The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

rainlash

On 5/8/2020 at 1:09 AM, rainlash said:

I also want this. It's on the todo list, but would be made faster if someone could get me all the bitmaps for each of the new characters (both uppercase and lowercase, and for as many font types as possible). I'm not a good GBA hacker, so I don't know where I would look for the base font bitmaps. Once I have the bitmaps, its trivial to support UTF-8 for conversations and units, items, statuses, etc.

I've been looking for that fonts, and I've got some of them: utf-8 chars

If you need more of them, tell me and I'll try to get more!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, FrankOfAltea said:

I've been looking for that fonts, and I've got some of them

These were helpful. I ended up drawing a bunch of my own custom bitmap characters to go along with these, which I'm releasing with the latest build, v0.9.3.20.

Lex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_42.063472.png.0064c825971f96bec3348ec4813080e5.pngLex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_44.470248.png.b60c5ea9c8d38205999e48f4c00b1cb3.pngLex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_46.222728.png.206e7d849c5d20011939793b4724c472.pngLex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_48.886322.png.0fc869e325bfefd299bc9bb7fd5b4314.png

Unicode should also now work both in event scripts and in-game.

Lex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_45_09.280311.png.5a85c1c54c2a975172f4c48cac8ed78c.png

Although it's not super well-tested, so use it sparingly. UTF-8 should work everywhere, but there's no guarantee.

Obviously only the letters I bothered to draw will work, of course -- not every UTF-8 character. Here are the one's I drew.

Info_Black.png.c3e18223b72a5a679fb75e22ff5cdb23.png

Other fixes include two new unit tags: "IgnoreBonusStats" and "IgnoreBonusGrowths", which prevent a unit from receiving difficulty bonuses. And there should be some recent bug fixes as well. Tell me if there are any more!

Edited by rainlash
clarification on UTF-8

2 hours ago, Hibari Oozora said:

Does Lex Talionis support branching dialogue options?

Branch dialogue options?

Do you refer it as "if this unit -> this happens", else "this one"?

[In that case] Yep, you can. In my case I have to looked for in the githlab page and find the txt "de4th quote.txt"

and there're some conditions, like if an unit is de4d or not, or if this unit's team is player or enemy; tho and I hope that helps.

15 hours ago, rainlash said:

These were helpful. I ended up drawing a bunch of my own custom bitmap characters to go along with these, which I'm releasing with the latest build, v0.9.3.20.

Lex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_42.063472.png.0064c825971f96bec3348ec4813080e5.pngLex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_44.470248.png.b60c5ea9c8d38205999e48f4c00b1cb3.pngLex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_46.222728.png.206e7d849c5d20011939793b4724c472.pngLex_Talionis_2020-05-10_20_43_48.886322.png.0fc869e325bfefd299bc9bb7fd5b4314.png

Unicode should also now work both in event scripts and in-game.

Awesome!

1 hour ago, FrankOfAltea said:

Branch dialogue options?

Do you refer it as "if this unit -> this happens", else "this one"?

[In that case] Yep, you can. In my case I have to looked for in the githlab page and find the txt "de4th quote.txt"

and there're some conditions, like if an unit is de4d or not, or if this unit's team is player or enemy; tho and I hope that helps.

Awesome!

More like how the 3DS games and 3H let you choose a options when in the middle of dialogue. Like "Save Emmeryn: - Yes - No", "Fight for Hoshido or Fight for Nohr", "Kill Shura?" or 3 Houses numerous interactions where you get extra support points if you say what they want to hear.

Edited by Hibari Oozora

3 hours ago, Hibari Oozora said:

Does Lex Talionis support branching dialogue options?

Yes. You can use the 'choice' command to do this. The command is used like this:

choice;[title];[header text];[options list]

[title] is name of the choice event; what the player chooses will be saved as a game constant with this name. [header text] is the text that will display in the dialogue box above the options. [options list] is a list of options the player can choose from, each separated by commas. Here's an example of how to use it for dialogue:

s;Bob;Hey Mary! How are you?

choice;VibeCheck;How are you today?;Good,Bad
if;gameStateObj.game_constants['VibeCheck'] == 'Good'
                    s;Mary;I'm feeling good, thanks!
elif;gameStateObj.game_constants['VibeCheck'] == 'Bad'
                    s;Mary;I'm not feeling too good, Bob...
end

Hope this was helpful!

Edited by ZessDynamite

I noticed while playing Absolution that the world map text doesn't seem to have all the letters.  And sure enough, Label_white which has the text is missing some letters.  Would it be easy enough for me or others to fill in the rest of the letters, as the space for them seem to already be there?

9 hours ago, BBHood217 said:

I noticed while playing Absolution that the world map text doesn't seem to have all the letters.  And sure enough, Label_white which has the text is missing some letters.  Would it be easy enough for me or others to fill in the rest of the letters, as the space for them seem to already be there?

Yes. I only grabbed the letters that were available from the Sacred Stones world map. So the letters in "Renais", "Frelia", "Grado", "Carcino", etc. Obviously, a lot of letters are never used; If you want to add the rest, feel free and thanks!

Am I missing something or is there no "otherTurnChangeScript"?

Not a huge issue since I could just move it to the start of a player phase but I'm left wondering. 

Also, this formatting is all whack

choice;LanselotIntroduction;;1.You must forgive our error,2.Stay on your guard, Sister.

Is it possible to order the choices vertically so it doesn't glitch out like this?
I'm also not quite sure how to proceed after I set up the dialogue choice. The wiki says "The option the player picks will be saved under this name in gameStateObj.game_constants." But I'm again a bit puzzled as to how you'd need to set up the "if" command following that. 

I would think it'd be

if;'1.You must forgive our error' is in gameStateObj.level_constant"
	whatever dialogue
	end

but it's giving me issues...

image.png.0da59b841c9fd77a9e76a2dd1b1e1c75.png

Edited by Hibari Oozora

1 hour ago, FrankOfAltea said:

Well, I think I've found a bug

I'm not super well-versed in unicode..., since I just learned about it to enable the non-ASCII characters in the engine. My guess is that the bug is likely caused by your input not actually being valid unicode "utf-8". From my understanding, unicode is a multi-byte codec, which means each unicode character (or byte) is actually followed by another marking character (byte) (except the basic ASCII characters). Your error says "invalid continuation byte", which leads me to think that it is not being correctly followed by the right character.

"0xed" in unicode should be í , right? There are other subcodecs, like ""latin-1" that have "0xed" also meaning í , but without the continuation byte. Maybe your file is actually in that format? Try changing the format of your text file?

Otherwise, you can send me the script that the engine was reading when it crashed, and I can take a look.

26 minutes ago, Hibari Oozora said:

no "otherTurnChangeScript"

Yeah, there's no other turn change script. I figured any user could just move it to the start of the player phase, like you've thought of.

53 minutes ago, rainlash said:

"0xed" in unicode should be í , right? There are other subcodecs, like ""latin-1" that have "0xed" also meaning í , but without the continuation byte. Maybe your file is actually in that format? Try changing the format of your text file?

I've changed the txt file encoding from ANSI to UTF-8; It worked.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, BBHood217 said:

I've started adding spell animations, and I'm wondering if any new ones have been added in any newer version of the Lion Throne

Nope! Adding spell animations is HARD WORK. 🙂

On 5/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, Hibari Oozora said:

Is it possible to order the choices vertically so it doesn't glitch out like this?

I didn't see these edits? until just now. Uh, no not possible to reorder choices vertically in the base engine. So you gotta make sure your choices are small. I guess try and keep to yes vs no?

The check should be:

if;gameStateObj.game_constants['LanselotIntroduction'] == 'Forgive Me'
    s;Lanselot;Yay!
end

The choice the player makes is saved as the value associated with the key 'LanselotIntroduction' in game constants.

Got a couple questions.

1. I know you've been toying with manaketes since I sometimes come across them when surfing through the code.  Does this mean you've figured out how to rig them into LT or is that still a WIP?

2. Can you have range be based on a stat (like having Physic be based on the user's MAG)?  I'm guessing it's possible but I couldn't find any examples in the wiki.

3. This one's a little wild, but is it possible to have a skill's activated_item use extra_select?

27 minutes ago, Sealvester said:

1. I know you've been toying with manaketes since I sometimes come across them when surfing through the code.  Does this mean you've figured out how to rig them into LT or is that still a WIP?

It's definitely possible to put them into LT as is. Animations can have transform in and transform out poses, and you can access them by adding the "transform" component to an item (like let's say a Dragonstone). That should be all you need to make Manaketes work the way one would expect from the GBA games. Converting transforming animations from the repo using the animconversion utility is hit or miss -- Some of the animations seem to convert fine, but others just don't. YMMV.

37 minutes ago, Sealvester said:

Can you have range be based on a stat (like having Physic be based on the user's MAG)?  I'm guessing it's possible but I couldn't find any examples in the wiki.

Right now, you can only make range based on a number or MAG/2. For instance:

<item name="Physic">
        <id>Physic</id>
        <spritetype>Staff</spritetype>
        <spriteid>3</spriteid>       
        <components>spell,heal,uses,beneficial,map_hit_color,wexp,exp</components>
        <weapontype>Staff</weapontype>

<uses>15</uses>
        <RNG>1-MAG/2</RNG>
        <value>250</value>
        <desc>Restores (User's Magic + 10) HP</desc>

<heal>10</heal>
        <LVL>B</LVL>
        <targets>Ally</targets>    

<map_hit_color>96,144,232</map_hit_color>
        <wexp>3</wexp>
        <exp>22</exp>
    </item>

It's kind of janky. I'm exploring other ways of doing this for the future.

38 minutes ago, Sealvester said:

This one's a little wild, but is it possible to have a skill's activated_item use extra_select?

That is a little wild, but no. Not possible right now. Activated Items use the same routine as selecting a unit for rescuing, trading, etc, and not the spell routine, so you're out of luck. If you wanted to mess with the code, it would be possible to change that -- like force the activated_item to enter the spell routine instead of the select routine if the item is a spell, but for now, not possible. 

Found a bug while manually updating the font stuff on my build. Confirmed it exists on the official one:

Spoiler

For certain fonts, numeric characters are replaced with special characters instead. This means that numbers won't display properly in dialogue, weapon descriptions and (i think) skill descriptions too.

Here's an example using the latest build:

image.png.bcc0d5587a6f709c039ec6105a65ffe6.png

the actual text is "one two three four five 1 2 3 4 5"

1 hour ago, TheeBill said:

Found a bug while manually updating the font stuff on my build. Confirmed it exists on the official one:

You right. Thanks! It should be fixed now. AFAIK, it actually existed only on the git repo and not in the most recent build. I just forgot to push my changes that I made for the build to the git repo.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:36 PM, RandomWizard said:

can someone help me? i am trying to set phase music but the level editor crashes on me everytime. and i dont know how to get to the debug map. if you want to send me a message please email me @ bcabbagestalk88@gmail.com thank you!

On 5/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, rainlash said:

Nope! Adding spell animations is HARD WORK. 🙂

I didn't see these edits? until just now. Uh, no not possible to reorder choices vertically in the base engine. So you gotta make sure your choices are small. I guess try and keep to yes vs no?

The check should be:

if;gameStateObj.game_constants['LanselotIntroduction'] == 'Forgive Me'
    s;Lanselot;Yay!
end

The choice the player makes is saved as the value associated with the key 'LanselotIntroduction' in game constants.

No problem. Figured it out on my own by tinkering a bit. I was confusing "level_constants" with "game_constants" and that was giving me an issue. 

A bit unrelated, but is it possible to have the weather particle effects (like snow) be present in scenic map scenes? Since you toggle that from the overview.txt in the actual battle map, I'm not sure how to reproduce that when using backgrounds.

Also, is there any fire map sprite or tiles in a directory that could be used to give the scene a bit more mood?

7 hours ago, FrankOfAltea said:

I have a question. Will be a Linux version for this wonderful engine?

That's not really in the plans -- I don't have a Linux machine, although I guess it wouldn't be hard to spin up a virtual Linux box. I figure basically everyone who uses Linux in this day and age can navigate git, python, and pip, which is really all you need to run both the engine and the editor. If you're a Linux boi, you'll probably want to mess around with the bare code anyway! Plus, I'm not sure if a build of Linux on one distro would transfer correctly to other distros.

6 hours ago, Hibari Oozora said:

A bit unrelated, but is it possible to have the weather particle effects (like snow) be present in scenic map scenes?

No, I don't think it's possible to have the weather particle effects be above the scenic map scenes, unfortunately. You can use the `add_weather` command to ... add weather, but it only works on the main map, and backgrounds will be drawn above it.

6 hours ago, Hibari Oozora said:

Also, is there any fire map sprite or tiles in a directory that could be used to give the scene a bit more mood?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this... There is a "Fire" weather type copied from FE6, but I don't think this is what you mean.

In other news, Hibari Oozora, you might be happy to know that there's a new build of the engine with support for vertical choice menus, thanks to TheeBill, who took the initiative and coded them up for me. You can find the information on how to use them on the wiki.

See here:

VerticalChoice.png.38451cb7d74d500796ccb41398527626.png