Character Units Outside The Weapon Triangle

While the weapon triangle appears to be an important factor to both the roster and how the game plays, I'm curious to wondering how other units may function, since that may or may not apply to them. Such classes include:

• Archer
  • Mage
  • Ninjas/Thieves(?)/Maid/Butler
  • Manakete

Of course, such a thought also depends on whether Fates' ranged weapon triangle applies, which in that case, the only class exempt would be Tiki and potentially Corrin, assuming that we do not gain any other transformation characters.

Will update as more information comes along, but otherwise feel free to discuss

It is entirely possible that the niche of magic is that it hits resistance as opposed to defence, allowing you to cheese certain high defence enemies with the right setup.

Archers do bonus damage to fliers, and if they happen to be a dangerous enemy class due to their unique quirks, they likely have strategic use in that sense.

How hidden weapon characters will function is definitely a huge question, but they might function as debuffers akin to their use in Fates, lowering certain enemy stats. How that would work well outside of bosses I have no idea.

Shifters are a big question mark, but they might just have the niche of being exempt from the triangle altogether.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It is worth noting that the Taguel and Kitsune/Wolfskin have Beastbane as a skill, so it's possible they'll be anti-cav. 

Taguel Knight, when?

I'd see it going one of four ways:

1. They do it like in Heroes, where only the physical ranged weapons and staves are "outside" of the weapon triangle; this would also mean that mages and Manaketes are subject to the weapon triangle, though they would have their own individual places on the triangle (like Tiki being "red" versus Corrin being "Blue")
  2. They have it like Fates where every single weapon type besides stones are within the triangle; all mages would be red, all archers would be green, and all hidden weapon users are blue.  Staves are omitted because they aren't treated as weapons, necessarily, and it looks like that'll be the case here
  3. They go the traditional route and have only the three main weapon classes within the triangle; it might make the most sense because we're probably gonna see a lot more people using those three weapon classes over people using magic, stones, or hidden weapons, though I don't see how big a deal it would be to make an easy change for these types of units
  4. Every single weapon type is part of the triangle except staves since they're items

I'd like it most if they do it like Heroes, though with elements in mind, it's very likely magic/beast superiority will be a "meta-triangle" instead of there being "blue, red, green" types of those weapons.

Archers obviously should do more damage against flying units. Maybe make them weak against swords/axes/spears.

Mages should have their own weakness triangle. Fire>Wind>Lightning>Fire or whatever order they want, and Light<->Darkness.

Ninjas/thieves/maids/butlers normally use knifes or swords, so that's solved.

Manaketes/Laguz/whatever shape-changing units will be in I think should have no weaknesses or advantages, make them kinda "neutral".

Since this game is already using elements on top of the traditional weapon triangle, I hope they keep things simple and leave bows/tomes/shuriken/stones out of the traditional axes/swords/lances triangle.

I'm going to rule out the magic triangle just for the fact that Robin's gameplay uses all different sorts of anima magic.

I assume it might be Fates style for gameplay balance, so Mages, Archers, Ninjas won't have an advantage over the rest of the roster.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:32 AM, Escalario said:

Archers obviously should do more damage against flying units. 

this was confirmed to be true in the first bit of information we got.

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

this was confirmed to be true in the first bit of information we got.

Which begs the question: do bows do more damage if they are not the main weapon, like Lucina's light arrow thing. 

17 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Which begs the question: do bows do more damage if they are not the main weapon, like Lucina's light arrow thing. 

That i'm not sure of haha. It might be like how Sheik in HW had different elements in her moveset.