FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

Dislike that everyone likes:

Mae: I dislike her millenial speech. I find it interesting that many who have a hate boner for 3DS FE like Mae despite being a carbon copy of many characters from those games.

Lyn: Boring character, blatantly terrible unit with a ton of fanboys who say dodgetanking is reliable and swords are good weapons.

Lute: Her numbers are trash. Only popular because of some 2010 meme video.

Mage!Kliff: Blatantly terrible unit with a ton of fanboys who say 60% growth is a real argument.

Like that everyone dislikes:

Faye: 10/10 staffbot, funny troll character that gives me laughs for all the triggered nerds who make threads about her every 5 seconds.

Larum: She is a dancer, so automatic 10/10. I find her support conversations hilarious. 

Dew: Top 5 unit. People who say otherwise are fools that use scrubs like Ayra.

Deirdre: She is too 1996 for her own good, but her staff is very helpful, much more than a scrub like Jamke could ever do.

Sumia: She is a great unit and a very amusing buttmonkey. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Thankfully you trash talked Gonzalez, Charlotte and Arthur, so I know you're a real person and I'm not going insane. Love those guys.

Yay!  Someone else who likes Gonzalez and Charlotte!  BERSERKER BOIZ

Don't really care much for Arthur, though.  He didn't really impress me as a unit and his character just felt a bit out of place given the setting.

8 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Yay!  Someone else who likes Gonzalez and Charlotte!  BERSERKER BOIZ

Don't really care much for Arthur, though.  He didn't really impress me as a unit and his character just felt a bit out of place given the setting.

I get the indifference to Arthur. Why would a character who's all about justice and helping the weak willingly serve a country that stands for the opposite of those things? But he's a fun unit, IMO, and his gimmick's not the most obnoxious one ever.

Edited by Slumber

17 hours ago, Slumber said:

Do you ever get the feeling that one of your thoughts has become sentient and started posting on a message board? Because I just got that feeling. These are the two DB members I probably have the strongest feelings about.

Thankfully you trash talked Gonzales, Charlotte and Arthur, so I know you're a real person and I'm not going insane. Love those guys.

Well, strong feelings is my middle name - if I dislike something, I don't show mercy. Also, I was talking about Ryoma in that first sentence you quoted.

What did you expect, they all are third-rate infantry axe users, a type of unit that tends to be SSB64 Link's recovery bad. Anyway, I thought you didn't like axe users after FE8? In all seriousness, though, I just don't feel they have any redeeming factors that make up for their flaws (inaccuracy shared by all three, Gonzales being axe-locked in the worst game to be axe locked in, except for FE4, Arthur's facing crit from everything under the sun, and Charlotte's being overly fragile; the latter two happen to be in a game where Berserkers get an innate crit evade penalty - a Very Bad Thing, to be sure).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

46 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, strong feelings is my middle name - if I dislike something, I don't show mercy. Also, I was talking about Ryoma in that first sentence you quoted.

What did you expect, they all are third-rate infantry axe users, a type of unit that tends to be SSB64 Link's recovery bad. Anyway, I thought you didn't like axe users after FE8? In all seriousness, though, I just don't feel they have any redeeming factors that make up for their flaws (inaccuracy shared by all three, Gonzales being axe-locked in the worst game to be axe locked in, except for FE4, Arthur's facing crit from everything under the sun, and Charlotte's being overly fragile; the latter two happen to be in a game where Berserkers get an innate crit evade penalty - a Very Bad Thing, to be sure).

I generally don't like axers after 8(After 7, really), but I'm fine with Arthur and Charlotte. "Love those guys" was a little hyperbolic, but I definitely don't really hate them. Usually. Of the 3, Arthur is the one who tends to bother me the most, so ask me on a different day and I might not go to bat for him.

Remembered a couple more liked characters who I dislike:

Arthur, for the reasons mentioned above. He is too hammy for my tastes and he also comes across as a hypocrite though admittedly due to "ignorance is bliss" sort of thing. His design is also very jarring, I tend to think of him and Peri as the worst designs in Fates. 

Frederick: His gimmick annoyed me as it's overplayed and he comes across as irritating more than anything. I also dislike his in-game portrait (his art not so much) and his armour. 

On 25/7/2017 at 11:11 PM, L9999 said:

Dislike that everyone likes:

Lyn: Boring character, blatantly terrible unit with a ton of fanboys who say dodgetanking is reliable and swords are good weapons.

Mage!Kliff: Blatantly terrible unit with a ton of fanboys who say 60% growth is a real argument.

Like that everyone dislikes:

Faye: 10/10 staffbot, funny troll character that gives me laughs for all the triggered nerds who make threads about her every 5 seconds.

Larum: She is a dancer, so automatic 10/10. I find her support conversations hilarious. 

Dew: Top 5 unit. People who say otherwise are fools that use scrubs like Ayra.

Deirdre: She is too 1996 for her own good, but her staff is very helpful, much more than a scrub like Jamke could ever do.

Sumia: She is a great unit and a very amusing buttmonkey. 

I have a weird feeling every time I see you post everywhere... Your opinions reminds me a lot of a friend's opinions (but Sumia, Lute and Mae, but I don't know his full thoughts about them)

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 10:18 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

Hate, but others like: 

IKE.  This guy should not have been a protagonist in FE10.  All he does is draw focus to his side of the laguz/Begnion war despite him not doing anything interesting and therefore choking Micaiah out of screentime.  The entirety of Part III should have been written from Micaiah's standpoint, rather than focusing on Gary Ike as much as it did.  If there is anything I hate in fiction, is taking an old protagonist who already got his development, and a new one who obviously hasn't, then giving most of the focus to the former.  And that is exactly what FE10 Part III does, and it's especially grating since I really like Micaiah and find Ike boring to watch.

The rest are more divisive than overall hated/liked so.  I guess Tharja and Camilla fall into the don't like but they have a lot of fans category, but on Serenes (which admittedly is not an accurate representation of the whole fandom) at least they're divisive.

Would you scrap the first half of part 3? I personally would keep it because I like the dynamics going on between Skrimir and the others (Ike, Soren and Ranulf). The war campaign is interesting with the strategies employed and the looming threat of Zelgius. Though I can agree that in the second half of part two, playing as the DB is better. The problem is that if BP was always there, why did Begnion force Daein to intervene after a while had passed? Why not at the earliest opportunity?  

Just now, Icelerate said:

Would you scrap the first half of part 3? I personally would keep it because I like the dynamics going on between Skrimir and the others (Ike, Soren and Ranulf). The war campaign is interesting with the strategies employed and the looming threat of Zelgius. Though I can agree that in the second half of part two, playing as the DB is better. The problem is that if BP was always there, why did Begnion force Daein to intervene after a while had passed? Why not at the earliest opportunity?  

The first half of Part III could have been written for Skirmir's standpoint instead of Ike's, if it was to be kept, since it's really more a story of him developing than the brick wall's.  Ike wasn't even at the root of Skirmir's development.  It was all Soren and Ranulf.  Ike was there because he's Ike. 

That said, I would personally just have the Daein group join earlier and have those interactions be the antagonist side only.  

33 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I loathe Sanaki.  I didn't realize people actually liked her so much until joining Serenes.

What don't you like about her? I don't think I've ever seen your reasons in full.

10 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

What don't you like about her? I don't think I've ever seen your reasons in full.

Surely you jest.  I've written paragraphs about it.

The gist is she's a brat and toyed with Elincia just because she could and then weakened her own state and made things worse causing the world to almost end.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Surely you jest.  I've written paragraphs about it.

The gist is she's a brat and toyed with Elincia just because she could and then weakened her own state and made things worse causing the world to almost end.

I'm not sure what you mean about weakening her state and nearly causing the world to end, but the game explores her brattiness. It was a shitty thing to toy with Elincia, as Ike says, but she is given redeaming qualities in that she helps Ike and Elincia when she could just have them thrown out or worse, which the game also comments on. She's also the driving force behind the true end to Laguz slavery and making amends for the Serenes Massacre, despite playing no role in it.

I thought they wrote a character who was surprisingly mature for her age but not completely above it either.

And I somehow didn't comment at all.

I listed a bunch in my profile.  I know someone like Midir will never be Mr. Popularity, but my tastes are my own.  For a more recent example, I think Tharja is really interesting.

For characters I dislike, eh.  Who I like/dislike is my own, and I honestly don't care if it's popular/unpopular to like someone.  Closest IMO is the charming duo of Cordelia/Severa.

12 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I'm not sure what you mean about weakening her state and nearly causing the world to end, but the game explores her brattiness. It was a shitty thing to toy with Elincia, as Ike says, but she is given redeaming qualities in that she helps Ike and Elincia when she could just have them thrown out or worse, which the game also comments on. She's also the driving force behind the true end to Laguz slavery and making amends for the Serenes Massacre, despite playing no role in it.

I thought they wrote a character who was surprisingly mature for her age but not completely above it either.

She showed her true colors by how she treated Elincia.  She held tenuous power at best in Begnion with regards to whether she or the Senate truly ruled things.  If she held true power, everyone would have been subject to her bratty whims.  Thinking genocide is a bad thing is not enough to make me think she's a good person.  She's forced on us as an ally.  She's a weak leader and should have abdicated, because if a ruler can't be a strong leader, it is irresponsible to even try.  The Senate is also bad, but we should have eradicated the whole power structure of Begnion and installed Micaiah to her rightful place as its ruler.

58 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

She showed her true colors by how she treated Elincia. [...] Thinking genocide is a bad thing is not enough to make me think she's a good person. 

On one hand she fights to end slavery and helps liberate a neighboring country from tyranny. On the other hand, she's bratty at times. You tell me which actions weigh heavier.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

She held tenuous power at best in Begnion with regards to whether she or the Senate truly ruled things.  If she held true power, everyone would have been subject to her bratty whims. [...]She's a weak leader and should have abdicated, because if a ruler can't be a strong leader, it is irresponsible to even try.  The Senate is also bad, but we should have eradicated the whole power structure of Begnion and installed Micaiah to her rightful place as its ruler.

I take it you aren't a fan of Elincia, or really of any of the leaders in Tellius.

Elincia: Can't keep Begnions in check. Allows a rebellion to start that would have claimed the life of her best friend if she didn't get bailed out by Ike. Weak leader.

Ike: Can't keep all the Greil Mercenaries together after his father dies. Weak leader.

Micaiah: Can't control Pelleas and later serves the evil senators because of a blood pact. Weak leader.

Skrimir: Reckless, nearly gets himself and many others killed. Bad leader.

By your logic, none of them should have tried and just given up. The only bad leader who stays bad is Pelleas.

Meanwhile you task a teenager with purging the entire ruling class as if having a more forceful personality is the only requirement for such a feat.

15 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

On one hand she fights to end slavery and helps liberate a neighboring country from tyranny. On the other hand, she's bratty at times. You tell me which actions weigh heavier.

I take it you aren't a fan of Elincia, or really of any of the leaders in Tellius.

Elincia: Can't keep Begnions in check. Allows a rebellion to start that would have claimed the life of her best friend if she didn't get bailed out by Ike. Weak leader.

Ike: Can't keep all the Greil Mercenaries together after his father dies. Weak leader.

Micaiah: Can't control Pelleas and later serves the evil senators because of a blood pact. Weak leader.

Skrimir: Reckless, nearly gets himself and many others killed. Bad leader.

By your logic, none of them should have tried and just given up. The only bad leader who stays bad is Pelleas.

Meanwhile you task a teenager with purging the entire ruling class as if having a more forceful personality is the only requirement for such a feat.

You asked why I don't like Sanaki.  I explained my reasons.  In matters of taste, it is best not to argue.

I don't like Skrimir, he's a hothead and RD showed my that the Laguz were not blameless since they outright admit they are predominantly bloodthirsty.

I don't like Sanaki for more than just that.  When I was going through med school and residency, I had tons of attending doctors treat me like shit just because they could.  No one deserves that, and people who do that are trash.  Any person real or fictional who does that to anybody goes on my shit list, and they have to do a lot to get back in my good graces.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

You asked why I don't like Sanaki.  I explained my reasons.  In matters of taste, it is best not to argue.

I don't like Sanaki for more than just that.  When I was going through med school and residency, I had tons of attending doctors treat me like shit just because they could.  No one deserves that, and people who do that are trash.  Any person real or fictional who does that to anybody goes on my shit list, and they have to do a lot to get back in my good graces.

Fair enough, I'm not going to insist that you like her. If you think her flaws outweigh her positives, that's your opinion, but if you want to say that she's a weak leader (by her choices or personality), especially relative to every leader besides Caineghis, Tibarn and RD!Ike, that's objectively false.

4 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Fair enough, I'm not going to insist that you like her. If you think her flaws outweigh her positives, that's your opinion, but if you want to say that she's a weak leader (by her choices or personality), especially relative to every leader besides Caineghis, Tibarn and RD!Ike, that's objectively false.

Most of the leaders are weak, but the ones I like have traits I like, or I'm neutral towards them and they don't have traits I dislike enough to make me dislike them.

Characters I hate that other people love...

Ike: Why is he so popular? What is so good about him? Is it because he isn't royalty? I really don't see any difference, he does the same as any other lord in the series. Is it because he leads a band of mercenaries? It's still an army, just like every other lord. Is it because he's macho and is more outspoken? Probably, but...I just don't get it. I despise him, and it irritates me to no end that IS has proclaimed him the 'strongest hero' like come on? My main issue is his fans. You say you don't like him, and they jump down your throat. Keep in mind, this is not all Ike fans, but the ones I've come across...ugh.

Soren: He is literally a walking fanfiction stereotype. He's angsty, he's rude to anyone not named Ike. I wouldn't want to be near someone like that, but everyone is just like...oh Soren baby he just needs a hug. His only redeeming factor is how his interactions with Skirmir progress.

Takumi: My main problem is how he treats Azura. Like, dude. You grew up with her, why are you treating her like this?

Characters I love that people seem to hate...

Roy: Yeah, he's a poor unit, but I think this is intentional. He was studying before being called back by Eliwood, he's a bookworm, and it reflects in his Heroes dialogue. He's a cutie-patootie, have you not seen how much he admires his father? Holy jeez my heart.

Pretty much a majority of the SD cast. I'm loving them more with every chapter I play through.

Like:

- Machyua (Seems to be benched all the time in favor of Shiva. She was so much better than him)

- Peri (I get stabby if people make me mad)

Dislike:

- Sigurd and Arvis (Didn't care about either of them)

I've been waiting for this

Hinata: YOUR MY BOY BLUE!

Oujay: It's not the fact that people don't like him, it's the fact that he is greatly overshadowed by Dieck. I find Oujay to be a Excellent character, and to have my favorite supports in the game.

Dislike:

Elincia/Eirika/Celica- I think these female fire emblem characters all follow the same structure. They are: naive, they think peace can be achieved when it obviously cannot be, and they an obsession with the main/other lord. 

Lucina: I just find her extremely boring, with a reused design.

will update with more

For my dislikes I'm going completely off the CYL poll since I can never remember actual popularity among characters. I don't really care about Roy, Gaius, Lon'qu or Donnel or Fates royals on the guys' and most of the top females (exception of Lyn, Eirika, Michaiah, Lute, Neph). 

For my likes, Meg is my all time favorite character in RD and probably overall. I've always likes knights and I think she is hilarious especially as a marshall with Alondite. Knoll isn't the best SS magic user but I like dark magic so I always use him. Libra and Kellam are my favorites from Awakening. Devdan/Danved and Makalov are up there as well. 

11 hours ago, Lau said:

Is it because he's macho and is more outspoken? Probably, but...I just don't get it. I despise him, and it irritates me to no end that IS has proclaimed him the 'strongest hero' like come on? My main issue is his fans. You say you don't like him, and they jump down your throat. Keep in mind, this is not all Ike fans, but the ones I've come across...ugh.

Personally I think the only heroes that would actually deserved that title are Anri (the guy that killed Demon Dragons without the Falchion) or Altina (the gal that fight with two broadswords and was the leader of a small army against a goddess)