Jump to content
Sentacotus

Should I get BoTW on Wii U?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I see the game apparently got some patches that improved its performace, so maybe it really got better. I haven't played it since April.

It did get a bit better from the patches, especially in that one village (avoiding spoilers for OP)... it desperately needed to be fixed. It's not perfect, but it might play a bit better for you now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Damn I did forget about that lol.  @kingddd is cursing me at this moment...

Eh I don't mind it considering I am getting Xenoblade 2.  I just think X is way better than what people give the original xenoblade credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kingddd said:

Eh I don't mind it considering I am getting Xenoblade 2.  I just think X is way better than what people give the original xenoblade credit for.

I enjoyed the story of the original Xenoblade more but I liked the Xenoblade X more as a game with its huge world and things to do. I'm guessing thats why I'm so enthralled by BoTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LordOTaco said:

I enjoyed the story of the original Xenoblade more but I liked the Xenoblade X more as a game with its huge world and things to do. I'm guessing thats why I'm so enthralled by BoTW.

oh definitely.  BOTW has a lot of Elments from X that are also very similar inplemented in BOTW just more simplified so I think you'll definitely enjoy it.

Edited by kingddd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kingddd said:

oh definitely.  BOTW has a lot of Elments from X that are also very similar inplemented in BOTW just more simplified so I think you'll definitely enjoy it.

The shrines did vaguely remind me of the Probe sites in X.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both versions of BOTW have frame drops on the TV, but the Switch version looks a bit better with 900p instead of 720p.
The un-docked Switch version is 720p, portable, and runs the smoothest.
The Wii U version has a mandatory 3GB install, not including the DLC.

Overall, I'd say the Switch version is superior. Unless you have no self-control, I'd recommend waiting 'til you have a Switch and getting that version. There are still plenty of overlooked Wii U gems to play in the meantime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

True it would I know in Windwaker HD that was a literal godsend on so many levels. 

The amount of time I spent in menus in GCN TWW has absolutely nothing on the amount of time I spent in menus in BotW, so make of that what you will.  I'd honestly say the game's greatest flaw is the sheer number of inventory pages you need to get through to find what you need, and how often you need to do this, having this be on the gamepad with a tabbed interface would help tons, as would the ability to eat without pausing the game.

But yeah curse you Switch for gimping this game out of a potentially much better interface

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zera said:

I expect you to 100% it and give me the full scoop. No corner cutting!

No one should be subjected to 900 of anything collectible... Don't be cruel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to own both (got Wii U version back at launch, got the Switch and BotW again recently). The Wii U version runs decently, drops to sub-20fps in villages and stables are frequent, but it's not unplayable by any means. Load times aren't half bad either. I feel the resolution bump from 720p to 900p isn't that big, and the textures/draw distance are nearly identical. If you own a Wii U already, that version isn't bad at all. If you manage to find a Switch however, it's better to go with that.

EDIT: Saw your post about the Wii U version, hope you enjoy the game! My first run was an unforgettable experience.

Edited by DragonLord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Zera said:

I expect you to 100% it and give me the full scoop. No corner cutting!

Oh I will most definitely go more in depth with it than I did with my Final Fantasy XV review.  It will take a while though to get the capture footage and edit it though. 

18 hours ago, Locke087 said:

No one should be subjected to 900 of anything collectible... Don't be cruel...

My wallet is ready...not really though

11 hours ago, DragonLord said:

I happen to own both (got Wii U version back at launch, got the Switch and BotW again recently). The Wii U version runs decently, drops to sub-20fps in villages and stables are frequent, but it's not unplayable by any means. Load times aren't half bad either. I feel the resolution bump from 720p to 900p isn't that big, and the textures/draw distance are nearly identical. If you own a Wii U already, that version isn't bad at all. If you manage to find a Switch however, it's better to go with that.

EDIT: Saw your post about the Wii U version, hope you enjoy the game! My first run was an unforgettable experience.

Yeah thats how I feel.  I would hold off for the Switch version if I felt like more were gonna be in stock by the holidays but in all honesty from everything I've seen that doesn't seem likely.  At best we might be looking a a big restock in the October-November time frame that will most definitely not last long.  There might be smaller ones between now and then like there was earlier this month.  Funny thing about that was I had a good talk with a best buy employee about Zelda games (he was a cool guy) and he said they had gotten some that day the morning he got into work there was a line FYI he had no idea they were even getting a restock at all.  So you can imagine how those will turn out.

 

And thanks!  I plan to enjoy it fully!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Oh I will most definitely go more in depth with it than I did with my Final Fantasy XV review.  It will take a while though to get the capture footage and edit it though. 

My wallet is ready...not really though

Yeah thats how I feel.  I would hold off for the Switch version if I felt like more were gonna be in stock by the holidays but in all honesty from everything I've seen that doesn't seem likely.  At best we might be looking a a big restock in the October-November time frame that will most definitely not last long. 

If you are willing, I suggest using an online tracker that sends alerts to your phone by texts, you can easily get notified if websites restock online and buy one within minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DragonLord said:

If you are willing, I suggest using an online tracker that sends alerts to your phone by texts, you can easily get notified if websites restock online and buy one within minutes.

I'm guessing there are google playstore apps for that?  Or is it just done through nowinstock? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I'm guessing there are google playstore apps for that?  Or is it just done through nowinstock? 

I used the website NowInStock. Just make an account and set up TXT alerts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't compare since I've never touched the Wii U version (as I got my hands on a Switch and BotW for it at launch), but I've never ever had any issues with the performance on the Switch, and given that people are reporting some problems with the Wii U version, it sounds like Switch is definitely better. Though that's no surprise, really. :P

One thing I would complain about though, are some of the horse mechanics. When you make your horse gallop, you have to be careful in some areas or you can get the poor thing stuck on rocks and stuff. I've had this glitch happen several times and I wish a patch would fix it so the horse won't EVER suddenly leap up obstacles it'll get stuck on. Right now, I have to reload the save to fix the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

 

One thing I would complain about though, are some of the horse mechanics. When you make your horse gallop, you have to be careful in some areas or you can get the poor thing stuck on rocks and stuff. I've had this glitch happen several times and I wish a patch would fix it so the horse won't EVER suddenly leap up obstacles it'll get stuck on. Right now, I have to reload the save to fix the problem.

So what you're telling me is basically save before riding your horse everytime lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

So what you're telling me is basically save before riding your horse everytime lol.

Game saves automatically once in awhile, typically when you enter a significant area with a name (like a town/village, stable, or even a named bridge or named ruins), so that's no issue. I just get kind of annoyed every time I have to reopen my file simply because I accidentally had my horse run atop a small rock that it for some reason can't climb down from.

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that the patches were released for both Wii U and Switch. While the Switch got very good performance boosts, the Wii U still saw slight improvements compared to the original version. Thought I might make mention of that.

By the way, you just hold ZL and the horse will obey your movements, no matter how steep. Oh, and Master Mode only has one autosave and one manual save if you own the Season Pass and were playing that mode.

Edited by DragonLord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DragonLord said:

By the way, you just hold ZL and the horse will obey your movements, no matter how steep.

Oh. Huh. xP Wish I'd have figured that out sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DragonLord said:

I should add that the patches were released for both Wii U and Switch. While the Switch got very good performance boosts, the Wii U still saw slight improvements compared to the original version. Thought I might make mention of that.

By the way, you just hold ZL and the horse will obey your movements, no matter how steep. Oh, and Master Mode only has one autosave and one manual save if you own the Season Pass and were playing that mode.

 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Oh. Huh. xP Wish I'd have figured that out sooner.

Bug fix released just push ZL ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh. Huh. xP Wish I'd have figured that out sooner.

Haha, glad to be of help. You actually learn it from the kids at Dueling Peaks Stable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing for almost a week now and love the game and wanted to post a few of my observations on the Wii U version and the game in general.  Full review to hopefully come.

Hands down the most open world in Zelda if not in any game I've played thus far literally anywhere you see you can go to climb or whatever. 

Also the most difficult Zelda I've played counting the original, Skyward Sword Master etc.  I've died alot on the normal mode already multiple enemies specifically guardians can kill in a single hit even with decent upgraded armor.  Fair warning to the faint of heart the game does not hold your hand at all.  You have to figure out most things for yourself such as at the Great Plateau figuring out how to get atop the freezing mountain shrine without freezing to death multiple ways to do this none of which are immediately obvious.

The frame rate does suffer noticeably in the villages as others have stated its not unplayable by any means though.  Fortunately the action isn't to high paced or needs as you're mostly just walking through or buying items.

Its awkward having to be forced to use the gamepad for the gyro ball puzzles in shrines.  Particularly if I have it sitting in my charging dock and I'm using the pro controller and am told I have to use the Wii U gamepad.  Since my gamepad is sitting charging I pick it up to do the puzzle and the calibration is all outta wack and I have to reset the puzzle so I can use the gamepad properly. 

Loading screens are actually surprisingly fast even when fast traveling and I'm playing off of the Wii U disc no issues there.  On that note I love how when you are normally traveling by foot entering buildings, dungeons, villages etc there are no load screens and the transition is flawless i know it seems small but it really does make a difference in my eyes and makes the world feel more alive and real.

I have very mixed feelings on weapon durability.  I get the logic and challenge behind it, I like being able to use many different weapons, and I can appreciate it BUT:  I find that this discourages me from fighting enemies (which sucks since fighting in this game is actually quite fun) altogether since I don't want to break my good weapons as you need them for bosses, shrine guardian challenges, etc.  Of course, if you want to get materials for quests, to make ancient items, to sell and to cook you have to fight so its a bit of a catch 22.  This is especially problematic when some if not most of the better weapons break rather quickly. 

I feel a little awkward with the manual jump controls with B being used to run and X being used to jump on both the gamepad and pro I would have to consciously adjust my grip before each critical gap jump and it just felt awkward.  I tried switching the jump button so I'll see how that works.

I actually like how rupees are actually earned in this game.  Sure nostalgia I will always love finding inventory in pots and tall grass but here you actually have to win your rupees via games, quests, treasure or selling valuable jewels or food.  This gives a real sense of accomplishment to attaining things and makes rupees actually feel like a real currency that means something.  By the way not having a absurd wallet limit at the start is real nice too.

To be fair the dub isn't bad especially for Zelda's first foray into VA territory.  The only ones I kinda dislike are Zelda and Mipha.  Sidon, King Bosphoramus, and Urbosa are my favs so far.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...