FE GBA Randomizer Improvements

sorenwind

I've recently started tweaking the GBA Fire emblem randomizer (https://github.com/lushen124/Universal-GBA-FE-Randomizer-Windows/releases/tag/v1.1.0) to try and fix some of the common issues that occur for me such as:

• Heavily lopsided growths
  • Weird weapons (poison weapons etc)
  • etc

Wanted to know if there was any interest in these changes and if so, I can make them public. Also if anyone has any ideas, I can try and fix those too!

Personally, I think the main problem are those lopsided growths, for which there is already a fix it seems (https://github.com/lushen124/Universal-GBA-FE-Randomizer-Windows/issues/15) though I have no idea if or how to make it work (I use Parallels to run Windows on my Mac and it's not working all that well, I just can't make the randomizer run). If anyone else could report their experience with this fix it would be... appreciated I think? Also I have no idea what other glaring flaws the randomizer has; I guess the addition of new randomization options would be welcome though (like randomizing enemy classes and promotions)

I really like this idea. Here are my thoughts.

I think the most useful changes would be the weird weapons you mentioned. I don't care about the poison effect, my main problem is the eclipse effect. If something happens similar to my FE7 that has given me 6 archers in a game where the iron bow can't kill, I get angry. To a lesser extent, the devil effect is also annoying, but it at least adds to the humor of the randomizer.

Another thought is making so that, when movement is randomized, promoted classes always have equal or greater movement than their unpromoted counterparts.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds pretty legit! Would it be possible to also randomize held items/villages/chests as well? One of my biggest sticking points is that the randomizer always feels samey, since chests and villages are static. Also, I second the promoted classes always being > Move stat wise when compared to their unpromoted

What would be good for growths would be to be  ble to set a minimum and/or maximum growth.
Like, I don't want to have a growth above 100%, so if I could tell the randomizer, it would be nice (245%HP Growths and 5% everywhere else is fun, but not really practical).

On the easier things to do, having an option NOT to randomizes dancers/bards would be good as well.

• 2 months later...

Please make so that the lords get higher personal bases and their lord classes have lower bases. I often have to give up on Hector hard mode right from the first chapter since Hector sucks too much.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:22 AM, Enaluxeme said:

Please make so that the lords get higher personal bases and their lord classes have lower bases. I often have to give up on Hector hard mode right from the first chapter since Hector sucks too much.

Something you can do is, before randomizing your rom, use Nightmare and move some of the base stats from the lord classes to the characters themselves. Then, just save this specific rom somewhere else and make copies of it whenever you want to randomize. You can find Nightmare and guides for how to use it on the Resources forum (well, it is pretty intuitive, so you might not need a guide, but just in case).

This might not be a permanent fix, but it is an easy enough fix until a change to the randomizer is made.

I never tought about it, I assumed you needed a clean rom for the randomizer. I always did it the other way around, adjusting the bases after randomizing but it's tedious and you have to look at everyone's class so no surprises. Good to know, I'll try it.