Should I get BoTW on Wii U?

Sentacotus

So I've been bidding my time to get a Nintendo Switch and I know I could be waiting quite some time due to the high demand, nand shortages, and little supply.  Now I know I probably will get one eventually even if its many months on down the line as I'm very impressed with Nintendo's future lineup for it.  Needless to say I've been dying to play BoTW so I'm a bit torn.  Wait for who knows how long to get a Switch and the Switch version of the game or just get the Wii U version of the game and be able to play it.  What I want to know other than the obvious portable advantage of the Switch would I be losing out on anything with the Wii U version?  I have heard that load times are a bit cumbersome and earlier on before the patch the game ran pretty rough on the Wii U.  Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have BotW on Wii U and it runs pretty smoothly. There's a reasonable amount of lag in villages and in the first area, but apart from that I haven't really had an issue. The loading times might be a bit slower than the Switch but I haven't got one to compare and it doesn't really bother me. Overall if you're not planning to get a Switch anytime soon, it's probably worth it. It was for me anyway.

Well the performance difference is quite minimal compared to Switch and the Wii U version.  The switch has slightly higher resolution and recent patches have made it much more stable but other than there isn't much difference gameplay wise.  Heck the Wii U version doesn't really take advantage of the gamepad all too much.

The only real disadvantage you're getting is the portability since the switch makes it more convenient.

Also you're gonna have to download the voicepack DLC if you want to play the game with different voice languages on the Wii U Version (which is free).

Other than that, there aren't much different you need to worry about gameplay wise or anything.

So if you already have a wii u but you need the budget, Wii U version.  If you're planning for long term Switch playing, get the Switch version.

I played the Wii U version without DLC (so I can't comment on that), and the only complaint I have is the fact they didn't keep any of the Gamepad functionality that the game would really benefit from (It'd cut down on the absurd amount of time spent in menus). 

So it's fine, basically, aside making the interface worse so the Switch version could be a thing.

26 minutes ago, Natalie said:

I have BotW on Wii U and it runs pretty smoothly. There's a reasonable amount of lag in villages and in the first area, but apart from that I haven't really had an issue. The loading times might be a bit slower than the Switch but I haven't got one to compare and it doesn't really bother me. Overall if you're not planning to get a Switch anytime soon, it's probably worth it. It was for me anyway.

Well thats good to know I know some people earlier on were claiming the lag was unbearable but glad to see its only minimal now. Thanks for the experience!

9 minutes ago, kingddd said:

Well the performance difference is quite minimal compared to Switch and the Wii U version.  The switch has slightly higher resolution and recent patches have made it much more stable but other than there isn't much difference gameplay wise.  Heck the Wii U version doesn't really take advantage of the gamepad all too much.

The only real disadvantage you're getting is the portability since the switch makes it more convenient.

Also you're gonna have to download the voicepack DLC if you want to play the game with different voice languages on the Wii U Version (which is free).

Other than that, there aren't much different you need to worry about gameplay wise or anything.

So if you already have a wii u but you need the budget, Wii U version.  If you're planning for long term Switch playing, get the Switch version.

Nice!  I'm thinking I might go as far as getting the Wii U version now and getting the Switch version used or something if I want to play it on the go (if I decide I like it enough as I'm sure I'll have plenty else to play on the switch).  Thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I played the Wii U version without DLC (so I can't comment on that), and the only complaint I have is the fact they didn't keep any of the Gamepad functionality that the game would really benefit from (It'd cut down on the absurd amount of time spent in menus). 

So it's fine, basically, aside making the interface worse so the Switch version could be a thing.

True it would I know in Windwaker HD that was a literal godsend on so many levels. 

50 minutes ago, Natalie said:

Well, I think the lag on the Wii U version has indeed gotten better. But I think the music now cuts off far more often then at release. On top of plenty of other annoyances like items from defeated enemies taking several seconds to spawn.

It really would be good to know how the Switch versions runs these days. Back at release they were supposedly pretty much equal, at least in TV mode.

17 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, I think the lag on the Wii U version has indeed gotten better. But I think the music now cuts off far more often then at release. On top of plenty of other annoyances like items from defeated enemies taking several seconds to spawn.

It really would be good to know how the Switch versions runs these days. Back at release they were supposedly pretty much equal, at least in TV mode.

Now thats an issue I haven't heard of about the music.  By cutting off do you mean like going out completely or just fading out more?  I know it sounds petty but I'm genuinely curious.

20 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Now thats an issue I haven't heard of about the music.  By cutting off do you mean like going out completely or just fading out more?  I know it sounds petty but I'm genuinely curious.

The music gets completely interrupted for a few seconds. Usually I see this only when entering a different area, so things usually go smoothly once that new area is properly loaded. But it gets pretty obnoxious to hear a few seconds of a new track just for it to suddenly pause.

Although I have been playing this game exclusively in Gamepad mode, so maybe that makes a difference. Or maybe it's only this bad on Master Mode for whatever reason. I haven't really played the regular game in months after all.

Edited by BrightBow

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The music gets completely interrupted for a few seconds. Usually I see this only when entering a different area, so things usually go smoothly once that new area is properly loaded. But it gets pretty obnoxious to hear a few seconds of a new track just for it to suddenly pause.

Although I have been playing this game exclusively in Gamepad mode, so maybe that makes a difference. Or maybe it's only this bad on Master Mode for whatever reason. I haven't really played the regular game in months after all.

Ah well if its only a few seconds it probably wont be too bad for me.  I can see it getting annoying at times lol.

I got BotW for the Wii U at launch. I've never once had a problem with it. It use to lag a bit around certain areas or events (don't want to spoil anything for you), but now with the update it hardly lags. For the load times, I was able to test it with a friends Switch, and honestly it took as long to load as my Wii U version. Only difference I could point out, and this being a minor nitpick, is that the resolution is a bit better for the Switch whereas there's a slight graininess for the Wii U.

All of these things never bothered me or hindered my gameplay. I still had just as much fun as my friend who played on the Switch version. Like you, I debated on waiting, but I figure I wasn't going to get the Switch for a while so I got the Wii U version. I'm glad I did b/c it's a fantastic game. Hope that helps!

7 minutes ago, oh.glory said:

I got BotW for the Wii U at launch. I've never once had a problem with it. It use to lag a bit around certain areas or events (don't want to spoil anything for you), but now with the update it hardly lags. For the load times, I was able to test it with a friends Switch, and honestly it took as long to load as my Wii U version. Only difference I could point out, and this being a minor nitpick, is that the resolution is a bit better for the Switch whereas there's a slight graininess for the Wii U.

All of these things never bothered me or hindered my gameplay. I still had just as much fun as my friend who played on the Switch version. Like you, I debated on waiting, but I figure I wasn't going to get the Switch for a while so I got the Wii U version. I'm glad I did b/c it's a fantastic game. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!  Glad to hear its worked out well for you.  I suppose I'll get a copy for my Wii U then seeing as the Switch wont be in stock for a long time.  If I really really want to have it on the go I suppose I could pick up a used copy or digitally download it on the Switch.  Seriously, though you were like in my same exact situation so thanks for the info!

I have a Wii U copy as well as the DLC and I have never had any problems with the game it runs perfectly with no lag.  I recommend it if you want to play it but can't get your hands on a Switch.  I see the 2 versions as TP all over again except this time both versions are really good.

15 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I have a Wii U copy as well as the DLC and I have never had any problems with the game it runs perfectly with no lag.  I recommend it if you want to play it but can't get your hands on a Switch.  I see the 2 versions as TP all over again except this time both versions are really good.

As far as I knew TP on both the Wii and GCN were really good.  I got the Wii version.

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

I run WiiU BoTW and I haven't had any problems with it. Personally, I like the feel of handling more precise archery with the gamepad anyway. The only gripe I could say I have is that the load times when warping from zone to opposite-world zone are a bit longer than I wish they were, but usually it's short enough to have a potty break or w/e anyway so not that big of a deal.

2 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I run WiiU BoTW and I haven't had any problems with it. Personally, I like the feel of handling more precise archery with the gamepad anyway. The only gripe I could say I have is that the load times when warping from zone to opposite-world zone are a bit longer than I wish they were, but usually it's short enough to have a potty break or w/e anyway so not that big of a deal.

Can you play the game on the gamepad?  If so then take it to the potty with you bam. 

9 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Can you play the game on the gamepad?  If so then take it to the potty with you bam. 

Yup, you have the option of playing on just the gamepad. That's how I played personally, since it's better for sniping. You just tap the gamepad screen whenever and you can switch between TV or gamepad.

44 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Thanks for the info!  Glad to hear its worked out well for you.  I suppose I'll get a copy for my Wii U then seeing as the Switch wont be in stock for a long time.  If I really really want to have it on the go I suppose I could pick up a used copy or digitally download it on the Switch.  Seriously, though you were like in my same exact situation so thanks for the info!

Also, np! I always figured the same if I get a Switch. But I've put so much time into the Wii U version that I don't mind missing out on the Switch version. Plus there are other games I rather spend the money on for the Switch, like Splatoon 2 or FE Warriors.

2 minutes ago, oh.glory said:

Yup, you have the option of playing on just the gamepad. That's how I played personally, since it's better for sniping. You just tap the gamepad screen whenever and you can switch between TV or gamepad.

Also, np! I always figured the same if I get a Switch. But I've put so much time into the Wii U version that I don't mind missing out on the Switch version. Plus there are other games I rather spend the money on for the Switch, like Splatoon 2 or FE Warriors.

Awesome epic long bathroom breaks on the way lol.  And yeah not to mention Mario Odyssey, Arms, Metroid Prime 4 the list goes on!

Don't forget Xenoblade Chronicles 2! Lol. The Switch will have a bunch of great games by the time you get one, so I wouldn't worry about getting BotW for the Wii U if I were you.

5 minutes ago, oh.glory said:

Don't forget Xenoblade Chronicles 2! Lol. The Switch will have a bunch of great games by the time you get one, so I wouldn't worry about getting BotW for the Wii U if I were you.

Damn I did forget about that lol.  @kingddd is cursing me at this moment...

31 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Diggity Do that already, sonnnn

Honestly, I love BoTW as much as everyone else, but the performance was quite bad on the Wii U. It was probably the game with the worst performance I remember playing since the N64. I didn't find it game breaking or anything, but it was BAD, and I legitimately believe people who disagree simply don't care about those issues (which is fine btw). Like, idk if you've played Blighttown on the PS3/360 version of Dark Souls, but fps drops like those weren't particularly rare.

Either way, I'd still say it's worth it, unless you are getting a switch soon. I got it on day one and it was 100% worth it for me, because otherwise I'd be dying to play it and the game is simply awesome.

Edited by Nobody

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Honestly, I love BoTW as much as everyone else, but the performance was quite bad on the Wii U. It was probably the game with the worst performance I remember playing since the N64. I didn't find it game breaking or anything, but it was BAD, and I legitimately believe people who disagree simply don't care about those issues (which is fine btw). Like, idk if you're played Blighttown on the PS3/360 version of Dark Souls, but fps drops like those weren't particularly rare.

Either way, I'd still say it's worthy, unless you are getting a switch soon. I got it on day one and it was 100% worthy it for me, because otherwise I'd be dying to play it.

Can't say I'm familiar with Blight Town so I can't say I know to the degree of how severe those frame drops were.