Need some advice on roleplaying a personality similar to Peri...

For my next character sheet for D&D I wanted to make, it might be a bit controversial... I was going to go for a personality similar to Peri, from Fire Emblem Fates...

We pretty much all know the deal with her. Childish murderess and whatnot, but I am somewhat drawn to her character, thus I decided to make a character based on her

So how can I successfully roleplay such a personality? I even got a character sheet if anybody wishes to look at it right quick before telling me what to do...

Disclaimer: I haven't played tabletop RPGs in almost a decade and never touched D&D, so I'm not familiar with potential peculiarities of the system or setting.

Anyway, this seems very much like a character you should talk about with your group beforehand. Peri, as any chaotic evil character (I do know that D&D concept ;) ) can very easily hog the spotlight and force the other players to either ignore their character's moral compass or just instantly kill Peri after she gleefully disembowels a merchant. Even if she manages to keep her murders hidden from the rest of the group ingame (which the real Peri wouldn't since she doesn't see gory murder as something she'd need to hide) - you would claim a lot of the GM's attention unless the whole group is in for some wholesome slaughter of the innocent. Additionally, most people in most RPG settings lack understanding for such actions, so normally, your character would soon be hunted by the authority and/or other groups of adventurers.

If your group is fine with that playstyle - playing exaggerated villains, not heroes - you're golden, but if they aren't, you could try to mix in some Reina: Fascination with human suffering and death, combined with Peri's lack of empathy for the one dying, but not crazy enough to kill someone just out of boredom. Maybe someone working as a mercenary with a bit too much... enthusiasm about her work. Both ideas could keep the somewhat creepy dissonance of a sadistic child. But I would advice to make sure that your char doesn't start domineering the entire play - that can become boring for the other players, and frustrating for the GM when his carefully crafted (or bought :D ) adventure gets derailed because your character decides to torture the most important NPC for shits and giggles.

To truly RP someone like Peri, you'll need to understand why she acts the way she does.  In her case, her mom was murdered by a servant.  That's why she murders her servants, as well as why she's so into cooking. . .and if you want to stretch things further, why she never matured past eight years old.

If you can build some sort of convincing past for your character, you'll have a much easier time acting them out.  RPing someone like Peri doesn't mean you shank people just because.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

To truly RP someone like Peri, you'll need to understand why she acts the way she does.  In her case, her mom was murdered by a servant.  That's why she murders her servants, as well as why she's so into cooking. . .and if you want to stretch things further, why she never matured past eight years old.

If you can build some sort of convincing past for your character, you'll have a much easier time acting them out.  RPing someone like Peri doesn't mean you shank people just because.

Sounds good! 

Well, here is the character sheet... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdeF9hSEZKVFVyQWM

Edited by BlackSymphony

10 minutes ago, BlackSymphony said:

Sounds good! 

Well, here is the character sheet... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdeF9hSEZKVFVyQWM

I'm gonna be blunt - you'll need a lot more than that.  Her only notable trait is a lack of empathy, which makes for a pretty boring character.  See if the answers to these questions help to flesh out her character:

1. How does she know that she lacks empathy?
2. Does she feel that her lack of empathy is a problem?  Why or why not?
3. Who are her parents?  Does she have any siblings?  What kinds of people are they?
4. How does killing others benefit her?
5. How does this party benefit her?
6. What notable events does she have in her past?

There's a lot more questions to ask, and I'm definitely forgetting a few key ones.  However, this should give you some idea of who she is.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm gonna be blunt - you'll need a lot more than that.  Her only notable trait is a lack of empathy, which makes for a pretty boring character.  See if the answers to these questions help to flesh out her character:

1. How does she know that she lacks empathy?
2. Does she feel that her lack of empathy is a problem?  Why or why not?
3. Who are her parents?  Does she have any siblings?  What kinds of people are they?
4. How does killing others benefit her?
5. How does this party benefit her?
6. What notable events does she have in her past?

There's a lot more questions to ask, and I'm definitely forgetting a few key ones.  However, this should give you some idea of who she is.

Well, this is a TRPG, so I do need to work with the GM to come up with some backstory. This is just a mechanical sheet of how she operates, as well as alignment...

I think Chaotic Evil is in order still, but over time she might start moving up the alignment chart, as per character development.