Games You Like, But Most Do Not

KoimanZX

Sonic 06. It's not as bad as everyone says it is. Yes the story is terrible, yes, it is sluggish. But I do unironically like the game.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of love for Tales of Zestiria so I'm not sure if that really belongs here, but I'll third that anyway. 

Also, I'm the only person I know that actually liked ToS Dawn of the New World. I liked the monster catching part and having such a wide variety to choose from ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fire Emblem Fates; while nearly everyone else won't shut the fuck up about their hate for the game (to the point where threads are derailed to just hate on it for no reason), I'm just sitting back and having a lot of fun because games are suppose to fun.

Pokemon Black & White because out of all the main series game that people claim to feel different, this game actually does it with the emphasis being placed on the newer Pokemon.

Game like Spyro A Hero's Tail and Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex are included as well.

1 hour ago, Thran Starcrod said:

Sonic 06. It's not as bad as everyone says it is. Yes the story is terrible, yes, it is sluggish. But I do unironically like the game.

You know, I feel like 06 could have been a decent game if it wasn't rushed and actually got some testing to fix the glitches.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

You know, I feel like 06 could have been a decent game if it wasn't rushed and actually got some testing to fix the glitches.

I agree, and it is something that I've heard from other forum members both here and in Bulbagarden.

On 14.8.2017 at 0:41 AM, Rapier said:

It wouldn't fix the story, though. Not that the Sonic series is known for stellar stories.

I think they dropped the bomb on the story department when they decided that a game about a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog that goes fast had to take itself super seriously and thus basically coined the mocking term 'edgy'. If it was an anime or a cartoon with actual humans, I believe some of the stories would actually work quite well.
Also, there are some serious tonal inconsistencies in some of these stories. Case in point from Sonic and the Black Knight: 'Our world is overrun by evil monsters and shadows created by King Arthur! We're doomed! (paraphrased)' Sonic's reply? 'Cool, it's like it's Halloween all year long!'
I mean... what?

Though the same applies to Mario, too. In the beginning of Galaxy, Bowser basically bombs the mushroom kingdom and he's still all like 'Wahoo!', 'Yippeee'!

My point is, games with a lighthearted premise should have fitting stories that fit that lighthearted theme. Otherwise it just comes across as weird.
Maybe that's why the 3D Sonic games are getting more flak than the 2D games?

Mind you, this is from an outsider's viewpoint, one who has never experienced a Sonic game firsthand. I only have a passing interest since I remember watching Sonic X as a kid and even back then I thought it was kind of silly when the story got serious all of a sudden.
I myself can't play these games since I get motion sick easily. Even watching Let's Plays of the faster paced games gets kind of stomach-churning at times.

Edited by DragonFlames

Well, Sonic isn't a kid series. It was never meant to be. I don't remember the source magazine I read (its been more than 3 years), but the series came off for teens - it's where they aimed for with the cool, fast hedgehog with a pop-esque soundtrack (then they went for rock on Sonic Adventure and beyond). It did have dark parts to its stories, but the tone was lighter than you'd expect.

For example, the premise is about a megalomaniac scientist who enslaves animals (which can be sentient or not due to the series working with sentient animals, ranging from Sonic himself to the flickies in Sonic Adventure) by turning them into killing machines to serve him in what was, in the beginning, the domination of their own home island for the exploration of its resources. The manual says that some of Sonic's friends were captured and turned into robots, and that he set into his journey to free his friends and home. Sonic SaTAM is a freaking dystopia with colorful characters that tone the setting down.

Then we have Sonic Adventure, where Eggman feeds the god of destructon not Bills aiming for world domination, then learns too late that Chaos means to backlash at humanity (and furries), first starting by drowning Station Square. I don't think anyone can tell me with a flat face that it did not have casualties. The flickies inside the E-XYZ bots show emotion and kept memories of their past lives, despite the brainwashing and their infighting as robots. I could go on with Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow's story and his goal, Shadow KILLING Eggman in one of the endings of his own game (which has a dark setting on its own), and so on.

---

Adding another game to the list: Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories. Yes, the game is very grindy, the gameplay is basically "invoke a stronger monster and win" with no strategy required, but I loved the setting (I wish Yu-Gi-Oh!'s fifth season were more like it, with the High Mages using the Millenium Items, a main villain like Heishin and a less benevolent Seto) and the OST (like this song).

SaGa series games and Hyperdimension Neptunia the 1st game for PS3 so many hate that one and the reviews for it most all were poor ratings. But I am playing it now and I honestly don`t see much a problem with it besides the flaw in the healing system and item use it isn`t so bad.

FF4: The After Years

I get the criticism though. The game recreates like every scene from FF4 plus adds pairings for the heck of it because that is what you do but still. I really enjoyed playing it. It is more like I understand anything bad sad about the sequel but most of the issues were of no concern to me.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. I get the hate (poor quality, the lack of choice affecting the overall canon despite it being a big point in marketing, the stories mess up canon), but the characters have pretty good backstory despite appearing in one game, even the DLC characters. Like honestly I feel we know more about Lupo's history more than Leon's. Explains why Wolfpack's pretty popular despite the hate the game gets. The concept of what if Umbrella and the government had a better hold on the Raccoon outbreak was also a cool concept. 

Or at the very least bring Wolfpack or Echo Six back in a better, canon game.

Edited by LieutenantCoen

Alpha Protocol

The gameplay is really not that bad as long as you play according to the game's rules and use pistols or melee. Combine that with the very well done dialogue system and subtle way the game does its choice and consequence and you have one of my favorite RPG's.