Chester Bennington of Linkin Park commits suicide

Lord Raven

2017 has been pretty sad for those bands that I grew up with. First was Chris Cornell and today, Chester Bennington, Linkin Park's lead singer, committed suicide by hanging.

RIP, I used to listen to them all the time and I still do. Great singer, great artist.

I haven't heared of him and the band for a while.
Was it really so bad with him that he did suicide?
Just sad!

Also Chris Cornell?
Wasn't it the guy who made the theme for the first Bond movie with Daniel Craig?

Also another year with several passing aways of some great music legends which is just sad.
However in this case both were rather young. I guess Cornell was a few years older than the LP singer.

4 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

I haven't heared of him and the band for a while.
Was it really so bad with him that he did suicide?
Just sad!

Yeah. His life story basically consists of being molested as a child and tons of hard drugs. It's not exactly something that's easy to shake off, even with counseling and everything. Today being his good friend's birthday too also didn't help. He was only 41 too.

The three albums they released after Meteora (Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns, and and Living Things) were sick by the way. Check them out.

4 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

Also Chris Cornell?
Wasn't it the guy who made the theme for the first Bond movie with Daniel Craig?

Yep. He was lead singer of Audioslave and Soundgarden. The latter was one of the biggest grunge bands of the 90s. Audioslave were a supergroup consisting of him and Rage Against The Machine (minus Zach de la Rocha).

Edited by Lord Raven

Oh yeah, I remember to connect Cornell to Black Hole Sun, a great song from the 90s.

Also I own the latest albums of LP.
It's just that I haven't really heared of the band after their last album The Living Things.
I knew that he had drug trouble in his entire life but I never knew that it has been so bad lately that he had to set a finish of his life.

Just got informed. While I'm not a huge fan of Linkin Park's newest music, this is absolutely tragic to hear. "In The End" was the first song I ever got into, and Linkin Park stayed with me up until around the time I finished school. That's about a ten-year gap. Chester was a fantastic singer. My condolensces to his family and friends, especially his six kids.

Oh man this is so sad, my best friend is a huge Linkin Park fan and I really like them too.  The last time I saw my friend we ended up listening to them and having a long discussion about all their music and how the band has grown.  I will really miss his music and I hope his family and friends are able to get the support they need.

I've never given a shit about an artist's death before him. It just feels so out of place, they had a new album a few days ago and him and Mike were actively promoting it. Is this what getting older feels like? Your favorite artists just dying? 

News source: http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-dead-commits-suicide/

Mike Shinoda confirming it:

Linkin Park was the first band I seriously got into after hearing Breaking the Habit on TV. I was 14 and Meteora was my first album/music purchase.

While their newer stuff over the years has been less to my taste, it's still fucking sad. As if it hasn't been mentioned enough already, depression needs to be taken more seriously.

Still got my Hybrid Theory CD, though I haven't followed them so much after when they were big around that time (even though they still are).

42 minutes ago, Mimikyu said:

I've never given a shit about an artist's death before him. It just feels so out of place, they had a new album a few days ago and him and Mike were actively promoting it.

There was also reports that Chester seemed to be appear happier recently - but this is actually something that can be common for suicidal individuals - they are happy when they have decided to do it because it will be "over soon".

Edited by Tryhard

Every time a 90s rock star dies, Kieth Richard siphons his life force and lives another 2-5 years.

...he got another one today...

R.I.P. Chester Bennington.

Edited by Shoblongoo

I am massively bummed out about this. Linkin Park was one of my favorite bands when I was younger, and they still are one of my favorite bands. I've been listening to some of their later stuff on occasion lately. You never want to hear about these things, that anyone takes their own life seemingly out of the blue to everyone else, and it doubly sucks when it's someone you've heard of and like.

I wish the best for the band and his family ...

I literally can't believe this.

This almost makes me regret I didn't catch them this May. /:

I can't say a whole lot. It was the band that really started getting me to music. I've had my years with it, and while I slowly led it slide aside, I still get back to it.

First got into Linkin Park due to the excellent animated video for Pts.Of.Athrty that used to get played on Cartoon Network. Sad news. Linkin Park gets made fun of for being so edgy but considering Chester's history, it's clear it wasn't just 'edgy' for the sake of appealing to teens. The first two albums (and the remix album) will always be favourites and their later stuff, though different (perhaps for the worse) is still good.

Heard about it on the radio the day it happened. They played his songs all day. Still bummed out by it; my friends and I listened to Linkin Park a lot as teens, so I dunno, it feels terrible knowing someone who helped us through some really hard times couldn't make it through their own. Gonna miss that voice.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm quite a bit late, but I wanted to say that Chester Bennington was a great guy and a very talented musician.  I have a special place in my heart for musicians who aren't afraid to go outside the norm and invent new genres of music, which is exactly what he did.  I'd also like to point out that everyone who has ever came into contact with him praises his tremendous sense of humor.

Finally, I'll throw in my favorite song by Linkin Park

Spoiler

Sad to see you go.

Edited by Lushen