FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

HI Serenes!

I thought that it would interesting to make a topic like this. It's not to be like an underrated/overrated character thread. I really wanna get more deep with the characters that I barely/don't understand why they are loved/hated. If a topic like this is too controversial, I'll gladly lock it.

Okay for me:

I like, but people hate:

Corrin- I've seen a loooooot of posts, essays, and statements about bad Corrin is as a character, and even till this day, after more than a year, I still can't see it, well some it to be exact. I don't see a crybaby or the true villain, even in the story. I honestly think that Corrin's responses are natural for somebody who's been isolated with no idea how things work morally. He has people constantly praising him, so it's hard for him to see that something is wrong, and he possibly can't handle negative feedback as well. Also, support Corrin is decent. He's generally supportive of whoever he talks too and tries to help out. After looking up what a Gary Stu/Mary Sue is, I can see how Corrin fits the bill, but I honestly don't think he that bad, not the best or amazing, but not awful and insulting.

Miriel- I see lot of people say that Miriel is boring and uninspired, but I honestly find her to be quite charming. She's an entertaining, curious geek who causes trouble due her curiosity.

Isadora- Why do people hate her exactly? She's honestly not that bad of a unit, and she has a nice design. I don't remember much about her character, though.

i hate, but people like:

Ninian- Honestly, I didn't even hate Ninian when I first started playing FE7. She had a cute design, and I like the shy female type. However, I started to notice something. She doesn't do anything productive until nearing the end of the game besides dancing for Eliwood with power that she borrowed from Nils, and stopping the dragons. Other than that, she does nothing but flirt with Eliwood, who looks older than her, which royally triggers me. And don't get me started on that bullshit revival. I honestly wouldn't hate her as much if was for that, but that sealed the deal for me for hating her. Ninian is honestly the worst 'Canon' pairing character in the history of FE. She feels incredibly forced in as Eliwood's love interest. It honestly would have made more sense if she was just an NPC and Nils remained as the refresh unit, but nope, gotta have that female dancer. Lilina I don't hate as much now, because although the childhood friend thing is overdone as hell, at least that meant that she had actually history with Roy, and Lilina actually does things. Caeda actually does things. Sothe does a LOT from what little I've seen of Radiant Dawn. Ninian doesn't do jack shit.

I don't mean any ill will to anyone who actually likes/hates what I like/hate. I just thought that this would be in interesting thread. I also don't know if it has been done before.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...

Like, but a lot of people hate/dislike: Fiona, Donnel, Ryoma, Hinoka

Hate/dislike, but a lot of people like: Camilla, Xander, Lucina, Chrom, Tharja, Mia, Micaiah, Soren, Lyn, Ninian, Eirika

I just happened to dislike a lot of popular characters. I don't seem to like many characters that are actually hated/disliked a lot. I'm not even sure if Donnel is disliked that much. Same with Ryoma and HInoka, I just find they're not as liked as other characters in their game. I just know Fiona is because she's a bad unit and didn't have much development. But I thought she was interesting and cute.

Edited by Anacybele

I hate Sanaki with a Radiant Passion.  I kinda dislike Nowi, and she seems pretty popular for some reason.

I wouldn't say people hate him, but I unironically like Wrys

i can already see the essay posts on why people hate ike

fernand I guess, that's about it

36 minutes ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Sothe does a LOT from what little I've seen of Radiant Dawn.

sothe does not do anything of significance

Edited by unique

I like but people hate: Pelleas (he's adorkable), Silas (also adorkable)

I hate but people like: Camilla, any flier (I dislike fliers, but personalities sometimes over rule that. Like Cynthia)

Not playable that I like: Anthony (so much potential)

2 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

I like but people hate: Pelleas (he's adorkable), Silas (also adorkable)

What? Since when do people hate Silas? Last I checked, he was a popular choice of husband for female Corrin. I love Silas, personally. :(

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

What? Since when do people hate Silas? Last I checked, he was a popular choice of husband for female Corrin. I love Silas, personally. :(

People dislike him as a unit. He still is a popular Corrin husband though.

2 minutes ago, unique said:

i can already see the essay posts on why people hate ike

fernand I guess, that's about it

Do you like him or hate him?

sothe does not do anything of significance

Oh. I don't really know a lot about RD, but he seemed like an important character from what I've seen.

Just now, Hero_Lucina said:

Ah. Well, I guess that kinda makes him more in the middle, I suppose.

But I don't see why anyone would hate him as a unit either. He was great for me. But oh well. xP

15 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

I though it was the opposite, where some were put off by his personality, but he's a pretty solid unit, and I've not seen many people complain about his performance as a unit.  In Rev, he comes a bit late, but in the other two routes, he's pretty good and has great availability.

I like Miriel, it's too bad she was so screwed over writing wise. She had a lot of potential. Same with Setsuna.

I don't have a character I hate because of their popularity.

Edited by CallieCat

Unpopular characters I like: 

I legitimately like Serra even though she's (rightfully) seen as annoying by many people. Like I get that she's a total snob and I would probably hate having to be around someone like her in real life, but she just works really well as a comic relief type character for me.

Knoll seems to be one of the most forgotten characters from FE8, but I love the perspective he brings to the story and his supports.

Likewise, Sigrun seems to be someone most people ignore in favour of Marcia, Jill, and Haar, but if I'm using a Pegasus knight in Tellius it's always her. She has my favourite design and personality of the three playable Peg knights, it's a shame she's only playable near the end of RD.

Maribelle is probably my favourite Awakening character. She has excellent voice clips, and her supports reveal surprising depth.

Not sure if Camilla counts more for being unpopular or popular, but I also legitimately like her and find her interesting. Despite the Corrin-worship.

Popular characters I don't like:

Seth, I've never used him, but he seems like a pretty generic guy. I don't hate him, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I get that he's a good unit, but if that's all there is to him, meh.

Tharja, she is just creepily obsessed for the sake of being creepily obsessed (whereas with Camilla we at least get a hint that it's a symptom of something else), abuses her child, and doesn't ever really redeem herself for it.

Gregor and Kellam are two characters who are fairly liked for their gimmicks, which I never really understood why.

Also, while I don't dislike Donnel himself, I do dislike his meme status as "OP God of FE" as it's totally ridiculous.

Xander is fairly popular, but I consider him one of the worst characters in the series because he is completely hypocritical but is never called out for it, instead he is treated as if he's some sort of wise conflicted paragon. 

Peri is not that popular but I just have to mention my hatred of her.

Finally, Mae seems to be one of the most popular characters from SoV, but I find her more annoying than cute/funny.

10 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Tharja, she is just creepily obsessed for the sake of being creepily obsessed (whereas with Camilla we at least get a hint that it's a symptom of something else), abuses her child, and doesn't ever really redeem herself for it.

Finally someone gets it.

35 minutes ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Oh. I don't really know a lot about RD, but he seemed like an important character from what I've seen.

He is basically the starting prepromote, and has story presence as Micaiah's main support throughout the story. He's one of several characters including Ike and Micaiah who you are forced to bring for the final chapter. But in terms of overall importance, it's basically him being Micaiah's right hand man. He never really does anything significant on his own.

He's another of those characters who aren't particularly popular, but I like him.

39 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I hate Sanaki with a Radiant Passion.

Heh good one!

41 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I kinda dislike Nowi

They say you are what you eat

I say you are what you dislike

I like children, but some part of me feels like there's something not right about Nowi

A character I like that everyone else likes? Oboro of course!

But seriously though, I don't really pay much attention to story and I haven't played as much FE as the other people on here so I can't comment much on this. I base my like and hate of off usefulness in game as opposed to actual characteristics.

I guess there's Sain.... flippin creep

Peri. Everyone hates her, and with a very good reason. Her writing was absolutely terrible. But because she was one of my best units in Fates I started using her in every play through. So I started liking the character. 

I started ignoring her supports and how bad of a character she is. The only thing i can't still get past is her voice. Whoever plays Peri on the fan dubs of the supports /comics/manga did far better than the actual VA imo.

Welp:

I like that everyone hates:

Sophia-I love Sophia from her design to her gameplay. I get she is not a very good unit, but I can't not use her. She always turns out better than Raigh and Niime for me,

Kent-I always preferred the red knights to the green (Except Sully) and it saddens me when I see Kent get tossed aside for Sain who is just a knock off Alec. At least Kent fulfills the roll of being a knock off Naoise but adds more substance.

Ewan-I love this kid. I get why people don't use him but he genuinely turns out to be a good unit 8/10 times when I use him.

Bastian-He is so hammy and I love him. Alongside Ilyana, he always turns out better than my other mages and is of great help at end game.

Aran-He is sooo much better than Neph if you put the time in. He's pretty much an Armour but as a Soldier which is amazing since he has the mobility to be a good tank. Also he shares my name just spelled differently :P

Stahl-One of the few green knights I like. I feel like people overlook him but he's really chill and fun to use in combat and he has access to some good class options.

Hayato-Poor Hayato gets so over looked it's a crime. He is probably the best mage in Fates (Excluding kids) since unlike everyone else, he is just well balanced. H ecan work well as Basara or Onmyoji and overall is just really cool (And what Ricken wishes he could be).

Jesse-While I agree Saber, Kamui and Deen tend to pretty much be better, Jesse is just so fun. If only he joined earlier.

I hate (Well, I don't really hate any character, I just like them the least) but everyone likes:

Dieck-I don't hate him per say, I just don't like using him. I actually prefer Oiger of Echidna as my Hero and IMO Dieck just makes Binding Blade eh for me.

Sain-I just don't like the guy. As I said previously, he is just a knock off Alec who, unlike Kent with Naoise, didn't add anymore substance and thus, bores me.

Ephraim-He is okay. I just find Eirika to be more human then him and I also find it hard to find units in SS to dislike.

Shinon-Rolf always turns out better for me. And since I tend to use the three brothers, Shinon has no place on my team since I already have three other bow users. I also don't like Shinon's personality.

Ike-He's boring. He got no development in RD which is a massive hint that I don't know, maybe he didn't need anymore since PoR developed him enough. Also, alongside Yune, he ruins Miccy. He should have been an antagonist turned Gotoh for endgame or just a secondary character (Like Elincia turned out to be).

Donnel-I just don't like him.

Oboro-I just don't see the mass appeal tbh.

Kliff-I mean, I don't hate him, I just don't see why so many people like him, especially considering he's a pretty bland character.

I didn't include characters from the Japanese only games (Excluding Binding Blade of coarse) or Shadow Dragon since I don't really have a lot of opinions on many of the units in them since I've played those games the least.

2 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

I guess there's Sain.... flippin creep

I'm not a fan of the whole Pepe le Pew archetype.  Sain, Inigo, and especially Soleil's whole skirt chaser thing really turns me off.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Like, but a lot of people hate/dislike: Fiona, Donnel, Ryoma, Hinoka

Bold: Is Ryoma really that disliked? I thought he was rather liked...

Anyways...

People like, but I hate/dislike: Sigurd (boring and uninspired protagonist IMO; probably even crosses the line into full-blown Gary Stu), Lyon (felt like a half-assed attempt at a tragic villain, in addition to being a disappointing "reward" for clearing Lagdou thrice), Jill (Repeated failures), Edward (the only thing I got from him was disappointment - and a life lesson not to trust in hyped units to live up to the hype, because it's most likely they won't)

People dislike, but I like: Faye (if she's even disliked that much; anyway, I like that she has a crush on Alm, even if she takes it a bit far (but not to the extents that Camilla and especially Tharja take their crushes on their respective games' protagonists). She's also adorable)

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

The only playable character I can think of liking who isn't very popular is Gonzalez, and even then his reception seems more mixed than anything else.  I'm not going to lie, I have a huge soft spot for traditionally "evil" classes like Brigands and Dark Mages.

Still, I can understand why a lot of people don't like him due to his atrocious accuracy.

Like, that others don't like:

• Pelleas - He's not a popular character, especially since he's more often than not in the shadow of other mages of RD, but I really like this guy.
  • Python - I don't think he's necessarily disliked or hated, but a lot of peoples' experiences with him weren't good, meanwhile my Python has been awesome.
  • Camilla - The difference I see between Camilla and Tharja is that Camilla at least has some sort of reason to be obsessed with Corrin, if only it was explored more..  But unfortunately we won't get to see her backstory.
  • Ike - Yeah, I put him here because from what I've seen from the vocal majority on SF, he's not a well-received character for quite the number of people.  But I like the guy.  I'm not gonna write a whole story for it here though.
  • Micaiah - Not the most popular lord character which is unfortunate.  I feel like she has a lot of potential that just couldn't happen (because yes, I will admit that Ike and Yune did overshadow her upon their introductions) and it was just a lost opportunity to create an amazing lord.
  • Sophia - What can I say that hasn't already been said before?

Don't like, that others like:

• Tharja - Tharja honestly is just a stalker/creep on Robin just for the sake of giving the player a character who is so devoted to them.  To me, it's really dumb that her whole character is basically based on that.  Also, poor Noire..
  • Alm - Just...so many characters in Gaiden/SoV worship the very ground he steps on. Yeah, the guy's gone through some stuff, but he just wasn't a character I resonated with the more I played.  I definitely related to Celica more than I did Alm.
  • Inigo/Laslow/Soleil - I'm not a fan of the playboy type of characters.  Always flirtatious and whatnot.  It's annoying.  I give a character like Gatrie a pass on this because he doesn't have a lot of luck when he tries.
  • Shinon - I've honestly never really used him.  I almost always use Rolf in PoR and RD.  I don't mind his initial attitude towards Ike and the Greil Mercenaries because it made sense to me.  But his general attitude to everyone is just so...bleh to me.  I don't know how to explain it.
  • Soren - I've...never had any good luck with Soren.  Soren hasn't really been a solid unit for me ever and he just fails to be as amazing as some people make him out to be.  I do enjoy his story though.

Xander - What can I say? The dark paladin with the cute, blond curls makes my kokoro go doki doki, regardless of squandered character potential.

Setsuna - Purely an aesthetic choice. Teal is my favorite color; Setsuna happens to incorporate it liberally in her design.

Ilyana - I concede she has no personality. But she's cute. This is why I always use her whenever I play PoR and RD.

Makalov - He is a terrible person that is damned with being overshadowed by the other four (or more) cavaliers you get before him. I still him, though.

Faye - She's an obsessive creep to some. To me, she's a cute girl cursed with "incredibly thirsty for anime protagonist syndrome," a disease that has been ruining anime girls for decades and continues to do so. This is a sickness that deserves pity, not hate. Please donate to your local foundation, so perhaps in the future, this ailment can be cured.

Tsubaki - He is pure perfection and let no one tell you different. Sure, his stats are straight ass canyon, but he is still the zenith of all winged pony riders.

Tharja - "Oh noes! Crazy stalker lady that abuses her child! People only like her for her boobies!" I legit only like Tharja because I associate her with Yukako Yamagishi from JJBA.

Dislike

Oboro - She's meh. Not particularly fond of her outside her support with Benny, to be honest. She should have had a support with Arthur; that would've boosted her standing with me.

Lyon - Not that great of a villain. While playing SS, the only thing I could truly feel for him was annoyance. 

Lucina - Mostly due to how milked she is.

Cordelia - I don't see her appeal. Not knocking on anyone that does like her and can see her appeal, though. "B-but you like Tsubaki! He's totally a knock off of Cordelia!" Let me tell you, though: Tsubaki is, in fact, not perfect. He is an arrogant, vain and insecure character that breaks his ass covering any flaws that manage to be discovered. This is why I like him. On the other hand, Cordelia is . . . a perfect person who is a genius at everything while also being humble? And her only flaws are being bad at running and unrequited love? I don't really know?

Edited by saisymbolic