala (5*), Olwen, Tharja, dancer (Azura)

Round 5: Zephiel,  Eldigan, B.Quadelia, Kagero.

Tried to be stingy, but not always could...

Edited by Tenzen12

I am using Chain Challenge to get some of my 30ish characters ready for TT. I just had the funniest run. I was running Xander, Azura, Boey and Faye (which some of you knew and encouraged me to do). I underestimated Jagen on the first map and it set up Azura to die on map two (of ten). I cruised with the other three until the map with Leo and Xander and lost Boey. Then I got careless and lost xander to odin on the next map. Then Faye cleared every map by herself until the last map where Peri and Xander just destroyed her. It was a fun little run...and Faye got up to 5*, level 40 ahead of TT.

Edited by jameslove001

6 hours ago, Astellius said:

Yay, another member of the cleared on first try club! *high fives* I thought that it would be really hard, so I held off on using some of my best units. And then it was over, and several of them went unused. Oh well!

Also had the problem of being stingy early on and not using some of my better characters...

Squad assault was a lot easier then I imagined. I probably can't build 5 good balanced teams right now, but if I only need to counter team stuff it's a different story. Having a good ammount of decent 4* units trained up helps a lot (unless you're a whale and have a lot of 5* units of course).

Units used, for those intrested:

Spoiler

Round 1) 3* Subaki, 4* Michealis, 4* Palla, 4* Cordelia

Flier emblem ftw. Michealis kills Jagen in two hits because of threaten def and goad fliers, and Subaki can handle the rest on his own. I regret bringing Cordelia, as she didn't do anything apart from looking pretty, and there were other red-heavy maps...

Round 2) 5* Camus, 4* Nowi, 5* Roy, 4* Serra

Roy deals with Camilla, Camus deals with Leo and Elise, and Nowi deals with Xander. Nowi only needed to tank two hits, but she ended up killing Xander on her own. Camus has some SI (okay, he's just fully built), but I don't think he needed any of it. Serra was there because healers are cool and I wasn't sure if I needed Camus to do evrything.

Round 3) 5* Cecilia, 5* Sharena, 5* Elise, 4* Gwendolyn

Cecilia lured and killed the archer while my lance users formed a wall to block the cavaliers and later Roy. Cecilia had TA3, but I think she can two round the archer without it? Not to sure. Sharena tanked a hit from the lance cav and killed him after that with some help from Cecilia. After healing Sharena it was pretty much a cake walk, as neither Roy nor the sword cav deal any real damage to Gwendolyn and Sharena. Not sure whether Sharena and Cecilia could kill the lance cav as fast without any SI, but I could have kept her healed to wear the guy down otherwise. Elise could easily have been replaced by any other healer with Rehabilitate.

Round 4) Takumi, M!Corrin, Linde, Tharja (all 5*)

I figured I might as well go all out for the last two maps, so I used some of my better units here. Linde destroyed Chrom when he got close enough, M!Corrin repositioned her out of the way (he probably could have just moved in front of her as well) and tanked Freddy. after that Tharja killed Fredrick and Takumi and Corrin dealt with Lissa. Takumi wasn't nececary at all, but I had a different archer ready for map 5 and wanted to let him have some fun.

Round 5) 5* Hector, 5* Klein, 5* Reinhardt, 4* Olivia

I had most of my heavy hitters left for this map, so it was pretty easy. Hector killed one thief and Wrys (so he basicly dealt with the left side), while Klein killed the other thief and Rein handled Navarre. Olivia wasn't needed at all, so I probably could have given the HM to someone else.

I've only cleared the first chain challenge so far, but it seemed pretty intresting. It was pretty tough with the team I used (Linde, Nino, Lilina and Olivia), but since it wasn't a very well constructed team and only one unit had any inherited skills, I guess it was to be expected.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some more squad assaults in th future.

15 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

I've only cleared the first chain challenge so far, but it seemed pretty intresting. It was pretty tough with the team I used (Linde, Nino, Lilina and Olivia), but since it wasn't a very well constructed team and only one unit had any inherited skills, I guess it was to be expected.

Oh hey, this is my Blade team. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose.

The 10 map Ch9+Ch10 seems really hard. 
Just finished 5 map Ch9 and ended up needing my 2nd team on the last map, due to some little mistakes. Since the last chain has the units with some extra stats, I think, I'll need to be really careful when I try it.

I've completed everything up to Ch5+Ch6 and only need the last chain on Ch7+Ch8, plus Ch10 and Ch9+10. Paralogues every 3 map chain is complete, missing the last 2 Paralogues to complete the last chain battle. 18 more orbs to get on these.

7 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Oh hey, this is my Blade team. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose.

I like all three of those mages, so not entirely true I guess. It's more that only one of them has a blade tome and inherited skills, so it's not a very strong team at the moment. A well build Blade team would incredibly scary...

@Astellius Can I join too? Squad Assault was pretty cake first time around too.

Map 1 was a Brave Lance Effie solo @Arcanite, except Legion got to do a thing too.

Map 2 Let my QR Lukas get two Ignis procs against Xander. Ouch.

Map 3 was problematic but I managed to get through with Sharena facetanking the cavs while Tharja and Spring Lucina picked off the archer as well as any stragglers. She was left with 1 HP against Roy, who did a whopping 0 damage to her. Yay.

Map 4 actually made me field my -Spd Celica with no skills, though Horse Emblem with Camus, Xander, and friends took over from there after she chipped Chrom.

Map 5 was a Bride Cordelia solo. She's put in a ton of work so far on Chain Chomp and Squid Assault, and I have no doubt she'll hit max HM in no time.

5 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Map 1 was a Brave Lance Effie solo @Arcanite, except Legion got to do a thing too.

HEH Exactly as I predicted 

Effie saves lives my friends

Without Effie, there would be no Ragnarok

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

HEH Exactly as I predicted 

Effie saves lives my friends

Without Effie, there would be no Ragnarok

Effie chokes the point. Green mage? Pfft. Out with the Draug, in with the Wary Fighter.

Her lance ain't even + though

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

Effie chokes the point. Green mage? Pfft. Out with the Draug, in with the Wary Fighter.

Her lance ain't even + though

Green mage? Why, I've never even heard of such blasphemy!

Nothing can take an Effie to the face!

Ig this is a good way to get feather wings, but I don't really need any right now and I especially won't need any after this next tempest trials. Idk, I'd prefer some orbs. Dang, I can't even beat that lunatic thing past round 3. I'm used to sacrificing units, so this is not my kind of thing.

Edited by SSbardock84

Well, beat Squad Assault first try. Not actually all that hard even though I went in not totally understanding how it worked.

1. 5* Julia, Lucina, Femui; 4* Clarine: My go-to ace team. I actually didn't realize that you couldn't reuse units, so this was a waste.
  2. 5* Michalis, Mamui (lvl 39), Linde; 4* Kagerou: Linde smashed Leo and Xander, while Mamui and Michalis handled Elise and Camilla. Kagerou did nothing.
  3. 5* Lilina, Merric, Sharena; 3* Serra: Merric lured in the archer, Lilina finished him. Then it was just Sharena tanking while they chipped and Serra healed.
  4. 5* Chrom (lvl 35), Masked Marth (lvl 33); 4* Wrys, Catria (lvl 38): This one was just holding the choke point with Chrom and Wrys while Catria chipped Lissa to death with Luna. Tedious, but very easy.
  5. 5* Titania, Xander, Camus; 4* Sakura: My sorta-Horse Emblem team sans Clarine. Easy pickings thanks to Gradivus and Siegfried's inbuilt Distant Counter.

Used up all of my 5* units except Lyn and Hawkeye. Overall I'm not very enthused by this mode. Hacking apart massively overbuffed units that don't even have skills isn't interesting, just a test of how many powerful units you have. Hopefully Chain Challenge is better.