Inspiration from past games

What could Fire Emblem Switch learn from past games in the series. There's a lot of discussion to be had here, whether it be the inclusion of Voice Acting like in Echoes or having Dragon Vein styled mechanics like in Fates. There's a lot to be said of what this new game will take from what it's learned over it's 15 game lifespan. If anything at all, what would you like to see return?

I wouldn't mind seeing the return of FoW maps maybe with a dragon vein style mechanic to help disperse the for in certain hidden away areas, for example.

I'd like to see SoV exploration taken one step further with full towns and more interesting dungeons. Also the voice work should be up to the standard of this last game.

Cutscenes were much better quality in Awakening and Fates, but more relevant in SoV. Some of the cutscenes in the former two games felt unnecessary. So I hope there's a return to the style of 13/14 but with an emphasis on story importance.

For gameplay, Conquest and RD are my favourites so hope there's inspiration taken from them as far as level design, objectives, skills, etc. Supports should be like PoR or SoV.

For story I would like something grand, but more Jugdral or Tellius rather than Ylisse/Fates. Those two latter worlds went too far into the "shonen anime" spectrum for my liking.

And for animations, the 3DS games clearly took inspiration from the GBA games in trying to be flashy as opposed to the at times dull animations in Tellius. Hopefully they can do some cool stuff on the Switch to continue making battles more dynamic. 

Genealogy of the Holy War style arenas would be nice. I think it's great way to have weaker units gain a level or two without the full out grinding the more recent games have employed. Also trial maps are something I'd like too see come back, though I suppose they have kind of been replaced by DLC as of late.

having many chapters with fe4 size maps with a more mature story and voice-acting would be amazing. 
also add in Thracia's fatigue system for the units to make more interesting gameplay

Edited by jchall

Bring back GBA style Canto, but give it limitations to balance it, for one, don't allow it after attacking, that's just too much, and second, give it limitations, i've seen some people suggest that units shouldn't be capable of using it if they don't have enough HP, which i think is a fair limit.

Also, bringing back Dismount could be cool if done well, just give each mounted class have a foot counterpart with lesser stats so that they can still play a similar role in combat they did before.

Cantors that summon other cantors.

To seriously answer the question though, I'd like to see the capture mechanic from fates but actually helpful for more than just having generic soldier battles with friends. I thought that it was a really cool mechanic when I first heard of it but then I never used it. I'd really like to see them bring it back and change it so it's more helpful or can give you other things too like intel on the next map or something like that (even though we can just look at everything in the chapter beforehand anyways).

On 7/9/2017 at 1:03 AM, Pin4apple said:

Cantors that summon other cantors.

I mentally screamed in abject horror upon reading this.

As for an answer to the question, I'd personally like to see dismount actually make a return.

Some kind of army's home base to hold support conversations like 13 and 14. Keep the balanced attack/defense stance from 14. Fully voice acted lines from 15. Keep skills tied to classes rather than having a set of 5-6. Bring back weapon durability because I'm not a fan of the steel and silver weapons lowering my stats. Why go for a kill and be exposed in enemy phase when I could use a forged iron weapon and stay safe?

Oh and this may be an unpopular opinion but I would prefer if units only promoted to one class instead of having branch promotions. Makes it more even of a playing field for all recruitable units since one unit won't get the shaft just because someone else does a better job in their class.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Also an arena system like in Genealogy.

Yup!

Dismounting like in FE5. No absurd horses or wyverns sitting on a throne. For that reason alone! Nah, but I liked that mounted units have to dismount indoors. Kind of forces you to use other units as well. But do not lock them to just swords...

1 hour ago, MadJak91 said:

Dismounting like in FE5. No absurd horses or wyverns sitting on a throne. For that reason alone! Nah, but I liked that mounted units have to dismount indoors. Kind of forces you to use other units as well. But do not lock them to just swords...

Yeah, I would way prefer that dismounted can use other weapon types than just swords. For examples, cavaliers could use a lance when dismounted, and in fact, could have the soldier class when dismounted. 

I think I want the route split and later merge idea to come back from FE5/FE6/FE8, and reclassing akin to how it was handled in either the DS games or Fates. BExp is also a pretty cool idea if it worked as it was in RD where the higher the difficulty the less experience gained.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-7-12 at 2:00 AM, Flee Fleet! said:

Also an arena system like in Genealogy.

I agree with this. Either that or have arenas earn some other materials like in Fates. Also, if arenas do come back, I really hope they remember to remix a past battle theme this time around. I was disappointed Fates used a boring track instead of a remix as is tradition. 

Iirc FE6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, and 14 haven't had an arena remix. So theres plenty to choose from depending on what fits best. Conquest (Ablaze) or Road Taken (Roar) could fit for the 3DS games since they don't have separate battle themes. 

Edited by Book Bro

I thought that it was really neat how in radiant dawn you could only attack through walls that had holes, the height system was also cool how it could make you really consider the potential dangers of trying to take some shortcuts and for just general defense and made pass more necessary to get. The allied units were an excellent part of PoR and RD and I would also love to see them return I do think that it could be fixed up to let you command different squads rather than the entire group of allies. Radiant Dawn also had what in my opinion was the best trinity of magic in the series, it gave every magic type an individual purpose rather than just being different flavors of the same thing.

While I have never played mystery of the emblem (Original) I have read about the manakete mechanics and the way that they would transform for a set number of turns rather than just transform at the beginning of a battle so long as they have a dragon stone equipped, I feel like it could be used to add another layer of strategy to manaketes and beast stone users where they have no weaknesses when untransformed and they get the typical problems when they are, kind of like the laguz which I would also have no problem seeing return in some capacity.

I personally quite liked the my castle mechanics of fates, I do think that the way that fates handled it was a bit poor but I think that if it was more refined it could be a great way to allow players to create their own maps for other people to play and to just the customization is just fun to toy around with, I really did like the social aspects of fates as well even if renown rewards did become incredibly grindy, that I feel could be refined to make it feel less painful to get the highest ranked awards maybe to add more buffers to prevent burnout before you get the final rewards. Another thing that fates did that I would love to see in the FE Switch was the way that amiibo were handled, being able to recruit characters from past games was fun and I liked how some old favorites could join in the fun it's nice to see Ike return to a main series FE in all his radiant heroey goodness.

From SoV I would love summoning mechanics like gaiden, They could put an upper limit on the summons themselves to prevent them from being over powered like if they made it so you could have a much lower number of dread fighters than soldiers rather than making the maximum number just be a static 8 limit on everything, then being able to command them like PoR and RD allies could help, much like the Holy Guard in PoR. Also, SoV dungeons were great. I would like towns, I think that you could make them work with the my castle mechanics also present.

A post game like Sacred Stones would be a fun addition I really liked the tower of valni and lagdou ruins were really fun and the rewards were also really cool. though SoV was pretty great too in that regard, I also loved SS's monsters where they had individual classes and there was quite a good variety of them as well.

the dismount mechanic is also one that I have been curious about.

I would like to see the return of RD's skill system, I feel like it was less grindy and made you really need to think about what skills to give to whom and they could add a skill shop in game to make more skills available for purchase.

I also miss rescue but I think hoping for that to return is a bit overly optimistic.

Edited by thecrimsonflash
more to add

From FE2/15 - Flexible villager class that can become many classes, voice acting, and some sort of visual representation for the places you go on the map

From FE4 - Arena and the ability to repair weapons for money

From FE5 - Incredibly varied growth control, dismounting, fog of war, and varied map objectives

From FE6-8 - Map supports and constitution that influences AS

From FE9-10 - BEXP, weapon forging, base conversations, and skill caps

From FE10 - Height and universal third tiers

From FE14 - MyCastle(Preferably mixed with the things that could be taken from FE4)

Not really sure if each thing should all be in one whole game, but seeing a number of these things return would be nice. Also, didn't really go over things that have continuously been in the franchise, like skills.

Edited by Slumber

On 2017-07-06 at 4:24 PM, Book Bro said:

Cutscenes were much better quality in Awakening and Fates, but more relevant in SoV. Some of the cutscenes in the former two games felt unnecessary. So I hope there's a return to the style of 13/14 but with an emphasis on story importance.

I agree that Fates' cutscenes often felt less important than in Awakening and Echoes, but I don't think Echoes is a shining example of when to implement cutscenes. Berkut and Rinea dancing isn't exactly very important for the story, and Celica's dream is one giant red herring.

Anyway, I'm not sure I want exploration to be a focus in Fire Emblem games. While I can see the benefits, open world and exploration games are a dime a dozen nowadays, and it's hard to really make something that feels new and fresh with it like Breath of the Wild did. 

What I really want to see again that should never have been removed in the first place are base conversations. Helps with making it feel like you're making progress and minor characters can chime in on what's happening. It's great.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Anyway, I'm not sure I want exploration to be a focus in Fire Emblem games. While I can see the benefits, open world and exploration games are a dime a dozen nowadays, and it's hard to really make something that feels new and fresh with it like Breath of the Wild did. 

I'd expect exploration in FE to be more similar to Shining Force (basically, letting you explore towns, battlefields, etc. like any other JRPG) over it being open world.

• 1 month later...

FE3/11/12- Maybe bring back the star shards, or something to influence growth rates? I also liked the reclass system here, where it limited you to how many of 1 class you have. But I don't think that idea would be popular.

FE2/15- if it fits with the story (maybe a peasant revolt), then I would love to see the villager system return.

FE4- I liked how politics was integrated in this story. The villains had motivation for what they were doing. Even the Lopt Sect.

FE5- Same story reasons, also liked how they had scrolls (basically star shards). I also liked how you had to use nearly every character thanks to the fatigue system, but that probably won't be popular either. I also liked the dismount feature, but that can be approved upon. Pegasus knights become more like the soldier class and keep their spears on foot- same for cavaliers.

FE6/7/8- I really liked the character design of these games. The majority of the designs were simple, but still had flare. Even the characters that didn't have big personalities still had a nice design, i.e. Noah, Marisa, Harken, etc.

FE9/10- the bonus experience system

FE13- hmmmm.... I liked the character customization the most here out of the 3 games that were here. Character Customization still needs more variation if it's going to be present again (i.e. skin tone, armor set, facial hair, maybe different sections for bangs and other hair)

FE14- the mechanics (Pair up was more balanced, MyCastle was neat for the most part, reclassing had more limitations... sort of. Conquest had a lot of good gameplay)

Edited by Dandy Druid

FE 1/11: Maybe ballisticians? If they do come back, they would have to be at least situationally beneficial, and can actually keep up with the group! Also, I prefer how they looked in Shadow Dragon to Fates: a person with a siege engine, rather than a man inside a weird tank contraption. Also, variety in the types of dragons.

FE 9 and 10: These two games are probably two of the best examples of cutscenes and story relevance. Also, canto was great in these games, and shove did have its uses. Ledges in Radiant Dawn, as well as archers and mages being able to shoot through walls that have holes in them. Base conversations would also be great. Finally, light/dark/anima magic the way it was in RD was fantastic.

FE 13 and 14: 1-2 range swords that are thrown overhead and straightforward. That's exactly how one might throw a sword historically (it was highly situational, such as if a crossbowman is aiming towards you and you have nothing else).

FE 2/15: Archers having more than a range of 2 made them very useful; more useful than they usually are. Spell selection bein unique to the magic user was also interesting.

From the GBA games" Light Magic. I think everyone wants to see it back.

FE7: Hector's Tale had a chapter that was basically FE4's "seize multiple castles" except it was done right, as the map size wasn't unnecessaryly huge.

FE10: Never played but the ledge mechanic seems very interesting.

FE14: Would not mind seeing Pair-up again. Fates actually balanced it.

FE15: The Turnwheel is a must. It's a much better alternative to casual mode. Also, Arts. Arts>>>>>>Skills because Arts can be activated whenever you want them to (for a cost) as opposed to just relying on luck. Oh, and bring back the 2-5 range Archers as well. The way mages were handled in SoV should return in FE Switch as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really "inspiration" but I want to see diversified map objections in the Switch game, particularly defense missions since those are the most memorable type of objectives from the games that I've played (namely Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones and Fates:Conquest). Really adds alot of diversity and tension to the game since based on the objective, you really have to switch up your tactics.

That being said, if the switch game has good map design, than I'd be fine with linear objectives. There were quite a few chapters in New Mystery of the Emblem, Shadow Dragon, and Binding Blade where the map design was able to create situations very similar to defense / escape chapters due to very well placed reinforcements (though this may have been due to the reinforcements being spawn-moving).