In need of Wii U game recommendations!

Ronnie

So my Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii U collection are looking pretty dry. I'd rather focus on the Wii U since I'm trying to budget and go one system at a time. Basically I'm just looking for game recommendations to add to my Wii U library. (preferably physical games and exclusives)

The games I have so far are Mario Maker, Super Mario 3D World, Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, and Yoshi's Woolly World. (oh and I have Smash Bros too, forgot to list that down)
I'm planning to sell Mario Kart 8 and Pokkén Tournament since I plan on getting a Switch down the line and there's "Deluxe" versions of both games. Also planning to get Breath of the Wild on the Switch.

Anyways, what other games could you guys recommend? I like fighting, RPGs, racing, and platformers. I despise 1st person shooters but 3rd person's tolerable.

Edited by Ronnie

Hyrule Warriors is awesome! I'd totally get that one since you already play Zelda. Paper Mario: Color Splash is also really good. And Smash Bros. too, of course. Otherwise, you've already got what I'd recommend.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Hyrule Warriors is awesome! I'd totally get that one since you already play Zelda. Paper Mario: Color Splash is also really good. And Smash Bros. too, of course. Otherwise, you've already got what I'd recommend.

Woops, I forgot to mention I already have Smash lol. And oh Hyrule Warriors is a nice choice! It slipped my mind with FE Warriors on the horizon. I'm surprised to hear positive reception for Paper Mario since the other game on 3DS was a bust.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Woops, I forgot to mention I already have Smash lol. And oh Hyrule Warriors is a nice choice! It slipped my mind with FE Warriors on the horizon. I'm surprised to hear positive reception for Paper Mario since the other game on 3DS was a bust.

Oh. XD

People overlook Color Splash because of Sticker Star, sadly. They just take one look at it and say "oh, it's just Sticker Star all over again." But it got good reviews overall and is pretty much what Sticker Star should've been. It took what Sticker Star did, but did it right and much better.

The gameplay is fun and the writing is amazing. The dialogue is so funny a lot! The game does suffer from generic Toad overload, but that's really the only big flaw, imo. The story is simple, but good, and Huey the paint can is an awesome partner.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a fantastic game if you like RPGs. Great (and addictive) gameplay, a very colorful environment and a nice story with a very charming cast of characters.

I'll second Color Splash. HUGE improvement over Sticker Star (which I thought was an OK game).

Splatoon is my favorite game on Wii U, but since you're planning on getting a Switch, definitely get Splatoon 2 when you get that, since the original is no longer getting updated (although the online is still active).

I wish my 2015 me wasn't dumb enough to trade in the Bayo 1+2 copy I had to Gamestop lol. I should really check eBay and buy it again. Maybe I'll like Bayo 1 better this time. I did enjoy the Bayo 2 demo when I pre-ordered the game.

I'm sold on Color Splash as well and I was heavily considering Xenoblade Chronicles X so that's a buy for me too. I was kinda turned off by the FE designs in Tokyo Mirage Sessions but if the gameplay is good I'll look into it as well.

Echoing TMS and Xenoblade Chronicles X. One's a great turn based game while the other is open world. Selling your copy of Bayo 1+2 was definitely an error, great action games. Another great game is Fast Racing Neo, but add that to the list of buying superior Switch ports instead. Donkey Kong Country tropical Freeze is a great game with great co-op. Pikmin 3 is good. And Nintendo Land is excellent for parties.

Definitely check out the Virtual console selection too. Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, DKCR, and other great wii games. Earthbound, the GBA metroids, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem 7, 8 and 11. There's a lot here.

13 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #fe, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 1 & 2 (2 is better imo), and The Wonderful 101

This is my list as well, though Bayonetta 1 and 2 as well as Wonderful 101 are getting Switch ports so I don't know if you would rather just get those.  As to TMS I didn't think I would like nearly as much as I do the game play is great and I ended up loving the music, so I highly recommend it.

Yet again recommending Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's an RPG, but at times the fast pace may remind you of a fighting game. (Maybe. I haven't really played many fighting games.) I found the gameplay difficult to get used to and understand, but once I got it, it was a lot of fun. There is a lot of content as well. (I've heard that it might take 300 hours to 100% the game, if you are that type of person.) The story is... different. It's certainly good, and it reminded me of an anime story, but I'll simply say here and now that it ends on a cliffhanger.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a widely forgotten but fun one. It's a puzzle game, where you have to use the gamepad to move the screen whilst looking for all the hidden secrets on the (I believe) 40+ levels.

Splatoon was fun, but I doubt many people will be playing it with the sequel just around the corner.

I'm not into them, but my sister enjoys Assassin's Creed III and IV. I can't tell you much about them, except that IV has pirates.

There's a couple of good games on the shop and Virtual Console as well. Of note is Minecraft, if you like Minecraft, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones.

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

Definitely check out the Virtual console selection too. Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, DKCR, and other great wii games. Earthbound, the GBA metroids, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem 7, 8 and 11. There's a lot here.

Golden Sun! Now that's a GBA RPG I've been meaning to try for years!

11 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

This is my list as well, though Bayonetta 1 and 2 as well as Wonderful 101 are getting Switch ports so I don't know if you would rather just get those.  As to TMS I didn't think I would like nearly as much as I do the game play is great and I ended up loving the music, so I highly recommend it.

I'll wait it out to see if that rumor for a Bayonetta Switch port is true.

7 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a widely forgotten but fun one. It's a puzzle game, where you have to use the gamepad to move the screen whilst looking for all the hidden secrets on the (I believe) 40+ levels.

There's a couple of good games on the shop and Virtual Console as well. Of note is Minecraft, if you like Minecraft, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones.

I LOVED the Toad puzzles in 3D World. If I find a copy for cheap I'll pick it up. I already have Sacred Stones and I'll be looking into getting FE7 as well. It's so difficult to find authentic GBA cartridges for less than $40 so the $8 Virtual console release is a steal lol.

I also back the recommendations for Xenoblade Chronicles X, TMS #FE, Hyrule Warriors, and rebuying Bayonetta. 

An indie game I suggest is Runbow. It's a clever platformer with really awesome music and color gimmick. I think they released a physical version recently that included the DLC. Plus you can play with or against other people online. 

Games for your Wii U
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - The 10/10 that makes the other games jealous and angry.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - One of the best 2D platformers ever, and I say this as a serious platformer aficionado. Don't miss it!
Metroid Prime Trilogy - Three excellent action-adventure games for $20. A real steal deal!
SteamWorld Heist - A unique take on the turn-based tactics genre. The developer said the Wii U version is the best because of the map on the Gamepad.
Pikmin 3 - Not as strong as Pikmin 2 IMO (it's shorter and easier), but it's a great entry point to a great series. Just make sure you use the Wii Remote and Nunchuck.
Games for your Xbox 360
Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury - Insane gameplay, ridiculous challenge, tons of content, and a stage editor that crushes Mario Maker into a fine dust. Best $10 I ever spent.

For my backlog, I'm planning to get the Zelda HD remakes, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Breath of the Wild. I might also get Pokken too. I might also recommend Hyrule Warriors on Wii U actually. The 3DS version seem to have performance issues in the form of not being able to visibly accommodate enemy hordes, preventing me from going for massive KOs. Which is a shame, because it is otherwise very fun game to play.

Edited by henrymidfields

I strongly believe that Bayonetta 2 is the best game on the system. Great gameplay, characters and soundtrack! Highly replayable and there's a decent online co-op mode...that has probably got about 50 players still in it. including me!! You can still play it with the A.I if your all about getting that 100%.

Games like Mario 3D World are good, but if you've not played the Galaxy games then I'd grab them on the the VC over it, as well as the original Xenoblade (which can be played with the gamepad! --bonus!). As much as I love Hyrule Warriors there's no getting around the fact that it is a sloppy mess of a game hah, good for the grind but!

Edited by Niallghas

I also recommend TMS, Xenoblade Chronicles X, DKC Tropical Freeze and Color Splash. Metroid Prime Triology is also a great Vitual Console game to invest in.

Wii U Recommendations

Hyrule Warriors (you seem to like zelda and here you can play with many zelda characters, not a terribly deep game but very addicting and fun)

Pikmin 3 (absolutely gorgeous game perfect blend between Pikmin 1 and 2)

Bayonetta 2 (one of the best action games around some come with Bayo 1 included with Ninty outfits great exclusive too)

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (classic DK plat-former somewhat difficult but if you enjoy any of the DKC games this is another good one)

Xenoblade Chronicles X (massive game and open world great game though definitely need the time for it)

TMS #FE (if you like persona you'll like this not a huge overworld or anything but as with all Atlus RPGs easy to sink hours into)

Breath of the Wild (I've been holding off to get one on the switch but I've seriously contemplated getting it on the Wii U because of how awesome it looks and the Switch shortages)

Hope that helps I kinda collected all the big games for it and have a backlog myself lol.