Questions about the forum update

I'm asking this because it seems to be quite different to the "friends" option.

Following is only onesided while adding a friend was twosided already.

My main issue is that foreign people started to "follow" me without giving me the option to accept or decline the request. I don't want to be followed by people I don't know the heck who they are because I don't know if they could be bots. That's the reason why I disabled the "follow" option.
I'd like to activate it back but only if there's a way to remove people from this list:
wieNSwR.png?1

Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

I might be openmouthy right here but the entire previous SF should be back.

1. I can't do LPs anymore in a proper way because BBcodes were removed.
  2. I have more than 600 notifications in my notification box I'd like to delete but can't.
  3. I can't even post properly because of the double post glitches and the fact that I have to restore the saved content of my previous post every single time which is super annoying and caused me some fake posts like quote boxes I couldn't delete in a normal way.
  4. People can add me as friend now without asking me for agreeing anymore - an absolute no-go for me!

Sorry for my complaining but that's how I really feel since mid January.

I wasn't here for the old SF, but I have 10 followers and I'm pretty sure only half of them ACTUALLY read what I say

A friend system would be great

In the previous SF you had the option to agree or decline a friend request. If you accepted, you had them as a friend too already.

In this version apparently everyone can follow everyone without letting the followed person ask for agreement. You also have to make the extra step by following the person who followed you.

Following isn't really the same as friending, tbh.  Friending was always a two way street, if one user had it so would the other.  Following can be one way, it's more or less just a part of the notification system.

At least, that's how I see it.

The only travesty brought by New SF is the BBCode view being gone tbh.  Makes it a pain to edit the text colors in my sig.  And also the lack of titled spoiler tags.

42 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Actually, disable it entirely and bring back the friend list. I wish this could happen really

yes

31 minutes ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

I might be openmouthy right here but the entire previous SF should be back.

1. I can't do LPs anymore in a proper way because BBcodes were removed.
  2. I have more than 600 notifications in my notification box I'd like to delete but can't.
  3. I can't even post properly because of the double post glitches and the fact that I have to restore the saved content of my previous post every single time which is super annoying and caused me some fake posts like quote boxes I couldn't delete in a normal way.
  4. People can add me as friend now without asking me for agreeing anymore - an absolute no-go for me!

Sorry for my complaining but that's how I really feel since mid January.

yes

Shall I edit the title to #BlameNewSF?

Following isn't really the same as friending, tbh.  Friending was always a two way street, if one user had it so would the other.

And that's the main issue I have.
I don't want to be "stalked" by people I don't know.
I only want to have familar people as my friends / followers.

15 minutes ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

And that's the main issue I have.
I don't want to be "stalked" by people I don't know.
I only want to have familar people as my friends / followers.

I mean, even if it was a two way street, they can still see all your posts without friending.

You're not obligated to followback either.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I mean, even if it was a two way street, they can still see all your posts without friending.

That's right, but I still don't want see foreign UN / avatars in my profile. It gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

Also Idr if you could see all your posts in the previous version. I believe so but it wasn't as public as it is now. I guess you had to do multiple clicks on the profile to find them. Seeing all my posted content in my title profile site also gives me an uncomortable feeling.
I suggest now to add the option of disabling letting other members viewing my profile.

Weird, I believe you can disable that feature that shows who watched your profile if that is what you mean or at least you could in the previous version...

oh brother, what have you done Jyo...

also you can still do lps just fine, i do. just write the post in a word doc and leave the images as links, they'll embed themselves

from what I recall, sf has been having the double post problem for ages, so going back to the old update wouldn't solve that issue

it has become more complicated to use codes now though, because when I go back to edit a post the codes I've typed before will have already been merged with the text so editing it becomes weird :c

but yeah idk how much going back an update could actually help us though, I'm pretty sure from what I've heard older versions are more vulnerable. We kinda just have to go with IP Board's flow

2 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:
  1. I have more than 600 notifications in my notification box I'd like to delete but can't.

Have you tried editing your notification settings?
That solved the problem for me.

36 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

from what I recall, sf has been having the double post problem for ages, so going back to the old update wouldn't solve that issue

it has become more complicated to use codes now though, because when I go back to edit a post the codes I've typed before will have already been merged with the text so editing it becomes weird :c

but yeah idk how much going back an update could actually help us though, I'm pretty sure from what I've heard older versions are more vulnerable. We kinda just have to go with IP Board's flow

The only double posting problem on SF pre-update I can remember was that you'd occasionally double post from mobile. Double posting is a lot more common now and not restricted to mobile, especially in bigger threads.

But yes, I agree that if the new version is safer, then it is a better option despite any issues that may come with it. Security is more important.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

#BlameNewSF

Dude, did you ask Tristian for permission for that?

Just now, Hattusili I said:

I thought it was only on Skype...

Hey Tristian, can I blame new SF here too?

the double post thing is a lot more common since the update, but we have no idea how much it's related to the update since we also had a pretty big uptick in traffic and therefore a pretty big uptick in it happening

that said one of the annoying things about the update is that if an op gets doubleposted for some reason, both posts are treated as thread ops and we can't merge/hide/delete them, which alone gives the doublepost thing more visibility by a lot

also there's 0% chance of us rolling the update back but it's a lot more secure and, more importantly, has about 3,000% better mod tools for us to play with B)

2 minutes ago, Integrity said:

3,000% better mod tools for us to play with B)

Remind me not to mess with you

Don't want to be operated on with these "mod tools" heh

3 hours ago, Arcanite said:

I wasn't here for the old SF, but I have 10 followers and I'm pretty sure only half of them ACTUALLY read what I say

A friend system would be great

Oh, I read what you post.  Your boisterous posts are always entertaining.

What I simply don't understand about the update is why it removed features like viewing a post in source mode for no apparent reason.
...unless those somehow were the reason for security issues, but come on.

5 minutes ago, Integrity said:

idk i'm pretty good looking

I won't dispute it ;)

44 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Oh, I read what you post.  Your boisterous posts are always entertaining.

Why, thank you! :D:

15 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

What I simply don't understand about the update is why it removed features like viewing a post in source mode for no apparent reason.
...unless those somehow were the reason for security issues, but come on.

It's. . .complicated, and it drives me nuts, too.  I had a much easier time editing things with BBCode, instead of this text editor.  But alas. . .

. . .well, at least it's easier for me to nuke the double-posts.

9 hours ago, Integrity said:

you could always follow people on old sf though, there just wasn't a list

Huh, really?
Didn't know that.

9 hours ago, Integrity said:

also you can still do lps just fine, i do. just write the post in a word doc and leave the images as links, they'll embed themselves

I tired my to do my latest LP on word. But it ended that the images from word to this forum were corrupted in their colours. Had to replace each single image in SF which tripled the time for update. It was so timeconsuming and a waste of effort that it wasn't worth to burn my freetime for this at the end.
I also wanted to restore all my parts before the update because of the broken spoiler tages. I can't even fix them properly because all the parts which include spoilers inside, become corrupted.

8 hours ago, Hattusili I said:

Have you tried editing your notification settings?
That solved the problem for me.

The only double posting problem on SF pre-update I can remember was that you'd occasionally double post from mobile. Double posting is a lot more common now and not restricted to mobile, especially in bigger threads.

But yes, I agree that if the new version is safer, then it is a better option despite any issues that may come with it. Security is more important.

The only thing I could do, is to turn off any notifactions which would make replying and interact with people quite a lot harder.
Since my box is full already it doesn't make a difference if I will get 600 more messages in my notification box.

Funnily I don't doublepost as much as most other people but only reading through all the double or even double triple posts is annoying.

8 hours ago, Integrity said:

the double post thing is a lot more common since the update, but we have no idea how much it's related to the update since we also had a pretty big uptick in traffic and therefore a pretty big uptick in it happening

that said one of the annoying things about the update is that if an op gets doubleposted for some reason, both posts are treated as thread ops and we can't merge/hide/delete them, which alone gives the doublepost thing more visibility by a lot

also there's 0% chance of us rolling the update back but it's a lot more secure and, more importantly, has about 3,000% better mod tools for us to play with B)

My intention with this thread wasn't originally to ask for a return of the previous site (lol, I don't know the opposite term of update).
I just would like to have some issues fixed or removed like the option for deleting notifications or brining BBcodes back.

As far I see no one knows a solution for my original problem.
RIP friends I guess.