The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

rainlash

21 minutes ago, rainlash said:

I'm sorry that's happening to you. It seems you found at least a jury-rigged solution of your own. I've tried to find the possible cause for this bug, but I've looked through my entire input code and cannot find what could be going wrong... I sped the cursor all the way up and moved around a lot on my own keyboard and nothing like it happened either. But others seem to have this problem too? 

When you go to the options menu while this is happening (the one with the "Suspend" option), does it skip all the way around the options menu, like from top to bottom, or does it stop on the "Unit" option? This will tell me the type of input error it is. Does minimizing the screen do anything? Does going to a different program (like the internet), and then going back do anything?

I know since the errors sort of random this may be a hard question to answer, but is there anything in particular you can remember doing when this happens that could shed some light? Since it doesn't seem to happen all the time, just sometimes?

It happens on the menu as well, i have to hold down botton and time it to suspend, which can be a real pain lol. and no switching to a different program doesn't do anything. 

I haven't found any patterns as to why it would be happening, but i do know it always starts at the start of player phase, its random, so not every turn, but at least twice during each chapter. And I've found lowering the cursor speed does lessen the problem, but it doesn't go away entirely. 

Edited by Thorgrun

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, i received this error during the sewers chapter at the start of turn 2. Game crashes during turn 2 no matter what route i take, stuck here and cannot proceed. 😕

Screenshot (11).jpg

Edited by Thorgrun

20 hours ago, rainlash said:

Tiled.

Thank you! I went ahead and made a quick test. It's based on one of your maps.

Also, thanks for the SS Summon code. I'll be sure to pop around if I have more questions, which, knowing myself, will be a recurrent thing.

test1.PNG

On 10/25/2019 at 2:59 AM, Thorgrun said:

Also, i received this error during the sewers chapter at the start of turn 2. Game crashes during turn 2 no matter what route i take, stuck here and cannot proceed. 😕

Thanks for the bug report! I've got a new build of the Engine up and running (v0.9.3.7). It fixes this bug you've run into here, and it should also fix your arrow key input bug! Thanks for telling me about the fact that it occurs when you start the turn. That gave me enough info to fix the bug (I think, hopefully!). If you were pressing an arrow key while the turn changed, it was possible that the input would skip and cause this bug. Now it should be fixed.

If you've never transferred to a new build of the Engine, it should be really easy. Just download the new Engine build from the same place you downloaded the old one. Then you can take your ENTIRE Saves folder from the old place you had it and move it entirely into the new Engine. Then you can run the new Engine and everything should work. I don't think you'll need to restart the sewer level (Chapter 9).

6 hours ago, rainlash said:

Thanks for the bug report! I've got a new build of the Engine up and running (v0.9.3.7). It fixes this bug you've run into here, and it should also fix your arrow key input bug! Thanks for telling me about the fact that it occurs when you start the turn. That gave me enough info to fix the bug (I think, hopefully!). If you were pressing an arrow key while the turn changed, it was possible that the input would skip and cause this bug. Now it should be fixed.

If you've never transferred to a new build of the Engine, it should be really easy. Just download the new Engine build from the same place you downloaded the old one. Then you can take your ENTIRE Saves folder from the old place you had it and move it entirely into the new Engine. Then you can run the new Engine and everything should work. I don't think you'll need to restart the sewer level (Chapter 9).

Awesome, thank you so much! 🙂 If i see another bug I'll let you know. 

This is a good little game you built, i have to keep reminding myself this isn't a hack, it just looks like an authentic GBA Fire Emblem game. The story-line wasn't too big like some others we all know (heres lookin at you last promise...>.>) My favorite hero was Eliza, only gave her 1 dracoshield: by endgame i could plop her ass on a pillar with a bravelance and she'd tear through literally everything!! lol xD

1199485540_Screenshot(13).png.5e74280ddb0bef5ad4b0308b022ff3ce.png

Also i saw many complaints about the caravan level, people think its too hard, yadda yadda. lol it is actually very easy and very rewarding. I was expecting this epic battle, the problem people are having is too much bumrushing. The key is sitting back and letting everything come to you. Stop rushing forward and you will have more success. The Wyvernriders in this game have almost half their normal movement ffs. lol come on now. 🙂 

Pros:

• Great hero development, and loved that you didn't throw 40 units in our faces forcing us to bench 70% of them anyway lol. The player must utilize all heroes. 
  • The custom mugs were done nicely, no 'reskin' here 🙂 All of your maps were done very well too.
  • Loved the new magic and that you could pick your heroes feats. 
  • The developer is quick to reply and fix all problems. which is awesome. 
  • Enjoyed the path of radiance features: Home Base, Auto-promotion at level cap, etc.

Cons:

• The game itself is very short, if i hadn't run into bugs i'd have completed this in under a day. 😞 This was done so well i wanted MOAR!! lol 
  • Feels like Mymrydon/Swordmaster luck/speed stats were severely nerfed, Ophie was getting hit constantly. An enemy axe user smashed him with a handaxe...o.O had to restart that one.. lol

That's the only complaint i have for this game. 🙂 Thank you so much for working on this and sharing it with us. Im sure i will play it many more times, and post bugs if i find any more. 

Edited by Thorgrun

Hello. I'm here to ask about an error I'm getting.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 116, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 43, in main
  File "main.py", line 61, in run
  File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 198, in update
    update_output = self.state[-1].update(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\GeneralStates.py", line 2095, in update
    self.message.update(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\Dialogue.py", line 199, in update
    self.read_script(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\Dialogue.py", line 135, in read_script
    self.parse_line(line, gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\Dialogue.py", line 839, in parse_line
    for tile_property in gameStateObj.map.tile_info_dict[coord].items():
RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration
52666   DEBUG:          Engine: Created save point from ./Saves\LDEBUGT2.p

This one happened as I tested the villageScript.txt code. I see you use these lines:

# Close the village
    change_tile_sprite;7,7;closed
    set_tile_info;7,7
    replace_tile;7,7;1
    t;1
    remove_background
    t;2
    give_item;{unit};Potion

To close the village.

I made a closed loose tile with the Thracia Tileset I got online, the same way you have set it up in Level2,

since my village tile is located at {7,2}, my code looks like this:

change_tile_sprite;7,2;closed
    set_tile_info;7,2
    replace_tile;7,2;1
    t;1
    remove_background
    t;2
    give_item;{unit};Thunderclap <- Sword I coded in that resembles Gaiden's Thunder Sword

From testing, I've singled out that set_tile_info causes the game to crash if it replaces the data of a village tile, if it replaces any other tile, the game proceeds normally.

So... what am I doing wrong?

8 hours ago, Art2193 said:

So... what am I doing wrong?

What version of the Engine are you using? There was a bug with the Engine where removing properties from a tile could crash the Engine a while back, and it looks like you have a different version than current -- since your line 839 of Dialogue.py does not look like mine.

If your version is not 0.9.3.7, I'd recommend upgrading.

14 hours ago, rainlash said:

What version of the Engine are you using? There was a bug with the Engine where removing properties from a tile could crash the Engine a while back, and it looks like you have a different version than current -- since your line 839 of Dialogue.py does not look like mine.

If your version is not 0.9.3.7, I'd recommend upgrading.

Alrighty. I'll update and see what happens. Thanks!

Howl Ward doesn't look quite right in v0.9.3.7, the meteors all fall single file instead of being scattered.

Edit:

On 10/27/2019 at 12:07 PM, Thorgrun said:

Received this bug report during the fight with the final boss.

Screenshot (12).png

I just got this too during testing when I tried to Hex an enemy with Reflect and Resist Status (it was a final boss).  Any suggestions for a temporary fix, or should I just wait for the next version?

Edited by BBHood217

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Art2193 said:

Is it possible to confer a skill to a unit via an usable item?

Sure is! Here's an example:

<item name="Phase Scroll">
        <id>Phase_Scroll</id>
        <spritetype>Consumable</spritetype>
        <spriteid>0</spriteid>       
        <components>usable,uses,beneficial,status</components>

<uses>1</uses>
        <RNG>0</RNG>
        <value>2000</value>
        <desc>Grants Shimmer skill permanently.</desc>

<status>Shimmer</status>
    </item>

You could make the Shimmer skill have a time limit to only give Shimmer temporarily to the unit that uses the item.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, BBHood217 said:

I just got this too during testing when I tried to Hex an enemy with Reflect and Resist Status (it was a final boss).  Any suggestions for a temporary fix, or should I just wait for the next version?

Thanks for the bug report! No temporary fix, just a weird corner case that popped up from the Python 2 -> 3 transition that I didn't nail down. It's the "Resist Status" status that is causing the problem. The next version of the Engine should have it fixed, along with the weird Howl/Gleipnir animation effect.

Is there a way to get rid of the particle effects in the title screen (it makes sense for Lion Throne but not so much when it's a different background that's not very fiery)?  I thought the tutorial mentioned it, but it turned out that the tutorial didn't mention them at all and in fact left them there.

6 hours ago, BBHood217 said:

Is there a way to get rid of the particle effects in the title screen (it makes sense for Lion Throne but not so much when it's a different background that's not very fiery)?  I thought the tutorial mentioned it, but it turned out that the tutorial didn't mention them at all and in fact left them there.

So there's an easy but somewhat hacky way right now. In the future I'll add a flag to turn off the particles, but for now:

Navigate to Sprites/General/Weather/SmokeParticles.png and open it in GIMP or Photoshop. You can't use Paint for this because Paint won't preserve the transparency of the image. Then, just make the whole image completely transparent. Save and overwrite the image. Now, even though the particle effect is still on, you won't see any particles in the title screen.

• 3 weeks later...

The Steal command isn't working.  I select it, but nothing happens.  This is even while the thief's speed is higher than the enemy's.

Also for combat animations, a character's displayed name is being used when promoting instead of their id name.

Edited by BBHood217

A new version of the Engine has been posted that fixes some bugs I've received reports about. The current version of the Engine is now v0.9.3.8. Thanks for your patience! 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:10 PM, BBHood217 said:

The Steal command isn't working.  I select it, but nothing happens.  This is even while the thief's speed is higher than the enemy's.

Also for combat animations, a character's displayed name is being used when promoting instead of their id name.

These bugs should now be fixed.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:08 PM, rainlash said:
On 11/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, BBHood217 said:

Thanks for the bug report! No temporary fix, just a weird corner case that popped up from the Python 2 -> 3 transition that I didn't nail down. It's the "Resist Status" status that is causing the problem. The next version of the Engine should have it fixed, along with the weird Howl/Gleipnir animation effect.

Also these.

Is the "num_levels" constant still used?  I noticed that it's missing from this new version, so is it not needed anymore?  Will the game still work fine and play through all the levels even if it has more levels than what the Lion Throne has?

Also, is that flag for the title screen particles implemented yet?

1 hour ago, BBHood217 said:

Is the "num_levels" constant still used?  I noticed that it's missing from this new version, so is it not needed anymore?  Will the game still work fine and play through all the levels even if it has more levels than what the Lion Throne has?

Yes. The game can determine the number of levels at runtime now automatically. Lines 80 - 150 of the Code/configuration.py file contains a list of every constant currently accepted in the constants.ini by the Engine.

1 hour ago, BBHood217 said:

Also, is that flag for the title screen particles implemented yet?

Not yet. It's on the to do list. I'll probably add the flag as an option in the constants.ini file but its not high priority since there is a solution, even if the solution is kind of jank.

I also forgot to mention that the trading menu had a usability upgrade thanks to djnemec of Gitlab. He upgraded the code so now the trading menu should behave more like the GBA games.

Everytime I try to run the LevelEditor, I get this error message:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "*****", line 4, in <module>
    from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QGraphicsView, QGraphicsScene, QDockWidget, QMainWindow, QErrorMessage, QFileDialog, QInputDialog, QMessageBox
ImportError: No module named PyQt5.QtWidgets"

I have python and pygame both installed?

17 hours ago, Athomus said:

Everytime I try to run the LevelEditor, I get this error message:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "*****", line 4, in <module>
    from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QGraphicsView, QGraphicsScene, QDockWidget, QMainWindow, QErrorMessage, QFileDialog, QInputDialog, QMessageBox
ImportError: No module named PyQt5.QtWidgets"

I have python and pygame both installed?

I'm assuming that you are running the base Python version of the Engine, not the Windows executable. It's not mentioned in the tutorial (which is my oversight -- sorry about that), but you will need to have PyQt5 (a GUI framework) installed to run the LevelEditor.py as a Python script. I don't know your method of installation of Python, so I can't necessarily recommend any specific way of installing PyQt5. I use Anaconda, so for me PyQt5 comes pre-installed, which is why it is my oversight.

44 minutes ago, BBHood217 said:

I can't seem to change the "money" constant.  Neither "set_game_constant;money" nor "inc_game_constant;money" work, my funds still show 0.

Try using the "gold" command instead. Because I added support for different parties in the Engine, there is no longer one single money constant. Now you use the "gold" command, which can be done like this:

gold;1000

to give 1000 gold to the current party, or like this:

gold;2000;Greil_Mercenaries

to give 2000 gold to a specific party. I will have to update the wiki with this change. I'll also see about adding a no banner version, since there currently isn't one.

It works now, I can finally get my gold.  This does mean that vanilla Lion Throne will have to be updated since it's still using the old method so that initial 1500 gold at the start isn't actually being given.