BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle!?

MediocreLee

So this got announced not too long ago at EVO.

It's essentially an Arc System Works crossover fighting game with BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, and Uniel with guest(s) from RWBY.  I'm not quite sure if there'll be more RWBY reps than just Ruby herself, but I would love to see the main team and Pyrrha.  And I'm generally just excited to see all of the anime fighting glory that is the beauty of Arc System Works.  I'm not very good with their fighting games, but I'll at least try.  Here's hoping for more Persona reps (mostly Akihiko for me and maybe even a P5 rep because why not?) and Nine (Konoe) from BlazBlue to make it in.

Any thoughts, concerns, hype, general "what the hell did I just watch" comments?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something. I'm trembling. a;lkfjeipohjag.n,bwrupgj

Nobody saw this coming. Hopefully it's good.
BlazBlue is likely going to have the most characters-- thinking the split may be like 40%BB/30% Persona/15% Uniel/15% RWBY.
Hopefully the game gets fully dubbed-- not hearing Patrick Seitz, David Vincent, or JYB in the trailer felt odd and CF's lack of dub (and shoddy translation to boot) gives precedence.

As for anybody curious about RWBY: I really like it, but it definitely has its issues. It always tries to a bit too much, and between that and troubled production it hasn't quite reached its full potential. (The first three volumes released over 3 years were meant to be the 1st season and it shows-- they work really well together and absolutely don't work on their own. Similar deal with Volume 4-- it's slow paced and unexciting, setting things up for the future.)

EDIT: Okay, saw this pointed out on Neogaf. In an interview, the question was broached about which BB game the Switch would get (the logo popped up during the "confirmed games" image during the Switch presentation). He dodged the question. If it was a simple CF port, it probably would've been announced by now.
So I think the game appearing on the Switch is likely.

Edited by The DanMan

This game came out of nowhere at it looks AWESOME! The inclusion of Ruby Rose absolutely blew me away, I can't wait to see how Arcsys handles her as a guest fighter. However will put it out there that the lack of Guilty Gear characters feels like a huge opportunity lost I my opinion, but I think there is still time to add a few if the game is still very early in development, and if not hopefully DLC? Regardless I've definitely got my eye on this game, being a fan of Blazblue and RWBY this is looking to potentially be dream game material.

@The DanMan I really hope it's good as well.  And it would make sense for BlazBlue to have the most representation, considering BlazBlue is in the title.  Again, really hoping for Nine because I'm biased and she's my favorite.  I'll be super hyped for RWBY reps if that's a thing.  Although, if Ruby is the only RWBY rep, that's fine at least RWBY is getting more exposure elsewhere.

@TheGoodHoms I also do feel that the lack of Guilty Gear characters is a huge lost opportunity as well.  A lot of people would love to see that crossover of Sol Badguy vs. Ragna in an actual game.  While I really don't enjoy the DLC practices that most fighting games have had for years now, I wouldn't be surprised if Guilty Gear characters became DLC.

I am looking forward to the potential Yu vs. Hyde match-up, considering how similar they are gameplay-wise.

I'm pretty neutral on BlazBlue these days and I've never watched RWBY, but I am excited for the Under Night In-Birth and P4 Arena casts. If we get playable Kokonoe and Tsubaki (since my third favorite from BB, Jin, is already confirmed) I'll be satisfied on the BB front. From UN I hope to see Yuzuriha and Seth, since Hyde and Vatista are pretty much guaranteed, and Orie I feel has a good chance as well. As for P4 Arena, even though I personally favor Ken + Koromaru and Mitsuru, aside from them adding Sho and Minazuki I wouldn't complain no matter who they choose.

4 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

However will put it out there that the lack of Guilty Gear characters feels like a huge opportunity lost I my opinion, but I think there is still time to add a few if the game is still very early in development, and if not hopefully DLC? 

I think it was a good idea to not include Guilty Gear honestly, because if it had been the current roster plus GG I feel like GG would have ended up overshadowing Under Night In-Birth and P4 Arena. That being said, I'm all for BlazBlue X Guilty Gear, just as its own game.

I'm unfamiliar with Under Night In-Birth but many people have recommended I watch RWBY, maybe I should. I'm curious about this game.

What the hell did I just watch? (Has played a bit of BB and UNIB in the distant past)

So this will seemingly be re-using lots of existing assets right? At least that's the impression I'm getting from the video, with newly developed content mainly being the RWBY cast. 

6 hours ago, AzureSen said:

personally favor Ken + Koromaru and Mitsuru

If they're trying to avoid similar characters and include all of Team RWBY, then I think Mitsuru's a no-show (Weiss is almost scarily similar in concept: uses a rapier and ice manipulation, on top of summoning, time dilation, and high aerial mobility due to glyphs).

On a similar vein, if either Seth from Uniel, Hibiki from BB, or Yosuke appear I think that deconfirms the other two (all three are fast characters wielding dual daggers, and Hibiki shares his shadow clone gimmick with Blake to boot).

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'm unfamiliar with Under Night In-Birth but many people have recommended I watch RWBY, maybe I should. I'm curious about this game.

Coming from a fan, it's better binged than actively followed (I highlight the reasons in the above comment).
Its appearance in the game likely comes from the BB director being a fan himself, along with a growing Japanese fandom (heck, this wasn't entirely unexpected as RT had been teasing something for Evo).

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

If they're trying to avoid similar characters and include all of Team RWBY, then I think Mitsuru's a no-show (Weiss is almost scarily similar in concept: uses a rapier and ice manipulation, on top of summoning, time dilation, and high aerial mobility due to glyphs).

On a similar vein, if either Seth from Uniel, Hibiki from BB, or Yosuke appear I think that deconfirms the other two (all three are fast characters wielding dual daggers, and Hibiki shares his shadow clone gimmick with Blake to boot).

I doubt they're going to exclude everyone with similar play styles/movesets because of how that would limit the roster (plus it'd be really silly considering, you know, Hyde and Yu's situation), but until we get confirmation of the roster size we can't really say either way. I wouldn't mind some overlap, but honestly there's only two characters out of a potential roster of 70+ (because I've never seen RBWY, that's just the number of characters from BB, P4 Arena and UNIB combined) that I'd be legitimately disappointed in seeing get in, so I am probably not the best person to talk to for realistic roster expectations. 

Maybe the adding of Persona characters will increase my motivation to get into BlazBlue.

I've played one part of this series for a bit, and I have to the genre isn't really my cup of tea simply because I'm bad in pressing button games. That's what fighting games are.

On 7/17/2017 at 1:13 PM, AzureSen said:

I doubt they're going to exclude everyone with similar play styles/movesets because of how that would limit the roster (plus it'd be really silly considering, you know, Hyde and Yu's situation), but until we get confirmation of the roster size we can't really say either way. I wouldn't mind some overlap, but honestly there's only two characters out of a potential roster of 70+ (because I've never seen RBWY, that's just the number of characters from BB, P4 Arena and UNIB combined) that I'd be legitimately disappointed in seeing get in, so I am probably not the best person to talk to for realistic roster expectations. 

True. The one shot in the trailer where it's Ragna, Jin, Hyde, and Yu standing around is pretty funny in a way. "Here's Ragna and three pretty boy noob characters with katanas!" I'll admit my logic isn't rock solid with that in mind, though they could easily be the exception (since they're main characters and all).
Even then, Weiss does do a fair bit of slashing and has more than just ice to her. I could see both her and Mitsuru hanging around, with them playing up Weiss' other aspects.

I'd expect the roster to be 30-ish characters. They're not going to dump everybody they can in there, because that would be a mess from even just a balancing perspective. I'm thinking something like...

BlazBlue: Ragna, Jin, Noel, Rachel, Carl, Hakumen, Nu-13, Hazama, Kagura, Azrael, Bullet

Persona: Yu, Yosuke, Yukiko, Kanji, Teddie, Naoto, Rise (all the investigation team, due to them being pretty varied from everyone else on top of their Persona gimmick); maaaybe Joker if they want to promote Persona 5 (more of a stylish CQC fighter rather than a grappler/brawler)

Uniel: Hyde, Linne, Orie, Seth, Vatista, Hilda

RWBY: Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang, maaaybe Roman (most prominent villain early on, with a nice cane-based fighting style)

And an OC villain or two to tie the mess together.

Edited by The DanMan

13 hours ago, donkeykhang said:

What the hell did I just watch? (Has played a bit of BB and UNIB in the distant past)

So this will seemingly be re-using lots of existing assets right? At least that's the impression I'm getting from the video, with newly developed content mainly being the RWBY cast. 

From what I can tell, they are reusing assets from their other games, which isn't a surprise since that's basically how Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 were as well.  At least the art style for the characters/sprites look similar enough and not super out of place though haha.

3 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

This sounds like the fakest real announcement of a game ever, but that's fine 

Basically how I felt when I first watched the trailer.

I never played UnderNight or Persona for more than 15 minutes (not because they're bad, mind you) and I never watched RWBY (it is on my list, though), but it has BlazBlue, so why not. Looks cool.

I'd rather have BB vs GG vs UnderNight vs some other ASW universe game than Persona or RWBY, which seem like Giant Space Fleas From Nowhere (I know ASW worked on P4 Arena, that's not the point), but hey, this is a most welcome surprise (along with playable Jubei for CF).

I've played both Under Night and Blazblue, so I'm really excited for this. Ruby and Mai Nastume would be my dream team, so please add Mai, Arcsys! She's got her own manga side series and everything so she totally deserves it.

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

I never played UnderNight or Persona for more than 15 minutes (not because they're bad, mind you) and I never watched RWBY (it is on my list, though), but it has BlazBlue, so why not. Looks cool.

I'd rather have BB vs GG vs UnderNight vs some other ASW universe game than Persona or RWBY, which seem like Giant Space Fleas From Nowhere (I know ASW worked on P4 Arena, that's not the point), but hey, this is a most welcome surprise (along with playable Jubei for CF).

As you said, ASW did Persona 4 Arena and has got a semi-close relationship with Atlus out of it. Torimichi Mori is a RWBY fan himself (explicitly saying he'd like to work on a game involving its cast) and Monty Oum was a Guilty Gear/BlazBlue fan in life. At first it all sounds crazy, but looking at it the choices do make sense.

7 hours ago, The DanMan said:

As you said, ASW did Persona 4 Arena and has got a semi-close relationship with Atlus out of it. Torimichi Mori is a RWBY fan himself (explicitly saying he'd like to work on a game involving its cast) and Monty Oum was a Guilty Gear/BlazBlue fan in life. At first it all sounds crazy, but looking at it the choices do make sense.

It would be cool if they initially considered adding the RWBY cast in Monty Oum's honor considering well, y'know.

6 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

Honestly I'd love cross-language.

Like I mean Ruby voice actor in English is the original same with the JP VAs for all the other characters.

Cross-language would be nice.  There is a Japanese dub for RWBY after all, so it wouldn't be too out there.

4 hours ago, MediocreLee said:

It would be cool if they initially considered adding the RWBY cast in Monty Oum's honor considering well, y'know.

CF was released on console last fall; development likely began soon after (placing it a couple years after his passing).

11 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

Honestly I'd love cross-language.

Like I mean Ruby voice actor in English is the original same with the JP VAs for all the other characters.

I'm still hoping that it's just due to them going with the VAs most associated with the characters and the game gets dubbed/dual audio. It's not going to be a total dealbreaker, but CF still stings.
I'm kinda afraid to look at Patrick Seitz' twitter to see if he's shot that down already...

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, shadowofchaos said:

I mean don't they have customization for individual character voices in Street Fighter 4 long ago or something?

I know MVC3 does that (for the Capcom characters; the Marvel characters are English only in all regions); I'm more just afraid that this game won't get fully dubbed at this point.

Edited by The DanMan

On 7/17/2017 at 1:46 PM, The DanMan said:

I'd expect the roster to be 30-ish characters. They're not going to dump everybody they can in there, because that would be a mess from even just a balancing perspective.

I think around 30 is a pretty reasonable expectation. Arc System Works is already going to have to make a combat system that somehow melds the three games' different combat systems into one, adding in more characters than that would just ensure that we don't see the game until 2025.

On 7/17/2017 at 1:46 PM, The DanMan said:

Uniel: Hyde, Linne, Waldstein, Orie, Seth, Chaos (know far and away the least about the series-- any idea who's popular?)

I'd say Hyde, Linne, Vatista, Hilda and Seth are the only shoe-ins among the cast. Hyde and Linne are the protagonists, Vatista is absurdly popular and rightfully so because she's cute as heck, they've been pushing Seth as the blue rival to Hyde's red as of Exe: Late[st], and Hilda's the primary antagonist (and the only one with an actual motivation other than being evil just cause or being driven to consume). Otherwise I think there aren't many absurdly popular candidates, so the chances for everyone else are pretty even.