Critique my splices

kingpiny

Hey guys, I've been lurking on the Serenes spriting forum for a bit now and I wanted to try my hand at a few splices. I've been working on variations of these four splices for about 2-3 weeks now, and I would greatly appreciate any critiques or just general feedback I could get on the splices that I've made so far. 

8nXEURm.png

Edited by kingpiny

You should upload your sprites in their original, unzoomed resolution. This way they can be judged properly. Just going by eye though, here's what needs fixing.

From left to right:

1. Good job on the hair and face. I'm having a hard time telling where you got your pieces from, which is a good thing when it comes to splices. Everything from the chin sown needs work though. He needs more shading on the neck to make his chin stick out a bit more. His armor could also be touched up. It's clear you're trying incorporate Ephraim's armor, but it's not done well. The way the cloth attached to the shoulder armor made sense. Here, it's not clear what's supposed to be going on.

2. Simple fix. Needs more shading on the forehead and neck. It looks very flat. Also, round out that cheek of his. It's unnaturally sharp.

3. Yikes, where to start with this guy. His chin isn't properly outlined, so it looks like it's stuck to his neck. Even if it were outlined properly, that doesn't change what a poor fit it is. The way the body is positioned, his head should not be facing at that angle. If you're dead set on using Geitz's body and Hector's face, I'd redo the whole thing with the version of Hector's face that's facing the player. You should also at least recolor the body to differentiate it from Geitz.

4. Nothing much wrong with this one. His hair looks kind of flat though, so it could be shaded better.

The head looks like it's one of Astra's mugs.

Regardless, generally speaking, it's considered sprite theft to splice from others' custom portraits without their explicit consent.

Edited by Teapot

9 hours ago, Teapot said:

The head looks like it's one of Astra's mugs.

Regardless, generally speaking, it's considered sprite theft to splice from others' custom portraits without their explicit consent.

Alright, I'll remove the first mug; my mistake. I found a mug on google images (I think it was GBA Sigurd?), thought it looked nice, and decided to use the face. Also, if possible, could someone tell me exactly which user I stole from so I can clear things up with them? Thanks, and sorry about that.