Rex Glacies plays Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones!

Rex Glacies

Which route should I take?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which route should I take?

• Only Eirika.
    • Only Ephraim.
    • Eirika first, then Ephraim.
    • Ephraim first, then Eirika.

6 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Waiting to defeat the boss to long will result in the spiders coming out. Which begs another question - are these spiders just monsters that live around these mountains, or are they servants of the Demon King of old? As in, have they lived here for centuries, or have they just come into being recently much like the Bonewalkers and Revanants in a previous chapter?

Either is a possibility. Monsters have prowled Magvel even after the defeat of the Demon King. However, the number of monsters appears to have been few, and concentrated around Darkling Woods (and perhaps the totally unexplained Lagdou Ruins). It's only recently that monsters, which the spidery Baels are among, have appeared in significant numbers across all of Magvel. So perhaps the Bael in C6 has been there for centuries- there is only one of them, not a horde, a lone survivor of the passing centuries sounds feasible. But on the contrary, maybe it's a stray newborn instead.

I think I touched upon this already, but why is Grado so hateful towards Renais? They were at peace, and a good peace... from Renais's standpoint. But most every Grado allied soldier hates Renais and wishes to see them suffer. Why? Is Grado envious of Renais? Was the Grado-Renais alliance benefiting Renais more than Grado?

Every... Gradoan? so far who has spewed hated of Renais has been an officer yes? Well that might be explicable, since if you recall the end of C3 with Vigarde (sweet name and looks by the way) he made some... questionable military promotions with elevating Riev, Valter and Caellach to Gemstone rank. It's possible all the named officers the player just so happens to fight are similar cases, and the honorable good ones are being killed offscreen/as peons.

(Yet another question. Why can all the enemy sorcerers teleport while none of the good ones can? It's like in every Fire Emblem game.)

I do like Novala for cussing off his superior- rather rare that you see an evil minion (and a Shaman of all things- not a brute) do that to an evil boss- more often they fetish them.

As for the teleport- well in FE5, you can steal/capture some Rewarp staffs from the enemies for infinite-self moving (though they don't appear until very late I think). Toss one on Forseti!Ced or Resire!Linoan watch them destroy. And in Shouzou Kaga's Fire Emblem clone TearRing Saga, you do get a Witch named Sierra with an infinite self-teleport skill (with the ability to attack afterwards) called Warp, plus a final chapter Gotoh with the same skill. Sierra's stats are a bit lacking, but given Janura (Nosferatu) she can tank well enough, or you can give her anything else if you just want damage- she's a bit too good so I've heard, particularly if you do the trick to getting her early.

To make self-teleport work for the player without it being broken, they either have to give the unit stats that won't be too good, availability issues, or put some restriction on the teleport- like no attacking after warping, or restricting the warp range- things that Fates and SoV did.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

I think I touched upon this already, but why is Grado so hateful towards Renais?

Because certain someone has an inferiority complex but more on that later ;)

Why can all the enemy sorcerers teleport while none of the good ones can?

Heh. That seems to be the case. In general, I feel like in RPGs, teleportation is usually the evil guy's thing. Funny that in FE5 the evil sorcerers later almost always have Rewarp staves but you cannot get them other than by capturing said sorcerers. Good guys have to rely on Warp staves :/

behold: the Can Opener Attack

Heck yeah!
Now imagine the fighter gets stuck and the knight walks away with him! That would be a great gif but I cannot make it :D

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Either is a possibility. Monsters have prowled Magvel even after the defeat of the Demon King. However, the number of monsters appears to have been few, and concentrated around Darkling Woods (and perhaps the totally unexplained Lagdou Ruins). It's only recently that monsters, which the spidery Baels are among, have appeared in significant numbers across all of Magvel. So perhaps the Bael in C6 has been there for centuries- there is only one of them, not a horde, a lone survivor of the passing centuries sounds feasible. But on the contrary, maybe it's a stray newborn instead.

My personal guess is that it has lived here there for a while - possibly a whole colony. After all, why else would so many people know of it - Novala, the hostages, that random villager? In fact, the random villager even gives an antitoxic because he knows the spider is poisonous. But it still is weird. Most Fire Emblem games tend to keep the setting realistic (in addition to dragons and magic and the like), so what would a random hoard of spiders be doing here?

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Every... Gradoan? so far who has spewed hated of Renais has been an officer yes? Well that might be explicable, since if you recall the end of C3 with Vigarde (sweet name and looks by the way) he made some... questionable military promotions with elevating Riev, Valter and Caellach to Gemstone rank. It's possible all the named officers the player just so happens to fight are similar cases, and the honorable good ones are being killed offscreen/as peons.

That is a possibility. I was saying such because in a previous chapter Eirika stated something about how the victims of Renais were "killed, houses burned, women kidnapped" (paraphrased). If such destruction happened, then it was likely the result of soldiers, not just commanding officers. But, I guess the officers could have ordered their soldiers to act in such ways...

Nonetheless, that is a cool idea - about how Grado's good people might be silently "silenced" in order to better spread destruction.

23 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do like Novala for cussing off his superior- rather rare that you see an evil minion (and a Shaman of all things- not a brute) do that to an evil boss- more often they fetish them.

I did enjoy that aspect, though I didn't get the chance to talk about it. Most of the time in fiction enemy soldiers just blindly follow their leaders commands. But Novala didn't really: he followed commands, but he found Riev weird, didn't like him, and wanted his position. It's just a fun thing to see some differentiation in even minuscule, one-chapter enemies.

As for teleportation... that was actually a joke of sorts. It's prevalent in nearly all video games - enemy sorcerers can teleport but the good guys rarely can.

7 hours ago, MadJak91 said:

Heck yeah!
Now imagine the fighter gets stuck and the knight walks away with him! That would be a great gif but I cannot make it :D

Oh, now that's even better! If I had any abilities in making GIFs, I would do that. But alas, that is a skill of which I lack.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sorry for the really long wait again. My Wii U wasn't cooperating for a good while, but I was able to finish the next chapter.

Chapter 7: Waterside Renvall

Spoiler

With no time to lose, Eirika and her companions rush to Castle Renvall, where Ephraim is being held captive. The fortress is nigh impregnable, surrounded by a lake with the only entrance being a bridge controlled by the enemy. Eirika has no choice but to take them on headfirst.

59b9ffb903978_71.jpg.7139917bed1cac169f2c17ddd51c6917.jpg

Ah, this is interesting. Something that I noticed about the Sacred Stones is that a lot of people are related to others. Eirika and Ephraim, Franz and Forde, Ross and Garcia, and probably more. It’s simply an interesting observation.

59b9ffbbb6f73_72.jpg.bea3b89e53de44fd3e6ac4fa7f5a3fb9.jpg

But Franz isn’t the only character who is making a statement about invading the fortress. All of the characters are… which is a trademark of the final battles in Fire Emblem. Might this game be over sooner than I thought?

Regardless, the battle begins!

59b9ffc0262a2_73.jpg.8807b62dc19d7fc73133eb5096705ae9.jpg

This man in a house near the castle is remarking on Tirado - Valter’s second in command. Much like Novala and Riev in the chapter before, this guy sounds like he wants Valter’s job.

59b9ffc2de361_74.jpg.62c2b9115c3da7a64d3a536193e81227.jpg

Phew, I did not expect this. It’s the battle of the 1 HPs! … I should have brought more healers in this chapter.

And, they all missed their attacks. Crud. I mean, good the enemy missed, but Neimi to miss twice?

59b9ffc675d2a_75.jpg.840c4933e2ed2281c1d6c295de6024cf.jpg

Franz was able to finish that guy off, fortunately.

59b9ffc975c30_76.jpg.a990a9fd74d73328d26e4612b026531a.jpg

So, now Neimi is just riding around with 1 HP. I could use vulneraries, but why waste them?

59b9ffcbc8f6b_77.jpg.83edf3fdd5bec53ac16b42a669b5b9fc.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that the pirate animation is a little… off? I noticed it in FE7 as well - when the pirate swings his axe, the unit takes damage a few milliseconds after the axe is swung. Or something. I dunno. To me, it just seems off.

59b9ffcfaf7d9_78.jpg.a73d6ce2a80fc47c62626753e34dce39.jpg

... I really should have brought Moulder in here as well. Or use vulneraries. No! I’ll never use vulneraries when there is a healer!

… What do I have against vulneraries?

59b9ffd32c97c_79.jpg.7fe97c4899ae90e2b750041806ef2b9f.jpg

Say, is there an easier way to build support in this game aside from just having the two characters wait next to each other? Because, this is silly.

59b9ffd573e66_710.jpg.96b0b8524a5714484f2de02a813fae5e.jpg

Anyway, difficult support grinding apart, we have seized the castle! And look who has come to greet us! It’s Orson, one of Ephraim’s knights! But something feels off…

Well, Orson states that he and Ephraim were captured, but Orson just managed to escape his cell. Eirika realized that Grado must have done horrible things to him - his face is horribly pale. But Orson says he is fine, though he doesn’t know about Ephraim. He then begins to guide them to the deeper prison cells, where Ephraim is being help captive

13 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

The fortress is nigh impregnable

Guarded by a few weekend soldiers and a cavalier boss with subpar stats! Grado is taking this invasion very casually!

I could use vulneraries, but why waste them?

Same.... haha. I always think there will be a better time to use one but that time never arrives and I end up hoarding vulneraries :D
It is like hoarding Elixirs in FF games...

Say, is there an easier way to build support in this game aside from just having the two characters wait next to each other?

Plus they can only support once per chapter. Like an idiot, I used to wait and wait and wait before realizing that my first time through. Although I think support points STILL go up because I could support immediately the next chapter. Hm.

• 1 month later...