Recommended MU class for a first playthrough?

On what difficulty will you be playing? I know many experienced players recommend Fighter!MUs (even though I'm not really sure why) but Dracoknights are also amazing in this game so you might want to go for a class that belongs in set A, that is Cavalier-Mage-Curate-Myrmidon-Archer; in that case Cavalier is probably the best to build your Lance weapon rank and for the increased mobility. Personally I found the game plenty manageable back when I first played on the easiest difficulty with a Mage!MU (I find the mages in this game pretty underwhelming, but what do I know?)

6 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

On what difficulty will you be playing? I know many experienced players recommend Fighter!MUs (even though I'm not really sure why) but Dracoknights are also amazing in this game so you might want to go for a class that belongs in set A, that is Cavalier-Mage-Curate-Myrmidon-Archer; in that case Cavalier is probably the best to build your Lance weapon rank and for the increased mobility. Personally I found the game plenty manageable back when I first played on the easiest difficulty with a Mage!MU (I find the mages in this game pretty underwhelming, but what do I know?)

I plan on playing in Normal, most likely. Also, I'm certain people prefer Fighter!MU because people think MU is the best axe user in the game. That, or because it grants you Pirate/Berserker as a reclass option.

I'm tempted to go with a Female Mage!MU because of Nosferatu, but I'm having second thoughts, hence the topic.

Edited by FluffyWarlock

Anything, really. The MU does every class better than everyone else.

Other than that, I guess the one unique thing a MU has is having high magic in physical classes and high strenght in magic classes, so that would make a pretty good Levin Sword Myrmidon>Swordmaster.

Fighter is recommended mainly because axes are the worst represented weapon type early on; you get plenty of lance, sword and bow users, tomes aren't that high-demand until later, and the base clerics do staffs best. Barst is the first "good" axe user you get and he's a little behind when he joins without statboosters and a Pirate reclass. And while they're never in high demand themselves, axes are a very good weapon type early on since the only common sword enemies are Cavaliers, Thieves, and Astram's Hero squad. It also transitions beautifully into a Dracoknight reclass on promotion.

7 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Fighter is recommended mainly because axes are the worst represented weapon type early on; you get plenty of lance, sword and bow users, tomes aren't that high-demand until later, and the base clerics do staffs best. Barst is the first "good" axe user you get and he's a little behind when he joins without statboosters and a Pirate reclass. And while they're never in high demand themselves, axes are a very good weapon type early on since the only common sword enemies are Cavaliers, Thieves, and Astram's Hero squad. It also transitions beautifully into a Dracoknight reclass on promotion.

Oh. Of course, I'd need to beat the game on Hard mode, at least, to access the Dracoknight reclass as a Fighter, which is the problem. Besides, I don't think Warrior can be considered a good class to end up on. I mean, yes, you can use bows, but...

Anyway, how good are dracoknights in this game?

26 minutes ago, FluffyWarlock said:

Oh. Of course, I'd need to beat the game on Hard mode, at least, to access the Dracoknight reclass as a Fighter, which is the problem. Besides, I don't think Warrior can be considered a good class to end up on. I mean, yes, you can use bows, but...

Anyway, how good are dracoknights in this game?

They're still pretty good.  Being a flying Hammer is really helpful on a couple of the later maps.  They also get lance access, for Dragonpike.

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

They're still pretty good.  Being a flying Hammer is really helpful on a couple of the later maps.  They also get lance access, for Dragonpike.

Gotcha.

Anyway, any tips on beating the game on hard mode, so I can pull off the Fighter => Dracoknight thing X-Naut talked about?

Just now, FluffyWarlock said:

Gotcha.

Anyway, any tips on beating the game on hard mode, so I can pull off the Fighter => Dracoknight thing X-Naut talked about?

Beat the game on Normal first.  You'll get a feel for what's going on, and FE12 has weird pacing.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Beat the game on Normal first.  You'll get a feel for what's going on, and FE12 has weird pacing.

Gotcha. I'll try to make do with Fighter => Warrior for the playthrough, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

It would be easier if you went Fighter>Pirate>Berserker, as your MU is probably going to have much higher skill than the other Berserker you get in Darros (all the way at Chapter 12). Sure, you won't be able to reclass until Chapter 1, but there isn't much difference in Fighters and Pirates, but there is for Berserkers. Berserkers are faster than most of their WTA (except Falcoknights, but they're only a promo option for your Pegasus Knights). The only reason to choose Warrior is if you have some real problems dealing with Wyverns (and there is a good chance you will, or you might).

12 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

It would be easier if you went Fighter>Pirate>Berserker, as your MU is probably going to have much higher skill than the other Berserker you get in Darros (all the way at Chapter 12). Sure, you won't be able to reclass until Chapter 1, but there isn't much difference in Fighters and Pirates, but there is for Berserkers. Berserkers are faster than most of their WTA (except Falcoknights, but they're only a promo option for your Pegasus Knights). The only reason to choose Warrior is if you have some real problems dealing with Wyverns (and there is a good chance you will, or you might).

If I go Berserker, which past, present and future would you recommend?

I actualy liked fighter->hero when i did it. That way, you only have to get one weapon rank, and you can start using all of the c rank swords (especialy wyrmslayer). Heroes also have really good base stats. I unfortionatly don't remember what past, present, and future i used.