FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

Characters I like that tend to be disliked
Miriel- Well there really doesn't end up being much to her character I like her because of how inquisitive she is.
Sumia- Yeah her Chrom supports are really bad and she is arbitrarily limited in her supports, but her other supports make me like her 
Arthur- This guy is great and he is a really solid unit, and its not like you would have used those goddess icon's on anyone else anyway
Benny- I don't think he is disliked but he is far less popular than he should be.
Shiro- One of the three Hoshido character I like, shame he is locked in the baby realm. 
Hana- I really enjoy her playstyle of being the glassest of cannons and really don't see what about her people dislike.
Beruka- A really good unit that has the curse of coming at the same time as Camilla, but I always sacrifice Camilla to takumi so that's not a problem to me 
Berkut- I just like Berkut no real reason, but from what I have seen around serenes he is not liked. 
Ilyana- I just think she's cute.
Charlotte- A fan service character that actually makes sense and has so much more to who she actually is.

Characters I dislike but are popular somehow.
Camilla- She is the perfect example of how terrible fates writing is yet people like her? I'm sick of her being shoved in my face and I hate that she is really powerful in her game.
Corrin- She just comes to mind after the past voting gauntlets can't stand her writing.
Xander- Third verse same as the previous two.
Ryoma- There really isn't anything interesting about or lobster lord, he is just your typical follower of Bushido and its boring. Also I dislike that he is so blatantly overpowered.
Niles- I find is innuendo filled dialogue extremely annoying and embarrassing 
Lucina- I don't necessarily dislike Lucina I just don't see what makes her so popular, combat wise she is a second lord, which is fine until you remember the other lord is forced field and you could use that slot to create more class diversity.
Severa- She is just a straight up bitch more than anything and its annoying to use the ungrateful shit.

Edited by Mackc2

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ore no stando da said:

I despise Nowi with a BURNING PASSION.

I HATE HER FACE. I HATE HER EXPOSED STOMACH. I HATE HER VOICE. I HATE HER DIALOGUE. I HATE HOW SHE NEVER SHUTS UP ABOUT BEING TEN THOUSAND YEARS OLD. YES I GET IT YOU'RE THE TYPICAL ANIME GIRL THAT LOOKS 5 AND IS ACTUALLY A CENTURY OLD WELL HOW GOOD FOR YOU. 

She has the personality of a deviantart Sonic OC and yet people love her because "muh waifu xd"

...wow. What an explosion.

Honestly, the reasons I'm cool with Nowi are her...well, sorry to say, voice (I don't see what's wrong with Hunter Mackenzie Austin's performance) and personality (I dunno what you mean by "personality of a Sonic OC", but I think she was an enjoyable pal to the Shepherds with some adorable moments). I'll give that her outfit is in no way appropriate for her age, though (but her hair and face are not bad), and marrying her is awkward as hell, but Nowi isn't really largely hateable to me.

23 hours ago, NoirCore said:

...wow. What an explosion.

Honestly, the reasons I'm cool with Nowi are her...well, sorry to say, voice (I don't see what's wrong with Hunter Mackenzie Austin's performance) and personality (I dunno what you mean by "personality of a Sonic OC", but I think she was an enjoyable pal to the Shepherds with some adorable moments). I'll give that her outfit is in no way appropriate for her age, though (but her hair and face are not bad), and marrying her is awkward as hell, but Nowi isn't really largely hateable to me.

My problem with her is probably that my first contact with her was through:

1. Fire Emblem Heroes.

2. Her fanbase

Both are horrible representations in general. Her FEH self has like 9 out of 10 lines talking about how she is older than she looks; while a lot of people that like Nowi like her because she's "hot" and "waifu material". There's a limit to how many times you can hear "I'M ACTUALLY 10 THOUSAND YEARS OLD! HEHE (horrible fake laugh)" before you snap, man :(

Also yeah I guess it comes off as explosive but I describe things I love with equal passion tho! :D 

Look!

Spoiler

~♥♥♥ ROY IS OUR BOY ♥♥♥~

Edited by ore no stando da

(I'll keep these brief and to the point so it won't be a whole rant series)

1) Tsubaki- he's not an annoying perfectionist to me, although yes, his stats can be... yeet.

2) Corrin- Yes, he/she can be Mary Sue/Gary stu, but I don't understand how people hate them. Throughout the whole gameplay, I didn't feel any hatred toward them... (not saying they're a good character, but they're not bad.)

3) Xander- I don't even know why people hate him, I didn't have trouble using him on my team either.

Dislike

1) Camilla- oh boy where can I start? She just creeps me out with her dialogues and that... "armor".

2) Tharja- abusive mother and a creepy stalker.

3) Donnel (not totally dislike but)- I don't dislike him as a character, but I had so much trouble just trying to level him up, I just go 'no' to villager units.

I have more explanation and other characters, but I don't have a lot of time so these are the most simplistic version I can come up with.

Ok, I'm going to be restricting my choices to characters from games that I have played repeatedly, and I will only list those that I actually like or dislike. In other words no "I don't care for this character but I also don't hate him/her either" selections although I may include characters that seem to be less popular. Here goes.

Radiant Dawn:

Ike- Titania-Boyd-Shinon-Soren-Nolan- Edward-Aran-Jill-Tauroneo-Geoffrey-Makalov-Kieran-Marcia-Brom-Nephenee-Mordecai-Harr-Muarim-Tormod-Skrimir-Caneighas-Giffca-Volug-Naihalah-Reyson-Tibarn-Kurthnaga-Renning.

There aren't many characters that I dislike in Radiant Dawn, but I guess it would boil down to mainly Astrid, Micaiah, and Sanaki as characters that dislike

Awakening:

Robin-Frederick-Henry-Cherche-Gregor-Vaike-Sully-Stahl-Basillio-Kjelle-Flavia-Cordellia-Donnel-Gaius-Gerome-Panne-Inigo-Severra-Laurent-Nah-Walhart-Brady-Maribelle-Long'Que

I dislike Chrom-Lissa-Emmeryn-Cynthia-Owain-Tharja-

Fates

Gunter-Felica-Flora-Jacob (this guy has awesome lines)-Elisse-Effie-Hans-Arthur--Leo-Silas-Sophie-Xander-Siegbert-Beruka-Benny-Ignitus-Charlotte-Scarlet-Rinkah (I lover her supports)-Keaton-Velourie (another person with awesome supports, in particular Kana's)-Saizo-Kagerro-Fuga-Kilma-Hinatta-Shiro-Niles-Ninian-Selena-Laslow-Shura

Characters I dislike: Kaden-Selkie-Hana-Takumi-Ryoma-Queen Mikoto-Yuki something or other-Percy-Odin (I disliked him in Awakening and that sentiment has not changed)-Ophelia-Orochi-Peri-Camilla.

I think it's fair to point out that even of characters I like their gimmick is either overdone or is repeated too often. A good example is if Camilla's gimmick was toned down where she was a motherly character with ALL of the party members she comes in contact with and of course a COMPLETE REDESIGN I probably would like her more, another example is Arthur's and Keaton's gimmick is I think brought up too often and overdone, and other characters like Peri was either intended to be a parallel to Reina or was intended as a repeat of Henry's character type. Either one failed to deliver, because I like both Henry and Reina and was even able to buy into their character. Peri on the other hand feels forced and is not convincing other than that Peri is in serious need of mental counseling.

FE7- Eliwood

Famously bad lord. Actually I'm convinced that heavily using Eliwood is one of the secrets General Horace uses to win HHM drafts, so he isn't really as bad as people claim he is (and you have to consider enemy speed bases in FE7 lol)  Beyond that, I find him to be a really endearing character and easily one of my top 3 lords personality/story wise.

FE13- Panne

I think I can say that she is disliked by the community, largely because of people thinking either that she's bad as a unit due to a desire to keep her in the taguel class or because they think that "bunny-girl" is too much of a sex-appeal character, although you don't see that complaint as much since Fates exists now. I mean I'd prefer a Ivalice iron work aesthetic viera, but I've seen bunny girls in other games that didn't give up their character traits due to their appearance, and Panne certainly doesn't in her supports/dialog either. Actually, I find her to be one of the more serious charathers personality wise in the game, which is refreshing considering the rest of the cast. She also has a great "gameplay personality" if you like to use the reclass function, even on L+. 

Dislike

FE4- Levin 

Levin is the charather with the most dialogue in Genealogy. A lot of it is flat out exposition. He isn't used well due to age of the game I guess. But there's more to me not liking him than the unavoidable stuff-  His actual personality traits are also pretty off-putting.  I don't want to repeat the stuff from the "Judgrall story thread" but the bottom spolier of this post covers why I dislike gen 2 Levin. gen1 Levin is hard to love as a drifter/bard, because we are also expected t acknowledge him as one of best magic users so he should really take the throne even if he doesn't want to, especially when it ends up costing the lives of his wife and mother.....

As a unit, he is completely uninteresting to use since Holsety makes him into an unkillable dodge tank that OHKOs anything you could possibly make him fight in the context of gen1 and even if you want to conserve it his stats are godly with the other tomes anyway. Obviously not responsible for the bulk of my problems with FE4's gameplay, but definitely not a healthy example from the game either...

FE8- Tana

Maybe I just haven't participated in drafts enough. Frankly I have never felt the need to use her despite her higher growth potential than Vanessa/Cormag, because I just never had a reason to put up with her early chapters (she can grind her recruitment chapter and next few easily  on NM but definitely not HM) Also I found myself siding with Innes against her too often whenever they argued.

Granted I dislike most est characters (including amelia/ewan from this same game), but I think that the general fanbase at large has gotten over hyping them the way it used too. They still hype Tana though, probbably because she is more of a midway growth unit rather than being really bad to start out with. 

FE9- Soren

I used to describe PoR Soren as the mage with the most potential, but the worst practically/easiness of use in Path of Raidance not counting tormod/bastian.  Honestly, every time I play the game I end up really annoyed with him on early chapters, which seem to purposely feature javelin units more heavily than the rest of the game, and anyway only having wind tomes available initially doesn't do him any favors. Thankfully once you get forge and the ability to train him in a real magic rank this isn't so bad.... but then again, Calil and Illanya do that stuff for free without the early bad period. Late game his speed/skill/mag make him pretty intimidating, but not as intimidating as the handaxe/javelin squad. Maybe an unnecessary evil in LTC drafts, but even there I would rather take the 1 turn slower brainless cav rush strategy over hoping to get him the proper level ups in many chapters along the way and then reseting over and over for his siege tomes to finally crit. 

I am so-so on his personality- I don't think his psedo-racism for laguz is explained very convincingly compared to other characters.  Obviously it's a  kind of halfling backlash from being rejected by both races thing- but it's hard not to agree with first time PoR players  who just see him as doing it out of irrational jerkiness. I feel like Titania comes up for strategies in more maps than he actually does (granted there's lots of maps where Ike does his own thing against advice) which creates a bizarre feeling that he is one of the least pro-active strategists in the series. His support where he opens up to Ike is pretty good though. FE10 causes his gameplay  to get another disapointing grade, but helps his personality by explaining the consequences of being a branded in more detail/doesn't feature open hostility from him the way FE9's gallia chapters did. 

FE9/10

Like:

Micaiah, although her reputation has thankfully improved over the years. 

Dislike: Eh no one in particular (besides those others also dislike).

FE13

Like:

Laurent, I have seen most people either not care or dislike him. He is pretty sympathetic to me though.

Severa: People don't like her tsundere personality, but I didn't mind it too much. I liked her backstory and the moments where she showed genuine kindness.

Dislike:

Lucina, well "dislike" may be too strong a word, but I am just pretty tired of seeing her everywhere.

F!Morgan, I know people adore her, but she often came across as mean-spirited and uncaring to me unlike her male counterpart.

FE14

Like: 

Takumi, I know he is actually pretty popular overall, but his hatedom is still sizeable and vocal enough, that I feel he should count. He is my favourite character across all the FE games I have played. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Hinata, he isn't hated per se, but of Team Takumi he is the least popular member and often gets dropped or sidelined as unimportant. I think he is very loveable and sweet, and Team Takumi wouldn't be complete without him.

Orochi, Least popular female character in the Fates poll. I think she is overall misunderstood to be malicious or people don't like that she teases at all. I feel she is more sympathetoc than thst and often genuinely apologizes for crossing certain borders. Plus her relationship with Kagerou is very sweet and gay.

Hoshidan characters in general get a lot of flack, and are considered bland and uninteresting. Except in a few cases (*cough* Setsuna *cough*) I can't agree with this at all. They are just a bit more subdued than the Nohrian ones.

Dislike:

Corrin, while there are many people on this site who dislike them too, overall they are just way too freaking popular for such a soulless shell of a protagonist. At least half the games plot issues can be directly traced back to them. 

Soleil, harassment and assault are suddenly a-okay when a female is doing it to a female apparently.

Although I do like some of them seperately, I've grown annoyed with the Nohr royals as a group simply because everyone and their mother seems head over heels for them and Intsys keeps promoting them in Heroes to a ridiculous degree.

Echoes

Like:

Delthea, Sure, she might be a bit snobbish at times, but overall she's very enjoyable. Her relationship with her brother is one of the most realistic sibling dynamics in FE too. 

Dislike:

Alm, It's less his inmediate character and more being completely static. Plus how the game portrais him in contrast to Celica.

Berkut, God's gift to villains or something. while I do appreciate Intsys attempt at a more creative villain again, his "sympathetic" point was utterly undermined by how lacking in chemistry his relationship with Rinea actually was. His sacrificie of her being portrayed as romantic was the nail in the coffin for me.

Characters I like that others tend to dislike:

Xander - I didn’t know he wasn’t well liked. Well whatever, I like him for who he is.

Kaze - Not many people talk about him that much. Plus, I prefer him over Saizo.

Sumia - She’s clumsy, sure. Has limited supports, sure. Yeah, I really don’t care about all that shit. Her supports made me appreciate her more. Plus, I have a thing for adorable, clumsy characters

Tharja - Sure she’s a creepy stalker and shit, which I can understand why others would shove her off, but that’s not why I like her. I also have a thing for cold, brash, arrogant type of characters.

Characters I dislike/hate that others like:

Camilla - This one is pretty obvious. Obsessive, overprotective mother and a fanbase who only likes her because “waifu” reasons, which makes me sick.

Takumi - Honestly, he’s overrated and full of crap.

Cordelia - I don’t understand what the appeal is to this bitch. I find her such a bland character who just sigh, sigh and sigh. Marrying her in one of my Awakening playthroughs was my number one regret.

There are probably more of them but those are the ones I can remember right now.

On 19/10/2017 at 6:29 PM, Faustino said:

Cordelia - I don’t understand what the appeal is to this bitch. I find her such a bland character who just sigh, sigh and sigh.

I never agree so much with someone 

Characters I like

• Maribelle: I related to Maribelle a ton (never had many friends and was often curt without intending to)
  • Niime: I have no clue if Niime is hated or just not brought up much but after seeing her supports with Faye I fell in love with her
  • Setsuna: I honestly just love her no clue why just do
  • Orochi: I absolutely loved her playful nature which I guess could be seen as her having malicious intent I suppose

Characters I dislike

• Takumi: No clue why but I never once liked Takumi in any of my of fates excursions 
  • Chrom: Same as Takumi I just absolutely detest Chrom I think it has something to do with me finding him super boring and in my first time playing awakening I didn't know about the marriage so my tactician ended up married to chrom for story purposes (was at A rank with Stahl at the time who is my favorite male from Awakening)
  • Camilla: This one is mostly due to how they just glossed over the concubine wars which I feel would have been an epic thing to delve more into, for not just Camilla but all of the Nohr royals but it was just mentioned briefly. :/ 

8 minutes ago, Galaco said:

Niime: I have no clue if Niime is hated or just not brought up much but after seeing her supports with Faye I fell in love with her

Orochi: I absolutely loved her playful nature which I guess could be seen as her having malicious intent I suppose

There isn't really a lot notable about Niime.  She's good strictly as a Staff-bot and not for much else.

As for Orochi, I always figured any dislike towards her was for being slow as molasses, which not only handicaps her otherwise great offense, but exacerbates her low durability.  The worst part about it all is that if you're playing Birthright, you're forced to use her if you want to make use of Capture.  Like, why Orochi of all characters?

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

There isn't really a lot notable about Niime.  She's good strictly as a Staff-bot and not for much else.

Buy her an Angelic Robe or two from the 16 Secret Shop, and she can't be OHKO'ed. With Nosferatu (you can load up on them in one chapter), she has 14 AS, and only really fast enemies like have 18 AS or more. She'll have 31 Res-hitting Atk, with 125 Hit between the tome, her 20 Skill, and 15 Luck. Most enemies have 40 Avoid tops, so she'll have 85 Displayed, 95 True. Resistance values are 10 tops for most physical units, so at least 21 HP will be healed per hit against them. 

Long story short, Niime can Nostank with a little investment. Would Raigh or Sophia outdo her? Sure! But they'll be much more an investment with all the training needed. Just a little money is needed for Niime.

On the character front, she is the mother of Canas and grandmother of Hugh, with that hermit thing going for her too.

• 2 weeks later...

Characters I Like That Tend to be Disliked:

Laurent: A stoic, intelligent character that selfishly tries to use his intellect to help others, rather than do things just "for science?" If Stahl didn't exist, he would have earned the spot for my favorite character in the Awakening. I love his manner of speech, and could read it all day. I can partially understand why people don't enjoy him, as this is a game that gives you five magic users, and he does seem very similar to his mother. However, I notice, and enjoy, the subtle differences between them. Speaking of which, I find Miriel almost ridiculously easy to pair up correctly, so he almost always ends up being the strongest magic user on my team. The fact that he's among the earliest and easiest child to get, and that he supports very quickly with Lucina, only helps his case. Overall, he tops my list of favorite characters in Fire Emblem for his personality, availability, and utility.

Panne/Yarne: I really just enjoy shapeshifers in general. The fact that this class is beginner friendly also helped during my first few playthroughts of Awakening, as they where fast enough to dodge most attacks and didn't have to worry about the weapon triangle, with overall solid stats backing them up. And they are much easier to reclass when they fall behind. Indeed, there has not been a game where a wyvern rider Panne has not snapped the game in half and maxed out all her stats, and Yarne excels in as a powerhouse in almost any class he's put in. I also like how many of Panne's supports could be read either as her distrusting humans as a whole, or as just being slow to warm up to someone. Besides, I tend to like the defrosting ice queen trope in general, and I also like how much of her humor comes from her ignorance of human customs (such as ) 

Kamui: Growth rates in Echoes are infamous for being unreliable. You are almost as likely to level up all stat as much as you are to level up one (even if, in an odd way, this actually adds replayablitiy to the game for me), So having the most balanced growth rates in the game does Kamui a lot of favors. Going to the Dragon shrine was hands down the funniest part of the game for me, which combined with the fact that he was the one to take down the necrodragon on my first playthrough only solidified my love of his character. I also like that he is among the few mercenary characters in Fire Emblem to actually act like a mercenary, and I like that among all the badass quoes  at the end of the game, his is basically "I have no idea how I got myself into this situation, but I guess I'll see it to the end."

Deen: He's nowhere near my favorite character, but I actually find the choice between him and Sonia to have more than meets the eye. Sonia tends to be among the best mages in the game and most certainly surpasses Mae and Boey, but she does take a while to get up to speed. Deen, by contrast, is useful from the start and can become a versatile dread fighter, but is yet another mercenary on a route filled with them. I like how outer circumstances determine which one is more practical for the plathrough. Also, he's a fun and surprisingly challenging boss, being at times harder than Grieth! Whereas Sonya can be cheesed with a bow knight or sniper. Even if I wish there was more to his personality, it being "Squidward if he was a badass mercenary who doesn't take anyone's sh*t" is just too funny yet awesome for me not to enjoy.

Characters I Dislike That Tend to be Liked:

Tharja: I personally don't get as much of a use out of the Dark Mage class as others have, which already doesn't help Tharjas case. Not helping is that I found her to be inaccurate, not as powerful as the other mages I had (I greatly enjoy using mages in this game, so they were already my top performers by the time she arrived), slow, and having a merely average base defence stat. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that she's the mother to Noire, I would have benched her from the start. Not helping is that fanservice only lowers my opinion of a character, and her abusive, yandere habits destroy any liking I could of had for the character. Honestly, I feel guilty for having someone marry her.

Sereva: If I feel bad for having someone marry Tharja, then I feel worse for anyone having Sereva as a kid. Her recruitment chapter is a pain, and her tsuduru and jerkish personality aren't earning her any favors. The only thing I can really say I like about her is her versatility, and even the use I get out of that can range between playthroughs.

Fates Royals: "Hate," or heck even "dislike," is a strong word, as I haven't actually played fates ("yet") and bear no ill towards their character ("yet"). However, I thought Fates was an overambitious fluke, and wish that they would stop putting their characters in nearly everything. It's tiring, and I want to see some of the other characters get the spotlight.

Like but others hate: Lot (performs well when I played FE 6), Noish (Good father), Treck (Same as Lot), Serra (I find her funny, but can see how she can be grating) and Hicks (Was unstoppable in my playthrough and I never see him mentioned when talking about FE 5 characters)

Hate but others like: Nyx who can never hit anything for me, Gwendolyn who was inferior to Bors to me, Corrin who is such a doofus, and Boyd for being such a Wimp-Lo.

Others don't like that I like:

Corrin: I really never had a problem with them, and while I respect the opinions of those who don't like them because they considered them a bland character, I can't help but find it ridiculous that people blame Corrin for the Fates' poor story instead of oh, I don't know, the writers?! And it's not like Corrin was the only one to be negatively impacted character-wise outside of support conversations. Almost every main character, Azura and Xander being two of the worst offenders, suffered to some degree under the narrative. Overall, while I would have liked Corrin to have been more developed, I still don't mind them as much as other people do. 

Jakob: I'm not entirely sure whether this one counts, because I hear how popular he is and then I see a lot of people dumping on him. Honestly, I really can't see what the problem is with him. Yes, he's a dick, but he's an entertaining dick (Think Romano from Hetalia), and he actually is capable of showing respect to other people, in his own way, of course, which I thought made him more three-dimensional.

Clive: Seriously, people hate this guy? He's probably one of the most consistently likeable characters I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game, not to mention how much of an excellent front liner he's been in my play-through so far. 

Others like that I don't like:

Ephraim: I don't get why people like him so much. I really don't. He's not developed, whether he has flaws is more debatable than it should be, and his route is nothing but a glorified power trip. And what's worst of all is that you can completely avoid his route and not miss anything. All this, for me, culminates in a character who's put on a pedestal for no valid reason and is pointless for understanding the game's plot. 

Ryoma: He's a good unit... That's the only positive thing I'll say about him. Ryoma, to me, epitomizes everything I hate about how Hoshido is framed: he comes off as perfect, but once you stick around, you see how self-righteous and narrow-minded he really is. Needless to say, it has driven me up the wall far too many times. I think the one thing that pushed him into hate territory for me was his actions in Chapter 12 of Conquest.

Python: I don't mind his personality, but God he sucks as an archer. Almost every time I've used him he ends up dying, and it's a shame because I actually wanted to like him.

Edited by Corbin
Fixing some old grammar errors.

• 2 weeks later...
On October 17, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Nanima said:

Orochi, Least popular female character in the Fates poll. I think she is overall misunderstood to be malicious or people don't like that she teases at all. I feel she is more sympathetoc than thst and often genuinely apologizes for crossing certain borders. Plus her relationship with Kagerou is very sweet and gay.

I'm not sure if gameplay performance had anything to do with the polls, but I'd imagine Orochi being really blooming slow hurt her popularity. It isn't bad enough that this hamstrings her otherwise amazing offense, but it makes her already bad durability even worse. But nonetheless, I'll say Orochi winding up dead last is confounding.

On November 9, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Hawkwing said:

Tharja: I personally don't get as much of a use out of the Dark Mage class as others have, which already doesn't help Tharjas case. Not helping is that I found her to be inaccurate, not as powerful as the other mages I had (I greatly enjoy using mages in this game, so they were already my top performers by the time she arrived), slow, and having a merely average base defence stat. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that she's the mother to Noire, I would have benched her from the start. Not helping is that fanservice only lowers my opinion of a character, and her abusive, yandere habits destroy any liking I could of had for the character. Honestly, I feel guilty for having someone marry her.

Personally, I never found her to be all that great myself - her low skill and luck mean even with aid from her skills (it should be noted that one of those requires her to be adjacent to whatever she's engaging, which gives birth to another problem), she has issues hitting things, at least without using wind magic, and if she wants to take advantage of Hex, she has to eat a counter, which, thanks to her awful luck, can become fatal thanks to critical hits - Nosferatu being broken doesn't mean anything if you get blicked off the map by a critical hit (or miss), after all.

On November 9, 2017 at 4:41 PM, qwernst said:

Like but others hate: Lot (performs well when I played FE 6), Noish (Good father), Treck (Same as Lot), Serra (I find her funny, but can see how she can be grating) and Hicks (Was unstoppable in my playthrough and I never see him mentioned when talking about FE 5 characters)

Bold: I would consider that more on the "forgotten" end of the spectrum than actually hated...

On October 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Truffa said:

Soren: I know that Soren is well liked, but I've seen a lot of people hating him and I'm like, why? For me he is not only an awesome mage, he is my favorite character in the entire franchise, he has a well-writtem backstory and a personality to match and his design is just so pretty to look at. He is my precious cinnamon roll, I can't stand seeing people hate him, Soren is the best character in a game that I've seen in my life, because he is very human, I know that people like different things, but I find very hard to dislike him, also, he deserve all the happiness in the world, and after living a hell when as child, you can't spect him to be all happy and friendly, and he opened slowly and become less harsh in RD but still he remained a little closed and still only trusted Ike, he got a realist development. And I find ridicuolous that some people bash on him because he is canon-implied to be Ike love interest, they don't get any simpathy from me.

I'd agree if he wasn't the epitome of a walking cliche for most of PoR, which he is. And as far as I'm concerned, it ruins him. Thankfully, Radiant Dawn made him better.

On October 15, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Mackc2 said:

Arthur- This guy is great and he is a really solid unit, and its not like you would have used those goddess icon's on anyone else anyway

Bold: Um, helloooooo!?! You're talking about a route with at least 4 other luck-starved units here... and everybody and their grandma is always so quick to recommend using Unlucky as the bane for Corrin, which bumps that up to five...

Anyways, people like/I dislike: Eirika (along with Lyon, most all of Sacred Stones's plot issues can be traced back to her; it doesn't help that her route is about as relevant as a filler arc in anime, except that it somehow manages to be even less interesting, and don't even get me started on chapter 18), Ephraim (not as bad as Eirika in the character aspect, but still pretty bad), Tharja (See second quote), Bartre (GBA fighter. Enough said.)

People dislike/I like: Fiona (I can understand why she isn't liked, that being her stats and joining situation, but of course, that makes it all the better once I beat the odds and make her viable), Amelia (not sure if she's really that disliked, but either way, I like having her as another rider)

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

9 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Personally, I never found her to be all that great myself - her low skill and luck mean even with aid from her skills (it should be noted that one of those requires her to be adjacent to whatever she's engaging, which gives birth to another problem), she has issues hitting things, at least without using wind magic, and if she wants to take advantage of Hex, she has to eat a counter, which, thanks to her awful luck, can become fatal thanks to critical hits - Nosferatu being broken doesn't mean anything if you get blicked off the map by a critical hit (or miss), after all.

I mean, I get the thought process behind the class. They're supposed to be more defense-orientated mages that physically can take a hit, and can deliver devastating magical attacks against the (supposedly) low resistance of their enemies, with their skills putting the advantage on their side in close combat (supposedly). Unlike their counterparts, however, dark mages don't have as strong as magic, skill, or speed, so they compensate through having very powerful, if inaccurate, exclusive magic available to them. I can see why people like this class and can get a use out of them.

But as I said earlier, I already use Robin, Miriel, and even Ricken enough that they end up with stellar magic already, and wise use of pair-up can compensate for anytime they get near the front-lines, so the magic part of my team is already covered. That, and Awakening is the only one of three Fire emblem games I've played so far were I really gave a crap about skill (The 1 round RNG in SoV makes any hit possibly unreliable, and I love the game for it. FE3 has the same deal, and I've just accepted that no-one is a one-man army in that game) and speed, which doesn't help the dark mages case (granted, I have the same problem with skill and speed with Nowi, but the difference there is that I dislike how reliant Manaketes are on their stat boosts. Say what you will about Panne and the Taguel class, but at least she can reclass without worry once she starts falling behind).

I also find Nosferatu to be overrated. Sure, it can heal the unit of any damage they have taken, but so can healers, and since weapons have a limited use in this game, it means I'm not going to use Nosferatu until I absolutely need to, and since I rarely use dark mages in the first place, that situation rarely occurs!

(Just an observation, and nothing more, but I've noticed that you seem very concerned about critical hits and luck more than other players.)

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I mean, I get the thought process behind the class. They're supposed to be more defense-orientated mages that physically can take a hit, and can deliver devastating magical attacks against the (supposedly) low resistance of their enemies, with their skills putting the advantage on their side in close combat (supposedly). Unlike their counterparts, however, dark mages don't have as strong as magic, skill, or speed, so they compensate through having very powerful, if inaccurate, exclusive magic available to them. I can see why people like this class and can get a use out of them.

But as I said earlier, I already use Robin, Miriel, and even Ricken enough that they end up with stellar magic already, and wise use of pair-up can compensate for anytime they get near the front-lines, so the magic part of my team is already covered. That, and Awakening is the only one of three Fire emblem games I've played so far were I really gave a crap about skill (The 1 round RNG in SoV makes any hit possibly unreliable, and I love the game for it. FE3 has the same deal, and I've just accepted that no-one is a one-man army in that game) and speed, which doesn't help the dark mages case (granted, I have the same problem with skill and speed with Nowi, but the difference there is that I dislike how reliant Manaketes are on their stat boosts. Say what you will about Panne and the Taguel class, but at least she can reclass without worry once she starts falling behind).

I also find Nosferatu to be overrated. Sure, it can heal the unit of any damage they have taken, but so can healers, and since weapons have a limited use in this game, it means I'm not going to use Nosferatu until I absolutely need to, and since I rarely use dark mages in the first place, that situation rarely occurs!

(Just an observation, and nothing more, but I've noticed that you seem very concerned about critical hits and luck more than other players.)

Yeah, I kinda feel the same, to be frank. I never really feel Tharja does anything of note that Robin, Miriel, or Ricken couldn't do. Anyways, exactly why is Awakening the one FE game where you care about skill??

(You'd be correct - frankly, I think you, too would be be FURIOUS! OUTRAGED! SICK WITH ANGER!!! if you happened to have to restart an annoying chapter thanks to an enemy getting a critical hit, which happened to me. So I'll give you a thumbs up. A word of warning, though: if you ever play Radiant Dawn, you're going to want to mind enemy crit rates - that game throws boosted crit enemies at you like they were going out of style.)

41 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Yeah, I kinda feel the same, to be frank. I never really feel Tharja does anything of note that Robin, Miriel, or Ricken couldn't do. Anyways, exactly why is Awakening the one FE game where you care about skill??

About the only noticeable thing about Tharja unit-wise is she's the mother of Noire (who strangly turns out very well for me in every playthrough so far) and that she makes a decent (though not outstanding) knight with a fair resistant stat.

Well, I've only played three fire emblem games enough to get a hang of the mechanic (I'm starting a playthrough of Blazing Sword, but since I'm in Lyn's story at the moment, I don't yet know which stats are more important than others) and of the three, Awakening is the game where I've actually cared about accuracy. In Gaiden, you weren't even show the hit rates, and in Echoes, the 1 RNG ensures that that 90% to hit is really 90%, but you also do have a 10% chance of missing. In an odd way, I like planning around unexpected hits/misses, and it helps that the animations are visually interesting, making missing less noticable frustrating. In Mystery of the Emblem (the SNES version), the weapon triangle doesn't exist, and base stats and growth rates aren't on the outstanding side, so I take what I can get.

However, in Awakening, were growth rates are very high, and I rely very heavily on my units doing the expected amount of damage, so being able to hit the opponent is of high priority to me. I also care about speed enough so that unit don't get doubled (unless they're a knight, to which I will forgive their low speed because their defense makes up for it) at minimum, regardless if they will attack twice, as well as defense, though that's self-explanatory.

(Well, the only times I've been critted were in SoV and FE3, and the former has Mila's turnwheel to compensate, along with the fact that critical hits aren't always a one hit kill. With the latter, I just accepted the Wolts fate to being hit with a 1% chance critical... twice. It helps that FE3 actually handles the permadeath aspect of the series pretty well, since you have more than enough units to compensate for any losses. Thanks for the warning on Radiant Dawn, even if I've only seen a physical copy Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn once in my entire life :-/)

Ophelia seems rather popular. She ranks high in the polls and I'm picking up some disappointment about her not being one of the kids that got into heroes.

I don't see what's so special about her. She's a female Owain but considering Owain has worn out his welcome in Fates that isn't a good thing. The gimmick was already old with Odin and giving it to a second character just makes it worse. Ophelia is also just awful to Siegbert and she's hitting him in an area he's particularly sensitive about. Ophelia is sweeter to Forrest in heirs of fate but in their regular support she's just a big nuisance to Forrest. 
So Ophelia's personality certainly doesn't endear her to me. 

Ophelia is cute, I guess but its because her designers were obviously really trying to make her cute, rather than her being allowed to be cute naturally. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I like, but others hate-
Soleil, Tharja, Amelia (Although she seems to be 50/50), Peri, Camilla, Ike, Soren

I hate, but others like-
Arthur (although he is slowly redeeming himself IMO), Oscar (Strictly because of Heroes, got so mad at pulling him that I benched him in RD), Micaiah 

I like, but other hate:

Roy (in the game proper):  Purely from a gameplay perspective, and in his proper game. I actually prefer Lords that aren't as strong, though I do think there are missed opportunities with Roy. He would have fared better with Conquest where stats alone do not determine create the difficulty, but where he could have had rally and leadership-related skills to contribute in a non-stats-related way. So why do I prefer him? Because the point of a Fire Emblem game is teamwork and tactics, and not having a chosen hero steamroll everything like what eventually happened with Robin and Chrom (and maybe a couple of others?), and most other Nintendo games. Being able to one-man everything just defeats the spirit of the game, and is just stretching things in what is supposed to be a lower medieval fantasy setting. (Thank goodness at least Corrin or the other Nohrian royals can't one-man Conquest as easily like in the previous games, though Corrin have other issues.) And I'm glad Roy is not slapped with this kind of stupidity. My hate for Roy in Smash Bros still stands, however.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 11/9/2017 at 8:06 PM, Corbin said:

* Jakob: I'm not entirely sure whether this one counts, because I hear how popular he is and then I see a lot of people dumping on him. Honestly, I really can't see what the problem is with him. Yes, he's a dick, but he's an entertaining dick (think Romano from Hetalia), and he actually is capable of showing respect to other people, in his own way, of course, which I thought made him more three-dimensional.

Clive: Seriously, people hate this guy? He's probably one of the most consistently likable characters I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game, not to mention how much of an excellent front liner he's been in my play-through so far.

I second these. I love these two

On 11/29/2017 at 9:42 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Ophelia seems rather popular. She ranks high in the polls and I'm picking up some disappointment about her not being one of the kids that got into heroes.

I don't see what's so special about her. She's a female Owain but considering Owain has worn out his welcome in Fates that isn't a good thing. The gimmick was already old with Odin and giving it to a second character just makes it worse. Ophelia is also just awful to Siegbert and she's hitting him in an area he's particularly sensitive about. Ophelia is sweeter to Forrest in heirs of fate but in their regular support she's just a big nuisance to Forrest. 
So Ophelia's personality certainly doesn't endear her to me. 

Ophelia is cute, I guess but its because her designers were obviously really trying to make her cute, rather than her being allowed to be cute naturally. 

I found her Mamui support rather annoying too.