Robin, Lucina, and Lissa Gameplay (Direct Feed)

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Oh you have no idea. Reminds me of how bad the English dub of Yugioh is compared to the Japanese. In all honesty, up till 5Ds, the English voice acting was just fine. Hell, at some points they were even better. And there are anime like Code Geass that I found the dub better than Japanese completely. But a lot of anime nowadays tend to butcher the voice acting. Like they're trying to force it a lot more. 

That's anime though. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked that I got to see some Lissa stuff, but I REALLY wish that it wasn't practically the Corrin show, with Robin, Lucina and Lissa only having bit parts. Sigh. Btw, was that Storm Clouds I heard among the medley near the end of the video?

46 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I also feel like English dubs get too much hate because they're always compared to the Japanese ones...

Tbf, this is something that annoys me to no end.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

18 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Oh you have no idea. Reminds me of how bad the English dub of Yugioh is compared to the Japanese. In all honesty, up till 5Ds, the English voice acting was just fine. Hell, at some points they were even better. And there are anime like Code Geass that I found the dub better than Japanese completely. But a lot of anime nowadays tend to butcher the voice acting. Like they're trying to force it a lot more. 

Which is a damn shame. 

Seriously? I thought people complained more about English Yu-Gi-Oh because lol4Kids, not so much the voice acting. Because even I have to admit, some of 4Kids' censoring was dumb. But the English voices were great! Kaiba was the BEST. Joey's Brooklyn accent is hilarious. Yugi sounds like an actual teenager instead of a 5 year old (going off season 0 here, where I absolutely despise Yugi because of his voice). And who can hate Dan Green as Atem/Yami? Dan Green was always one of the best. I admit Tristan had a stupid voice at first, but it was short-lived and he got a much better one after that (it's the same guy who would later voice Yusei for 5D's). Serenity was adorable too. Mai was also great. Duke was cool. Tea was really the only voice I didn't like much.

So yeah, I'm surprised anyone hated Yu-Gi-Oh's English voice acting.

I won't say ALL English voice acting I've heard is good though. I will admit that sometimes it is bad. But I feel it's good much more often than not.

23 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I absolutely LOVED Robin's gameplay. Yeah, still a shame that he's so slow from what I've seen, but Robin's ability to make his attacks seem far more unique than with others makes it all worth it. That's the beauty of magic, it shows actual beauty in combination of magical attack, whereas the swords just go with the usual hack and slash maneuvers. 

Yes, exactly! One part of me is glad that Robin is slow though, so I can laugh at it like I do in Smash. lol That Smash running speed. XD

23 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I almost feel like you might be a tad salty over the fact that Lissa turned Frederick into her hammer axe like she did. XD

But likely not.

Yeah, nah. I was already not fond of axe Lissa even before this, though now I'm even less fond of her. Not because of the Frederick thing, but because she just looks even more awkward than before.

Also, it kind of hurts that Lissa of all characters is the axe wielder people are more interested in than Frederick. I feel like I'm the only one who wants to give the poor guy any love, especially after people are cheering about him being swung around like a lasso.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Seriously? I thought people complained more about English Yu-Gi-Oh because lol4Kids, not so much the voice acting. Because even I have to admit, some of 4Kids' censoring was dumb. But the English voices were great! Kaiba was the BEST. Joey's Brooklyn accent is hilarious. Yugi sounds like an actual teenager instead of a 5 year old (going off season 0 here, where I absolutely despise Yugi because of his voice). And who can hate Dan Green as Atem/Yami? Dan Green was always one of the best. I admit Tristan had a stupid voice at first, but it was short-lived and he got a much better one after that (it's the same guy who would later voice Yusei for 5D's). Serenity was adorable too. Mai was also great. Duke was cool. Tea was really the only voice I didn't like much.

So yeah, I'm surprised anyone hated Yu-Gi-Oh's English voice acting.

I won't say ALL English voice acting I've heard is good though. I will admit that sometimes it is bad. But I feel it's good much more often than not.

I said up till 5Ds. Like after 5Ds, Zexal and onwards were just bad at the voice acting. But before Zexal, the voice acting was done marvelously and the witty quips they gave was just awesome. Yusei's personality in the English dub is far better because he's able to make more funny lines, whereas the original version couldn't make a single joke apart from the one time he said that he's not a dancer. 

And yes, Yugioh English dub is mostly disliked before because of how they were 4Kids'd like crazy. But now the terrible VA makes it even worse. 

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, exactly! One part of me is glad that Robin is slow though, so I can laugh at it like I do in Smash. lol That Smash running speed. XD

When you think about it, Robin being slow does make sense. He's carrying tomes and can't exactly drop them. Plus, since he's only average skilled with a sword or perhaps above average, he doesn't utilize physical stamina that often and more often tries to use a greater versatility to gain the advantage.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, nah. I was already not fond of axe Lissa even before this, though now I'm even less fond of her. Not because of the Frederick thing, but because she just looks even more awkward than before.

Also, it kind of hurts that Lissa of all characters is the axe wielder people are more interested in than Frederick. I feel like I'm the only one who wants to give the poor guy any love, especially after people are cheering about him being swung around like a lasso.

You aren't wrong. Lissa was never really meant to be a fighter. Her outfit clearly shows that it's not specifically designed for combat. But yet she does. Wonder how she manages to do that? Must be tough.

18 minutes ago, Medeus said:

I have to say, seeing Lissa swing around Frederick like a ragdoll was the highlight of my morning, that was definitely something nice to wake up to.

She and Robin look like a lot of fun, though I am a bit disappointed Lucina doesn't have too many differences between her and Chrom. I still will play as her as I like the character, but I was hoping they'd play around with her options more then they did.

I need a direct comparison, but there seems to be a fair amount of differences. Not a ton, but some.

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's just how it is nowadays, unfortunately. I remember a time when people didn't really care whether or not the game allowed you to turn on Japanese voice acting.

I honestly still don't care. If anything, I'm annoyed by people who still insist on Japanese even if they are native English speakers...especially if they don't even understand Japanese.

7 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Btw, was that Storm Clouds I heard among the medley near the end of the video?

Storm Clouds, Id -Purpose-, and Miscreant/Malefactor are heard in the remix, yeah.

There's that really bizarre Koei Tecmo "floating/running" animation, coupled with a Robin's robe which seems to have the density of rubber. (Seriously no billowing cloak and casting spells, where's the style points?! 'tch.) No idea why that bothered me but I think the models are looking just a bit too stiff and static, I feel like the characters should be looking cool while doing cool things. Ah well, it's a minor complaint. I'm still really looking forward to Koei Tecmo's funded Fire Emblem fan fiction!

also what was going on with Lissa there, I hope that's an early build blunder.

Edited by Niallghas

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I said up till 5Ds. Like after 5Ds, Zexal and onwards were just bad at the voice acting. But before Zexal, the voice acting was done marvelously and the witty quips they gave was just awesome. Yusei's personality in the English dub is far better because he's able to make more funny lines, whereas the original version couldn't make a single joke apart from the one time he said that he's not a dancer. 

And yes, Yugioh English dub is mostly disliked before because of how they were 4Kids'd like crazy. But now the terrible VA makes it even worse. 

I know. Zexal was still fine to me though. Astral is my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh character besides Yugi, Joey, and Yusei. But opinions. :P

When you think about it, Robin being slow does make sense. He's carrying tomes and can't exactly drop them. Plus, since he's only average skilled with a sword or perhaps above average, he doesn't utilize physical stamina that often and more often tries to use a greater versatility to gain the advantage.

Yeah, it does make some sense, and yet we can still give Robin a +Spd boon in Awakening. lol

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You aren't wrong. Lissa was never really meant to be a fighter. Her outfit clearly shows that it's not specifically designed for combat. But yet she does. Wonder how she manages to do that? Must be tough.

Yeah, meanwhile Frederick exercises and trains like crazy to get as strong as he is. He does chores while donned in full armor even. Yet Lissa can do what she does in just a dress and hoop skirt. It kind of isn't even fair to Frederick... xP

6 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I honestly still don't care. If anything, I'm annoyed by people who still insist on Japanese even if they are native English speakers...especially if they don't even understand Japanese.

And this, seriously. How can someone prefer Japanese without even being able to understand it?

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'd say that first part is more about the fact we know next to nothing about how Frederick plays, while we have a fair amount of Lissa footage already. It's hard to get interested in a character's moveset when we haven't really seen said moveset. Though for me personally, I'm a big Lissa fan and Frederick isn't in my top 30 Awakening characters, so I guess I'm biased the opposite way.

By my calculations, his being flung around is going to be an epic Serenes meme for a little while. Prepare yourself.

1 minute ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I'd say that first part is more about the fact we know next to nothing about how Frederick plays, while we have a fair amount of Lissa footage already. It's hard to get interested in a character's moveset when we haven't really seen said moveset. Though for me personally, I'm a big Lissa fan and Frederick isn't in my top 30 Awakening characters, so I guess I'm biased the opposite way.

By my calculations, his being flung around is going to be an epic Serenes meme for a little while. Prepare yourself.

Does Awakening even have much more than 30 named characters? But yeah, it's true that we haven't seen Frederick gameplay yet either, so that's also a factor.

Ugh, please no...

I know. Zexal was still fine to me though. Astral is my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh character besides Yugi, Joey, and Yusei. But opinions. :P

I enjoyed some of the banter, and the anime was great itself, but I preferred the Japanese version better. Plus, "kattobingu" was so much better there than "I am feeling the flow." 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, it does make some sense, and yet we can still give Robin a +Spd boon in Awakening. lol

Either +SPD or +SKL. Until you get to Lunatic+ and then you'll want to consider going for +DEF. 

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, meanwhile Frederick exercises and trains like crazy to get as strong as he is. He does chores while donned in full armor even. Yet Lissa can do what she does in just a dress and hoop skirt. It kind of isn't even fair to Frederick... xP

We're bound to see Frederick sooner or later. Honestly, this is all on the Switch, but I'm wondering how it'll look on the New 3DS since that's what I own right now. 

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And this, seriously. How can someone prefer Japanese without even being able to understand it?

Subtitles for one thing, and it's just that you sometimes feel more emotion and effort put behind the Japanese voice, while the English one is sketchy. 

Does Awakening even have much more than 30 named characters? But yeah, it's true that we haven't seen Frederick gameplay yet either, so that's also a factor.

Ugh, please no...

They do. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

I enjoyed some of the banter, and the anime was great itself, but I preferred the Japanese version better. Plus, "kattobingu" was so much better there than "I am feeling the flow."

Yeah, I'll admit "I'm feeling the flow!" was rather cheesy. lol But eventually hearing it from Astral too as well as Yuma was entertaining somehow. XD

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Either +SPD or +SKL. Until you get to Lunatic+ and then you'll want to consider going for +DEF.

Figures as much. I see Lunatic and beyond called Frederick Emblem for a reason (that guy's defense).

We're bound to see Frederick sooner or later. Honestly, this is all on the Switch, but I'm wondering how it'll look on the New 3DS since that's what I own right now. 

Hopefully sooner! He's the only one we haven't seen gameplay for so far. Koei has to be aware of the Frederick fans who are waiting too.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Subtitles for one thing, and it's just that you sometimes feel more emotion and effort put behind the Japanese voice, while the English one is sketchy. 

Yeah, but I feel like it's easier to get a feel for emotion and effort when it's a language you understand when you hear it.

Ugh, please no...

Awakening has around 50 playable characters, give or take 1-2. I'm not saying I dislike the guy, but I do tend to leave Oifeys and Jeigans in the dust often, and archetypes play into my preferences quite a bit in FE, so he just falls to the wayside for me.

Memes are unavoidable.

3 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

Awakening has around 50 playable characters, give or take 1-2. I'm not saying I dislike the guy, but I do tend to leave Oifeys and Jeigans in the dust often, and archetypes play into my preferences quite a bit in FE, so he just falls to the wayside for me.

Memes are unavoidable.

Yeah, Frederick is hurt by his Jagen/Oifey status, I notice. People tend to look at them and then ignore them because they think they might be experience hogs and not very good later or something. So then they don't get to see their supports or anything.

I guess I'm a minority who was attached to Freddy from the start in some way. :P I was like "he looks cool and handsome!" and then "how neat would it be if he married the Avatar whom he doesn't trust right away?" lol

Yeah, I guess so...

Edited by Anacybele

Lissa swinging Frederick and his horse around on the end of her axe made my day. That's hilarious whether it's a bug or a feature. (Sorry Anacybele)

And that's Storm Clouds in the boss medley? I recognized Miscreant and Id ~ Purpose but I couldn't place my finger on the other song.

Anyway, Robin looks like the most fun so far, though as noted his cloak is oddly stiff when moving. Hopefully that's just 'cause it's an early build.

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

Lissa swinging Frederick and his horse around on the end of her axe made my day. That's hilarious whether it's a bug or a feature. (Sorry Anacybele)

Don't worry, even I admit it was kinda funny. :P

Yeah, Frederick is hurt by his Jagen/Oifey status, I notice. People tend to look at them and then ignore them because they think they might be experience hogs or something. So then they don't get to see their supports or anything.

I guess I'm a minority who was attached to Freddy from the start in some way. :P I was like "he looks cool and handsome!" and then "how neat would it be if he married the Avatar whom he doesn't trust right away?" lol

Yeah, I guess so...

I always liked Frederick. He was fun to use and he really didn't become that much of an experience sponge and I always found use for him in Awakening. The very first time, I paired him with Cherche. 

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Lissa's Axe is also in that minority.

Anyway, all memeing aside, I do look forward to seeing Frederick in action as a playable unit, not just an enemy. I'm still hoping he's fire-elemental, though, to reference his pyromania.

Edited by Anomalocaris

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Lissa's Axe is also in that minority.

Anyway, all memeing aside, I do look forward to seeing Frederick in action as a playable unit, not just an enemy. I'm still hoping he's fire-elemental, though, to reference his pyromania.

From the looks of it, at one point, he makes a ground mark similiar to Lucina and Chrom when they channel lightning through their weapons and slash through/stab into the ground, so I think his element is Thunder like the rest of the main Ylisseans.

Edited by Folt

42 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Why +SKL??? Because to be frank, I feel that skill generally has been irrelevant as a stat since FE6.

32 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

And that's Storm Clouds in the boss medley? I recognized Miscreant and Id ~ Purpose but I couldn't place my finger on the other song.

The unrecognizable one to me was Malefactor - the others I could recognize easily enough.

Also, is it just me, or is taking forts different from HW (which required defeating enemies until the Keep Boss appeared, then defeating him to claim the fort)?

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

So uh, what's with the obnoxious sound on the timer and the constant pauses for updated missions? Think there'll be options to remove those things?

I assume so. And I assume the obnoxious sound was Lissa being very low on health.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Why +SKL??? Because to be frank, I feel that skill generally has been irrelevant as a stat since FE6.

More Skill means more chances to use skills like Ignis, Vengeance, Luna, etc.

Lissa's axe grappling seems like it might be intended.  There's a unique noise when Frederick breaks out of the first grapple, sort of like a guard break.

Also, Lissa seems to have a imbue meter like Fi from HW.  It's charged by her C1 most likely (which seems to be her shaking her axe over her head), but I'm not sure what it does.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

So uh, what's with the obnoxious sound on the timer and the constant pauses for updated missions? Think there'll be options to remove those things?

The constant pauses should be able to be turned off in the full game, as per E3 interviews.  The only obnoxious sound I heard was when Lissa was low on health, which probably means its a low health warning similar to how Zelda warns you about low hearts.