rainlash

The Lion Throne (Fangame and Engine)

1 hour ago, BBHood217 said:

It's looking for overworld things, but I have it disabled (overworld = 0 in constants.ini and overworld_data.txt is completely commented out)

Sorry about that. The overworld code is still in a very Alpha state, so it needs to be fixed up. A quick fix on your end is to just don't totally comment out that Data/overworld_data.txt. You can make it look like this and the Engine should run well:

# Level ID ; Location Name ; Icon Index ; Position
===Locations
# Route connections (between level id's); Route (numpad)
===Routes
# Party ID must be integer ; Party name (must be character)
===Parties

I'll make a fix to master soon so that if overworld=0 it never tries to load any data about the overworld.

That fixed it, but now I think supports are suffering from a similar thing.  This happens whenever I select a unit, friend or foe:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "main.py", line 116, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 43, in main
  File "main.py", line 61, in run
  File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 207, in update
    mapSurf = self.state[-1].draw(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\GeneralStates.py", line 183, in draw
    mapSurf = StateMachine.State.draw(self, gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
  File "Code\StateMachine.py", line 279, in draw
    mapSurf = gameStateObj.drawMap()  # Creates mapSurf
  File "Code\GameStateObj.py", line 737, in drawMap
    unit.draw(mapSurf, self)
  File "Code\UnitObject.py", line 118, in draw
    self.sprite.draw(surf, gameStateObj)
  File "Code\UnitSprite.py", line 181, in draw
    elif gameStateObj.support.get_edge(cur_unit.id, self.unit.id):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_edge'

As before, constants.ini has "supports = 0" and both support text files have nothing defined.

I turned supports back on, and the error no longer happens.  This would be fine if I was ready to work on supports, but I was hoping to leave those for last.  But if they must be on, then I guess I'll have to change my plans a little.

Edit: I found another thing.  I think the unit's displayed name instead of their actual name is being used for combat animations; I got the generic animation when I tested this because the animation's filename was referring to the actual name and the unit's displayed name was different.

Edit: Is there a way to change the battle music?  I'm trying to implement boss music, but changing the music in fightScript isn't enough as the normal battle music overrides it once combat begins.  So the obvious solution is to just change the battle music itself and then change it back after the battle.

Edited by BBHood217

12 hours ago, BBHood217 said:

I turned supports back on, and the error no longer happens.  This would be fine if I was ready to work on supports, but I was hoping to leave those for last.  But if they must be on, then I guess I'll have to change my plans a little.

Edit: I found another thing.  I think the unit's displayed name instead of their actual name is being used for combat animations; I got the generic animation when I tested this because the animation's filename was referring to the actual name and the unit's displayed name was different.

Edit: Is there a way to change the battle music?  I'm trying to implement boss music, but changing the music in fightScript isn't enough as the normal battle music overrides it once combat begins.  So the obvious solution is to just change the battle music itself and then change it back after the battle.

I think I may have uploaded a newer version of the Engine that doesn't have the support bug, but if not, you'll just have to leave supports on for now.

I'll add the other two requests to the ToDoList. They'll be pretty easy to implement. I'll probably have a new build uploaded sometime in a couple of days with these features added in.

There's a new build of the Engine now available in the usual place (v0.9.0.4)

1. It has some small bug fixes and features
  2. Can now probably change battle music with "change_music;player_battle;my_battle_music"
  3. Unit's ID is used for combat animations instead of displayed name
  4. The wiki has been updated with the correct world map commands https://gitlab.com/rainlash/lex-talionis/wikis/23.-World-and-Scenic-Maps
  5. Support and Overworld bugs should be fixed
  6. The death_quote_info script can now access the unit's killer with self.unit2 from within "if" statements. I still need to add support for {unit2} in regular commands though.

Here's a sneak peek of the next big update to the Engine:

Adept1.gif

Pavise1.gif

I'm in the process of cleaning up the spooky advanced sections of the skill system to give user's more customization of skills. There will be no more "active" or "passive" skills that reference sections of the Python code. Instead they've been replaced with more customizable skill components.

And as you can see above, I've also added random proc skills, if RNG is what floats your boat.

Everything seems to work out.  My game can run with supports off and the battle animations are the correct ones.  And the battle music can be changed, although it doesn't seem to work for the enemy battle music; trying to use "change_music;enemy_battle" changed the enemy phase music instead.  Am I just using the wrong syntax, or is there something else?