Games You Like, But Most Do Not

KoimanZX

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I wouldn't say they're similar in those regards.

Plenty of people think Awakening is a fine FE game, and most people don't really think FFXIII stands on its own. Most people I knew said if it wasn't Final Fantasy, they wouldn't have started OR finished FFXIII.

Also, FFXIII is arguably more traditional in terms of gameplay than the game it followed(And the game that THAT followed), while FE13 followed a remake of the third game in the franchise.

Really the only parallel is that yeah, they're the 13th games in the franchise.

The most complaints I hear of FF13 is its linearity which I understand to be a result of Final Fantasy having open worlds to travel with minigames and sidequests which 13 lacked until its end. Similarly Awakening gets panned for its map design and lack of variety in mission objectives. Obviously the parallels won't be 1:1 since one series is a RPG while the other is a tactical RPG but what I'm getting at is that I've seen people say FF13 and FE13 were good games just not good FF or FE games. The reasons I just stated might be why they feel that way.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

The most complaints I hear of FF13 is its linearity which I understand to be a result of Final Fantasy having open worlds to travel with minigames and sidequests which 13 lacked until its end. Similarly Awakening gets panned for its map design and lack of variety in mission objectives. Obviously the parallels won't be 1:1 since one series is a RPG while the other is a tactical RPG but what I'm getting at is that I've seen people say FF13 and FE13 were good games just not good FF or FE games. The reasons I just stated might be why they feel that way.

I actually have heard this comparison before, along with comparing other FFs with FEs (Like FF II and Gaiden and FF X and RD (Though, TBH, I think they're pretty eh comparisons))

But TBH, I don't think I've ever heard someone call FF XIII a good game, but not a good FF game. I always here people calling it bad as both a stand alone game and a FF game. Whereas I do hear a lot of people consider FEA a good stand alone game, put not up to par with other FE games.

1 minute ago, Azz said:

I actually have heard this comparison before, along with comparing other FFs with FEs (Like FF II and Gaiden and FF X and RD (Though, TBH, I think they're pretty eh comparisons))

But TBH, I don't think I've ever heard someone call FF XIII a good game, but not a good FF game. I always here people calling it bad as both a stand alone game and a FF game. Whereas I do hear a lot of people consider FEA a good stand alone game, put not up to par with other FE games.

If you haven't come across those kinda of comments from other forums or sites then look at it from the critics side of things. Both games were positively reviewed by critics but are both polarized by the fanbase itself.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

If you haven't come across those kinda of comments from other forums or sites then look at it from the critics side of things. Both games were positively reviewed by critics but are both polarized by the fanbase itself.

I suppose that's why. I tend to avoid game critics sometimes depending on the game series. Especially FF since I feel like some reviews would be biased because it is FF, but I guess I should read critic reviews more.

For me I'd say there are a few games that I like that don't seem to be too well received.

Crash Bandicoot:  The Wrath of Cortex and Crash Twinsanity are both generally lumped into the category of "Not made by Naughty Dog so Not Good" while I think they're both fine games.  While I agree with the criticisms of Wrath of Cortex's bosses being generally easy and not that fun, I think the rest of the game is perfectly fine (except for trying to get the Gem in Smokey and the Bandicoot, that was a pain).  And Crash Twinsanity was a great game, successfully creating a more open world-style Crash game, even if a lot of its potential was squandered by being released to early and it is very obviously unfinished.

I also like the first and third games in the Legend of Spyro series.  The first game is really easy but it's fun to screw around and cheese the whole thing with Electric and Earth breath.  And the third one is a legitimately good game.  I mean, come on!  It's co-op God of War with dragons!

37 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You really can't trust critics on these kinds of things.

Look at the press leading up to FFXV, and the press following FFXIV's initial failure. You'll see most of them saying Square needed to recover from the misses of FFXIII and FFXIV. FFXIII may have reviewed well initially, but by and large, game journalists did not stick with the attitude that FFXIII was a good game for very long.

Hell, even the reviews for FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns will echo a lot of that sentiment. A lot of FFXIII-2 reviews say it's an objective step-up and major improvement over FFXIII, and yet that game only scored in the high 70s/low 80s, quite a bit below XIII. LR reviews say it's another lackluster entry in a trilogy that shouldn't have happened.

As high of a pedestal that gamers put reviewers on, they do not play games like the majority of the people reading their reviews do, and I'd argue that a lot of the opinions they put in their reviews aren't 100% honest.

Edited by Slumber

Final fantasy 4: The after years would be my pick. I can see its flaws with it trying a bit too hard to recreate the origina, the weird story and the not so great balancing, but I liked seeing the cast  many years later. The giant amount of playable characters  that you can use for the boss rush finale also gives you a lot of options. Its nowhere near the best Final Fantasy, but I had a lot of fun with it.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:27 AM, Slumber said:

Hell, I saw people who were upset that it retconned Minish Cap.

What? How the fuck did SS do anything to mess with TMC? They're two entirely different Zelda games that focus on entirely different things. SS was the story of the Master Sword's creation and the beginning of Hyrule while TMC was about the creation of the Four Sword and Vaati's origins. SS did nothing to change anything TMC had done.

Also, this is coming from someone whose two favorite Zelda games are those two.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What? How the fuck did SS do anything to mess with TMC? They're two entirely different Zelda games that focus on entirely different things. SS was the story of the Master Sword's creation and the beginning of Hyrule while TMC was about the creation of the Four Sword and Vaati's origins.

The entire point of the TMC, which was the first Zelda game in the timeline prior to SS, is basically a light hearted origin story for why Links wear that iconic green hat. SS, the first game in the timeline, establishes that Links just have always had green hats by giving the very first Link a green hat.

It's a very minor thing, but I knew a handful of diehard TMC fans who were angry about it.

Edited by Slumber

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The entire point of the TMC is basically a light hearted origin story for why Links wear that iconic green hat. SS, the first game in the timeline, establishes that Links just have always had green hats by giving the very first Link a green hat.

It's a very minor thing, but I knew a handful of diehard TMC fans who were angry about it.

...Seriously?

I always thought that the reason Link always wore a green hat is because of OoT Link and his Kokiri clothes. I thought that's what started it. This was before TMC was actually confirmed to be before OoT, and before SS was a thing at all, but yeah.

Still, that's a minor thing and very stupid to get upset about. And as I said, this is coming from a big TMC fan.

Also, that wasn't TMC's entire point. Originally, it was going to be about the Master Sword's creation, but there were other plans for that already (SS), so the Four Sword was used instead. The point of TMC then became the origins of the Four Sword and Vaati. Not so much the green hat.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...Seriously?

I always thought that the reason Link always wore a green hat is because of OoT Link and his Kokiri clothes. I thought that's what started it. This was before TMC was actually confirmed to be before OoT, and before SS was a thing at all, but yeah.

Still, that's a minor thing and very stupid to get upset about. And as I said, this is coming from a big TMC fan.

Also, that wasn't TMC's entire point. Originally, it was going to be about the Master Sword's creation, but there were other plans for that already (SS), so the Four Sword was used instead. The point of TMC then became the origins of the Four Sword and Vaati. Not so much the green hat.

The game is NAMED after the green hat that was supposed to be the origin for all green hats. Yes, Vaati was a big deal, too, but the game's namesake is literally the origin for Link's green hat.

You can try to deflect by saying SS didn't change much because TMC was also about the Four Sword and Vaati, but the game is named after Link's green hat, and that was the idea behind the conception of TMC(Nintendo wanted Capcom to do a first story for Link's hat). It also doesn't change that again, it pissed off people who really liked TMC.

The ending is Ezlo giving Link his own magic green hat, and more or less saying "Wow, that's a first. Green hats look good on you *hinthintwinkwink*."

Edited by Slumber

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The game is NAMED after the green hat that was supposed to be the origin for all green hats. Yes, Vaati was a big deal, too, but the game's namesake is literally the origin for Link's green hat.

You can try to deflect by saying SS didn't change much because TMC was also about the Four Sword and Vaati, but the game is named after Link's green hat, and that was the idea behind the conception of TMC(Nintendo wanted Capcom to do a first story for Link's hat).

No, the game is NOT named after Link's green hat. It's named after Ezlo, the character who tags along with him in this game. Ezlo is a Minish and he was turned into a cap. Hence, The Minish Cap. It wasn't meant to refer to Link's hat at all. Much of the game's focus is still on Vaati and the Four Sword anyway. Hardly anything about hats except for when Ezlo explains how Vaati got his power and then gives Link a green cap at the end of the game.

Besides, I never saw anyone complain that TMC retconned OoT by making Link's Kokiri clothes not the origin. So if TMC didn't retcon OoT, SS didn't retcon TMC.

OoT was a better explanation too, as TMC only would've explained the hat, not the entire outit. OoT does explain the entire outfit.

And show me proof that Nintendo wanted Capcom to do a story about the hat. Because as far as I can see, the story is not about the hat, but about the Four Sword and Vaati.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, the game is NOT named after Link's green hat. It's named after Ezlo, the character who tags along with him in this game. Ezlo is a Minish and he was turned into a cap. Hence, The Minish Cap. It wasn't meant to refer to Link's hat at all. Much of the game's focus is still on Vaati and the Four Sword anyway. Hardly anything about hats except for when Ezlo explains how Vaati got his power and then gives Link a green cap at the end of the game.

Besides, I never saw anyone complain that TMC retconned OoT by making Link's Kokiri clothes not the origin. So if TMC didn't retcon OoT, SS didn't retcon TMC.

Read my edit. I added more for clarity.

I don't see how Ezlo, being a Minish AND A CAP FOR LINK, somehow isn't the namesake of the game and the origin of Link's hat. Ezlo gives Link another green hat based after himself, imbued with Ezlo's magic, and that's the origin for Link's hat.

OoT was before Nintendo seriously entertained the idea that the franchise was connected beyond games that are obviously connected(1 and 2, OoT/MM, etc.), which they REALLY started to do with Wind Waker(And then gave a concrete timeline with SS). Link getting the Kokiri clothing also doesn't have somebody going "Man, green clothes look great on you. You should ALWAYS wear green clothes!". Also, OoT let/made you change tunics, so as iconic as Link's green clothes are, OoT didn't push Link's green tunic as something super integral to the game that Link couldn't be without. TMC does exactly that to establish Link's hat.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Read my edit. I added more for clarity.

I don't see how Ezlo, being a Minish AND A CAP FOR LINK, somehow isn't the namesake of the game and the origin of Link's hat. Ezlo gives Link another green hat based after himself, imbued with Ezlo's magic, and that's the origin for Link's hat.

OoT was before Nintendo seriously entertained the idea that the franchise was connected, which they REALLY started to do with Wind Waker(And then gave a concrete timeline with SS). Link getting the Kokiri clothing also doesn't have somebody going "Man, green clothes look great on you. You should ALWAYS wear green clothes!". Also, OoT let/made you change tunics, so as iconic as Link's green clothes are, OoT didn't push Link's green tunic as something super integral to the game that Link couldn't be without. TMC does exactly that to establish Link's hat.

Yeah, and I always saw that green hat in the ending as more of a fun little side thing. Just there for fun. Not anything the game was focusing on. Like I said, as far as I can see, the game's main focus was the origins of Vaati and the Four Sword.

And you said yourself that the green hat is minor. Now you're saying it's the most important thing in the game. Can you make up your mind here?

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and I always saw that green hat in the ending as more of a fun little side thing. Just there for fun. Not anything the game was focusing on. Like I said, as far as I can see, the game's main focus was the origins of Vaati and the Four Sword.

And you said yourself that the green hat is minor. Now you're saying it's the most important thing in the game. Can you make up your mind here?

When in the world did I say the hat was minor in The Minish Cap?

I said that people getting upset that the origin of Link's HAT(One piece of clothing that was never really drawn attention to outside of TMC) changed was a minor thing.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

When in the world did I say the hat was minor in The Minish Cap?

I said that people getting upset that the origin of Link's HAT(One piece of clothing that was never really drawn attention to outside of TMC) changed was a minor thing.

So people getting upset about something that you think is major is minor? That doesn't make sense to me.

So people getting upset about something that you think is major is minor? That doesn't make sense to me.

Ana. Stop and reread what I said very carefully. Somewhere along the lines, you missed something or mixed something up. What I've been saying is:

Link's hat in the grand scheme of the franchise - I think it's minor. I am not the people I said got upset about the retcon of Link's hat.

Link's hat in TMC - A major, major part of that specific game.

Edited by Slumber

I can't really think of a game I like that most people don't....

Some people didn't like Kid Icarus Uprising because the controls were too hard to get used to, but I liked that quite a bit.

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Ana. Stop and reread what I said very carefully. Somewhere along the lines, you missed something or mixed something up. What I've been saying is:

Link's hat in the grand scheme of the franchise - I think it's minor. I am not the people I said got upset about the retcon of Link's hat.

Link's hat in TMC - A major, major part of that specific game.

Slumber, I'm sorry, but I'm still not getting you. Just never mind.

I disagree that the hat is a major part of TMC, that's all.

Slumber, I'm sorry, but I'm still not getting you. Just never mind.

I disagree that the hat is a major part of TMC, that's all.

It's okay. That was just an example that some people disliked SS for a variety of reasons(I put that more on the petty side of reasons to dislike it). We still agree with the broader topic that we both think SS is better than most other people.

Edited by Slumber

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's okay. That was just an example that some people disliked SS for a variety of reasons(I put that more on the petty side of reasons to dislike it). We still agree with the broader topic that we both think SS is better than most other people.

True, we do agree on that.

Phantom Hourglass, a lot of people dislike it for being easy and a bit repetitive, but I love it to pieces and it's even my fourth favorite Zelda.  It also has Linebeck.  Linebeck is awesome, best companion.  

Tri Force Heroes, while not my favorite Zelda ever, is still a fun game and not horrible. 

Dragon Quest VI is usually overlooked in favor of VII but I actually prefer VI in general, it's also my favorite DQ, so.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Phantom Hourglass, a lot of people dislike it for being easy and a bit repetitive, but I love it to pieces and it's even my fourth favorite Zelda.  It also has Linebeck.  Linebeck is awesome, best companion.  

Tri Force Heroes, while not my favorite Zelda ever, is still a fun game and not horrible. 

Dragon Quest VI is usually overlooked in favor of VII but I actually prefer VI in general, it's also my favorite DQ, so.

I LOVE PHANTOM HOURGLASS!!

I find the game just really charming and fun. 

It was also my first Zelda game.

linebeck is also cool.