The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

rainlash

On 6/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, scp omerta said:

Anybody know how to open the chest in the middle of chapter 3 or whats inside it?

you need to turn all the switches on and open it with renae or with an skeleton key

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to use a particular combat animation when wielding a certain weapon?  Like Knight Lord Eliwood when wielding Durandal.

Also, you know the feature in recent hacks where a finishing blow on a boss has the attack become a critical hit?  Would it be possible to implement that here too?  Although I've noticed that some sound files used by some units' criticals don't seem to exist right now, but at least those units lack the Critical skill so their crits go unused and no errors occur.

Finally, is it possible to implement battle music using the currently available coding and features?

17 hours ago, BBHood217 said:

Is it possible to use a particular combat animation when wielding a certain weapon?  Like Knight Lord Eliwood when wielding Durandal.

Also, you know the feature in recent hacks where a finishing blow on a boss has the attack become a critical hit?  Would it be possible to implement that here too?  Although I've noticed that some sound files used by some units' criticals don't seem to exist right now, but at least those units lack the Critical skill so their crits go unused and no errors occur.

Finally, is it possible to implement battle music using the currently available coding and features?

No, its not possible to use a particular combat animation when wielding a certain weapon. But I can add it to the todo list for 0.9.0. It'd be really easy to implement.

Also not possible to have a finishing blow on a boss automatically become a critical without modifying the code, but it would also be an easy change to the Engine, so I'll add it to the list. 

Do you know what sound files I don't have for the units' criticals? I know I'm missing the sound files used for the Sacred Stones monsters, but I thought I had all the sounds for FE7. Also, if you know the command code of the sound I'm missing that would be helpful too.

Battle music is available in 0.9.0, so not currently available.

If you want these new features, I can give you the latest build of 0.9.0, since I know you know your way around the Engine! I'm still bug-testing it, so you may run into issues, but if you're still up for trying it, P.M. me and I'll give you a link to the build.

Sorry for the late reply.  I've been figuring out how to get the sounds myself, and I think I can do it now.  If you want, I can get you the missing sounds and possibly even more (like monster sounds and spell sounds).

And while it's tempting, I don't think I really need any 0.9.0 features just yet so I'll hold off on it for now.

I found a couple of things:

- If a character's displayed name is different from their internal name (e.g., "Mekkah" but his displayed name is "Pitfall Man"), they appear as a generic unit during chapter play.
- interact_unit doesn't seem to actually ignore crit rates (and possibly also hit rate?).  If the crit is 0 (or not even used), then Crit won't work and it'll just become a normal Hit.  Likewise, a crit of 100 turns a Hit into a Crit.

Edit: sorry for my useless post, issues were easy to fix.

Now I have a question: Is there any command (like "Sword", "Lance", "Axe", "Bow" or "Magic" but called "stone/wrath" or something) on the software "fe_repo_to_lex" which compiles manakete animations transforming into a dragon and "untransforming" them?

Edited by FrankOfAltea

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a long while, but I finally made combat animations for this engine.  It's mainly for my own works, but anyone can make use of these as well.

Download link:
Combat Animations

Installation is simple: Put the Animations folder into the Data folder (move the old Animations folder elsewhere first for backup purposes).

Credits to all the people who made the custom animations: rainlash, AstraLunaSol, Dei, Fe7x Team, Keeks, Klokinator, MageKnight404, Temp, The Blind Archer, Solum, Iscaneus, Nuramon, GabrielKnight

Some notes:
- These can be used in The Raymond Chronicles right now, although you'll only see generic colors and sprites for all but one character and a few certain things will still be missing combat animations.
- The Raider and Dracolord from The Lion Throne are renamed here to Pirate and Dracomaster.
- The Skirmisher, Dragoon, Duke, and Lord aren't as complete as the rest because I wasn't gonna use them.  Also, I have no idea where to find a javelin animation for the Skirmisher.
- The Princess is from FE404, but apparently FEGirls also used it (it's a female pupil in that hack) which is why it's in the graphics repo.
- The Ranger uses nomad trooper animations because I prefer its sword animation over the one used by the FE8 ranger.
- The Strategist used mage knight animations in The Lion Throne.  I changed it to a male valkyrie and moved the old animations to the actual Mageknight.

And finally, I have a question: Does the fe_repo_to_lex converter also work on spell animations?

1 hour ago, BBHood217 said:

And finally, I have a question: Does the fe_repo_to_lex converter also work on spell animations?

Bishop (FE8), Mage Knight(FE8), Dark Druid (Nergal) and Valkyrie(FE8) animations work.

Mage(FE8), Sage(FE8), Dark Mage (Shaman FE8), Sorcerer (Druid FE8), and Archsage (Athos' class) don't, because they crash when they cast their spell, so I am using rainlash's default animations of these classes.

No, I don't mean the magic classes.  And on a side note, I actually fixed the converted mage and sage animations so they work now.

But I actually meant the actual spells.  As in Elfire, Purge, Luna, Ivaldi, Apocalypse.

18 minutes ago, BBHood217 said:

But I actually meant the actual spells.  As in Elfire, Purge, Luna, Ivaldi, Apocalypse.

Does the engine allow it? Sorry, I didn't know it.

I didn't know that fe_repo_to_lex could compile FE8 spells either.

Moreover, I don't know how to extract them from FEBuilder and put them into Lion Throne ^^"

On 4/23/2019 at 6:52 PM, Alventenie said:

I downloaded this today but for some reason the xbox controller isn't doing anything.

I've fixed this in version 0.9.0 of the engine, which will be released SOON(tm). In the Quality-of-Life update I accidentally goofed up the Xbox controller input handling.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, FrankOfAltea said:

software "fe_repo_to_lex" which compiles manakete animations transforming into a dragon and "untransforming" them?

Sorry, but the manakete animations are the last animation type that the fe_repo_to_lex converter does not know how to convert. I haven't made head or tail of how the manakete animations are set-up in the GBA games, so converting their animation files is difficult.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, BBHood217 said:

Also, I have no idea where to find a javelin animation for the Skirmisher.

I never made one. No skirmisher in The Lion Throne has a ranged lance option :)

On 5/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, BBHood217 said:

No sorry. As far as I can tell, spell animations are kind of hard-coded in the GBA games. I haven't gotten to work on deciphering them. For my spell animations, I just ripped the frames manually and coded up the scripts myself.

On 5/15/2019 at 9:31 AM, FrankOfAltea said:

Mage(FE8), Sage(FE8), Dark Mage (Shaman FE8), Sorcerer (Druid FE8), and Archsage (Athos' class) don't, because they crash when they cast their spell, so I am using rainlash's default animations of these classes.

I believe that the reason that these classes break when using the converter, is because the spell loop that these animations use (like when the mage's cape flaps in the wind during a spell animation) is hard-coded under a command code. If you replace the command code with the loop command like I have in my Mage and Sage animations, it should work.

Manually, huh?  I wonder if I should give that a try.  I currently only need three spells; two of them (Bolting and ranged Binding Blade) might be relatively easy, but I have no idea right now how to do Apocalypse.

5 hours ago, rainlash said:

I believe that the reason that these classes break when using the converter, is because the spell loop that these animations use (like when the mage's cape flaps in the wind during a spell animation) is hard-coded under a command code. If you replace the command code with the loop command like I have in my Mage and Sage animations, it should work.

When I converted the mage and sage, in their scripts were references to nonexistent effects like MageCrit and Cape Animation.  It's a good idea to test the animations after converting them because not all classes are perfectly converted.  I did my best to fix them, so the animations I've made available to download should work fine for the most part.

yo, i'm diggin this tool so far--is it possible to have units have unique animations or map sprites for a class, like in fe7 for serra, lucius, legault, etc? i REALLY like having unique looking units but having to duplicate classes/animations for each one is highly impractical

if not, i'm gonna put that forward as a suggestion for 0.9.0 if that's not some ridiculously complicated task lmao

also, might i suggest some music looping functionality, kinda like loop points in the actual games? it would allow for a song to have a long or otherwise unloopable intro but have the rest of the song loop cleanly. also some kind of music transition or pause for when phases change bc at the moment the music changing is kinda jarring, at least in the lion's throne (if this exists, don't mind me but considering tutorial distant roads had a similar fading out/non-clean loop problem while i was mid tutorial i doubt it but i've barely had time to play around)

9 hours ago, VeryButter said:

yo, i'm diggin this tool so far--is it possible to have units have unique animations or map sprites for a class, like in fe7 for serra, lucius, legault, etc? i REALLY like having unique looking units but having to duplicate classes/animations for each one is highly impractical

In rainlash's Gitlab webpage, there's a section about animations.

If you want custom animations for each class (0-4 for males and 5-9 for females), do this; for example:

Bishop0-MagicAnima-GenericBlue = male bishop animation (generic)

Bishop5-MagicAnima-GenericBlue = female bishop animation (generic)

Bishop6-MagicAnima-GenericBlue = Serra bishop animation...

Now you have "generic" units with custom anims.

specifically, if you want custom palette for each anim, then:

Bishop6-MagicAnima-NAME (NAME is your character's name), and now you have Serra's battler but with your fav palette.

Hope this helps!

Ed: I forgot it:

Don't forget edit "unit.xml" file at "<gender>N</gender>". (N=0 generic male, 1-4 custom male, 5 as generic female and 6-9 custom female)

Edited by FrankOfAltea

Map sprites, on the other hand, are a different matter.  Right now, there are only two possible variants for map sprites: male and female.  If you want a cleric that uses Serra's map sprite instead of the generic FE6/FE8 one (or Prim's in Lion Throne's case), you'll have to make a new class for it; in this case, you could duplicate the existing Cleric class info and rename its internal name as well as the map sprites relating to it to something like "ClericSerra".

11 hours ago, FrankOfAltea said:

If you want custom animations for each class (0-4 for males and 5-9 for females), do this

well, it's essentially a workaround, but it works! do you know if it's possible to extend the amount of gender variations there are? not that i'm gonna need that many for the thing i plan to make but hey may as well ask

8 hours ago, BBHood217 said:

Map sprites, on the other hand, are a different matter.

figured, that's how i have to do it while hacking FE8. it's real unfortunate because hECK do i love customization and uniqueness for my player units
i'd like to hold out for my suggestion being heard and implemented but to be fair there's waaay less limitations here so making an extra class a la awakening's chrom/lucina lords wouldn't be nearly as detrimental so i'll see what happens chrom and lucina have separate lord classes right

10 hours ago, VeryButter said:

well, it's essentially a workaround, but it works! do you know if it's possible to extend the amount of gender variations there are?

Sorry, I have no idea if open-source programmers or rainlash want(s) to extend that limit.

You can make a request.

15 hours ago, VeryButter said:

well, it's essentially a workaround, but it works! do you know if it's possible to extend the amount of gender variations there are? not that i'm gonna need that many for the thing i plan to make but hey may as well ask

figured, that's how i have to do it while hacking FE8. it's real unfortunate because hECK do i love customization and uniqueness for my player units
i'd like to hold out for my suggestion being heard and implemented but to be fair there's waaay less limitations here so making an extra class a la awakening's chrom/lucina lords wouldn't be nearly as detrimental so i'll see what happens chrom and lucina have separate lord classes right

It's not possible on the user's end currently to extend the amount of gender variations for combat animations. I figured 5 for each gender would be enough... But if anyone really wants that, I guess it's possible to extend it, although more than 5 variations per gender sounds like a lot, so its not high on my priority list.

Now, implementing more map sprite variations per class is something I've put on my to do list. It won't come out with v0.9.0 (since I've officially stopped adding features to that version -- just bug fixing now), but maybe soon after in v0.9.1. It'll probably be set up the same way as the combat animations, with 0-4 replacing male gender ("M"), and 5-9 replacing female gender ("F").

10 hours ago, rainlash said:

It's not possible on the user's end currently to extend the amount of gender variations for combat animations

that's entirely fair--5 is probably enough for the vast majority of people, but i was just checkin my capabilities as a sort of uhhhhh 'just in case' lmao

10 hours ago, rainlash said:

implementing more map sprite variations per class is something I've put on my to do list

heCK YEAH, i'll probably hold out on doing more than messing about until that's up then!

does the gender function affect anything in game, or is it just an appearance denominator?

• 3 weeks later...

As prophesied, Version 0.9.0 is out now.

The Turnwheel Update

Turnwheel5_3.gif

So yeah this update took forever. It required a massive overhaul of the Engine. Any possible action the player can take during a turn had to be rewritten to make sure it could be reversed on command. And because of this, I had to do a lot of testing for this update. As I am only one person, and so much of the Engine changed, there are probably still some new and improved bugs lurking about. Please report any that you find so I can fix them.

Turnwheel Info 

In The Lion Throne, I have set it up so that each level completed will grant the player one additional turnwheel use.

You can learn how to add the turnwheel to your own game here:

https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/100.-Miscellaneous-Stuff#managing-the-turnwheel

Supports

The Engine now has support for supports.

BaseSupports.png.a7fa9928567b718b9d6bf95f505b5e78.png

You can set up your supports to work like the GBA games where supports are gained in combat, or like Path of Radiance, where you choose who to support with whom in base.

You can learn how to add supports to your own game here:

https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/27.-Supports

Other Lex Talionis engine feature additions:

Spoiler
  1. Added more customization options for combat equations. Removed some of the customization options in `Data/constants.ini` (These have been moved to the new file `Data/equations.txt`)
  2. Added more constants that control how weapon experience is gained.
  3. Added a minimum damage constant to set minimum damage that can be dealt.
  4. Different classes can now gain experience at different rates (Added class exp multiplier)
  5. Units with Steal can now gain exp when stealing (set constant "steal_exp")
  6. Added support for multiple player parties in Engine (see https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/29.-Multiple-Parties)
  7. Can now change phase music with the event command `change_music` (like `change_music;player;Distant Roads`). Can now clear music stack with `music_clear`
  8. Can now change what statuses count as feats
  9. Can now change what stats Rescue will halve. In fact, rescue status can now be any status effect, as long as it's ID is "Rescue"
  10. Added `cannot_be_crit` status component. While held, unit cannot be crit.
  11. Added `no_choice` flag to event command "give_item". Use this in base conversations
  12. Lethal hit on a boss can now be forced to show a critical animation even if you otherwise wouldn't have crit
  13. Can now set items to use custom animations (like Durandal for Roy...)
  14. Items can now have range of MAG/2
  15. Can scale boss growths and boss bases by difficulty mode
  16. Statuses can now apply attackspeed bonuses and penalties
  17. Can now set up battle music
  18. And probably a lot more that I've since forgotten.

Like usual with big update changes, you will not be able to use old saves with this version of the Engine.

Other important notes for those using this Engine:

Spoiler

1. The newest version of the FEGBA2LT_animation_converter should handle everything but Mages, Sages, Dancers, and Manaketes.
  2. I also wrote a new utility that converts map sprites from GBA format to Lex Talionis format.
  3. If you'd rather start your game from the normal Fire Emblem base, I now have a bundle of data files that I created for the Sacred Stones in the Lex Talionis Engine.
  4. You can find these download links for these utilities and packages here: https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/101.-Utilities
  5. Can now automatically generate autotiles within the Level Editor.

Data files that need to be updated if you move to this version:

• items.xml (Skeleton Key)
  • status.xml (Rescue, Feat List)
  • equations.xml
  • constants.ini
  • difficulty_modes.xml
  • words.txt
  • And, if you want supports:
  • affinity.txt
  • support_edges.txt
  • support_nodes.txt

There have also been Audio/sfx updates thanks to BBHood217.

Other bug/minor fixes:

Spoiler
  1. Unit portraits are now correctly rendered when ID and Name are different.
  2. Units with Canto can no longer Rescue/Drop chain infinitely.
  3. Xbox controllers work again.
  4. Player controlled healers now prioritize lowest HP unit in range when starting selection.
  5. Victory screen now displays correct values.
  6. Unit tags and class tags now split.
  7. Disintegrate now correctly does half damage on miss.

Next Update:

Spoiler

v0.9.1 will be a small feature and bug fix update

• Fix music fade in/out -- rewrite music thread (loops, battle music, sections of music)
  • Add multiple 0-4, 5-9 map sprites for each class
  • Add separate combine action to convoy
  • Add support to fe_repo_to_lex for Dragonstone units and Mages/Sages
  • Add support for Silver Card

So, after seeing this, I decided to start working on a short hack with Lex Talionis, using your tutorial as a guide. However, when I tried opening the Level Editor to spawn some enemies, I ran into an issue. Instead of opening the editor, the command window simply gave me a Python error message - which I couldn't read or capture, as the window immediately closed. So, I'm left with a project I can't work on and a Level Editor that refuses to let me use it. Could you help me figure out how to fix the Level Editor, or at least see what the error message even is?

Thank you for your help!